Rose propagation: my method

Fox River Valley Are, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi
Well I found this cool thread so I ran out and bought some rooting hormone. I was reading the label and it turns out the stuff I bought is not very strong only .1% IBA. What do you think should I use the .8% instead?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

it depends entirely on the variety of rose, I have found. If the rose is vigorous in the garden -- grows rapidly, not fussy about care, blooms heroically through wet and dry, then your .1% may be just fine. If you want to root something less vigorous or somewhat temperamental (my favorite example -- 1960's tea roses) you may want to use a higher strength GEL-BASED rooting hormone. Give yourself a break and take cuttings from offshoots at the base of the plant -- they cells are "younger" relative to the rest of the plant, and more likely to produce adventitious material.

With the weather turning I thought I would try a quicky on my Ebb Tide & Pat Austin. After looking online I found out I could get the .8% cheaper than the .1% locally, but thats how retail works.

Thumbnail by intercessor
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I never thought of using GAP for rooting hormone -- how is that working for you? LOL

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for all this information - I'm going to give this a whirl.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i just sent the link to this thread to Terry and asked her to put it up top in the resource thread. then it's always handy.

How long will rose cuttings live if the roots don't take? Trying to determine if my cuttings are getting roots or just hanging on. I planted them 16 days ago and some of them look quite green yet.

Thank you

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Intercessor-
I've had them turn black in just a few days(before baking coir, and bleaching the cuttings). But, I've also had them die, even after rooting.

I'd say my personal experience is that if they are not going to root, they'll die within the first two weeks.

If they are going to root, they can continue to look good for about a month. When rooted, they'll begin new growth. If your cuttings begin to "sprout" new growth right away, the new growth needs to be pinched out...it will steal all the energy from the stem, and the stem will not be able to root.
-T

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I stuck a Joseph's Coat cutting in the ground (with rooting hormone and a humidity dome) in July. It's still green and still has leaves, but it hasn't shown any new growth. If I tug gently on it, it resists pulling out. I'm going with the assumption that it's still viable, at least until I see sure evidence that it died. I plan to mulch over it with leaves for the winter, since it's only about four inches high.

Any input on this?

w

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

This is one of my watched topics and I've picked up such good info here. Winging's post about the Joseph's Coat cutting reminded me of something my late neighbor did a few years ago. She picked up a small (2 ft) piece of dead tree branch from the scrub near the woods. The wood was gray and brittle and had been lying there for at least 8 or 9 months. She stuck it in her front flower bed to prop up something else. Three months later there were green shoots and leaves emerging all along the branch. She quickly removed it and replanted it in the woods near her home. It's a small tree now and still hanging in there:)

Winging-
I'd say it is definitely rooted by now.

I'd say you have a good plan to just leave it, and mulch it, except...aren't your winters pretty cold? Can that roses roots survive the winter like that?

I'm in 8a, so not that familiar with how roses do in your zone, but I'd lean toward wanting to protect it a bit more, being that it is so young and small...

-T

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Well, IT has happened. The last leaf fell off and little bitty leaf buds are forming and I saw ROOTS (they're little but they are roots!).........
I HAVE PROPAGATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the spring I will have Ronnie Reagan 2 Hopefully.

YAY!!!!!!!

Congratulations!!

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thank You T- I am feeling a bit like a new mom. I hope he will stand proud and tall like his Papa has.

Venu- Yes, I can understand feeling like a new mom.
Believe it, or not, I get excited over each and every one that roots. It is always a great feeling, and I've never stopped being excited to see roots.
-T

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

seedpicker, I too, remember how my grandmother would take a cutting and just stick it in some moist sandy soil in the shade and invert a quart canning jar over it. She had fair results, but how did the cutting get any air that you said is so important?

I honestly don't have a really good answer for that.

All I can say is that plants breathe our exhale(co2) and we breathe theirs(0xygen). It would seem that after a while, the jar would be completely filled with co2, but perhaps with a cutting with minimal leaves, this would take longer...plus, their is oxygen in the soil, too...

