ButterflyChaser hospitalized... trades pending?

Two Rivers, WI

Hey ButterflyChaser:
Glad your on the mend and please accept my best wishes for a safe and speedy recovery. As someone who has had KS on more than a few occasions I understand what you are going through. Last time I had a stone, about the size of a quarter, they used lithotripsy to blast it. The operation was painless and the stone(s) were so small there was no disconfort when they passed. That was four years ago and I have been stone free since than. . Thank God.
Again Best Wishes and know I will be praying for you.

semesterke

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Semesterke, tell me more! I've requested surgery instead of litho since I have three large stones. I've passed so many that I feel I've hit my limit. I still have stones in the other kidney I'll have to deal with later. So I was afraid if they did litho, they'd just bust these up into more painful pieces to pass, and I didn't want to go thru any more. So, honestly? They broke yours up tiny enough that you passed them painlessly? I could live with that! Please tell me more!

Hi Mitch and Arlene!

NancyAnn

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Nancy,

My husband's niece's husband is in the medical field and had to go through the lithotripsy (say that three times after two drinks) many times, over 3 months, to bust up his one 9 mm stone. Go online for more information in addition to whatever you find out here!

Arlene

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

I appreciate everyone's kind words for me, but I was only doing what a "bestest" friend does! If it was YOUR bestest friend, wouldn't you do the same?

You guys wouldn't believe how hilarious she is! I think our personalities compliment each other's. We started off thinking we'd refer to ourselves as Lucy and Ethel, but then Nancy said "Hey! I know! Thelma and Louise!" lol But then she told me they drove off a cliff at the end and I said "huh-uh! I ain't drivin' off of no cliff with you!" lol (No, I haven't seen the movie... )

Gail

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Nancyann, glad to know you are on the mend! Hey, my cannas are gorgeous! You have made a convert!

Two Rivers, WI

ButterflyChaster:

Yes you said it, in your question. I had one stone the size of a quarter and a few smaller ones. It seems the stones "hang" inside the kidney, it's when they move and block the exit, that the real pain starts. I am sure you know what that feels like. I have had to go to the hospital a total of 4 times on different occasions and had them removed by other means. The last time I went one time in the hospital and the stones were blasted so small I never felt a thing and have not had any problems since then. My operation was performed in a semt-truck that "makes the rounds" at several hospitals, since the hospital did not have the equipment on site. That was something different, being rolled out into a semi van!. You may have different type of kidney stones than I did. Mine were all calcium, as I collected them and the doctor had then tested.

Pirl said it right when she said "Go online for more information in addition to whatever you find out here!" I would add talk to your doctor and demand more detailed information. Given the choice, I'd have them blasted any day. Your doctor should know what is best for you.

Nancy,

How are you this morning? Better, I hope.

Semesterke has an excellent point: why choose the knife if the lithrotripsy can do it?

And as for Gail: a true friend isn't there to bail you out of jail but to sit beside you saying, "Boy, that was neat: too bad you got caught". You're a very good bestest friend, Gail.

Centerville, UT(Zone 6a)

If you doctor and your health insurance/budget agree, lithotripsy is definitely the way to go. I had it done a few years back on a 12 mm. Never felt any of the small pieces coming out. Just had to catch them in a very fine seive so the doctor could have them analyzed. My experience was in a semi-trailer too. It was so odd being wheeled out of the hospital into the parking lot to the side of a truck. Got a ride on one of those hydraulic lifts and before you know it, it was done. Antibiotics, the seive, and a follow up with the doc was all there was left to do.

I sure hope you have this option but your doctor will have to determine that. I think a lot depends on the location of the stones.

Best of luck to you.

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

So is SHE, pirl, cause I know she'd do the same for me! I'll just be glad when they're gone and she can be WELL! I hate seeing her unable to take care of her gardens because THAT drives her crazy and makes me feel guilty that I don't have more time to help her with that.

When she DOES get over all of this, though, y'all better watch out! She's going to return to the OBSESSED mode! LOL

I like that "jail" thing and have heard it before, but my current favorite is (not that I would do anything like this, but......):

A friend will help you move......
A really GOOD friend will help you move a body!

Gail

This message was edited Sep 14, 2005 6:15 AM

That's great! I also loved the Tide email. That would cheer up Nancy!

