Ornamental Sweet Potato, Sweet Potato Vine 'Margarita' (Ipomoea batatas)

Denver, CO

Ornamental Sweet Potato, Sweet Potato Vine 'Margarita'
Ipomoea batatas

Budget Host Inn of Grand Junction, CO hanging with its famous Ipomoea.

Thumbnail by ineedacupoftea
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I wonder how the plants are watered.

Denver, CO

A friend and I had a little bet going: She thought there had to be a tube system. So one day when she was with me, I pulled in and asked:
They are watered twice a day by hand.
The gal at the office had a little flyer printed up with 'FAQs,' I imagine they get quite a few call-ins about those vines.

I can't remember what the bet prize was...

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the information, JamesCO. It takes dedication to water so frequently but I imagine that the plants are quite a draw to anyone passing by. I'm certainly impressed!

We were stationed in a remote region of Australia in the late '60s, long before sweet potatoes became so popular for their foliage. Longing for house plants, my husband suggested that I root a common sweet potato. It was lovely, and I'm almost tempted to set up the screen and take out the slide projector to see if it was in any of the pictures we took.

Denver, CO

That could be a great story to file under Ipo. batatas. The longing for green is powerful!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I dug up the tubers and made cuttings for next year but I am wondering if the tubers are edible. Are they really just sweet potatoes?

Denver, CO

Just sweet potatoes. (But with more decorative foliage.) Their latin name's the same: Ipo. batatas. Food crop cultivars are bred to grow more and bigger tubers, though. Give it a try and tell us if this plant has another dimension of enjoyment!

Just in time for Thanksgiving.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.