ButterflyChaser hospitalized... trades pending?

Two Rivers, WI

NancyAnn:

I have been waiting for word on how things are going for you and this is all such great news. Hope and pray that your stones did what mine did and just turn into tiny grains of sand.

Best Wishes and best of luck.

semesterke

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Semesterke, for all your information. You and Jolene have been very helpful. My doc and I did discuss surgery, with him cutting a small incision in my back and going into my kidney with a telescoping tool and retrieving the stone. It would have meant a stay of several days in the hospital, and would end up costing as much as the litho treatments I am having. So I chose the litho, which was really what the doc wanted too.

So tell me, after they analyze your stones to determine their makeup, then do you need to do something different, be on a different diet or something? What's the purpose of analyzing them? Is it just another thing to make money for the lab? I really don't wanna pay anymore unnecessary bills if they don't really affect my life. I couldn't care less what the stones are made of. I just want them gone.

And tell me, if you had multiple treatments, how long do they wait between treatments. Can I have one a week until the stones are fully crushed? Or do they do one a month or what? I'm eager to get away from all these "white coats" and get back to being me. I feel like a child on a long trip: "Are we there yet??" LOL

N.

Two Rivers, WI

NancyAnn:

Great hearing from you!

Having the stones tested helped me a great deal and I feel it was worth the money. It gave me the information I needed to stop the cycle of pain, hospital and doctor bills and enjoyment of life in general.

In my case, each of the four times, the stones were calcium. I realized after talking to the doctor and going through this more than once, my eating habits had to change, unless I wanted to continue this cycle for the rest of my life. The doctor advised me that I could suffer kidney damage or failure by placing the additional stress of the stones and operations on this organ.

A review of my eating habits showed that:
1. I ate tons of foods high in calcium. I overloaded my body’s ability to process calcium AT THE LEVELS I was taking calcium in and UNDER THE CONDITIONS I was following.

2. I was not taking in much citrate acid which helps prevent this type of kidney stone.
Since I identified the type and cause, I found in my case, I could CONTINUE to eat these same foods in the same amounts as before and not develop the stones.

The changes needed were minor:
1. Drink more water to help flush the calcium from the body. I hate plain water, but found a SLICE of lemon or lime or other fruits (orange, grapes, and grapefruit) changes the taste enough that I can drink it without having to suffer.

2. Include foods high in citrate. I now use lemon juice as part of my food plan, using it as part of a salad dressing, in meats as a tenderizer and fish for flavor. I eat more citrus in different ways to help my body more.

3. Cut down on salt intake. I just used less and found that over time I have cut back more while still enjoying the flavor of food.

Changes you may need to make may not be the same, based on the type of stone you have.

Regarding “multiple treatments”. My doctor also advised me before I started treatment the last time that more than once may be required. In my case, once was enough. The stones were blasted and no return treatment was required since the last time six years ago. Your case may be different and you need to talk this over with your doctor depending on how things go.

Hope this helps a little. Work with your doctor and follow his suggestions.

My best to you. If I can be of any more help, just ask.

semesterke

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Nancy! (My daughter's name...)
I know nada re kidney stones but I have had many many bladder and kidney infections. Now I take vit. C which makes my urine less hospitable to everyone's favorite, E. coli. You do know that blood is THE most painful irritant to your bladder. And the stones? I'd have 'em analysed! What if they're concrete, or brick, or porcelain, or coins? Calcium seems the most likely, because you do ingest it. I have osteoporosis and I have to eat these huge Calcium-absorbing pills Fosamax. Blechch!
I'm so glad you're feeling more better than not and hope always for more good days than bad ones. What is your business?
Carrie

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Hi Carrie,

The blood in my urine has always been the result of passing a kidney stone. I've been passing stones and dealing with infections for about 12 yrs. It started about a year after I began working in construction.

