S FL Galloping Gardeners 10/10/05

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

We'll continue here now. We can post about our adventures tomorrow with a fresh new thread.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

the begonia alba,clock vine, aristolocia, or any thing would be fine. is there anything specific you are looking for?

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

i have a few rooted chenille plant and will soon have some white chenille rooted. anyone interested

Thumbnail by candela

I can bring you some Begonia cuttings. The Aristolochia and Clock Vine pictures were taken at Butterfly World, so I don't have those in my yard. If you can reserve me some white Chenille I would appreciate it.

Va
Edited to add a sentence.l

This message was edited Oct 9, 2005 9:41 PM

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Good Morning Everyone!
Cassandra, We are easy to spot. Look for an attractive blonde, an attractive strawberry blonde and an old guy with black glasses and a shoulder bag, who is usually late.

Cassandra, I'll try one of your rooted chenille plants, if it's not too late.

I saw this in the bulletin board section of the paper this morning. I thought I would post it since a few of you are into orchids.
Annual orchid auction, 7 p.m. at Christ Lutheran Church, 1955 E. Oakland Park Blvd., Fort Lauderdale. A variety of plants available at low cost. Hosted by the Fort Lauderdale Orchid Society. Call 954-564-6933

The story I went to the newspaper site for is another python story. Some of you may have seen it on TV last night. I put it in here for Sylvain.
Python devours 18-pound feline
It had been only two days since Elidia Rodríguez had seen her Siamese cat, Francis. So when a Burmese python showed up Sunday in a wooded area behind her house in northwest Miami-Dade County, the 66-year-old woman thought nothing of it.
That was until her son, Andres, noticed a peculiar bulge in the python's belly. "I'm sure there's a cat in there," he said later.

It's the latest python incident in South Florida, where exotic snakes are proliferating and swallowing pets and other creatures whole. A 13-foot python recently gulped down a 6-foot alligator until its stomach ruptured. And for residents like Rodríguez, Sunday's incident heightened the concern.
On Sunday morning, Rodríguez was walking her dogs when she encountered the snake, which was 10 to 12 feet long, her son said.
He said his mother called him to the scene because he had caught snakes on the property before. He said he was trying to capture it when he noticed the bulge. That's when he decided to call 911. The Miami-Dade Fire Rescue anti-venom unit arrived and bagged the python about 11 a.m.
"It was a pretty good-size animal, and it wasn't friendly, either," said Capt. Al Cruz.
He said when he tried to grab the python, it tried several times to bite him, which could have inflicted a significant wound.
Cruz said the bulge in the python's stomach was about 15 to 16 inches, and he suspected it was the 18-pound cat.
"I even felt the legs in the stomach."
He said the python was taken to A.D. Barnes Park in Miami, where it is on exhibit.

I will check in here before I leave for our GT just in case someone requests a plant (never happens with my meager selection)

Today I am going to ask you how to handle a 30-40 foot section of privacy fence on my South border. It's six foot high and doesn't allow light through. For about the last month, the sun has been on the other side of the fence. It will stay there until probably late March or early April. Then it will be in full sun. I am looking to put three or four plants to use as a screen, then come out into the yard going North, unless you have other suggestions.

See ya all at 9:30

Art

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Candela...is that a PINK Cane Begonia? I do almost all my buying on-line and have been searching for a white or pink cane. Where did you get yours?

I also have the neatest Begonia...have no idea where it came from (!) It has the round Begonia leave with stripes running from the base outwards. Sweet little dark pink bloom. When circumstances permit, I'll take a pix for identification. I think I have one cutting taking hold!
Pati

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you so much, jnana for starting this new thread. Are we prolific, or what? That last thread was getting long enough to spool around South Florida twice.

Art: An orchid auction? And me stuck in Montreal: AARRGGHH! Even if you don't have a successful bid, the orchids are always easy on the eyes. There will be other ones, I guess.

Thank you so much for keeping me posted on local snake stories. I appreciate that so much. Kinda warms my heart and sets it beating erratically. Python eats an 18-lb cat. What can I say? At 18 lbs, I guess the cat couldn't run away. Plus, Siamese cats haven't invented canon powder. They're not the brightest around. I mean here's a cat who sees a LARGE snake approaching and it allows itself to be caught, strangled and swallowed whole. Good riddance, I say. That one wasn't improving the genetic pool. I feel sad for the lady who lost her feline companion. Maybe she will be luckier next time and get one that wasn't brain-dead or hadn't evolved from the shallow end of the gene pool.

Thank Heavens pythons are not venomous. They're part of the constrictor family, if I remember. They haven't made the python who can swallow me whole yet. See picture of me and Gail posted on last thread.

I wish you guys will have a nice GT today. Hope to read about it tomorrow.

Sylvain.

