Texas Statewide Roundup - April 29th, 2006

College Station is centrally located in the heart of Texas. Travel time to College Station:

95 miles north of Houston
166 miles northeast of San Antonio
169 miles south of Dallas
104 miles east of Austin

Seventy-five percent of the Texas and Louisiana populations (13.1 million people) live within 3.5 driving hours of College Station. I know that the San Antonio to College Station drive is right around 2.5 hours (for me, anyway).

I think an ambitious roundup in College Station would be incredibly awesome, and could potentially be the biggest DG roundup ever. I am willing to organize the whole thing, if there is enough interest.

Dave

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes Dave, that is a great idea! you can count on me, God willing.
Josephine.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Intriguing idea, Dave. With such a potentially large group, one day likely wouldn't be enough. What did you have in mind re accommodations, etc.?
Yuska

The Bryan/College Station area has lots of hotels available. Additionally, surely there are campgrounds. Lastly, I own 10 acres of land 15 minutes to the north of College Station, with water and septic on site, that could be used for camping.

dave

Deep South Texas, TX(Zone 9a)

Around what date in spring?

The Texoma people are talking about late April, maybe early May and I'm going to ask everyone at the CTRU this next weekend if they'd like to do it again in April like earlier this year....

I was thinking April or May.

This would be different that a regional roundup, but rather a state-wide roundup.

Maybe it would be a good idea to combine the Kerrville roundup, as well as the texoma roundup, into this one.

Dave

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Depending on the weekend it I would be very interested..

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

What a wonderful idea. I am definitely interested.

(Zone 8b)

I am interested too, sounds like fun.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

It sounds like fun! I am only about 3 hours from College Station.

Patricia

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I am interested. And I would be willing to let go of the Texoma Roundup to be able to do one in College Station and get as many people together as possible. Ted and others who helped plan last year's Texoma Roundup are going to have to speak up and be the deciding factor on that though.

I can manage up to a four hour drive, anything more gets a little iffy with our schedule, so College Station works great. Camping would be good too. We can drag out the tent and my husband and daughter might even be up for it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It sounds wonderful to me!! :-)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Sounds like a blast! Definitely April would be better for me though, I have three graduations to attend in May.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sounds like something I can manage to make!
Sheila

Maybe combining the existing roundups in April sounds like the way to go. I agree that April would also be the best time for it. Maybe the regional roundups could happen a different weekend.

dave

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Maggiemoo, is the whole month of May or just the second half? If the whole month, I'd say definitely late April. That way most of us will have more plants up and ready to divide and share.

Ted had started a thread in Roundups http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/546247/ for a 2006 Texoma Roundup with a unofficial date of April 22nd.

Of course if the first week of May is okay, the weekend around May 6th would be good, because I can just suggest that my hubby take me to a nice B&B in that area for our anniversary. :-

Staci

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Dave, I think this sounds like a wonderful idea! I had originally posted on the Texhoma thread that April 22nd would work for me but I now have a conflict and could do any other weekend but that one. You can't please everyone with the date but if you choose a date other than the 22nd, I'll be there!
Terrie

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Staci,

I have three different weekends in May that I'll be traveling for the graduations. It's hard to be away from home (and the garden) that many weekends in a row, so I was hoping to have a breather one of the weekends. (But I'll do it for a DG event.)

Let's keep in mind that Mother's day, college graduations, and high school graduations are all in May.

I like the end of April, there should still be plenty of wildflowers in bloom, and the College station/Brenham area is prime wildflower territory!

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I know what you mean about it being hard to be away that much. Three weeks is a bit much already, much less adding this into the mix.

Mothers day weekend is May 13th so I bet that can be crossed off easily.

Let's see about the end of April then.

dave

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Ooooweee, we'll have to remember to warn people to drive carefully. The wildflowers can be mighty distracting! :-)

That's about the time I take my annual "Wildflower/Garden Hunt", so It will be a great trip this year!

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

I think this is a swell idea and would like to combine the two roundups into one. Lets all get togather in one place and have a good one. We can close the one in Texoma for this year.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh my. College station won't know what hit them, lol!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Sounds good to me... HS Graduation is also a concern here... but late April or earlier in May works better. I'd love to give it a shot!

melanie

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, I'm a Newby to Dave's Garden - still finding my way around - and have never been to a Roundup (of course!), so just point me in the right direction (yes, I know how to get to College Station ;-) and tell me what to do, and I'll be there!!!

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Dave, if you need help I live in College Station, and can suggest a few parks that would be good for a roundup. We also have the Antique Rose Emporium only 30 minutes away, as well as Martha's Bloomers in Navasota (20 minutes) that has been featured in Southern Living.

There are 2 others dave's garden people near College Station that I know about (pokiethepickle and throneofyord) that might be willing to help.

April would be the best time because in May there are high school graduations and Texas A&M University graduations that fill ALL of the hotels anywhere within 100 miles of town.

Thanks for your offer of help, aggiecorgi!!

The consensus is definitely to do it in April, so let's plan on that.

It looks like it'll either by April 15th or the 22nd. Doing Saturday and Sunday seems to make good sense to me.

dave

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

The 22nd is probably better for some people with 15th being tax day and such, but Terrie can't do the 22nd. :-(

Is April 29th not an option?

I think the 29th is also a fine option.

dave

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Uh-oh! April 15/16th is out. April 16th is Easter!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

The 29th sounds real good to me.

I like the 29th also.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

I am for the 29th

The 29th it is, then!!!

dave

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

And the crowd roared!!

Too funny Mary, but I think it will be really nice. I hope we will have time to at least say hello to everyone.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, Josephine, the only problem with a large crowd is that it is easy to miss spending time with people. Hmmm.... Maybe we could do a "Speed Visiting" (like Speed Dating, where people talk for 5 minutes, then change to the next table for five minutes, etc.)

I think at the very least we will have to be mindful of our time, but it should give us an opportunity to put a face to all those names we have been seeing, and comunicating with.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Now to get the word out and start some serious planning. Were going to have a party.

Indeed!

I'm excited about this. So this much is set in stone:

Saturday April 29th, 2006, in the Bryan/College Station area. ALL DG members are invited and encouarged to attend. It's going to be great!

It'd be nice to plan activities for Friday night and maybe also Sunday.

Dave

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.