I used to drink about ten canned sodas a day--never any water or juices--just soda. I was constantly dehydrated and couldn't figure out why since I drank so many sodas. Weren't they hydrating me? NOOOOOO the doc said, they do just the opposite. And sugar and sodium are both leading causes of stones, as well as dehydration. When you dehydrate, the "sand" settles in your kidneys instead of washing out. Then the crystals just build until they're a stone. So I gave up sodas several years ago. No coffee, no tea. Just water and fruit juices. I drink lots of water to flush out any remaining particles. I've cut out salt and I'm working on cutting down on sugar too.

I've already made the necessary dietary changes needed for any type of stone I may have, so I think I'll pass on analyzing them. It's just another bill I'd have to pay. And even tho the hospital bills are taken care of, right now, before lithotripsy, I've incurred about $1500 in medical bills other than the hospital bill, which I'll have to pay. I don't know how much the doc will charge for the litho. I'm afraid to ask, especially knowing that I may need two or three treatments. I'll cut corners anyway I can. I don't really care what the stones are made of. And finding out probably wouldn't change my lifestyle anymore than I've already changed it. I did lots of research on the net to find out do's and don'ts so I could avoid being so miserable.

My mom takes fosamax too and her pills are rather small. I wonder why you have such a big one? She has severe osteoporosis and takes fosamax once a week. But they're only about as big as a motrin caplet--maybe even a little smaller.

My business is an at-home nursery that hasn't taken off yet. I've been too sick the last couple of years with one thing or another to get my nursery fully operational. But hopefully next year will be my year. I'm ready to get the show on the road. LOL

Thanks you guys for all the suggestions. Y'all have been a big help and put my mind at ease. I'm so excited to have the treatment Fri. It's such a relief knowing that I CAN have treatment and soon I'll be normal again.

NancyAnn

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh Nancy, I just saw this! I had no idea your stones were causing you problems again. I am really sorry to hear that. I hope your procedures go flawlessly. You are in my thoughts.
Donna

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Hi Donna,

The stones have never quit! But this time it was much more serious than just passing a stone. And finally I'm going to get it all fixed tomorrow! You have no idea how excited I am!!! You know I've dealt with these stones and infections forever. They've disrupted my life repeatedly with unexpected pain and fatigue at all the wrong times, causing me to have to cancel get togethers and outtings. And then there's all the time I spend in the bathroom and at doctor's offices. I cannot wait to finally have a life! I'm on cloud nine today just thinking about the new life that awaits me. I'm not a bit scared about the procedure. I'm excited! Let's do this! I wanna be me again.

Once this is all done, y'all just try to keep up with me! I'll be like the tazmanian devil--twirling thru my gardens at the speed of light! Bet ya can't keep up! LOL

NancyAnn

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

That is no lie!! You work circles around me even now! I certainly want you to be free from it all, but I've got to tell you.... I don't know how I'm EVER going to keep up with you then!!!!!!!
Gail

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Gail, you just hang out with me and I'll crack the whip a few times and whip you into shape. LOL

N.

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Sorry, but I'm not "into" that kind of kinky stuff.... lmao
G

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Well.... Nancy should be at the one-day surgery place now. She may even be done! I'm supposed to get a call from our friend Liz that's driving her today to let me know what's up, so I'll let everyone know if I hear anything!
Gail

Granbury, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Gail please let me know how Nancy comes out of this thing today. We are finally getting a little rain shower here today so I am hoping for a slow day at work. The boss has been gone all week and I have to carry his projects so I have been busy. Holler when you hear something. Tanarae

Two Rivers, WI

Hey Nancy looks like I was not the only one thinking of you and wishing for some real good news on this what I hope will be a positively great Friday!

Best

semesterke

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Oh, yes.... Nancy has LOTS of friends thinking about her today, and apparently all that good karma has paid off! I just got a call from the ButterflyChaser herself, and she is about to be on her way home!! Liz is on her way to pick her up now.

