varigated MG

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi I have a varigated MG and its growing crazy but no flowers to early in Milw, Wisc any advice ???!! .....Sharon

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Do you fertilize it? If so that could be the problem MG's don't like to be fertilized, they will give you all green and no bloom. I would guess though that it's just a tad early, mine here in zone 5b are just now within last few days starting to bloom, I think perhaps you are just a little behind me. I'd say give it some time, it will probably show you lots of blooms soon :)

Laurrie

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Hi sassygranng and Laurrie(!),

I have an alternative perspective on the 'MG's don't like to be fertilzed' hypothesis to offer and to consider...

Too much of the macro nutrient Nitrogen can often delay flowering depending on all(!) factors of soil chemistry and climatic conditions considered together,...but there are many different(!) types(!) of plant nutrients(fertilizers) and nutrient modifying(!) factors for Nitrogen to always be considered as flowering inhibiting...
Phosphorus and Potassium as the other macro-nutrients can often be flower inducing,and should be considered as potentially helpful to flower induction along with micro-nutrients like trace minerals, which can be additional factors that can alter the response of different plants...
Ratios(!) of all factors present can cause markedly different effects and are an important aspect to keep in mind when considering the effect of soil components on plant response...

I have experimentally grown various MG's in very high nitrogen mediums and had no problems with the plants blooming and in some cases even blooming earlier than expected...

Try some of the most common bloom stimulating fertilzer compounds that are available that are usually very Phosphorus based and contain very little if any Nitrogen,they might work for you in your area in conjunction with all of your local conditions...

Try different things and find out what works the best for you,regarding any particular species/cultivar and in whatever various soil and climatic conditions that the plants being grown are subjected to...

Hope something I mentioned may prove to be useful...

This message was edited Aug 15, 2005 10:27 AM

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Ron :)

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Ron thank you for the advice . I need all the help I can get !!.Sharon

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.