Queen of the Night, Dutchman's Pipe Cactus, Night blooming Cereus (Epiphyllum ox

Spring Hill, FL

Queen of the Night, Dutchman's Pipe Cactus, Night blooming Cereus
Epiphyllum oxypetalum

Picture on our cool deck by the pool

Thumbnail by barbian
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

This, this is a lovely plant, but it is an Epiphyllum, not Cereus fernambucensis. Please email DG (using the report an error link) and have them move your photo to the correct Plant Files record. This will help keep the Database accurate and not confuse folks . ..

thanks,
Onalee

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I agree that this is an Epiphyllum instead of C. fernambucensis, but as to which Epi, I don't know. Do you know onalee?

The same goes for this other photo by barbian:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/87204/

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

They both look like Queen of the Night , Epiphyllum oxypetalum, to me:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2443/

Onalee

Mishawaka, IN

i cant get mine to bloom ive had it for about 8 years and it has bloomed once thanks

Thumbnail by flowersr4u
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

It may need more sunlight and/or some bloom booster fertilizer during the growing season. I have a friend who has his in mid day sun for about 2-3 hours a day (in Florida) during the summer and he uses a weak bloom booster fert. every time he waters - his plant is always COVERED with blooms all summer! I'm not as festidious about the fertilizer as he is and, even though I got my plants from him, mine don't bloom nearly as much as his do.

Houston, TX

I just started mine (epi) and I'm trying to get the correct way to take care of it. I've heard so many conflicting instructions. Some say water it a lot and others say barely water and as for sun, some say don't put in full sun, just dappled sun and I've heard the opposite. I've read: Just forget you have it and it will take care of itself. So what's a girl to do!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

mistyke,
You definately don't want to over water these - make sure you have well draining soil and water weekly or when soil has dried out. I keep mine in bright shade, they may get some direct sun in the mornings, but during mid day they are in shade.

They don't need a lot of care - pampering them is probably worse than ignoring them.

good luck!
Onalee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.