She tolerated the treatment well (although she did express that she had some significant pain by the end of the treatment) she is now down to "just" cramping pain.

I'll be taking her lunch and checking on her, but she has already said she's got to get home, 'cause.... (and if you know Nancy you know what comes next...).... "I got THANGS to do!!" lol There'll be no stopping her now!

Gail

Granbury, TX(Zone 8a)

That is great news Gail. I hope the one treatment ends up being enough although I have my doubts. Tell her hello and give her a big Squeeze at lunch for me! LOL Tanarae

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Well, she's feeling bruised on her back and she said it feels like her kidney is cramping up occasionally, but other than that she seems fine. She was going to take a nap when I left. I'll be going back by there after work.
G

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Thank you all for your best wishes. I pulled thru with flying colors. Don't anyone ever tell ya that litho doesn't hurt. It does. It feels like 4000 tiny stings--like a stinging showerhead, only one sting at a time. Even with all the drugs (valium, demoral and morphine) that they gave me, I still felt the stings and cramping for about 30 minutes. As soon as they were done, though, the stings stopped. And the cramping reduced to bearable.

After Gail brought me lunch, I took a percocet for the cramping and promptly went to bed. I just woke up a few minutes ago, still groggy, but I have a feeling I'll be outside all day tomorrow! I'm on "light duty"--that's what I call it. They said I could resume normal activity, but no strenuous lifting for a few days. They consider lifting a 40 lb bag of soil to be "strenuous". For me, that's "normal activity". LOL

I see the doc again in a week and he'll xray me to see how the stones look. And then he'll determine if I need another treatment. But he thinks I won't!!! If I don't, he'll finally remove this uncomfortable stent and I'll be me again!!! I'm so excited!!! It's well worth the stings and cramps which were nothing compared to the pain I've been in. Yipppeee kaya-ya-yayyyyyyyyy!!!!

I've already begun passing the fragments. They look like little grains of bone, about the size of sand. I'm so looking forward to an end of the pain and infections I've suffered with for the last 10 years. The last couple of years have been brutal and now it's all over!!! I'm thrilled!!!!

So you guys look out. I'll be a tazmanian devil in my gardens now and you won't even be able to keep up! Now I can start ticking those projects off my list. The whirlwind is back so get outta my way! LOL

NancyAnn

Abbottstown, PA(Zone 6a)

Nancy
I am so happy for you to be on your way to full recovery,, Thats what we all want..
I had a appointment to go the doc yesterday but we were in the middle of building my green house and I lost track of time,, when I realised it , it was to late,, So I called them and told them I was very sorry that I missed my appointment,, and will reschedule next week.
You take it easy till you feel better ok.
vicki

Two Rivers, WI

This is great news NancyAnn. So glad to hear that things went so well for you. Hope the doctor is right about you not needing more treatments. Good thing we live so far apart. Hate to get in the way of a tazmanian devil, espically in a garden.

Continued Best Wishes for a quick recovery.

semesterke

Centerville, UT(Zone 6a)

NancyAnn, I am so glad you had this procedure. Isn't science wonderful? Now you can get on with a much improved and better quality of life!

It sounds like you've gotten a lot of good advice on diet and water consumption. Although I, fortunately, have only had the one huge stone, my DH suffered with them repeatedly for many years. Unfortunately he was one of the few (10%) who created both calcium and uric acid based stones. The good news is that between changing his diet and water consumption and taking a pill called Allopurinol, he's been free of them for about ten years now.

Best wishes to your full recovery and getting back to what you love best!

Jolene

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I am so happy you are home & doing well Nancy!

Granbury, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey girlfriend that is such great news. I hope you don't need anymore treatments! That would be really great news. I am going to give you a call tomorrow. Going to town to work a little on the house and will call from there so I get better reception. Get some rest tonite and you will probly feel better tomorrow and there will be no holding you back! Tanarae

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

I tell you guys... she's better already! It wouldn't surprise me if she's out first thing in the morning zipping around in the bobcat her brother has borrowed to move all that dirt he's had hauled in!

