Show cyclamen

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Thought you'd all enjoy these beauties from the local Alpine Garden Society show I went to yesterday - some stunning plants

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

This one is Africanum - same as the first

Mirablile Tilebarn Jan

Another Mirabile

Beautiful persicum foliage

Rohlfsianum

Cyprium ES

A lovely foliage form of Mirabile and the flowers aren't bad either

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Beautiful pictures, Galanthophile. The Mirabiles are especially wonderful.

somewhere, PA

Thank you Galanthophile! They are gorgeous!

Do you show cyclamen or simply enjoy them at the show?
I've got a bunch of seedlings from this spring I'm hoping to
someday grow into show plants.

Tam

I don't show any plants although I'm a member of the AGS. I think I would need an alpine house to get any plant to this pristine stage. I just go along to admire the plants and take photos. They have some plants for sale but I didn't buy anything this time.

somewhere, PA

Oh well - I don't have an alpine house either. I wonder if I could get them
to show-shape in my greenhouse. we'll see.

Thanks again for the pic's ... really a feast for these alpine-starved eyes.
Tam

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Very nice! What is the trick to growing cyclamen? I have 2 plants in pots that are limping along right now. They put up flowers pretty consistantly, but droop alarmingly on occasion when I don't keep the fluids coming....I'm not sure I have them potted properly or if I can put them outside even

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

They seem to have told you the answer themselves: Keep the fluid coming! LOL.

I plant mine high in the ground, with at least the top half of the corm (is it a corm? I think it is) exposed, in a moist shady or semi-shady spot. I have a few in the sun, but they have to be watered twice a day. I'm in zone 9, however. I guess you should just plant them high in the pot, keep them in the house, and keep them well watered.

It depends what sort of cyclamen you have. If they are hederifolium that flower in autumn then you should be ok to plant outdoors. Same with coum which flowers in spring. Some are not hardy though. They are a species that one could right alot about! As Zuzu rightly says they don't like to be planted too deep and in the ground they can tolerate quite dry conditions. In pots they are more difficult as you have to get the watering just right. Watering from the base is best I find as you don't have any option of rotting the top of the corm.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Wow, what stunning plants! I have 6 species in my collection but am lacking Mirabile and Rohlfsianum. And none of mine have the spectacular foliage of those show specimens. Hederifolium is peaking in pots and outdoors here but the rest of mine are winter-spring bloomers....I grow mine in pots but they never look like those...maybe 3-4 flowers if I'm lucky!

I think rohlfsianum is one of the very best - Paul Christian rare plants sell it but they are v expensive. It was a joy to see such siperb plants

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

I keep going back to the first picture- it's sooo beautiful- i'd love it on my wall- the petals are like pink flames- you take very beautiful pictures,G....

Thanks everyone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.