Two Rivers, WI

ButterflyChaser:

Just wanted to add that if your doctor is offering you the option of having your stones blasted, I am sure he has informed you that: (1) There will be little or no pain, and that was my experience. (2) Your kidney is a vital body function. Surgery is a lot more dangerous than the stone blasting and is less stressful to not only the kidney, but your body as well. (3) I was not “put under” during the procedure and went home that day. I did have to visit my doctor the next day. If I remember right, other’s that I talked to while waiting, were going to have the same operation and had to spend the night but they said it was just so they could be watched and were expected to go home the next day. (4) There is so much less risk of infection because they are not operating and cutting you open. (5) No blood loss. (6) No scaring.

I can understand your frustration and the need to get it over with. Quicker is not always better, but I feel this is one case where it is. Even if you would have to go back for a second treatment, it would still be worth it over having an operation and all the related problems. I returned to work with no restrictions the following day. Hey I didn’t say everything was perfect about this procedure.

If I can be of any more help, please let me know.

Talk to your doctor and again, best of luck to you.

I and other friends will be watching and praying.

semesterke

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Just found this - so sorry you've been going through all this, Nancy. Watched my Mom a couple of times and it was painful just to see!! I've heard good things about the lith-whatever treatment. Will be thinking of you and praying.
Sharon

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Tell you what, Nancyann, if I ever get sick, I'm going to stick with DG! These people are so supportive it's unbelievable. I'm thinking if everyone were like this, the world would be a peaceful place. You've had a ton of good advice so here's mine: (You know I just can't keep my mouth shut at a time like this! lOL)
You're going to do fine! And so is your garden! Just keep it watered and the rest will take care of itself. Afterall, we're heading into fall anyway!

Gail, I know you are so right! This woman will be a woman posessed when she's feeling back to 100%. I can just see the trade pages now! Man, I wish I were in Arkansas because I know she's going to do one of her 'come and get 'em' posts!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Hi guys, just a quick update. I went back to ER this a.m.

I felt so good yesterday, especially yesterday afternoon. Went to bed tired but painfree basically. Slept all night thru. Woke up to sweat everywhere, stinky sick sweat. My hair was wet. And I wasn't even hot. And I was in severe pain, like I had Sat that sent me to ER in the first place.

Gail came and got me and rushed me to ER again. I spent most of the day there on some good drugs to knock out the pain immediately. An Xray said everything is ok, the stint is still where it should be. No new problems. About 2:30 they decided to send me home with a Rx for this pain killer. They think the stones just shifted around and were stabbing me. Said I'll just have to keep taking the drugs until I have surgery. Nothing else they can do right now with the infection going on. They said there's no new problems to worry about so they can just make me comfortable until they can remove the stones. They did say the bacteria causing the problem is E Coli. If I remember correctly (I was drugged by then), he said we naturally have it in us anyway but our body fights it off. In my case, my body was overloaded.

The drugs really knock the pain out fast, but they also wipe me out. I get so dizzy and drowsy. So I'm basically worthless--can't drive, can't really think, can barely walk straight. I imagine I'm just going to be sleeping the next week or so away unless these crummy stones behave. Sure wish I could spank 'em with a wet noodle! LOL

Thank you for all the info and advice. Your experience with stones really helps. I'm glad this was posted here. The doc is leaning towards lithotripsy and now that you've told me you passed the stones without feeling them, I'm more inclined to go that way. The doc hasn't really said much. In fact, he's been very vague about everything. He just keeps saying, "Let's wait and see" and "I haven't decided how I want to handle this yet". He's pretty concerned about the infection. The main priority right now is to get rid of the infection. I see him on Mon to see what we'll do, but I think the litho will be the solution.

In the meantime, Gail is taking good care of me. She just left here about two hours ago. She's been babysitting me at the hospital all day. And like a real friend, she helped me move a body--my own! LOL Thanks, Gail, my bestest friend!

My little sis in TN is coming to Mon to help me clean my house for the party and carry all the yard sale boxes to our storage building since I ended up in ER right before the sale was to begin. Pretty nice of her, huh? I sure do have some wonderful people in my life, now don't I?

NancyAnn

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Nancyann,
I am so glad your little sis is coming to help. You take ti easy!!!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Nancy wish I was closer to come over and help you too. Sit back and rest for a few, dont know anything about stones but keeping my prayers for you going. Mitch

Thinking of you, Nancy, and hoping there's no more pain.

