Cabbage

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

With Fall here, I'd like to start adding more cabbage to our diet. Our family loves Cabbage and Kielbase, which is just a head of cabbage coarsely shredded in a pot, a bit of water, and two packages of Kielbase on cut up on top. The fat from the sausage drips down onto the cabbage so you don't really need anything else (except for salt and pepper). I serve it with vinegar and it's great! I just saw this recipe on the internet and it sounds great. Anybody else have easy, tasty favorites?

Skillet Cabbage Recipe

Ingredients
2 Tbsp butter
4 cups shredded cabbage
1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
2 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 ounces cream cheese, cubed

Instructions
Coat cabbage and pepper with melted butter in skillet. Add water, salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in cream cheese until melted.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Sounds wonderful, pins

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I always add a head of cabbage when I make vegetable soup. Just chunk it up like the rest of the vegetables. I love it.

Waaaay Down South, GA

Cook 5 cups shredded cabbage, covered in boiling salted water 7 minutes. Drain. Combine 3 tbls melted butter, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp horseradish, and tsp each salt and sugar. Mix with cabbage.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I love cabbage... Shredded, saute in olive oil, salt, pepper a diced diced onion, a small tart apple and just before eating throw in a handful of good crisp bacon..Also here is a good one.

Scalloped Cabbage

1 large cabbage, shredded
salt, pepper to taste
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup milk( I prefer evaporated)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, more if you like
3-4 tbsp finely crushed ritz type cracker

Cook cabbage with salt in 2 cups water for about 8 minutes or so.Drain and place cabbage in a 2 qt baking dish.

Melt butter in saucepan and whisk in flour. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth.. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese until melted..Pour over the cabbage evenly and top with the crushed crackers... Bake 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until bubbly..

Larkie

Waaaay Down South, GA

Larkie
That last one looks especially good. Will have to try it. :-)

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I make something similar to Pins2006 recipe when I make Corned Beef for St. Pat's Day. I HATE boiled cabbage, so instead I roughly slice/shred the amount of cabbage I want & place it in a skillet with a goodly amount of butter, a little salt, & a goodly amount of freshly ground pepper. I stir a bit until the butter starts to melt a bit, then I cover & let the cabbage braise in the butter until it's just crisp-tender - checking & stirring every few minutes. Much, much better than boiled cabbage, & the leftovers reheat nicely without getting slimey.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Boy, these recipes are getting me hungry! One thing I never have is leftovers because I figure they don't do well the next day. If Breezy's recipe is good for leftovers, I'll cook a bit more and give it a try. Larkie's Scalloped Cabbage sounds wonderful. It's on for next week.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes - the leftovers are still great. I've reheated them with other leftovers as a side dish, added them to stirfries, mixed them with scrambled eggs, etc. Butter Braised Cabbage never goes to waste at my house - lol.

The trick is not to cook it to death the first time round. You want it tender, but still slightly crisp.

Waaaay Down South, GA

I agree. I hate cabbage in restaurants. They just cook it to death! It only takes it 8 or 10 mins depending on the amount to steam it. I only use the water that clings to the leaves. Yuck yuck on boiling it!

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

I love ccabbage, and this is y favorite recipe.

shred the cabbage, then heat a skillet with some olive oil and one or two drops of sesame oil, then throw the cabbage in, braise it well, keep stirring it around, add some sesame seeds, salt and pepper and voila.......I've also added some flaked red pepper to this.
I love it like this. i am getting hungry reading all these recipes......

Waaaay Down South, GA

Hey pebble, yours brought this old fav one to mind.

Chinese Hot and Sour Cabbage

1/2 medium cabbage shredded
4 jalapeno peppers
2 tbs soy sauce
salt and pepper
2 tbs cider vinegar
2 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs peanut oil
1/2 cup water

shred cabbage. remove stems and seeds from peppers and chop. heat oil in wok until smoking. add peppers and stir fry 1/2 minutes. add cabbage, salt and pepper. stir thoroughly and stir fry about 2 minutes. add 1/2 cup water, vinegar, soy sauce and brown sugar. stir thoroughly and cover wok. cook 8 to 10 minutes. lift lid and occasionally stir.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Boy, that sounds good!

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Pebble & IO1 - both your recipes also work great with Chinese Cabbage as well.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for passing that along. I never knew what to do with Chinese Cabbage before.

Waaaay Down South, GA

Yes, I like it better with Napa cabbage. Mmmmmm!

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I always try to have a head of Chinese/Napa cabbage in the fridge because you can add it to so many things.

I use it chopped raw in green salads, diced & added to soups, & of course, diced or sliced in stir-fry dishes. It takes less time to cook than regular green or red cabbage & has a much lighter flavor.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

Cabbage and Noodles!! Oh, a big DH favorite.

