S FL Galloping Gardeners 10/10/05

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

A few months ago I decided to go ahead and buy the life membership with National Home Gardening Club. The other day I received a big box by UPS on the porch. Didn't look like plants so it was a complete surprise.

This is the start of some things they give you with the membership. Long armed Loppers (it has telescoping handles) a gardening blanket and gardening gloves. I also received a very nice key chain, Directory of Public Gardens, $10.00 certificate toward purchase of club merchandise and a package of Personalized Stationary and envelopes.

But Art, the really good thing is next.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

The suspence is killing me. I already know I have to have it.

Along with the above items, in the box was a Garden Pruner Multi-Tool. This is one of the test products the garden club sends. I test it, rate it and keep it.

How cool is that?

Pay close attention now. This little gadget folds all up nice and neat and fits in the case shown. It can be strung through your belt, so when you are on a "scavenger hunt" you are really prepared.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Molly, that's pretty cool!
I have something similar. Mine has pliers on the end with a small cutter in the pliers. I don't have a case for mine though. My wife got it when she worked at the airport. Back then they were confiscating all this stuff and they gave it to the deputies and help. The biggest problem with mine is I keep forgetting to bring it. I always leave it in the car. A case would help me remember to take it along.

Imagine not keeping up with this thread. I just looked coming back in and there are 82 posts since last Sunday morning. Do we have a lot to say or what! Anyone not keeping up must have a chore to do so.

I have an idea I will surprise you with tomorrow. It's something for the upcoming Round Up.

I am outta here for now. My things to do when it rains list is calling.

Art

Val, on the MG liquidation, I need at least a couple dozen 4" pots. If there are more than that, double what I'll take. I will reimburse you for them.

Since these pots are necessary for me to grow cuttings, I need lots of them to grow my plants. Then I go and give them away.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

But we guys always give them back!!!! Right?

What is this MG liquidation? A sale....A Bargain??????

We try to give them back, really we do.

:^)))

Hap, I think that's a Master Gardener thing?

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Molly, those things are pretty cool. I would like to join the National Home Gardening, if you have some information can you bring it tomorrow? The cutting has not grown any roots, so I tossed it. I would love another piece if you can spare some.

Is there anything you would like? How about you Art and Nancy? I have the Begonia cutting for Cassie.

Art, on Monday I'll try to get as many pots as possible. I'll also find out the exact date of the sale. I think it is Nov. 19th, but I'm not sure. They have a lot of plants for sale, most will go for $2 and $3. Unfortunately they are getting rid of the nursery because they have had trouble getting volunteers to help with all the chores.

Nancy, the Master Gardeners had a nursery going on the grounds of the U. of Fl.. They grew all sort of neat stuff. Some quite rare too and some quite common. But as I explained above they are liquidating everything. I got a preview of what they have on Thursday and I got a few things. The sale will be open to the public. I'll let all of you know the exact date.

Val

I have a Viburnum odoratissimum that's about 4 feet that I want to give away. Does anybody want it. I think it will do better in zone 9 than here. It also needs more sun that I can give it. Molly, hint, hint. LOL I'm putting it up for adoption to a good home.

Val

Val, was the cutting green, semi-green or hardwood?

It was green.

Zone 9, okay Val, I shall adopt it and take it north on Tuesday

Looking up a site for you will be back

I don't know if I can have it ready for you by Tuesday. I have to dig it out and if it's anything like the NBJ, I have to ask my DH for help. I'll see what I can do, but most likely it'll be for our next meeting. Is that OK with you?

Hi Ladies, I was not hinting you didn't give pots back. I just need more, lots more. I have a lot of yard to fill up here. Growing stuff as I do from scratch takes time and pots, always more and more pots. Another point is they wear out. How many of you have gotten a plant from me with blue tape on it. This tape was holding the pot together so I could put a dome on it.

Molly, I have three Cuban Buttercup potted up. How many more do you want and would you prefer small or large ones. They do mature very quickly.

Art

Art, do you want anything from my yard? I have plenty of Spanish Shawl to give away. That plant spreads like wildfire, but it has pretty magenta flowers. How about some Sanchezia or Panama Rose?

Val,

I will try to get either a semi-hardwood or hardwood cutting in the morning for you, or 2 or 3.

Take a look here Val: http://www.gardeningclub.com/home.asp

Molly
:)))

Thanks Molly, I already joined for a free trial memebership. It sounds like a good bargain. Now I can't wait to get all these things. At the end of the month I'll join for the year. Not bad for $12.
Val

Val,

No hurry on the plant, I'll be making more trips up before I move and I got to thinking, it would do better if it was settled into a pot before I take it. Do you need a big one for it? I have some.

Art, That sounds good for now or a couple more is good too.

Molly

I think I have a big pot for this one. If not, on Monday when I go look at the nursery I'll get a big pot.
I'm tired now, so I'm going to sleep. See ya'll tomorrow.
Sleep tight!!
Val

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

good mornong everyone i am sorry i can't make to the plant show. my neighbors are closing on their house monday and moving to sarasota so their house is empty so we had a moving/slumber party my husband is a chef and her husband is a wine purveyor.(boy are we going to miss them) anyway as you can see it is 3am so i probably will not wake up until 3pm. if i wake up in time i will see everyone there if not i definately will see everyone nov. 12.
cass

Cass,

Sorry to hear this. It sounds like you had a great time though. Get some rest and we WILL see you in November.

