Banana tree harvest

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

All but the top 2 or 3 leaves remain,and few days drying time,then under the crawl space they go,until next April.
Thes are Raja puri,Orinoco and Pisang Raja,

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Dwarf cavendish abd Double Mahoi

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Saba and Itinerans

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Waverly, MO(Zone 5b)

You are ahead of me. I have not dug anything yet. I have got all the pots inside and already am almost out of room.....

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

What a jungle. I've never dug mine, I keep it in a pot and just take the whole thing into the garage. (of course I only have 1 pot, it has 2 trunks and 3 pups now)

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Dug up 32 bananas,and was able to give about half away,to who ever came by,wouldn't let them leave without a banana or two!!!!
And if they took a banana,they had to take a big ear too!!!!
Some of these bananas weighed over 100 pounds,and that was after cutting off all the foliage except the last few leaves.
Base and corms were so large,if they would have been in pots they would have busted there way out.
Bruglover,I started on Labor day digging up plants,and still ain't done!

Waverly, MO(Zone 5b)

Here is a picture hauling from the back yard to the front. It took 2 loads....for the pots.
This weekend will be time to dig up banana's and brugs. I can't even imagine digging
up all the stuff you have. I sure wished I could see your beautiful yard in person.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2005 11:52 PM

Thumbnail by bruglover
Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

My stuff is all dug! YEA!! I gave away tons of stuff and threw even more, can't do this much anymore, too hard to come home and do each day after doing the same thing at work.I did cut a bunch of bananas off to let ripen on a tree that is still in the ground downtown.Every year I swear I won't grow this many big plants, yeah right! Its a sickness! LOL

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Do you hose the soil off the corms or just shake the soil loose ?

TIA

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

Amazing how these huge plants survive with so little of their root systems intact. What a job. Better you guys than me. My husband would just kill me. LOL I think it would be easier for you all to just move up a few zones.

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

I am smiling from ear to ear seeing bruglovers trailer full of plants...my hubby and I hauled in all my tropicals Sat because we had a threat of frost...he was a trooper and never chastised me about all the blankity plants this year..it was me thinking that I have to stop this...lolol...the garage is full the breezeway where I keep them was full and I stood there asking myself where am I going to put them all?...I have one lonely banana that I will strip like I see in the pictures...maybe put it under the shelving unit?..does it need spraying with some water for the winter?..never grew one through winter before.thanks for all teh posts here..it makes me feel better that im not the only one that has plants coming out of their ears..lolol...Judy

Wichita, KS

WooHoo, Don
Looks like those babies are ready to be put to bed for the winter. Can't wait to see your pics again next year.

Just yesterday, sold the drum set. Moved the chest freezer into another room and now I have a hole corner of the storage room for my plants. I need to bring them in from the garage soon. It is hard to fit the vehicles in.

I have about 10 buds on my yellow brugs. Been rolling it in the garage at night and back out into driveway during the day. Can't bare the thought that I will miss out on the blooms.

~Nikki in NW Wichita

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Now I know what I'll be going thru next year. I decided to keep some of the babies on my nanas and put em in the ground next year, just wasnt sure what to do after I dug em up so I procrastinated big time. I just have to figure where to put em after I dig em up since I dont have a crawl space or a garage. Have a shed but way too cold so I guess the laundry room is going to get even more crowded.

You guys are something else.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Wow, that's a lot of plants to bring in.

Waverly, MO(Zone 5b)

Yea, my husband thinks I have lost my mind....I am beginning to wonder also!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL!
I say the same thing every year,not going to this again!!!!LOL
Each year it gets worse!!!
Brug lover did your husband see the last 2 packages I sent you!!!LOL!
I know they didn't make the trailer trip this year!!!LOL
Yes where oh where are all these plants going for the winter????
I think moving would be easier!!!!
But with all these hurricanes, heavy rains,Floods, earthquakes and volcanoes,not sure I can go thru what you all have gone thru!!!
Scooter I shake the soil loose as much as possible,

Waverly, MO(Zone 5b)

Yes Don, I have you to thank for all of this!!! First thing for sharing your pictures and knowledge making me want to have a tropical yard like yours. Who do I ask when I have a question-you of course!! The other thing is for being so generous and sharing your plants. Seriously though-THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR EVERYTHING!! Judy-I am glad I brought a smile to your face and it is good to know that someone else is as crazy
as I am.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Your so welcome brug lover,I love to share what makes me happy
will make other people just has happy,even tho our spouses may think were crazy,because there is no end in sight,when collecting tropical plants.
Your garden was just gorgeous this year,and can't wait until next year
to see what tropical paradise will display.
I pray for a short warm winter!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I knew you would be heavily under destruction out there.
I just didn't realize HOW heavily!
That is a LOT of work there.
I'm glad I scaled back on the Musa and went heavier on Aroids and Palms this year.
Moving pots is far less work! lol

Your place was though a thing of beauty this Summer.
And SO fun to watch develop!
Thanks Don!