Cook a package of bacon and drain. Reserve 2 tbsp bacon grease.
break bacon into pieces.

In same pan put in sliced (not shredded) cabbage
1 large onion, sliced thin

flavorings to taste:
garlic powder or grated garlic
basil
parsley
tarragon

boil noodles (wide egg noodles or no yolks wide - a pound)
drain noodles when they are al dente
do not rinse

Once cabbage is crisp/tender, add the noodles and bacon to the pan and put on the lid.
Let the noodles kind of get browned (the cabbage will brown too)

Enjoy!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I"ve seen this combination in several recipes and have never thought to combine the two. I'm so glad you wrote your personal recipe and told us how much y'all enjoy it.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here's my favorite:

stir fry sliced pork in a little teriyaki sauce. Add sliced very thin cabbage and about 3-4 of those longish chinese hot peppers, and fry until the cabbage is cooked down, add hoisin sauce. Locate those peppers and get them out. Serve over rice.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Just steam a little sliced cabbage,drizzle butter and balsamic vinegar on it, yum!! Little seasoned pepper wouldn't hurt....

Milwaukee, WI(Zone 5a)

Wow all the recipes sound good! anyone have recipe for Red cabbage ??........Sharon

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9a)

I had this at a friends house and it was very good. The other recipes sound great (I wish I hadn't already went grocery shopping).

Napa cabbage salad recipe

5 green onions
2 packages top ramon noodles(only use noodles)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup melted butter
2 heads napa cabbage

Brown noodles in butter(don't use seasoning package)
Cool noodles
Shred cabbage

Combine cabbage, onions, almonds and noodles.

Can shred cabbage and put in ziploc bags to keep fresh
Put noodles in separate ziploc bag to keep fresh

Dressing:

1 cup salad oil
1 cup sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 cup cider vinegar

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Just a note re: KathyT's wonderful-sounding recipe. Many supermarkets now carry plain ramen noodles so you don't have to buy the soups & throw away the seasoning packets. The plain noodles are also a little firmer & nicer.

Check in your supermarket's Asian food section if they have one.

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, I will try to look for them

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

sassy, here is one for red cabbage that I love.

Caraway Red Cabbage

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped onion*
1 head red cabbage
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon caraway seed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Melt butter over medium heat in a large stainless steel skillet. Add onion and cook over medium heat. While onion are cooking, core cabbage into four sections, slice off hard cores but do not throw away. With a sharp knife, shred cabbage over cooking onions. Add cores and remaining ingredients. Cover and continue cooking over medium heat until cabbage is tender.

*I use a medium sized onion which is probably more like 1 cup but I haven't measured it.

This is super with mashed potatoes, Bryan's smoked sausage, and Brown Beer Bread or Irish Soda Bread.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

KathyT - I just took a peek at the package I just bought - it's clear, red & black & the brand is Kame Japanese Curly Noodles. It's rectangular, & from the looks of it probably holds the equivalent of 4 soup packages worth of ramen noodles.

Boone, IA

My families favorite way to eat cabbage is Runzas. Those of you in Nebraska probably know a lot more about these than I do but when my kids were teenagers this was their favorite after school snack. This recipe isn't exact but the way my mom made it.

1 lb hamburger cooked with a chopped medium onion

Shredded cabbage. I don't know how much but I've used the packages of cole slaw mix from the store in a pinch and one package is just about right. So, I'd guess about 6 cups.

Caraway seed, salt and pepper to taste.

Fry the hamburger and onion. When brown add the cabbage (and if you use the cole slaw mix the carrots in that don't make any difference.)

Add seasonings to taste.

I use the Betty Crocker roll dough but I've used Rhodes dough in a pinch. For second rising shape dough into hamburger bun size shapes. After the dough rises make a indentation in the dough and add some hamburger filling and pinch it into a hamburger shape. It takes a little practice but after a couple you'll get the hang of it. I let them rise for about 15 more minutes and into the oven until golden brown.

Such simple ingredients but they really are good and you get a bunch of them from a pound of hamburger. Wish my recipe was more exact but it really is one of those recipes that was never written down in the family.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I've never heard of them before. I'm going to have to find a picture to visualize them. They sound great!

