Texas Statewide Roundup - April 29th, 2006

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Welcome, folks! It will be fun to meet you in April!

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Maybe by that time I'll have some double purple daturas to trade.

jorge

And some xanthasoma (elephant ear) babies which grow to 4 foot leaves.

Anyone have a variegated brug to trade? I'm also looking for an agave...one of those blue ones.

jorge

Wimberley, TX(Zone 8a)

I've never been to one of these RUs, but they sound like fun and would love to go. DH is an Aggie so he may even want to take me! What happens at these events? What do we need to bring along?

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

We'll have more specifics as it gets closer. Usually lots of visiting, garden talk, food, and many will bring plants to swap or give away. Looks like there may be some interest in some folks also going to see the Antique Rose Emporium since it's pretty close, and of course it will be the height of the wildflower season. It's going to be a blast!

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

Maggi, I plan on coming to this one... Will there be a site where we can do a pre-trade or trade list?

I think setting up an area is a great idea and I'll do that. Since it's going to be a huge roundup, we need good tools to organize it! :)

dave

(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

OK, count both Maggidew and kenboy in. We're just north of Tyler, but we can surely make the drive - to meet everybody it's MORE than worth the effort!

Meadows Place, TX(Zone 9a)

rjuddharrison, maggiemmo and everyone else, you will be seeing my pretty face there too. Have got the date marked out on the calendar at the store. Amelia2 will not be able to make it since her other hobby, astronomy, will be taking her out to the gorgeous land of the Davis mountains that week.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, Amelia2 we'll be thinking of you as we sit around the fire and watch Kip at his favorite job. That is if we can have a fire. Maybe we'll be doing a rain dance instead.

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

I am so looking forward to the roundup.

I am, too. I've got a call in to TAMU to reserve the place and I told her that I might expect 200 people to show up. That might be a stretch, but I think it's certainly in the realm of possibility!!

When we get a little closer, I'm going to market the roundup to the folks in surrounding states and try to get a real big showing. It's going to be a very exciting one!!

dave

Crossville, TN

Dave....the word is already out to others....http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/557555/
Someone from Texas sent me the info and asked me to post it.

It will be a great time!! Jo

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

This is going to be multi state before we are done... I wonder who is going to come the farthest?

We should have some contests - you know, find out who drove the farther, whose the most upcoming birthday, etc. :)

Thanks RR - I'm glad to see the word spreading!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

VERY looking forward to this! Don't forget people, that The Antique Rose Emporium is close by, so you'll probably want to spend the night and take it in the next day!

My sister is a registered member, but not a subscriber... yet, lol! She's going to be coming as well.

Contests sound fun: The most people in one car, newest subscriber, who packed the lightest (or heaviest)...

Jo (rr), are you coming? It would be so great to meet you before the Southern CA Roundup (yup, I'm goin'!)

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Mary you are going out there for the round up? That would be a blast... I would love to meet Doss and DrDon out there.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

maggiemoo....you ARE coming to the CA RU? That is fantastic!!! I've been hinting to DH about the TX RU since Dave mentioned it. We have a lot of old friends that live all over TX and it could be another vacation destination this year. Hey... don't forget that I traveled to KY for the RU also.

I'll let you all know if we get more serious about it, ok?

Donna

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

How cool! Donna, I keep reminding everyone, this will be the primo time to visit TX, and the primo location for wildflowers. I really hope you'll be able to come, do keep us updated!

Mitch, do you think you might get to go to CA? I'm sure you would love it, I am so excited I feel like a little kid!

Mary

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I would never be able to take off to CA with a 2 year old draging along... maybe in a few years but really would like to be able to go but it would be murder with a little guy and cannot leave him here to have fun! You are just going to have to have fun for the rest of us out there.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll take plenty of pics!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Try to talk Doss into a car load of her DLs when you are there to!

Crossville, TN

darn!....so many round ups....so little time....rather...having to fly from place to place does work hard on ones Social Security check.

I don't know why they call it SOCIAL....it leaves very little money to be SOCIAL with!

SoCal...you drive here and we'll drive on to TX!! How's that sound? Jo

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Yet another need for a DG airbus!! It could collect lots of daylilies from Doss, and take Jo from RU to RU, lol!

Are you listening, Dave? DG airbus (nudge, nudge, hint, hint)?

:-)

Spring, TX

I live in spring , tx and am not far at all to visit this round up. I would love to come and bring plants to trade. Look forward to seeing everyone and of course all the plants. This really sounds neat and I can't wait for April because I always ride up there to see the bluebonnets also. It is just so pretty up there. I am marking my calendar right now April 29th

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

We live in Maryland but are seriously considering this journey! We've always wanted to check out this part of the country :)

Dea

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We would LOVE to see you, Dea!!!

Dallas, TX

Oh boy this Is taking off like a bat out of H---! I might want to spend the weekend. ... are there any motels near by? I can set up the bar in my suite! lol
Sylvia

Dea, I didn't know ya'll were considering coming.

I will personally pay for your airfare (I'm not joking) if it'll get you guys down here and I will drive to Dallas to pick you up from the airport. :)

Of course, you'll stay with us. :-)

Dave

McKinney, TX(Zone 7b)

If my schedule allows I'll be there too.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Dave,
Have you spoken with anyone about offering a discount for members that want to stay the night at a local Hotel? If not, please speak with them about having a block of rooms available for the 28th, and ask if they will make a special rate. A lot of us already get the AARP discount so tell them they have to do better than that. Then we could pre-book the rooms at the special rate! Plus we could have a meet and greet the night before!!! Then we could book a second night if we wanted to stay over.

Dallas, TX

YOU GO GIRL! Shelia what an excellant idea! ... I am more than willing ....but do you have to let everyone know we are AARP members? lol
Sylvia
(edited to yell at Mitch)
Mitch you didnt tell me you changed your Screen name. Whats up with that?

This message was edited Jan 10, 2006 10:08 PM

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Sylvia!!!!! It is soooo good to hear from you again!

Yes, Sheila, that is a fantastic idea!

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh yeah I think a hotel discount is definitely in order!

I'll see what I can come up with!! Good suggestion!

I have lots of koi/goldfish/subunkin mix baby fish from my pond in College Station. Would anyone be interested in me bringing some of the baby fish for trade? They multiply like bunnies....

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh yes!!!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I would be up for Shubinkin, but have enough Koi. I just don't know yet what I would have to trade.

On second thought, I better not, it is a long trip back, I don't think they would make it. Thanks for the offer though. I am sure someone closer to you would be interested.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2006 8:43 PM

Sweet, I have been mostly inactive on Dave's for a while, when I realize, it is probably time to try and get another plantswap going here in College Station. So I get back on Dave's and suddenly find out that not only is one already being planned, but that Dave lives in Bryan! Wow! Dave, if you need help on this, let me know, I have a few vacation days saved up.

Thanks throneofyord! I'll let you know when (not if!) some things come up that you might be able to help out with. I'm really looking forward to this roundup.

dave

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.