Central Texas Round Up Part Deux Nov 12, 2005 - #2

Deep South Texas, TX(Zone 9a)

The previous thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/515913/ got a bit off course and with the date swiftly approaching (and after a gentle suggestion or two) I'm starting a new thread for....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nov 11-13, 2005 DGers will hopefully descend once again on Kerrville, TX and enjoy 3 days of food, fun, fellowship and fire (yes, Kip, I'm still talking about you) during the Fall Central Texas Round Up (CTRU).

http://ctru.dstartz.com/ has a place to post if you plan to attend, your plant wants/haves lists, food you might bring, whether you'll be camping out or moteling in and any other lists that we might want to start.

The first one was a blast http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/503196/ . I hope you'll join us for this one and make the memories and the plant swap even more memorable!

I'm hoping everyone will check out my diary http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/m/dstartz/ this week and see if I have anything they want before I take my plants to the CC Botanical Gardens Plant Sale. (I'd hate to know that I had something you wanted and sold it instead of giving it to you.)

So, please, y'all check out my diary http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/m/dstartz/ and let me know what you'd like!!

(A hint: http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/t/dstartz/9/ and http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/t/dstartz/30/ are the best places to look first. ;-> )

Donna/dstartz

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I will certainly be there! I'm really looking forward to this after the long hot summer. Looking forward to seeing "old" friends again (gee, I've only known you since April or later!) as well as getting to meet some new ones.

As the summer really took a toll on my garden, I am re-assessing what I have to offer. Will post that later this week.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes my yard has survived the summer, but doesn't look nearly as good as it did last fall. I have only one rose blooming. And it has only one flower. Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll have more. It would help I suppose if I could get them fertilized and maybe even watered. If any body wants rose cuttings please let me know soon before I start pruning. They are all listed in my diary. Or if you want them in the spring let me know now and they will have a chance to root by spring.

I have also dug up my germander and candy lilies. I have daylily proliferations I can bring and of course irises (clean this time). My neighbor gave me a huge night blooming cereus that I have no room for. It spreads out atleast 5 feet. I hope somebody wants some of this.

Has anybody heard from Loudigger? It's been months since I've seen a post from her. Are you out there Loudigger? We need to see your happy face at the RU. And I owe you a verbena.

Donna, I looked at your journal and saw dward iris, but couldn't find it in the plant files. I would also like to try your cala lily and white caladiums. Do you have the same cala lily that htop has? I think hers is black.

Wants (dstartz of silverfluter)

Candy Lilies
Irises
Rose Cuttings: (as many of these varieties as you're willing to bring)

Buff Beauty
Cecile Brunner
Climbing Cecile Brunner
Cornelia
Don Juan
Etoile de Hollande
Felicia
Madam Alfred Derriere
New Dawn
Red Cascade
Souvenir de St Anne's
Zéphirine Drouhin

What can I bring you in return, please?

I have a cereus question - night blooming that is.LOL I cut a bunch of leaves off that monstrous plant from my neighbor about a week ago. Do I need to plant those or can I take them like they are and let their new mommies (or daddies) plant them? If I need to plant them now, I think I'll put them in a window planter (it's 2 feet long), so I don't have so many individual pots. If I put them in individual pots they'll all be very top-heavy and forever falling over.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Donna,

I have a Climbing Cecile Brunner. drdon and his DW Pam are going to be in Conroe this week, I'll get some help from them about the proper way to get and transport a cutting to you. I'll also try a Dwarf Pomegranate cutting.

Mary Lee, I show that you want some variegated and the bright green sweet potato vine, plus I'm bringing you my "Many Happy Returns" daylilies. And you're bringing me winecup, and LA iris, right?

drdon is also bringing a bunch o' stuff to Conroe, that I will bring to the RU (he'll make me look good, driving up with a bunch of plants!) :-)

If anyone has inland sea oats (plant or seeds) I'd love some! I got some seed - I think from konkreteblonde - at the Dallas swap, but I've been so unsuccessful at seed germination, I'd like to have as much as possible to work with, lol.

Does anyone know if Margie did go to the international RU?

I hear that frostweed (Josephine), 75154 (Mitch), and sedrick (Sylvia) will be joining us on Saturday! You guys are going to love meeting them!

Don't know if Hazel will be up to it, but I hope we can get her up there at least for one day, depends on how she's recuperating.

I plan on camping with you guys, I'm borrowing a tent. Just don't let Kip get near it with that fire, lol! (Kip, that may be a cut!)

Are we still going to do a Chinese gift exchange? I think it will be fun.