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Nancy, just sleep. Sleep, sleep, sleep! Your body needs the rest so it can heal. Thank God for Gail and your sister!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

NancyAnn,

I am sorry to hear of your pain. I am no stranger to chronic pain; three years ago I had surgery on my lower back. I had suffered for years before and since the surgery, it is as if it never happened. I pray this will be the outcome for you and that you can garden like a mad-woman in no time.

Take good care of yourself and get lots of rest. The plants will wait, and what can't can easily be replaced - you're at DG!

~Angela

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I do worry so much about my plants. Some of my plants cannot easily be replaced. I have some very unusual, expensive ones that I was lucky find. Some are tropical and need to be moved to my atrium. And some friends are coming over this weekend to help me do that. It will be a relief to have them taken care of.

I also make my living with my plants, so if I lose my stock, I may not be able to pay the electric bill. Gardening is my life, not just a hobby. Fortunately, today, Mother Nature has taken pity on me and is watering my precious babies. Thank you, Mother! LOL

I slept pretty well last night and am up and about without too much pain. I haven't had a painkiller in about 4 hrs. And there's only some minor aching. I'm going to see if I can skip the painkillers for a while since they completely wipe me out. I got "thangs" t'do! I can't spend my life sleeping. I'll get enough sleep when I die. LOL Maybe if I keep enough fluids going thru my kidneys, it will "float" the stones so they aren't resting against an inflammed wall. Ya think?

Wish you guys lived closer. I'd put you all to work. LOL

NancyAnn

I'd love to help you out Nancy but all I can do long distance is hope your friends, locally, can get your treasures into your atrium.

Floating the stones sounds good but I thought you were already on a gallon of water a day?

Try half of a pain pill. Let us know how it works.

I used to be on 26 pain pills a day. Had my operation for misdiagnosed (12 years) trigeminal neuralgia and I'm as good as new. For anyone out there diagnosed with TMJ, drop me a note.

Wishing you the best Nancy. You're too sweet to be in pain.

Arlene

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Hey Arlene, I've been taking 1/2 a pain pill. Since I don't do drugs (rarely even aspirin), my body is very sensitive to them. I have to be very careful even about the over-the-counter meds. One allergy med I took said I could take it every four hours. I took one dose and was "out of it" for over 24 hours!

I'm up and about and trying to tidy up the house just a bit. So far so good. I may take some Alleve and see if that will knock out the cramping. It doesn't really hurt enough right now for strong drugs. And I've got so much paperwork to do today. I really need to be awake and alert.

Gonna go check on my mom. Or rather "check in" with her. She's been a bit worried. So it delights her when I wander down to her house so she can make sure I'm ok. I guess we'll be looking after each other today.

No worries.

NancyAnn

Two Rivers, WI

Hey ButterflyChaser:

Glad to hear you are not taking those pain pills all the time. Thats what I did and it makes life so much better during these trying times. Best wishes for more pain free time continue to head your way. It's also good that you have someone to help you out with your plants.

semester

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Owie owie owie! Just saw this thread. I try to stay OUT of the plant trading forum b/c it gets me in trouble!

I am glad it appears to be passing NancyAnn! I've had gall stones but I heard Kidney stones are the next best thing to giving birth!

Hope your Dr. takes good care of you and gets you back on your feet!!!

Take care of yourself!

Nicole

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Nancy, glad to hear that 'mother' has taken care of watering for you for today! And that friends will take your tender plants into the atrium. You're good for asking for help when you need it. That's a hard thing to do for some of us. Keep up the good work and spirits!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

watching this thread with hope, good wishes and sincere prayers

Nancy,

Long ago I wished the pain killers would work but after that operation I've never needed them. Aside from our one baby aspirin a day we don't take any pain medications.

I only had the one kidney stone, in July, and it passed a week later with the most minor ouch. Easier than I could have believed and I hope the lithotripsy works for you with the same results.

Thinking of you, all the while I dig out daylilies and know you'd do it better and faster. This will be the few days in my life that I can do more than you so I'm enjoying it. We're finally getting some rain or I'd still be out there.

Arlene

Myrtle Beach, SC

Hi Nancyann
I sent you get well wishesto the hospital. If you didnt get mine then there may be others missing also :))
So glad you are doing so much better, May God bless you and heal you completely very quickly!! Enjoy the garden tours !!!
Margo

Joseph, OR(Zone 5a)

My gosh! NancyAnn, you are in my thoughts! Stones are NO laughing matter! I only had one, but I'll remember it forever!