Sylvain, you crack me up every time LOL. I can't wait to meet you in person. I think you are going to have us in stitches.
Today we met at Flamingo Gardens and we had the pleasure to meet our new member Candela. She is extremely nice and generous, she gave us all many nice cuttings. She is also very knowledgeable.
We had a really nice time exploring the park and misbehaving a bit hehehe. Don't tell anybody, but we got some pretty neat cuttings of plants. I say it is all for the sake of science and gardening (propagation and the like) hehehe. All in all we had a great time and we met a new friend. What could be better!!! After our meeting Art and I went to grab a bite to eat.
Molly we missed you, I hope you can make it next time.
Here are some cool pictures of birds. This one is a Roseate Spoonbill.
Val
Edited for spelling.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2005 6:52 PM

Thumbnail by jnana

A white Heron.

Thumbnail by jnana

Of course no picture of Florida should be without these guys.

Thumbnail by jnana

The neatest of them all. Take a look at this gorgeous creature. Makes me want to have a cat and that is saying a lot from this certified dog person.

Thumbnail by jnana

This one scared us all as it was hanging right over our heads. It was huge.

Thumbnail by jnana

A talkative white Pelican.

Ooops, forgot the picture.

Thumbnail by jnana

Sausage tree, Kigelia africana. I wouldn't want to have my car parked under this tree.

Thumbnail by jnana

Hi.

Val, I can't wait to meet you all in person. I can't wait to move down there. You have no idea.

I am a joker. I love life, having a good time, laughing and carrying on. I'll do just about anything for a laugh as long as it's in good taste, then sometimes, I forget that rule and do it anyway. Taking my bathing suit off in a cruise ship's pool and waving it over my head drives my wife up the nearest mast! She gets even madder when other guys do the same along with me. The more people laugh, the madder she gets.

"The Voice Of Reason" and "Rampant, Unbridled Madness" are alive and well in our household. I'll let you guess which one I am. On top of that, I love to write. You might have guessed that one. My posts are generally longer than the rest with the possible exception of Art. Keep going, Art, love those posts, love those lizzards, saurian and reptile stories, not to mention your great pictures!

I am much more at ease with the birds that live along the canal. Gotta love them Florida birds. At Wal-Mart this May, they had a sale on plastic pink flamingoes. I wanted to get about 12 of them for the front yard but The Voice Of Reason said NO. I maintain it sure would have spruced up the front laugn, though.

Here is a picture of me last year in Reford Gardens. I call that one: "Polar bear with African lilies".

Keep well, all!

Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

Well, Sylvain I love that picture. It shows in your face that a little naughty boy is hiding in there LOL. I can't tell a joke to save my life, but I can sure laugh heartily when somebody has good humor. Just hang in there, time flies and pretty soon you'll be sweating with the rest of us.

Val

HI All!
Very nice time today. We got there early and left late. It was nice to meet our newest GG'er Cassandra (Candela) in person.

I joke about our group walking into a nursery with shopping bags, as being the nursery owners worst nightmare. Today...well let's just say the nightmare came true at Flamingo Gardens. We were all unusually bad today.

Very nice attraction. Great assortment of plants, trees, animals, water displays, etc. Nicely laid out, id's on almost everything and it was very clean. Well worth the money.

Molly I hope I didn't make too much of a mess by leaving the plant on your porch. I was nervous about your dog, the plant was tall, the doorway was short and I was alone. We missed you today.

Sylvain, just my way of joking with you, especially since there have been a rash of these large snake stories lately. BTW, nice tan.

I think I screwed up and erased some pictures by accident. I know I took more than I had on the camera.

Here's the group shot. Left to right Val, Art, Cassandra and Nancy.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Art,

Thanks for bringing the plant over. It was a very pleasant surprise. Soil on the floor is not a mess, it's normal around here. And you've met my dogs, no worry there. That "bad dog" sign on the porch is intended for strangers who don't know I have a couple sissy canines in the house.

Glad to hear yall had a nice time today. I missed all of you, and Cassandra, I look forward to meeting you next time.

Molly
:^)))

Before anyone asks, no, I was not able to capture a curley tailed lizard for Val. We did see more than a few wild lizards there, including those walking lizards that walk on their hind legs and can even walk on water.

This place was neat in that you could get off the paths and venture into the brush if you desired to do so. The help there never bothered us when we were off in the bushes. Several staff members offered comentary from time to time, without being pushy. They were very friendly.

Here is a shot of Nancy and a Florida bobcat.

Thumbnail by artcons
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

hello everyone,
what a wonderful day we had. it was nice meeting everyone. next time i will have to bring a bigger bag.
pati yes, they are pink angel wing begonias and the canes get at least 3-4 feet. i also have a spotted leaf one with red flowers you are more than welcome to cuttings any . i'll check in later i have quite a bit of planting still from today.
cass

Thumbnail by candela

A spotted leaf too!!!! Oh my, be still my heart! What a lovely pool area...and who is the sweet furbaby in the standing watch?