Maggie
edited for sp errors

This message was edited Nov 10, 2005 1:19 PM

Dallas, TX

Silverfluter...let the new mommy and daddy root their own...and those two feet leaves....I cut into 6inch pieces to root... :)

Maggie I am sure glad I came upon this thread. Mitch just started talking to me yesterday about this round up. I am still waiting on him to give me the correct date....lol,,,sound like fun...so where is this in Kerrville? Where is that...I suppose Mitch is going to be driving...lol
Sylvia

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Sylvia!

Long time no type, lol! Kerrville is west of Austin, NNW of San Antonio. It's time for you to see the world a little, lol!
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?newFL=Use+Address+Below&addr=&csz=kerrville%2C+tx&.intl=us&name=&lat=&lon=&srchtype=a&qty=&new=1&trf=0&getmap=Get+Map
(click on 7 to see it in relation to Dallas)

Maggie, I think you said you wanted Russian Sage? If you don't that's OK. Somebody will. I also have your La iris and winecup. I'm really hoping for the chinese gift exchange atleast. The other one would also be fun.

Sedrick, Thanks for the tip on planting cereus. If I planted all these, I would have atleast 20 pots of cereus!

Can't wait to meet all ya'll.

Mary Lee

Meadows Place, TX(Zone 9a)

11 Days and counting !!!!!!!!

maggiemoo, if you're sleeping in a tent remember to be careful of the Kerrville Night Creature. It tends to terrorize people that sleep in tents in it's territory.

BWAA HAA HAA !!!!!!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Kip, luckily, Donna already warned me about that creature. We have devised a secret weapon to ward you - er, I mean him - off. (Bwaa haa haa, yourself!) ;->

Mary Lee, that's right! I did want some Russian sage, and did you also have some juniper thyme?

Dallas, TX

Marylee you dont root the Cereaus in water first?
Sylvia

Maggie, yes I do have jumiper thyme and lost of it. It's yours.

Sedrick, I have never done it, but I think Donna said you just stick it in dirt.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know what to bring yet, besides, we will not have a lot of room, so I am thinking that maybe mainly seeds would best, we shall see.
I do have some potted Frostweed plants that I can bring, and also Four O'cloks.
Josephine.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Josephine, we are just so glad you guys are coming, don't worry about plants! That can make for a crowded ride.

That said, if you do bring plants, I would like some four o'clocks. :-)

O.K. Mary, I will try to bring you a few different colors, if I can tell which is which,
otherwise, Surprise!

Mary,

I have some Northern Sea Oat seeds http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/798/index.html you're welcome to.

"I plan on camping with you guys, I'm borrowing a tent." Do you not want to use the RV livingroom as your sleeping quarters?

"Are we still ging to do a Chinese gift exchange" I sure hope so! I already have something picked out!!

Are we still going to do the hypertufa demonstration?

Y'all check out my plant list at http://www.dstartz.com/CTRU/viewtopic.php?t=21 to see what you'd like me to bring.

I'm planning on leaving for Kerrville either Friday night or early Saturday. If you want any of my plants you need to speak up now!!!

Also, food for Saturday is still being decided on. If you have got something in mind would you list it at http://www.dstartz.com/CTRU/viewtopic.php?t=20 so we have anidea of what will be brought and can fill in the 'holes' as need be.

I am soooo excited about this, y'all!!! Thanks for making it happen!

Donna/dstartz

Dallas, TX

I have no idea of what to bring. I got a lot of seeds. My Orleandars may have taken root and the Sage bush. Yayyyy Mitch you might have a Red Orleandar! Josephine, you and Maggie will get one too. lol

Are we still going to do the hypertufa
demonstration?

Oh mercy , I sure hope this is done Saturday. I have been dying to get into Hypertufa for years.
Shall I bring a dish?
Sylvia

Forgive my ignorance, but I had never heard of Hypertufa till now, What is it?
I suppose it has to do with gardening or plants?
I would like to know.

I do like the idea of the Chinese gift exchange, those are a lot of fun.

Josephine.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Josephine,

Hypertufa is a mixture (many variations of a basic "recipe") of portland cement (regular, not the quick-set stuff), peat moss, and perlite or vermiculite or sand. You add water, then use the mixture to make containers, pieces of garden art (faux rocks, birdbaths, toad houses, stepping stones), etc. Depending on the mix, your piece can look really rustic (like an old stone trough), or it can be smoother (some people even carve theirs a bit), but they are usually much lighter (while still strong) than cement items. You can get real creative with what you use as a mold. I've seen containers in the shape of shoes, and many people "cast" large leaves (like of elephant ear or other large leaves) to create just a peice of art or for holding water for the critters.