James

Nancy: update please!!!! Arlene

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Morning, everybody! I must say, I'm pretty tired of moping around. This slow speed is definitely not me! Yesterday I was tired and nauseous all day and in pain most of the day. I got NOTHING done, except my hair and my toes. Yep, I went to the beauty school in town and got a haircut and a pedicure. I Knew I wouldn't accomplish anything all day anyway, so for a couple of hours, I let the students pamper me. Then I came home and napped all afternoon. I sure felt better when I got up.

Today, I'm still tired, but I think it's just the drugs. Some friends will be here soon to help me do some weeding and move things around for my garden party next Sat. Terry cooked us all breakfast and I'm starving, so I hope they get here soon. My tummy is growling.

I am so sick of being sick! I'm ready to move on! My patience has run out I think. There's so much to do. And the weather has finally cooled off to a comfortable working temperature and I want to play in the dirt. Hopefully soon, these stones will be gone.

Thanks everyone for the concern and the best wishes. I think my guests have arrived. Oh Good, now we can EAT! LOL

N.

Nancy,

Happy Breakfast! Hope you'll soon bounce back and return to playing in the dirt.

Arlene

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Nancy, hope you can find a little something to do outside today. I know when I'm feeling down, being in the garden is the best thing going.
Are you still trying to kick the infection?

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Today is the first day I awoke without pain since last Wed. I haven't had to take any pain meds today. YAY!!!

Went to the doc. He wants to do lithotripsy, to the tune of $8000+. The hospital wants $2500 up front before they will schedule the treatment. So we're trying to get me admitted to UAMS in Little Rock if I qualify for any of their financial aid programs. Apparently in my own town, there are no programs. The doc said I can wear the stent for 3 months, so I have 3 months to find a resolution.

I want to thank Breeze03. I just got home and your "get well" package was in my mailbox. Thank you so much for the beautiful butterfly magnet! I love it! Thank you for your best wishes too!

NancyAnn

NancyAnn,

So glad you're not in pain and so ashamed of myself for not sending something to cheer you up.

I'll go out looking tomorrow and see what I can find.

Arlene

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Arlene, no need to send me anything to cheer me up. Not being in too much pain all day is just what I needed! Tomorrow is my last day of antibiotics, and I'll be so happy to be off the drugs completely. They just wipe me out. Hope the pain continues to subside into nothing. Maybe I can get back outside and play in the dirt. That's all I need to perk my spirits up ya know. My favorite quote is "Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "One must have freedom, sunshine, and a little flower." Bring it on, I say!! LOL

NancyAnn

There must be something beside Dove chocolates for you so I'll keep on thinking.

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Nancyann, glad you are feeling better! Hurray for being drug-free! LOL

Two Rivers, WI

Glad to hear you are feeling better.
WOW, I had forgotten just how expensive an operation like that is. I had good insurance coverage from my job so out of pocket expense was almost nothing. I sure do wish you the very best of luck with your attempts to qualify for any of the financial aid programs you may find and will continue to pray that the time until you have the operation is pain free.
Take Care
semesterke

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I'm having my first litho treatment on Fri!!! I'm so excited! We have two hospitals in town. One refused to allow me treatment without a $2500 downpayment. The other has approved my request for financial aid. And they approved me for 100% of my hospital bills. It doesn't cover the urologist, anesthesiologist, radiologist, or pathologist. But it does cover the first hospital stay which came out to $5400!!! I haven't yet gotten the bill for the second trip to ER. But that will also be covered.

I don't yet know if the total of the litho treatments will be covered since the hospital contracts with an outside source to have the equipment brought in. It's actually a mobile unit that travels around and "rents" space and time to the hospital. The procedure is done in the back of a truck. Doesn't that sound wild? I may actually be responsible for the mobile unit's fee. I don't know yet.

But I'm just so excited to have the treatment. The doc said due to the size of my stones, I may need several treatments. I hope he's wrong, but if they don't cost me too much, they'd be well worth it. I can't wait to be done with stones and infections. I don't think I'll know how to behave once I'm "normal" again. It's been years since I was pain free and not running to the bathroom every 15 or 20 minutes. Just think of all the free time I'm gonna have! I'll be able to get so many projects done, it will be unbelievable! Wooooooo!!! Can you hear the excitement?

N.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images