S Fl Galloping Gardeners 10/18/05

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

We'll continue our next adventures here in this thread.
All are welcome to join us as we explore, discover and learn what S Fl has to offer.

Val

Indiantown, FL

I will be there Sat Nov 5 for sure. I'll will just rearrange my schedule at work. I'm a dog groomer and I help my daughter out at her shop on Saturdays. Looking foreward to meeting everyone.
Till Then Happy Gardening,
Connie

Looking forward too. See you then.

Val

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Connie...that's wonderful....I can even bring my dog and have him groomed....LOL (Just KEEDING)

Hap

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Sniff...sniff, Hmmm a nice clean thread we have here.

Goin native hunting today with Val. She found a good spot locally that's loaded with native plants. We also saw a couple of natives at the park we visited for the plant sale this past weekend. We are going to hit both places.

Fill you in when we get back.

Art

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

HEADS UP all you "Gallopers". I hate to bring bad news, but check out Hurricane Wilma in the Weather Forum. You may have to "batten down the hatches" *sigh*
Pati

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Is there going to be a roundup here in beautiful FLA on November 5?

Hi skaz421 The S. Fla Round-Up is November 12. Here is the link.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/548238/
Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Good am, family...... I'm afraid to check the weather......we are supposed to be going on a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale on Sat......UGH......I am so excited that I am half packed and that is something for me..I was going on a 4 day cruise and forgot to pack....really, until that am of the cruise. Now that's laid-back.....lol

Well, I will go and sit on the ship..and they can feed me. Who cares is we don't leave port? I don't........

Battening down the hatches for the trip, anyway. Ya know, get those last little cuttings in the grounds, check sprinklers..all that sort of stuff.

See ya later...have a wonderful day....

Hap

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh, Hap... I'm sure that evil Wilma will have blown away by Saturday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Everything will be all right. If not, we can go on a cruise together later on.

I'll go check that weather forum and cruise deals right now.

BTW, miserable cold wet damp grey ugly day here in Montreal again and expecting 2 more days of rain. AARRGGHH!

Take care, you all.

Sylvain.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

hello everyone
i won't be able to make it to mounts nov. 5th. but i hopefully will make it the 12th. i will get my schedule next week. i hope you guys have fun. just remember bring big bags. haha
cassandra

Hi All. Cass, There will be lots of these GT's going forward as there are lots of good gardens and places to visit in the S Fla area. Check in as often as you have time for, as impromptu GT's as the one Val and I had today just pop up. Anyone free at the time is welcome on these "quickie" local trips.

Hap, I like your spirit. You can't change anything anyway, so just go with the flow and cherish the whole experience.

Sylvain, it was great here today. Temps in the low 80's, an overcast sky with a brisk Easterly breeze. Perfect day for walking around a garden/nursery type area. Great for taking pictures too.

Very nice GT with Val today. We met at Heritage Park and went from there to the community (park-growing area) whatever, a 1.5 acre site in urban Ft Lauderdale. This community area is informally divided into public and private (usually fenced) area's, where the participants grow stuff for themselves like fruits, veggies, trees and garden variety plants. There are wide paths, ankle deep with much, that meander throughout the area. A wide assortment of butterflies seemed to follow us everywhere, but in reality there were many native nectar and larvae sources for them throughout the area.
The area is in or very near Wilton Manners, known for it's growing gay community. That in itself means nothing, except you will find nicely refurbished houses and yards in the area, more so than a regular neighborhood. This community area was in the heart of one of these area's.
There were several members of this community park on hand as we pulled in. They were friendly and told us we could "help ourselves" to cuttings. Guess what folks, we were loaded for bear. My sample case had empty bags, empty seed containers, and sharp cutting shears. "Help yourself" took on a whole new meaning today.

Here is a picture of one of the unusal plants that came home with us. I am in the process of looking up it's name, but for now it's a dark green on green version of Devil's Backbone.

More later on.
Art

Thumbnail by artcons
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Ya struck gold, thar PARTNER....hehe get it.....get it....Art....are you still there...helllo......

Well, my "Great Attitude" is fading fast.....anyone looked at Wilma lately and her time-line.....not lookin' good......

Hi Hap. Somewhere in perhaps a place like Montreal, or Connecticut, or Chicago there are folks looking out the window at the rain. They are bringing down their brutes of winter clothes. You can smell the moth balls in the air. They paid $3.00 a gallon to fill their tanks with heating oil. Got gas...you are really gonna suffer this year. It's double what you paid last year.
The DH's are putting on the snow tires and the kids are raking leaves. The trees are almost bare now. The days of 70 to 80 degree weather are long gone. Summer? What's that! They are preparing to spend the next six months of their life in the freezer section of their refrigerator.