Molly

Art, I came home to check on your post, but it is not here. Send me a list of the plants you want and I"ll look for them tomorrow. I will also make cuttings of the Spanish Shawl, Sanchezia and Panama Rose.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It was great being, "wid use guys"

Hap, FUHGEDDABOUTIT, the pleasure was all ours.

This is what I can remember of the post I made this morning, but I got off before I finished.

Val, Since I missed sending this earlier this morning, for the next GT, how about Spanish Shawl and Sanchezia. Also, if available at the MG clearance, I would be looking for Mistflower, Scarlet Sage, Tickseed, Ironweed, Blue Mistflower, Butterfly Orchid Encyclia tampensis and blue eye grass and 4"pots. If you get any of them let me know and I will gladly stop by to pick them up.

Molly would you prefer smaller or larger Cuban Buttercup, actually Val squared us away on this plant this morning. It's now a Yellow Buttercups, Yellow Alder, Sage Rose
Turnera ulmifolia var. elegans. Even though my HD tag calls it a Cuban Buttercup.

Cass, I saw above you mentioning the 12th. Are you available for the 8th at Mounts?

Art

Hi Everyone. We had a nice mini GT (get together) this morning at Plantation's Heritage Park. We met there for a multi vendor flower/plant sale. We had a chance to meet Val's DH Mark, and Molly's DF Mardella, who at 83 is quite the looker. Molly, Nancy, Val, and I were also there. A picture of the group is below.

For the size of the affair there was a surprising variety of interesting plants, some at very nice prices. We all purchased would be prized plants.

Val id'd my newest cutting that I picked up in front of my Dr's building this past Wednesday. It's a Bloodberry, Rouge Plant, Rvina humilis, and it's a native. Speaking of ID's, would you please tell me the name of the butterfly plant we both purchased. I forgot to ask.

In the picture from left to right Nancy, Mark, Val, Molly and Mardella,
Art

Thumbnail by artcons
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

hi guys,
sounds like everyone had fun. sorry i missed it. we had kareoke until 4am. i am going to miss them. although i raided their garden today. i got a nice carombola some white cat wiskers, peach, white and pink brugs, and a beautiful queens wreath and loads of bromeliads.
november 8th sounds good if i dont have to work. i have the hospital orientation this week. then i will meet with the nurse manager to see my schedule for the month. i actually got two other job offers this week. boy are they desparate for nurses.
mounts sounds good
cass

Thumbnail by candela

Art,

Well hummmphhh, that certainly messes up my latin theme bed. Oh well, I still like the idea of the ruellia, buttercups and mex. heather. I know the buttercups grow pretty fast. The one you gave me a few months ago is performing extremely well. Any you can spare, I would love to have, any size.

I took Mardella home today to look around the yard to see what she might like. She hesitates to ask for much and I sent her off with 2 named hybrid hibiscus. But Art, the "lizard tail?" plant you gave me is just taking off. I am amazed at the size of it. The flower bed by the wooden fence is done it's thing for the summer and most things are dying back. This makes the moving of plants just a bit easier.

Cass, I have every hope to be at the Mounts GT on 11/8 and looking forward to meeting you.

I'll catch up to you soon.
Molly

P.S. I forgot to tell yall, I got an EE today that I don't have, 1 blue double pea vine, 1 white pea vine and a white clematis vine. The whites will go well in my moon garden I have planned. I also got a Pong Pong seed.

Art, that's a nice picture of all of us (well, you are missing from it though). I certainly enjoyed myself today. This impromptu meeting was nice. Cassie hope to see you on the 8th.
Didn't think of stopping at the ATM this morning. I guess it was a good thing because I spent plenty. I got the Butterfly plant, Rabbit's Ears, Tropical Buddleja, and a Dwarf Hibiscus that I still have to identify. Plus, I ordered a tree form David. Had I had more to spend I would have come home with way too much. Now, I'm trying to figure how in the world am I going to fit all these plants in my yard. I need a big piece of land, if I could only convince my DH. Ahhh, dreams and only dreams!!
Art, I will make cuttings of all the plants you want and tomorrow I'll see about the pots.
I'm going to go eat dinner now. See ya'll later.

Val

Great morning everyone. Nice outside with a temprature of 71. It actually feels almost cool.

Val, our buttefly plant is Christia cf. vespertilionis ‘Red Butterfly Wing’ This decorative member of the Fabaceae, has narrow leaves reminiscent of butterfly wings. The background color is reddish purple with light striping along the veins.

I tried to put it in the plant files but it wouldn't take Fabaceae as a family name. I wrote the mgmt.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Art, I already entered it yesterday when I got home. It is in the new name of that family Papilinoaceae. Check in the plants I have added, it's there. I already added some pictures, but they are in pending queue. I had the name since the time I got the other one. Neat plant, now we have both.
Nice morning, low temperatures with high humidity though. I wish I had the time to start working on my garden redo, but I have to go to the meeting.