Art, et al, thanks so much for the pix and the walk through the park with you. How nice to have a pix of our newest FL DG on her first outing. I can't wait to find out what you "rescued" from the park! *grin*
Pati

Hi Pati, that makes two of us that can't wait to find out what I got...I was stuffing bags, pockets and even put the last one inside my pants, I was so loaded with stuff. Of course I didn't have time to make notes so it's mostly a mystery to me too. I even ran out of "sample" bags.

Art

Ditto here. I have so many cuttings, I've got no idea what is what anymore. I think I will have to move to another house. I don't think I'll have the room to put all that I got.

LOL @ ART......I sure hope you can recognize poisen ivey and that wasn't what was stuffed in your pants!!!!!

jnana...you ALL are a hoot!! You give new meaning to "scavenger hunt"! Just gigglin' at the thought of what sight that must have been!
Pati

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Well, I can tell you............me, myself, and I, walked several times about 20 paces in front of "these" people.

What a hoot....but when Art ran out of pockets, that was really the topper of the day....Art was that a cactus or an epi?

I had to leave the group without lunch to meet by DD at the house. Yippee she's here. Right now she's off to spend a couple of minutes with a friend and when she returns, a-shopping we will go....Hi. Ho....Hi...Ho....

It was great meeting you Cassandra, and it was just like you were "one of us" for years.....I can see you are just as nuts as we are and that's great and makes life worthwhile....

Off to make some hay while the sun shines, as it is said....

Hap

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

hello everyone,
i went into my purse to pull out money and my hand was full of dirt (from so many plants stuffed in there). i have to bring a lot bigger bag next time.
val, the pictures you took came out great especially the spider. he was huge. i still have the dutchmans pipe seeds that i forgot to give you guys. actually i just planted all the seeds so when(if) they come up i will give them to you.
i am ready for the next outing? november looks good except the 3-7 we will be in peru. fairchild gardens is always good
cassandra

Hi All,
Cass fits right in, doesn't she.

I am on break from planting my spoils from yesterday. So far I have planted 24 plants/cuttings. I have 12 or 13 more to finish. Then I can start on the seeds.
This is going to be close one with the 4" pots. I am almost out of them again.

I am sure some of these plants belong to some of you girls, I just don't know which. Once I get 'em growing I will send pictures and you can tell me which are yours.

Pati, I even have a spotted leaf begonia cutting from Cass.

No, it wasn't Crown of Thorns I stuffed into my pants and under my shirt, it was a green with yellow spotted croton with an unusual leaf shape. It's not shown in the plant files but I did find it at (would you believe this) http://www.crotons.org/
It's in the second gallery and it's called an Arrowhead Croton.

I need to find myself a larger bag with several pockets for all the tools and stuff required to do a good job at, er... scavenging, yeah that's it, scavenging. LOL

Back to the nursery I go.

Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Crotons are noted for giving terrible rashes....are you OK, Art?

HI Hap, I am ok. I didn't know that about crotons. I will be more thoughtfull when handeling them.
The only known problem for me in the yard is my Schefflera 'Nova', which will cause a slight stinging irritation whenever I rub against the leaves. I do have to watch the hibiscus bushes because of the IO moths that mature on them. They have a very nasty sting if you just touch them. BTW, Brian at Alexander's Nursery told me I had the wrong name for the Schefflera 'Nova'. He said it's something else and the name started with M. He noted Schefflera don't have milk, and this plant does. I wonder where I would start to find out what it really is. Any suggestions?

This morning I am redirecting the old links to the Nov 12 S Fla Roundup to the new link. I just found it last night.

My belated happy birthday wishes to you. Sorry I missed it. I don't get out and about that much at Dave's. I just stick to a limited number of threads and most of them I just lurk around. I already spend too much time here.

I am waiting to hear from Val before I send out the available dates for a GT the first two weeks of November. Perhaps today she will check in.

I just have a few more plants to take care of and then the seeds & I will be finished with the Flamingo Gardens plants. Too much stuff this trip, although a lot of what I have here are plants that belong to you girls.

How is the visit with your DD going? I am sure it's as much fun as was anticipated.

Sylvain, yet another snake story this morning. Rare Python Pounces On Farmer's Poultry MIAMI There has been another python incident, and this time the snake is a variety that is not at all common in Florida. Police said the 8 to10 foot-long African rock python grabbed a young turkey from a pen in a plant nursery in the area of Southwest 149th Avenue and Coral Way.
Once located, the angry python lunged and snapped at Local 10's news crew and the antivenim crewmembers that captured it. The snake ate and regurgitated the bird, apparently because it was bothered during its meal. I edited the story to make it shorter.
There was a picture on Click10's website. Here it is. It's not my picture, it's the property of Channel 10 Miami.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Art....just kidding about the rash......LOLOLOLOL

Thanks for the belated.....it's still good....and it makes me Happy!!