We actually now have a forum on Hypertufa: http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/hypertufa . Check it out, there's lots there to oooh and ahhh over. :-)

This picture is of some very small containers, made to look like rough rock. These were at a plant sale at the local extension office. They used a mix of one part cement, one part peat moss, and one part perlite.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Donna,

Yes, I would love some of the Northern Sea Oats seeds, thanks!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Donna, I would like some Firespike and Scarlet Milkweed. Can I interest you in any monkey grass? unidentified aloe? Mountain Laurel seed pods (all of the seedlings are spoken for at the moment...)? purple Wandering Jew? Nothing very exotic, I'm afraid. :-)

~ Marylyn

Mary, thank you for the information, I looked and there were a lot of interesting things, I had no idea.
I don;t think we will be experimenting with it, but it does look like it would be fun.
You learn a few new things every day, if you are lucky.
Josephine.

Dallas, TX

AWWWW Josephine....I thought maybe we could do an alligator before we leave, JUST JOKING! LOL
Sylvia

Very funny Sylvia, by the way the Hostas are doing great, but the rose cutting was destroyed by a squirrel, I really get mad at them sometimes, they don't leave anything alone.
Josephine.

Marylyn, Mary and everyone else,

Could I get you to list your wants under my list at http://www.dstartz.com/CTRU/viewtopic.php?t=21&sid=e7f6023f2d1b841d5184b298ed9f5d89 ? That way I have everything in a central location, can print it out, go to backyard and load everything when we're getting ready to leave this weekend.

Marylyn,

Thank you for the offers, but I have all those. Not to worry about bringing something. Getting to see you and your bunnies will be sufficient. ;->

Donna/dstartz

This message was edited Nov 2, 2005 2:52 PM

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Donna, I'm having trouble navigating in that website. I can get there, but the screen just "clocks" forever, never changes to the new screen (for reply, etc.)

I'll keep trying.

Dallas, TX

Josephine I got the same problem with these darn squirrels. ...just talking about them in the Hosta forum.They are digging in my newlly planted Hostas, overturned the pot with my Medusa in it.I saw in the back they have scratched all my trailing sedums out the pot! Whats wrong with them? I never had problems with them before! Oh well, Its always something ...sigh
Sylvia

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I am planning to go, also. Will be sleeping in my van. The only thing I have to bring are seeds from my October Rose Hibiscus/Hibiscus Cannabinus. Let me know if anyone wants some. I'll come up with some food also but don't know what just yet. Is there anything that is needed?

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Yea!! Amelia's coming! Are you riding with Kip?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Maggiemoo,
No, but hopefully we can caravan.

Does anybody have any Lenten Rose? Or know anything about growing it in Texas?

We need to firm up plans for food. Donna, did you decide for sure what we're having? I remember reading a list of choices. Anything you decide would keep me happy. I liked all the possibilities. Just settle on a list so we can all figure out what to bring.

Uh, this is kind of a awkward question, but Donna said something about people not associated with DG showing up. That's great if they do, but do they know about the potluck? And do we have a head count of how many DG'ers are supposed to be here, so we know how much chili and spaghetti or whatever to fix?

Donna, we still have venison pan sausage in 1 1/2 lb packages. Should I bring that to mixed with the eggs? One pkg or two? I can also cook it here at home. Breakfast will go together faster that way. I can also bring eggs, butter, Ezekiel bread. If this works for ya'll, I'll add it to the food list on the link.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Yep I am coming but I am not bringing anything but some seeds. Bringing home.. .. .. not sure if anything. I am always looking for natives, cannas, and Daylilies... oh and groundcover... Everything in seeds or really small!

Josephine and Sylvia - the trunk will be empty on my part soooo bring anything ya want and we will share space on the way back... there is always room around our feet right? The back of the back seat could also be used (out of little hands) if things dont get too tall on there so we can still see!

What do I need to get ready for the pot luck? And is there anything else I need to bring?

Josephine you are bring how to there from here right? Just want to make sure we know where to go! Oh and yes Josephine Santa just might be hearing you after all... BTW you do have a floppy drive on your computer right?

Mitch

Meadows Place, TX(Zone 9a)

NOTE TO ALL CTRU pt 2ers.

Please register and log onto dstarz page so we will all be on the same page.

[email protected]

Mitch, I can bring daylilies, but it's not seeds. They are proliferations. I can put them in 4 inch pots if you like.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks Silver would love them, any seeds I might be able to look in my stash for you? That is all I will really have room to bring...

Let Me Know - Mitch

I don't know Mitch. I'm really awfull with seeds. I'm afraid it would be a death sentence for them.LOL But it would be great to know my daylily babies have a good home.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.