Val

(Zone 9a)

I knew this thread would be busy over the weekend.

Art and Nancy, I was wrong about the 2 plants at the edge of the lake. Boy was I wrong!! LOL That's what happens when you start getting older your brain goes to mush. Lately, I've been having too many short circuits on my brain LOL. The little yellow flower is a Ludwigia peruviana. It's not a native although there is some discrepancy about it. The white fragrant one (which I thought it was a bad weed) is a native. Its name is Sarcostema clausum. It is a frequent plant of Fl. hammocks.
Art, you may want to add the pictures to the PF.

Val

Hi Val, thanks for the info on Sarcostema clausum. I will put up the pictures.
I was trying to beat you to posting the Red Butterfly Wing in the plant files, but didn't (nor did the Govt.) realize they changed the family name...I did get the common name though. I too have a picture in the queue.
A question on this. How does one get the common name into the plant files area after there is an entry without a common name?

Nancy, anytime there are four of us together it's always busy. It was a good time.

Technical plant question. What is meant by pinching a stem to get branching? That was part of the general information on the Red Butterfly Wing plant.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

I made the error of not entering the common name. Too quick with my finger to press send. I already asked the editors to add it. Unfortunately, there is no way to edit that entry without sending an error report. If you have entered the details you can edit them, but not the name. I'm waiting for them to correct it.
Art look here http://davesgarden.com/terms/go/668.html
My obcordata started branching on its own. The few cuts that I did for propagation never grew back. I asked the seller about it yesterday, he told me that sometimes it works and others it doesn't ?? He also told me that cuttings work about 25% to 30% of the time. I guess I was lucky with the 2 cuttings I got for you and Molly. They both took.
I got to go now. See ya later!!
Val

Val, mine is branching too. On the new one, the reason I took the plant I did was it had four branches already. Thanks for pointing out the garden terms area to me. The search engine works good there too.

In the next day or two I will be heading to Heritage Park to get a cutting of the Sarcostema clausum. Do you want some?
Anybody want some?

I just finished repotting and planting the cuttings I had from yesterday. After that I planted 5 seeds from my "wild" Cork Bark Passionflower that was growing under my Chinese Fan Palm. I think I remember when I first posted the note that I had found it, it had a berry on it. This morning it looked ripe so I picked it. Inside I found 2 of the 5 seeds beginning to grow roots, so I got 'em in the ground.

The goldenrod you have I cut off from a stem that had bent from the wind. The stem grew four new branches out of the top, so it's ok to trim the plant back to make it more compact.

Today I am repotting my Brazilian Nightshade. It's not doing too good so I have to do something. I have not been able to get one of these growing for you, but I haven't given up just yet.

I also put in a couple Cherries Jubilee using Cass's method. Perhaps this will work.

Art

I'm back. Thankfully, it was a short meeting.
Art, nobody was at the nursery and they had the gate locked, but I contacted the guy in charge and left him a message to call me back. I will give him the list of plants that you want and if they have them I'll have him reserve them for you. I'll do the same with the pots.

I would go with you to the park. I'm also interested in going back to the little park at South Middle River. Most of the cuttings I got there didn't make it and I want to get some more.
I'm free tomorrow morning only. After that, I have a couple of free days next week.

I have so many cuttings that I'm losing track of what I have. I need to update my plant data base. That's going to be a big project.

Val

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

According to Rareflora,com, a company I bought my ginger from yesterday, Mount is having a plant sale on the 11/5....Should we change our date? www.mounts.org It's on a Sat. ooops....

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Check out their links to stuff....WOW

Hap, maybe Art will be able to make it if it is just for this time. Art what do you think? It will really be neat to go there plus have a plant sale. Better start saving money just in case hehehe.
I got more plants than I know what to do with them, but I just can't resist. Is there a cure for this disease? LOL

Hap, what's the name of the rare ginger you got yesterday? I was trying to explain it to a friend today, but I didn't know the name.

Val

Val, Thanks for doing that for me. Tomorrow is fine by me. We need to work on your cuttings technique. Where and when do we meet? Hap, you game to join us for a quickie? Molly probably will have to work since she missed a day last week, but perhaps not, who knows!

I don't think Sat. the 5th is a problem. We just picked the 8th 'cause everyone was available that day. I think Cass is off to Peru for a wedding that weekend.

Here's the info from Mounts.
Annual Fall Plant Sale
November 5 - 6, 2005 (Saturday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sunday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.) More information: 561/233-1749 Thousands of top-quality, locally-grown plants including flowering trees and
shrubs, fruit trees, annuals, perennials, orchids, bromeliads, ferns, roses, herbs, cacti and succulents, bougainvillea, more. Member's Preview & Continental Breakfast, Saturday, November 5, 8 a.m. - 9 a.m. Complimentary breakfast.

Cost: $5 non-members, Members FREE

My first plant from Bahia Honda is blooming. Here's a shot of it. Of course (or curse) I don't have the name, but what's in a name anyway.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.