Moonflower vine

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

This vine has been putting on quite a show every night - just beautiful! This picture was taken when it bloomed for the first time. Now, it's putting out about 6 blooms every evening, but so far, no seed pods.

Thumbnail by KayJones
Augusta, WV(Zone 5b)

KayJones - Very pretty!!! Gotta love the scent those flowers put off. Ours didn't grow as well this year as we wanted, but still had enough flowers to enjoy them. Had nice foliage but few flowers this year. I'm certain it was our rich soil in this particular location we grew them. These vines like poor soil best for some reason ;) Anyway I like your photo, especially the wet appearance, makes the leaves nice deep green and glossy.
Dennis

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

The moist tropical forests that this species is native to doesn't have 'poor soil'...I wonder how they managed to evolve,thrive and spread around the rich soiled tropical areas...

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Had to sneak out in the dark to catch these! They close up as soon as it's light. Took a long time to get blossoms at all, planted seeds in May and just saw blooms start a week or so ago. First frost could be as early as two weeks from now. Hope I get to enjoy them a little longer! And yes, that's a little mg peeking out at the bottom.

Thumbnail by meezersfive
Augusta, WV(Zone 5b)

ron_convolvulus - Define poor soil or rich soil? Maybe that is what should be asked. If you've been to any tropical areas of the world or have some knowledge of the quality of the soil i.e nutrients, etc.... that would help us greatly understand what soil is best for these vines.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2005 8:29 AM

This message was edited Sep 19, 2005 9:19 AM

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Dennis - duplicating the soil from the areas of origin may(!) be helpful,but not necessarilly,because it is not just the soil that affects the behaviour of the plants...the sum total(!) of all(!) factors in any environment that can affect the growth/behaviour of the plants...factors like various soil conditions and the all important ratios(!) of various macronutrients,micronutrients,various salts,specific microflora(affecting root absorption and transformation of various elements/compounds) ,quality and quantity of the light received(both direct and reflected),temperature and humidity gradients all add up to a formula...and duplicating or replicating the formula that exists in a particular area or locality is probably not always a 'practical' possibility...additionally,the sum total 'chemisry' of an environmental formula can be potentially significantly altered,modified or reversed by altering important ratios of the numerous factors both known and unknown...the soil that works in Buenos Aires may not work well in Albany,NY for any of the reasons and factors mentioned,so I truely believe that general rules of thumb can be helpful,but each person may find a ratio of factors that works for them in different localities,and the formula that works in Albany,NY may contain factors and features in contradistinction to what may work in Buenos Aires or any other local environment with a set of different variables...
Many people have devoted lifetimes to studying the varying effects of a single(!) substance within chemical formulas and in various 'natural' and 'simulated situations...the mathematical permutations of the effects of varying a large number of different potential factors in an electro-magnetic chemical 'formula' are almost infinite...
The definition of 'poor soil' is a relative one,because what may be 'poor' soil for a particular plant and a particular locality can vary,but usually people in general tend to think of soil as being 'poor' if it is low in the macronutrients,most usually nitrogen,but obviously soil can be low(poor) in the other macronutrients like phosphorus or potassium,and the various trace minerals can be more or less significant in any particular 'formula' that either 'does' or 'does not' work well as a growing/flowering media/stimulus for any particular plant...
Plant hormones are manifold in number and stimulatory or inhibitory in effects...ratios of different hormones can cause a stimulus to become an inhibitor and vice versa...
The many gibberelic acids and other gibberellins are an excellent example to illustate the effect that chemical ratios can have on stimulating the sprouting of seeds of various plant species... a hypothetical example as follows...
a)'certain' very low concentrations having a stimulatory effect,
b)medium concentrations having an inhibitory effect,
c) high-medium having a stimulatory effect
d) very high concentrations having an inhibitory effect
e) all of the above being highly modulated and variable by the prescence or abscence of a large number of other environmental factors

I encourage gardeners to experiment and find what works well for each of them in their local set of conditions,both known and unknown...
Thanks for your interesting question...

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

My moonflower has finally started blooming! I had given up on it, lol.

I started the seeds inside in early March. Would starting them earlier get them to bloom earlier? Or are they just always going to bloom this late? My friend has some wild ones growing on a chain link fence, and hers have been blooming all summer. I don't know if they are a true moonflower, or a white MG. How do you tell the difference? She's been ripping them out for several years, but they just keep coming back. I'll try to get some seeds from hers for my own fence.

mg

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

mornin_gayle - I'm on my way out to catch the train,but a very quick response...be careful that what your friend has is not Calystegia,as this type of bindweed is very invasive and very(!) difficult to get rid of once it gets a good hold in the earth...Please be careful(!)...
TTY'all...

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

oh Yikes! sure scare me then run to catch a train. Come back Ron, Come back!

mg

Shelton, WA(Zone 8a)

mornin gayle,
Ron is very very knowledgable on bindweed. Maybe you could snap a close up photo of your neighbor's plant and post it for an ID. If it is bindweed, you do NOT want it, I promise!
Andrea

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's a pic of my lavender moonvine . . . I too had to sneak out to take the pix!

Thumbnail by Nicholejean
Archie, MO(Zone 5b)

Nicholejean that's just the one! i've been looking for seed, where did you get them? Gotta any extra? (grin)

Goodlettsville, TN(Zone 6a)

My input on the poor soil issue mentioned above:

Last year I had poor results with moonvines planting in the native soil about the house.

This year I planted in a pot full of new potting soil--and had fantastic results.

But as Ron said, there are many other factors so Your mileage may vary.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2005 8:51 PM

Honokaa, HI

I have oodles of seeds for the huge white ones...will trade or provide for sase. My plants are extremely prolific and I will post pics later.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2005 10:54 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.