Texas Statewide Roundup - April 29th, 2006

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Dave, understandable. Perhaps a limit to 25 pound or smaller would be comfortable for some.

Thanks!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The city parks look REALLY nice. :-) I don't think we'll probably need the either of the ones that hold 200+ people (although that would be awfully exciting! Maybe next year??) It looks like John Crompton has the restrooms attached, which would be much more convenient than having to find the "softball field concession stand." I vote for John Crompton! :-)

I looked at Washington-on-the-Brazos State Park's site, too. They do have reservable pavillions, but they are more expensive than the city parks and have much shorter hours. It would be a great place to stay for anyone who is planning on camping, though! It isn't very far away from College Station and it is an awesome state park. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/washington_on_the_brazos/

~ Marylyn

Edited because obviously my reading comprehension skills need work. LOL Thanks, patrob!!!!! :-)

This message was edited Jan 30, 2006 5:16 PM

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Marylyn, double check me, but the way I read the descriptions of the pavilions, Bee Creek is the one that has restrooms at the softball field. The John Crompton pavilion accommodates up to 100 people and appears to have restrooms in the pavilion. All of the facilities look very nice, however.

Patricia

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ahh! Thanks, Patricia!! I'll go edit my vote. :-)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Central Pavillion: 200 people
Southwood Pavillion: 300 people

Dallas, TX

I love the way Central Pavillon sound:)
Sylvia

Meadows Place, TX(Zone 9a)

both Central Pavilion and John Crompton Pavilion sound great to me but I'm with Dave.......just how many are planning, fer shur, to be going. Would hate to rent the 200 place and have 40 show.

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Southwood is within walking distance of me. It is nice enough for a meeting but is fairly bare. Because it is bare, there will not be a lot of regular park visitors. This means that apart from the odd dog walkers, we will be by ourselves.
Central Park is very nice, has good facilities and some nice scenery, fishing and ducks. It should have more than enough parking and bathrooms. There will be lots of other visitors there, but that in it self is no bad thing.
I love Bee Creek, but then many others do to. The parking will be half full just from normal vistors. It has some nice trails through the woods and there is a pool with waterslides.

If we want to put our best foot forward, I would personally prefer that we used Central Park.

-Bob

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

The parking is tight at Hensel, but it is right next to the TAMU Horticultural Gardens, and is a nice old time park.

-Bob

Dallas, TX

Why not start a thread for RSVPs? at least that will give us a start on a head count.
Sylvia

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I did a makeshift spreadsheet comparison to look at the amenities of each.
IMHO
Bee Creek and John Compton are too small with only 10-12 tables and 49-100 parking spots.

Southwood or Central Park (is only $50 more)
They have 21-25 tables, kitchens, restrooms, and will accommodate 200 with parking for 200. Either of these will be easier to fit motorhomes that folks may come in, or pull behind with plants.
Deciding between the two of those would need to be done by someone on the ground and would depend (IMHO), on which one had the closer and more convenient parking for unloading / reloading.

I for one would be willing to put up $ to share the expense of the rental vs. bringing food, since I am coming down the day before. That is if I get a room, and can.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes count me in for expenses- just let me know how much and to whom I should send it- I am sure all would appreciate that rather than my bringing food-LOL.

Dallas, TX

I hear ya Bob ... I might be bringing a guest ...or two.
Dave should break the responsibilities into committee so he wont have a nervous breakdown before april. Whats the date again?
Sylvia

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Dave, as you can see, we are all getting a bit antsy. I was told by one person planning to attend that when the person tried to make reservations at two of the more centrally located motels/hotels, they were all booked for that weekend. Perhaps something other than our roundup is going on that weekend?

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Sylvia, the date is April 29th. Just remember the last Sat in April, or look at the title of this thread (it gives the date ;-) )

Yes, Dave, don't be afraid to ask for help! We can't have you having a nervous breakdown. Trish would not appreciate that at all, lol!

Dallas, TX

OK Maggie, my bad! I am so excited I am beggining to sound like a blithering idiot! lol OK, its in my Dayrunner now.
Sylvia

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

You're not a blithering anything, sylvia. I'm excited to get to see you again!

Dallas, TX

Oh Noooooo Posie! Dont tell us that! ...and I dont own a camper! sob...sob...
sylvia

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

I just checked on Travelweb.com and found many available rooms for Friday night, April 28, and for Saturday night, April 29. :>))

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I want to come to this one. I've got to figure out how to get the kiddo from school on Friday and get someone to let Bleu in the house at night(too big to bring with me, too big of a baby to sleep outside at night).

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

That is good news, patrob. I know this is going to sound dumb, but I never heard of Travelweb until your message.

Dallas, TX

Patrob...can you send us the link to Travelweb? Maggie did we ever decide on which park/ location? Josephine you are noty off the hook yet. LOL
Sylvia

Head count! Please post here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/573122/

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Travelweb's site is www.travelweb.com I have used it for about eight years, but I still get a feeling of power when I make a reservation on line. :>))

Click on Hotels at the top and enter your destination and dates of arrival and departure. It will bring up a list of motels and hotels, and you can check prices and availability. Nothing is final, of course, until you give credit card info and click reserve, so checking what's available is no risk. I have never had a glitch in my reservations made through Travelweb.

Patricia

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Come on folks, Dave wants a head count!!!
Who is planning on attending the RU???

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/573122/

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Everyone post and comment about this in their favorite forum. Lets get the word out!!!!
E-mail your gardening friends. If not mail them anyway >LOL

This message was edited Feb 3, 2006 11:21 AM

Dallas, TX

OK I am going to Hostas and Perrenials.
sylvia

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

I am so excited about this! I can't wait to meet you all. I am new both to this forum and the Bryan area but this sounds like so much fun! If there's someone here looking for a cheap place to crash for the weekend, I've got an extra bedroom with an air mattress. I'd be more than happy to place hostess as long as you don't mind my pig (see link below)! Just let me know! I also could help out with arrangements or setup if you need it. Just say the word!

Kim

Cleo the pig: http://community.webshots.com/album/96283850YfrhJh

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Welcome to Dave's Garden, Kim! :-)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome to you Kim! Cleo was a cute little pig...but Mama Mia she has grown up!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Welcome, Kim! (Cool pig)

John

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Add one adult, take away 2 dogs for us :o)

Dallas, TX

Oh my Kim! .... never seen a pig that small. :)

WELCOME TO THE GROUP!
Sylvia

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sylvia, you better take a look at the last picture again. The baby grew up! LOL!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

well, John sent me here [shame, shame]. But honestly, I am WAY too far from College Station. Maybe i should go to a toundup in Wisconsin, that would be closer LOL.

will be watching to see how much fun you all have

YEEEEEEEHAW!

McKinney, TX(Zone 7b)

Will anyone be bringing their teenagers? My girls are 15 & 12. I need to figure out if I'm going to bring them or not. BTW, both have been trained by the Red Cross for babysitting. If I bring them, we can put them to work, lol!

Dallas, TX

Oh my Kim ... is Cleo potty trained? :)

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh yes...she's litter box trained and house trained. She used a litter box exclusively when she was younger, but now she goes outside most of the time. And yes, she has grown....she is about 70lb now. Getting a little too heavy to lift or have lay on my lap...lol. She's well-behaved though and a great companion!

Kim

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Sandi - I have a two year old soooo if they come they will have their hands full if they want to.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Mitch, that sweet son of yours won't be any trouble. He was so well behaved the day I met him. Or did you say he was feeling bad that day of the Dallas swap? LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.