Waaaay Down South, GA

I haven't tried this yet and usually don't post when I haven't ... but this one sounds good to me and have saved it to try.
Roasted Cabbage With Balsamic Vinegar #118013
yum! cabbage and balsamic vinegar!! Found this in Everyday Food.
1 head red cabbage (about 3 pounds)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
6 servings
50 minutes 5 mins prep
1. Preheat oven to 450F Cut cabbage into 12 wedges; remove thick core and discard. Pull wedges apart; toss on a large rimmed baking sheet with oil, 2 tsp
salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.
2. Cover sheet tightly with foil. Bake until cabbage is crisp-tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Remove foil; continue cooking, tossing occasionally, until tender and browned in spots, 20 to 25 minutes. Toss with Vinegar and serve.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

RED CABBAGE

As much shredded Red Cabbage as you want tossed with a bit veg. oil over med. heat. Hit with a shot of Raspberry Vinegar (any vinegar will do), and throw in a handful of dried raisins. Cook until they are the doneness you like. Terrific with Potato or veg. Latkes.

GREEN CABBAGE

Saute shredded green cabbage in a little bit (1T) of butter. Cover and let the cabbage steam in it's own liquid until the doneness you like. Add a pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper. Delicious with mashed potatoes.

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

did i ever post my recipe for cabbage rolls? they are stuffed caabbage leaves, kind of like stuffed grape leaves.

well...you blanche the cabbage leaves so that they are pliable.

mix together: ground beef, raw rice, parsley, tomatoe paste, sliced green peppers, red pepper flakes.
tear the cabbage leaf to fit the size of your hand, put a little amount of the meat mixture into the leaf, then roll it up tucking the ends in. (LIKE YOU WOULD ROLL A BURRITO_
when you are done rolling them, line them in a deep pan, one on top of each other, then you cover with water and a dollop of tomatoe paste, cover, bring to a boil, then to a simmer for 20-30 minutes.
well, i forgot to say to use salt and pepper

and usually they eat it with yogurt.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

That sound good! I've always wanted to know, what do you do with the large cabbage vein? Do you trim it or just cut it out?

The Runzas that Nannybee mentioned sounded so good I looked them up on the internet to see what they looked like. At cooks.com I found a recipe for Runza Casserole that looked super easy. I fixed it last night and, boy, was it a hit!

You use 2 lbs ground beef, 2 rolls of crescent rolls, a couple of onions, 4 cups shredded cabbage and a lb of shredded mozzerella cheese. Using a 9x13 pan, put one roll of crescent rolls on the bottom and mash the seams together. Brown the meat and onions, then add the cabbage and cook until soft (only a couple of minutes). Drain the mixture and spread it on the bread. Top with the cheese, and then the second roll of crescent rolls. I didn't bother to mash the seams for the top. It browned in less than 10 minutes! How easy is that?!?

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a winner! I make cabbage rolls but they are pretty big, I use the whole outer leaves, steamed a little to make them pliable. I get about a dozen off a large head of cabbage and save the rest for other meals. Then use ground beef, onion, uncooked rice, a little italian seasoning, an egg for binding, salt and pepper with a little dash of chili pepper if you like spicy, and plop about 3/4 cup of this filling on the stem end of a leaf. If the stem end is real thick it can be trimmed down or cut back a ways.
Roll it up as Sbarr said, like a burrito, but loosely because the rice expands quite a bit. I put them in a dutch oven and cover them with a mixture of tomato sauce and chicken stock. Sometimes I need to anchor the leaf with a toothpick. Simmer until the sauce is reduced. about 40 to 45 minutes, to make sure the rice is cooked. I've never measured the ingredients, just eye ball the amount of beef and go from there!

DH used to eat the just the filling, and leave the cabbage on his plate until I started snagging it for myself, now he eats the whole roll. Talk about competitive eating!!!

This message was edited Nov 9, 2005 9:36 AM

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Those sound good!

WAVING At Sandra!!

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Waving back at Melissa - too funny....I was visiting pebble in Turkey and logged into DG and didn't even think to log out. I think she's still logged in under my name. *hehehe*

So, the post was from pebble.

But this posting is really from Sandra in Ireland... :-)))

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

lol Sandra.......is it funny or what????

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Breezy, thanks for directing me to this thread.

Janiejoy, I tried your recipe today. It was very good. But I should have used more cabbage and less noodles. Next time.

Thumbnail by nap
Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

that looks like it!! you can always cook more cabbage to add to the leftovers (if any). I forgot to add that it is better the next day when warmed up with breadcrumbs on top.
Delicious, isn't it? It's an old Polish recipe I think.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Of course the bacon is essential because the grease browns everything so nicely and gives it a bacony flavor, but I see it with Polish sausage. My husband wants to spike it up with some hot peppers or hot sauce. I also thought a vinegau/sugar/flour/water mixturs to flavor and thisken would be good.

We'll have to have this many times to try all the ways we want to try it. But tomorrow it will be re-heated with more cabbage and breadcrumbs! Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.