DD is doing great. she is just coming in now. We're getting ready to HIT THE ROAD....picking paint for the house, shopping at the Sawgrass, etc.....goodness knows what we we get into....heheheh

I think that I am going to start checking the yard for snakes......better keep a closer watch of the 11# furball.

Bye.................

Hap, I hope you have a great time with your DD. Shop 'til you drop, that's my philosophy LOL.

Art, like you I don't have a clue as to what to do for the RU. Should I just start preparing random cuttings or should I wait to see what everyone wants. What to do and what not to do, that's the question.

Some of my cuttings bit the dust already. Oh well, I can always go again and scavenge for more hehehe.

Art, I'm sending you my response as to what date I'm available for the next GT. I vote for Mounts. If we postpone the visit most of the trees and bushes will not look so good. Palm Beach gets a bit colder than us. We can go to Fairchild on our next GT. Fairchild Gardens is beautiful no matter what time of the year one goes.

Val

PS, Wow I tried sending this post and it won't do it. It's taking for ever. I'll try again.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Ok...I'm with Val on the selection.....it's all new to me, so I don't care.....

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Okay Art, you've got me looking at Crotons in a new light. Love that electric folage.
Val, put some Hydrogen Peroxide (1T) in a pint jar of water and stick those limp cuttings in there. Many will perk. Might clip a bit off stem first.
sidney

Thanks Sydney, I'm going to do that right away. Great tip!!

Val

Hi Everyone,
I just sent out the information I have so far on the next GT. Once you reply, we should be close to an "official announcement" (how's that sound)

Hap, you go girl...show us what you can do. October is the third worse month for spending in S. Florida. Our merchants are just waiting for you.
I knew you were kidding, but it's an excuse for me to write more stuff. You know I just love to write this stuff.
Your furball weighs 11 pounds. I would have thought about two or three at the most.

Val, I am sure I have some of your plants. I don't normally take more than a single cutting of a plant. Some of the stuff I just planted I have four plants or cuttings of each speciman.

Sidney, that sounds like a very good suggestion. I will try it this morning on the cuttings I didn't finish yesterday.

Grabbed a couple of cuttings of these plants today on a visit to my new doctor. This was growing in the Cherry hedge. It's a couple hours old already so it's beginning to show wilting. The flower, although small was very showy. I didn' t detect a fragrance. The inset picture is of it's berries. There were some much deeper red but they must have been ripe because they were at the bottom of the bag by the time I got back here.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Hi.

What can I say? Snake eats turkey... Snake eats chicken... Obviously, these snakes are trying to take good care of themselves. They seem to be reducing their red meat intake, eating fresh poultry and cutting down on their trans fats. I could start hanging out at fast food joints. They don't seem to go there. The Checkers at SR7 and Peters comes to mind. That's like the old italian superstition that purports that growing basil repells dragons. Well it works. I grow basil and we haven't seen a dragon yet. I swear.

These non-native snakes didn't fly into Florida on their own. Someone brought them to Florida and someone released them. I think it's high time these animals were not sold in pet shops any more but that's like closing the barn's door after the horses have run away. The damage to the ecosystem is done. In the absence of a natural predator and with food readily available, they'll just thrive. We'll just have to learn to live with them. I'm thinking I'll carry a loaded 12-gauge shotgun with me. I may also adopt a mongoose or two.

Take care.
Sylvain.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I agree about not selling the critters....I am a free-spirit type of person and it pains me to see God's free roaming creatures in a cage, pen, or whatever.. But that's just me. I keep a snake til it just gets to big and then just let it fend on it's own is cruel...I'm sure most of them make it OK, and it looks right now that TOO many make it OK,,,,but it should not happen.....Wild should be kept wild...

But changing the laws people would cry that some "Right" of theirs was damaged....SO!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm off my soapbox for now.....but probably not for long..

Have a great day guys...

Hap

(Zone 9a)

Nice pictures and interesting stories! I've been busy with end-of-the-grading period stuff. It's amazing how sweet students become before report cards go home. Do you get coral snakes down there, and banana spiders?

Hi fireant13, yes we do get both. I have a friend who lives 3 miles west of me and she found a coral snake in her shed. Needless to say, she hasn't set foot inside that shed since. Banana spiders are everywhere in my yard along with an assortment of big and small spiders. I can't stand them, they give me the creeps. Here is a picture of a creepy one that I encountered one night.

Thumbnail by jnana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images