Good question!

I know lots of people, including myself, have had a cutting root, simply by sticking a cutting in the ground, or in soil.

The method in this thread is just to improve the odds from chance results, to more reliable results.

Happy propagating!

Yes it should really increase the chances to use some or all of your advice. I just thought it looked funny to see these canning jars sticking out of the ground and things growing in them.
I cannot find another climbing rose bush like the one growing on the back deck of our office so I am going to try to root 2 more I guess at this time of year, it is hopeless even if I bring the cuttings into my greenhouse?

It is certainly worth a try!

I take a lot of cuttings this time of year. I've read taking cuttings after first frost is a great time to take cuttings, since the mold spores have been tricked into going dormant.

Well, I tried this, but they just wake back up in the warm greenhouse, lol...

But, if you bleach them, that should kill the spores.

The stems have stored energy for Spring growth, so they certainly have enough energy and hormone in them to root right now, if given the right conditions ...
-T

Welll, I'll try getting some cuttings tomorrow. It will be difficult though, because I work at a large perpetual-care cemetery and the owner's son is being buried tomorrow. A huge shock and his Mom is so distraught that she is almost non-funtional.

Death is always a shock, whether you are expecting it or not, or whether you are even used to dealing with it, or not.
You'd think people "in the business" would handle it differently than the rest of us, but not so.

I used to date a mortician many moons ago. Even when you see it every day, it hurts just the same when it affects you, personally.

I'm very sorry to hear this, for her sake. It must be just about the worst time of year for it to happen, too...
-T

The poor mom is about 78 years old. Very elegant, intelligent and business-like. But this was her baby, he was so spoiled and haughty, got into drugs, a couple of bad marriages, then contracted diabetes. He was supposed to have died of a diabetic "seizure" but I have never heard that term before. I know about diabetic comas and I have seen diabetics get weak and shaky when their sugar got too low, but this is a new one on me. Everyone I had to tell about the death said, "did he OD?" so sad.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Very sad.

SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

For me, this is a 12 step program, I am hooked & I have been inspired, I must propagate!!! Have you tried propagating via rockwool?? I ask because i have tons and I do not have coir. I surely supposed it won't hurt to try. WONDERFUL thread, seed!! My pal, Jeanette, sent it to me or I never would have known. Lots of wonderful info!!!!!!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I am so glad you mentioned rockwool, because not only do I not have it, I have never seen in up close and personal. My sense is that it is fairly firm. How do you get a seed or cutting into it? Do you poke a hole with a pencil first? And then do you just let it it in a tray that always has a little water on the bottom? How did you come to have tons (just eager shopping?).

(I haven't used coir also, but I'm eager to try it.)

I've not used rockwool.

I've always wanted to try it, but havne't ever done it. The coir is easy for me to get, and I read that it is the "new rockwool'. Supposedly rose growers started with rockwool, then went to coir.

If you already have it on hand, you should definitely use it!, lol...
-T

happy, I use a wooden bamboo skewer that we use on the bar-bee to grill beef/shrimp/veggies, etc, on a stick. You could use just about any thing, even a toothpick. I just make a hole and stuff the seed in - I stick about 3/4rds of the seed in, or maybe a bit more, and let a teeny tiny bit of the seed show. I love rockwool and it's a wonderful way to grow brug seeds, I've had great luck, in fact, every one of my seeds rooted the year i broke my ankle and when I came home from the hosp, my place was packed full of 8 or 10 inch brug seedlings, LOTZ of them, lol. Good luck!!! I cannot wait to see if the rockwool will work in place of the coir, since I still have a boatload of rockwool...

Where did you get it??
-T

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

And seedpicker_TX, where did you get the coir?

I buy the bricks of coir at Petsmart. They sell it as "lizard bedding". It is on the reptile aisle.