Ric

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks guys for reminding me why I live in Florida. Except for an occasional hurricane worry, it's so nice to be able to enjoy the tropics year round.
Jan...

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Ric,might be following in your footsteps,except the palms seem to be more difficult than the musa's to grow,and not nearly as fast growing.
I've got about 5 palms,started just from seedlings,after a few years growing,only about belt high now.
Lucky you Jan,wished we all could live and enjoy tropicals year round.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Don you are truly amazing (and NUTS;). Thank you for the informative pics!!! :)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We're just starting to experiment w/ winter hardy palms here.
Our neighbor's yard is more exposed than ours.
He's put in 4 palms to try them out.
If they survive there then they will easily make it out back.

I'm trying 3 different EE's here this Winter.
I have so many Big Dippers I can play w/ them a bit.
Ric

T-man, I can send you some sabal palm seeds if you want to try a few of those.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Your welcome LIL,
Ric keep us posted on those palms come spring!
Cala lilly,I'm game if you have extra to spare,and thanks!

I dug the nanas yesterday and they shold be ready to be moved to the basement Monday.

I was surprised how easy it was to get them loose and toppled over.

Twice as surprised at how deceptivly heavy they were ....... I slept very well last night tho ..... *snore*

I need to fast forward for a minute please.
When I plant them out next year, how would you suggest I stake them ?
Hey, may as well find out now so I can make plans.

TIA,
S

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I've been using rebar,cheap,strong,and somewhat rusty,which adds iron to the soil,just drive then into the soil close to the banana,and rap a piece of cloth around the banana and rebar,or wood stake works well also!
Finally got bananas undert the crawl space today,they been outside drying for a week.

Yay , that had to be a chore.
TY for the info.
;-)

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

TropicMan.... This was my first year for Nana's... Can you give me the push to be brave..... because I can't believe you just dig them up and leave them sit out uncovered for a week and then just shove them under the house....

So.... do I have this right ..... I'm going to dig up the rest of my nanas this weekend - wash off all the extra soil and leave them to dry for a week.... then put them in a dark place that stays at what temp... ? is 70 to warm if I wrap them so they stay in the dark....?

Can't wait to see what your yard does next year ....

all together now . and a 1 and a 2 .....

Day-o, day-ay-ay-o
Daylight come and he wan' go home
Day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day-ay-ay-o
Daylight come and he wan' go home

Work all night on a drink a'rum
(Daylight come and he wan' go home)
Stack banana till thee morning come

Come, Mr. Tally Mon, tally me banana
Come, Mr. Tally Mon, tally me banana

It's six foot, seven foot, eight foot, BUNCH!
Six foot, seven foot, eight foot, BUNCH!

Day, he say day-ay-ay-o
Day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day

Sorry 'bout that , I am posessed by banana fever ..tee heee

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Scooter, you, my friend, are a mess!

Love that song!

Well Lady Elena, How have you been.?

Been hit by any snowballs lately ?

TTYL

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Vs,when you chop all but the last couple leaves off the trunk,water will spill out like a fountain,because they are mainly just water and leaves,then dig them up,I shake as much soil off as possible,you can even just take a machate,and cut off the roots,they are just going to dry up anyway,I don't wash the soil off,want the corm to go dormant,but not rot.Put them under the crawl space,Ideal temp over winter should just be above freezing up to 45*,it's dry, dark and cool under the house during winter which will keep the bananas from wanting to grow,and keep them in a dormant stage until next spring,
If you just dig them up full of water and stick them under,they will want to
rot instead of want to go dormant.
After I dig them up and let them dry a few days they will lose a lot of water and wil bel a lot lighter to pick up and handle,even then I still
lose a few each winter,they go mushy and rot.
I don't cover them while there under the house,they need air circulation to some degree.I do set them on top of cardboard.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Harry Belafonte,has just left the building!!!LOL

T-man, I'll go out and scoop up some palm seeds. They fall in the driveway and in the grass under the palm. I've got Phoenix robelini seeds too.

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks TropicMan.... this weekend I'm digging the last of them out .... I have one I'm going to just try and cover with hay and a tarp ..... This pic is over a month old the base is huge - no way I think I can dig this one up and get it moved.......

Thumbnail by vs71099
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thank you Cala lilly!

Vs,if you were excessible to some free bales of straw,you could build a straw house surrounding the banana and put on a plastic roof,and take a heating cable use to keep plumbing pipes from freezing,wrap around the trunk of your banana,and just might overwinter it successful.

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

geesh.. that looks like a LOT of work.. but then your garden in the summer is well worth the time and effort you put into it! The only plant I dig up prior to frost are my plumerias and that is more than enough.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.