Dottie's Dahlias

Chico, CA

Here are pics of my dahlias.. I fell in love with dahlias last year when I only had one plant... this year I went wild and bought a whole huge collection from Swan Island Dahlias, and then I went to Walmart and bought another whole bunch as they were so cheap there... so here they are...I don't have the names straight on them so just enjoy the pics.... Dottie

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

another

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

orange

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

yellow, these are huge...

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

some of my favorites

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

love these

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

did I tell you I love dahlias?

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

the fence you see supporting the dahlias is one I made out of fig twigs and branches when I cut back my huge fig tree. It was fun to make and is a great support...

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

one can't have too many dahlias

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

or can they?

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

I figured out that you must write something or the just the pic won't send....

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

white..

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Great photos and dahlias, dottie, yes it is easy to find something to collect. Maybe there will be some trading going on after the season is finished so stay tuned.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Dottie,
Of course, you sound like me!
Collect all you can!
Wow, looking good so far!
And to answer your question, Can you have too many? Of course not!
Love them.
Carol

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Your nest doesn't look empty to me, Dottie. It is filled with gorgeous dahlias! And your fence is great.

If you ever find you have too many dahlias there is only one solution - trade some to make room for more. LOL

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Dottie - lovely dahlias. I love everyone. The fig leaf fence - is it made in the shape of a circle or am I imagining things? Take a closer photo of it for us - please?

Chico, CA

Hi there, this is one of my twig fences that holds up my dahlias.This pic was taken before I planted the dahlias... I have another that is in another bed. Will take a pic tomorrow when it is light....Dottie

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

another little border

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh my, I like that!
You are very creative!
Those fences look so nice. They would be good to tie dahlias up by.
Carol

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Very nice fences, Dottie! They look wonderful.

Chico, CA

Here is the dahlia fence now....holding up the dahlia's ... as it should...

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

Here is the Dahlia Bed

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

And last but not least are my sweet little helpers... they are always ready to help Granny...

Thumbnail by Emtnest

Ooooooh, Dottie! What a couple of cutie pies!!!! Great fence too! :-)

Chico, CA

ok one more brag.... :)

Thumbnail by Emtnest

Love those smiles!!

Chico, CA

My Dahlia Bedroom....

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

today's pic

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

white...

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi emtnest and all, I am new here, invited by another dahlia friend, but I have to try out my first post at Dave's by saying I LOVE YOUR TWIG FENCE! It is a thing of absolute beauty, let alone your flowers and your impish young helpers- so cute.

I'm sure I will enjoy the many photos and dahlia posts as I learn my way around.
Poochella

Chico, CA

Thank you Poochella... we have our home up for sale.... I think the market went soft when we put it up....I love doing twig fences...and stuff like that..I am currently making a birdbath....Dottie

Chico, CA

Here is a dahlia that I just discovered open...it must have gotten put in the same wire basket as the yellow one next to it...have no idea what it is but the pic does not do it justice it is beautiful......Dottie

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh my, right you are: it's a frilly beaut! Another beauty to add to your bevy LOL. I looked back and really like that red/orange tipped and edge in yellow- very dramatic. Should know the name, but I don't.

And that little collarette in bright pink/white with bright yellow center- so cute! Your collection of the varying purple/whites is a great photo too- shows how different flowers can be off one plant. And more than ever, I adore that fig twig fence you've created- it's purely wonderful and I hope you take it with you when your house sells.

Chico, CA

Poochella.... are you on the garden web site also? I keep seeing your name there...no bites on house, might just have to keep those twig fences ...lol Dottie

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes, Gardenweb is my second home. Anywhere there's dahlia info I migrate eventually.

I think people are just a little bit frightened of the outrageous housing market popping its bubble. Don't know about Chico, but up here the realtors will say there's no such thing as a bubble, but tell that to someone with a multi-thousand dollar mortgage due each month. Our neighbors have had their house on the market since July. First price drop was an even 100K. Ouch. They've had two people look at it, as of a month ago. They are going to have to go even lower I'm afraid, if they really want to sell it.

Chico, CA

This is today's pic of same as above..

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

and a different one.

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

so glad I'm getting blooms again...

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Chico, CA

after giving my dahlia's a healthy dose of chicken poo, they quit blooming for about a month... too much nitrogen I guess... that's what they say anyway...

Thumbnail by Emtnest
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

LOL Someone needs to hit me with a shovel: I just now got your screen name; LOL was going to call you Em then thought, maybe they're an EMT? silly me.

I love your rooster! Handsome fellow. I hope you're not in the same boat as me by adding high nitrogen late in the season, or maybe you didn't do it so late. I'm still inquiring about its effects on tuber storage. Will let you know what I hear.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.