Your cruise might be postponed for a few days or you will get credit for another cruise or both. A hurricane may or may not hit us, but you will hear from those that are thinking about you. If it hits you will experience one of natures great weather experiences for the third time this year. But until that does or doesn't happen you can take walks in your garden or around your yard in shorts in a sleeveless blouse wearing sandals. Feed the fish in the lake or chase the ducks off your grass. You can pluck your butt down on a chaise lounge and breathe the fresh air and enjoy your vast orchid collection. You might even dip your feet in your pool. Life in Florida is good, especially this time of the year.

Here is a picture I put together for you I took today. It reminds me of last falls elections. The red, independents and the blue voters. If you can id them, please do. All of them are in my stash from today.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Can't venture a guess, but they look GOOD.

Yeh, you are sure right about the north.....but that's why we are here....wouldn't move back for all the tea in china.

Who needs a cruise anyway....

Hap

Art, you sure made this place sound good. Watch out we'll get everyone in the country to move down here. You should contact the tourism board LOL
We had a really good time today exploring the park and getting more cuttings. The weather was really nice too. I hope it continues this way minus the hurricane which I could do without.

Art, the picture to the left is Justicia brandegeana 'Shrimp Cocktail' or 'Fruit Cocktail'. The middle one is some kind of Malavaceae family, some sort of Hibiscus. The one on the right, I got no clue yet.

Cass, too bad you can't come with us. We hope to see you at the RU.

Hap, I hope you get to go on your cruise and have a great time.

I'm just hoping that this hurricane goes nowhere and fizzles out completely.

Val

Val, thanks for the ID's. This place more than sounds good, it is good. I often say, I feel lucky they allow me to live here.

I neglected to tell you how big my stash was today. It was very big. Not only am I out of pots, I am out of dirt and even if I had both, I am out of space in my nursery area.

I did a count of pots with plants and cuttings growing/started in my nursery area this evening after dinner. On the large shelves I have 91. On ths small shelves I have 45 and on the ground I have 33.

On the work bench is a large plastic bag containing the biggest batch of cuttings I made today which still have to be taken care of.

This is not a good time, not that there can ever be a good time, but some times are better than others, for hurricane to visit my yard.

Here is a picture of a nice looking flower. My last for this evening.

It's was fun today to be let loose in a place with lots of different plants and the go ahead to "help yourself".

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Val, thanks for letting me get the Varigated Devil's Backbone we cut yesterday into the plant files.

I had to move a bunch of stuff to make more room in the nursery. Now to finish my cuttings from yesterday.

BTW, The seeds from the yellow tree/bush at Butterfly World are growing nicely. I have at least four of them growing so far.

Val, was the yellow bush at Butterfly World the same bush that we saw many of yesterday. In fact I think I made a comment about my seeds growing so nicely, I didn't need a cutting.

Art

Mornin' Hap. What cruise line are you sailing on? Have you spoken to them about their plans? They usually lay out to sea until the storm passes, then dock and load. You may have a later sailing time, but I bet they don't call off the cruise. As fast as this storm is going to move past us, they might dock late Saturday night and load Sunday morning. You might miss one port to make up time.......I really hope you get to go! (envy, envy, envy)

Art....What, you didn't even have to stuff your pants this time! LOL
Pati

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Pati.....I have talked to my agent and they said check on-line....which I did this am....no answers as yet...

I agree with you.....I will probably just leave on Sun. We are sailing Holland America, our fav.. What I'm really hoping is that the storm won't come until Sat night....that will let them dock and re-load and be out of here before it hits. But that is probably asking too much.

Now, all that I have to do is worry about my puppy in the kennel...Oh dear, oh dear. I can't even think about him...

Hap

Pati, about that plant, it died.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Art: LOL

Molly, I strayed from my usual highly descriptive style and just made that reply as short as possible. I knew it would bring a laugh.

Art

Mornin all. ID'd another of the plants we cut at the community garden this week. This one's a beauty. It's a multi flowered (yellow and red) native, cotton plant that's on the endangered species list. It's a Upland Cotton, Wild Cotton in the family Malvaceae Gossypium hirsutum L. Below is a picture.
I'm going back on Saturday for another visit and bring them a couple of my plants they don't have, but should have there. This was a nice group of friendly and generous folks that are doing a nice job creating an oasis open to everyone in this urban area.

Art

This message was edited Oct 20, 2005 7:29 AM

Thumbnail by artcons

LOL Art.....A lot of "one liners" came to mind as I read your reply, but I'm sure Dave wouldn't approve of some of them. *snicker*
Pati

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Miss Pati.....what ARE we going to do with you?

Hi Pati, I agree. I could have done a lot with that opening you gave me, but...we are here for gardening!

Art

Hi Hap, have you heard anything about the cruise?

I just finished making more room in the nursery. I am also making plans on what to do with the nursery if the storm comes our way.

These storms are a pain. It takes so much time out of our lives to plan and prepare for them, then un-do it all after they leave.

I hope it goes well for you.

Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm usually pretty sharp when it comes to reading between the lines, but you 2 have me baffled... which is probably just as well.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Still going, Art. Looks as if it won't be here until Sun eve and we will be far away by then......now it's the pain of leaving Archi at the kennel with a hurricane at the door. I am in such a state this am about it I'm almost in tears....

Freeport, Bahamas(Zone 10a)

Hap,

Hope all goes well with the cruise.....maybe that is what we should all do! I know I am pretty tempted to get out of town now too! I had to postpone a trip to Florida to look at my new kitten. I hope everything goes okay with the breeder. Don't worry about your puppy, kennels are usually very good at making sure everyone is okay. And this storm hopefully will zoom over you, and then zoom right beside me! Now I just have to move all my pots indoors!

Lisa

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Such a mess, huh, Lisa......

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

This hurricane has me worried sick about you people. It's been raining 13 days in a row here and it's finally sunny this morning.

I take comfort in thinking that you guys down South are old pros at this but still, I worry about you. All our prayers are with you.

Big hugs to anyone who wants one
Sylvain

Hi Everyone! Good news. The sub contractor that replaces poles for FP&L just left my house. He will replace their falling down utility pole as soon as Wilma passes, if there are no more dangerous situations than mine from the storm.

It's only been seven full weeks since I first called in the falling pole. If you or I ran a business as poorly as this company does, we would be out of business in a heartbeat.

Sylvain, you will be here with us soon enough. Perhaps with the break in the rain you might have more lookers for your property.

The weather here the last few days has been great for growing new plants. Nice overcast sky with periods of rain several times during the day. I've had many terrarium tops off to take advantage of the nice easy rainfall. I think it has helped my growing plants a lot to get the natural rain on their leaves vs the terrarium tops.

New bloomers in the nursery area are, Lady of the Night, Mexican Turks Cap, Lantana camara, Cardinal Climber, Brazilian Plume Flower, three Cork-bark Passionflower, White Mussaenda and the most recent found Golden Shrimp Plant.

The forcast for the days following Wilma is for cooler weather with overnight temps dipping into the upper 50's on Tuesday & Wednesday. Daytime temps in the low 80's. Open them windows baby. It's fall.

On a sad note, my grape tomato plant is gone. It was eaten by something I never even saw. I guess all the new blooming plants in around the nursery, where it was growing, brought in a new batch of larvae that favored tomato plants. It was totally eaten to a bare main stalk about two feet high.

Art

Art, I still have the tomato plant you gave me. It's now safely tucked away in my garage. I will reserve it for you. You know my problem with the naked tail vermins, so it's better that I don't grow any tomatoes.
All my stuff is put away and I'm going to spend the rest of the day taking it easy. I got a couple of movies, popcorn and a nice cold drink. I'm set and just waiting for yaba-daba-doo Wilma to go away.

Val

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

sylvain thanks for the hug i need it after bringing in all my plants again. the good thing is that we probably shouldn't have too much damage because all the other storms took out alot of branches already. also there is supposed to be cold weather after the storm so at least if we lose power it won't be muggy.hopefully.
i was excited to see my first flower on my pink powder puff. it is gorgeous. ( boy it doesn't take much to enthuse me eh)
cass

Thumbnail by candela
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

val, hi lets hope she doesn't bring her son bambam with her.
i have to work tommorrow 7am -7pm. i might even go to the hospital tonight to spend the night so i don't have to drive in this mess.
stay safe
cass

Hi Cass, there will be no Bambam. He's punished in a corner, and not allowed to get out until after Nov. 30th LOL.
Seriously now, take care and stay safe.
(((((((H)))))))
Val

Val, don't hold that tomato for me. With the way the last one was destroyed, any more will be just as quick. I wouldn't want to encourage whatever did that to hang around for more. There is something strange going on in the yard. I have something eating my bougainvillea leaves all around the yard. It's the first time I have ever had problems with bougainvillea, so whatever did that is new to the yard. Perhaps it's the same thing that did in my tomato plant.

Hi Cass, You are finally getting into the job. Good for you. Did you get any more good plants from the house next door? and, what was the song you girls were singing in the picture above, You looked like you were really into it.

I hope everyone is hunkered down for the night. It's going to get rough later on.

Be safe everyone. Don't do anything stupid.

Art

Art, bougainvillea sometimes get eaten by caterpillars. Most likely that is what has been eating yours. It has happened to mine many times. I don't do anything to it then the bugs decide to move to greener pastures and it recovers quickly.

Your tomato most likely got eaten by a hornworm. Those beasts can devour a whole plant in no time. I had a beautiful cherry tomato plant that for 2 years in a row gave me tons of tomatos. One night it was perfectly healthy and the next morning it had been devoured entirely by this huge hornworm. Ughh. I'll still reserve the plant for you just in case.

It has been sort of quiet here, I guess everybody has been busy preparing for Wilma. I hope everyone stays safe. Good luck everyone!!!

Val

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.