It is about $5 a brick.
-T

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Interesting. I had heard something like that, but when I looked I didn't see it. I didn't have information as precise as what you have given me, so I'll try again. It may also turn out that having lizards as pets may be more of a Texas than a Maryland thing.

You can find it other places. Some online garden stores have it.

I've even seen it on ebay.

The only thing with those is that sometimes the coir is not as finely shredded. Big chunks and long fibers are ok for orchids, but not as nice for rooting.

The lizard bedding stuff is very fine, like coffee grounds...

You know...you may have a point there, about the lizards...and I've always wondered why they are even for sale here. I could catch dozens of them off my back porch on any given night in the summertime, lol...geckos, anoles, you name it...
-T

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

My daughter would be in seventh heaven. Whenever we visit her grandfather in Florida, she spends hours racing to catch lizards. . . .

You can find rockwool online, Google it. I pay extra to get the teeny tiny blocks cut into perfect little little pieces, with a spot on the bottom, that lets too much water drain out and I put 1 seed in every little place and they all germinated. I get the smallest squares but I've forgotten what they are called & don't have a clue where I ordered them, probably eBay. Like if they give you a choice of a block or 2 inch thingies or 1 inch, get the 1 inch or the smallest, not sure of the size...I don't like the flat, solid rockwool or the 2 inch, the tiny one is best for me...

Hi,
Well it has been 3 months since I put my Pat Austin and EbbTide cuttings in the potting soil. Most of them died but
I had 3 that have stayed green and put out new leaves just recently. The Pat Austin cutting started to look sick so I pulled it out of the potting soil thinking maybe I would have roots after 3 months... Well I had a calus on each one about the size of a dime to a nickel. Not sur about the EbbTide as I do not want to disturb that one yet. For now I have it soaking in water. Will 10% bleach solution (to clean the cutting)kill the calus? Any suggestions from here would be appreciated.

Good day,
Andrew

Grand Prairie, TX

Wow - great info! I'm going to give it a shot.
Less than a year ago, I had nothing but weeds and a bit of grass in my yard. I have now succeeded in turning the front yard into a park - and am working on the back. I live in Grand Prairie, Seedpicker_TX - so I am not far away at all. I went totally gung-ho with the roses - and have about 40 in the front yard, and outside the back fenceline. About 12 of them are knock-outs - all of the rest are different... some purchased locally, the majority from Vintage Gardens. Just placed an order for another 20 from them, and about 6 from Wayside Gardens. If you ever want a snip to root, you're welcome to come by. I'm considering trying rooting now - and setting them out in the temporary greenhouse I set up. Several of my roses I picked up at a Daves Garden swap at Trinity Park in Fort Worth last summer: Graham Thomas, Monsieur Tillier, Lady Elsie May and Chrysler Imperial.... two from Venessa and two from Weldon. Lady Elsie May and Graham Thomas did the best... but the other two are nice and healthy and I expect more bloom from them this year.
Mary

Sherrylike-
Thank you for the information. I'll have to give them a try.

Andrew-No, don't worry...the 10% bleach for 20 minutes will not hurt the callous. However, I've found that disturbing them while they are not fully rooted will often cause them to abruptly die. I try not to disturb them unless they are black, and need to be tossed, or they are fulled rooted and need a new container of their own.

This is hard to do!, lol...it requires great patience. Something I am continually trying to learn, lol...

Mary-Thank you for the invitation. I'd love to see your roses sometime. With all those roses, May must be your favorite month!
-T

Grand Prairie, TX

They are all new roses! I think the first ones were put in the ground around May last year! I am really looking forward to spring - but they were awesome in the fall also. All of them are roses with good rebloom.
Mary

Ok I took the three surviving cuttings out of the dirt, because they were drying out, and put them in water for a couple weeks. They had a quarter size callus with no roots. Put them back in the dirt,looked yesterday and I have big roots showing through the plastic! :*)

Andrew

YAY!!!

I'm sure you were quite pleased to see those beautiful white roots!
:0)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.