Oh, gosh.... I better rest up! Her return to normal will probably be the death of me!

Gail

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Now, Gail, you know Terry won't surrender that bobcat. He only has it for one day and it's his first time on one. He will not let me, the more experienced operator, take it over. You saw he had the key in HIS pocket, where I couldn't get it. LOL And I'm pretty sure that the way that thing bounces, it would qualify as "strenuous activity". It will shake you up like a milkshake! LOL But if you hadn't been on one, we might get Terry to let you run it for a minute or two. You just gotta try it out. It's my favorite piece of equipment.

I'm up early, thanks to Dude who was meowing to go out. I just love that cat. No litter box for him. He wants to "get back to nature" and that suits me just fine, even if he does wake me up. Sure beats cleaning the box!

I feel great! A little minor cramping but some motrin oughta cure that. It's going to be one of the best days in my neighborhood in a long time, I just know it! Yeeeeeehaw!!!!

N.

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Am I too late for breakfast? I'm on my way over!
G

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

NancyAnn, hurray for you and for it being over and for getting back to 'normal' activity! I'm so very glad for you that it's done. Although I must say,.... 40 pound bags is 'normal' activity? Well, LOL I do know what you mean!
FYI, I'm designing one of my beds around a big patch of cannas for next year! See - you've made another convert!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Nancy,

So glad you're feeling good. Your positive spirit is a blessing to all who read your posts. You're a terrific influence on all of us. Wishing you, always, continued good health.

Arlene

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

It's gone, gone GONE!!! The doctor removed the stent and man I feel better already! YES!!!

He thinks I won't need anymore lithotripsty, for now anyway. He thinks the stone is fragmented enough to pass, but it might not be. He said if a piece gets stuck in a ureter, then he'll have to go in and get it. OUCH!!! Hope I'm asleep for that! He said I do have some "big" fragments, but he THINKS I can pass them.

I also have "physical therapy" to do. I'm supposed to get a board and angle it. Then I lie upsidedown, on my belly, on the board and someone is supposed to hold a vibrator over my kidney to dislodge the stones. He said they're in my "back polar region", whatever that is. So they have to be jarred loose.

He also said I can now do heavy lifting and stuff if it feels ok to me. And he warned me to watch out for fever and chills because I could get more infections as these stones work their way out.

I go back to see him in another month for another xray. I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't have been better to just have him open my kidney and take the stones out to begin with. I've passed enough stones already to know this is gonna hurt! But at least I can garden. I'm not stuck in the hospital.

Yippppppeeeee, the annoying stent is GONE!!! Now, I've got thangs t'do!

NancyAnn

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hurrrrrray! So glad it's gone and you're spirits are right up there where they belong. Good for you!

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

NancyAnn,

Glad you're better. We don't know each other - we talked about a couple of trades that fell through - but you seem to have some friends here who care. There's not many things more important than friendships.

I wish you well in your recovery.

Steve.

p.s. Ain't kidney stones gnarly? I've been blessed with a few myself!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Hi Steve, Yes stones are horribly painful. I've dealt with them for years. Hopefully I'm almost done with them. Have yours gotten so big that you needed professional help to get rid of them? I think the stent was worse than the stones. The doc said it dilates the ureter which is why it's uncomfortable.

I'm passing quite a lot of "sand" painlessly, but I know when the bigger pieces pass, it will hurt and I dread it. I don't look forward to my "therapy" because I know it's gonna make more pain for me. And I tell ya, I like this "no pain" living. LOL

I'm doing quite well, back to normal nearly. My best friend and I built a 40 ft privacy fence yesterday. And today I'm landscaping the 40 x 40 bed there, which I've aptly named "The Back Forty". LOL It's just wonderful to be pain free. I just have an abundance of energy now! Just in time for fall planting!

NancyAnn

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.