adenium losing its leaves?? Need advice

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I received a nice order from Shoalcreek succulents that included a very nice Adenium 'tree'. It has since lost all of its leaves. I have it planted in a mixture of cactus potting soil and pumice for drainage. It's sitting in a the window of my kitchen where it will receive the most direct light. I have another adenium in the same place and it's doing fine.
Could this be a response to the stress of being packaged, etc? If so, is there something special I should be doing to baby this little guy along? I really really don't want to lose it. It's got a lovely form. Any advice will be appreciated by this newby to succulents.
I could move it into the greenhouse on my heated sand bed, under artificial lights. I have many other succulents growing there and they love it. Would this help?

Valley Village, CA

It probably went into shock from transplanting it. Let it settle down before you begin to water. This may be a bad time of the year for it to go through the mail system. It also may need more heat.
Yes move it into the greenhouse, I think it would do better. They don't like to be cold, especially if wet. You found the answer to your own question. This is only an opinion, mine are doing well in my small hot house, and I live in So. Calif. Norma

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I think you are right, Norma. Thanks for answering my question. I did some reading about them last night and losing leaves due to cold was mentioned. It does get cold in our house at night, and we've been having extremely cold weather for our part of the country lately. I'm moving both adeniums into the greenhouse today. I noticed yellowing of the leaves of my other adenium, too.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Yes.... you did nice, at this time plant need light and warm atmosphere and less water.
Kaleem

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Mine always loses it's foliage this time of year (grown indoors, though!)....so watch the watering, as Kaleem stated.

It needs next to *none*....but you'll have to monitor your plant for it's watering needs.

Freeport, Bahamas(Zone 10a)

Don't panic! I have had adeniums for so long and have learned one thing over the years.....it is pretty stinkin' hard to kill one.......only guaranteed way is to overwater. Remember that they store water in their thick trunk so a little will do you!

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Thank you, all! I have moved them to the greenhouse where they will have warm soil as I do think we keep our house too cool for them. How soft and squishy is the trunk supposed to be? I noticed on my first one that when it arrived the trunk (caudex?) was fairly squishy, but after about a week in its pot, it firmed up. This new one still hasn't firmed up at all. Do I need to be concerned about that?

Valley Village, CA

I'm so glad that all of us are iin agreement.
Pixydish, does it have roots? It is so hard to advise you, we can't see your plants, nor feel it , or look at the roots. Trust your own judgement. Is it warm at this time? And does it have healthy roots, if so you may water if it is shrinking. Ipakosh, I am also in zone 10. I did notice where Pixydish lives, and it's really cold there. I just hope she can pull the plant through the Winter. Often they will grow back the leaves when they feel well enough again. Norma

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

The plant is well rooted. I think it will be fine. It has two new little leaves and the trunk has firmed up a bit. The soil is slightly warm to the touch.
It has been very cold here at night, but the greenhouse stays well above freezing. It is 27 degrees outside now, but the greenhouse is 43 degrees. Still cool, but certainly better than outside! It is much colder than usual. We don't generally get this weather until January.
Here is a photo of the plant in the sand bed. I've moved it forward for the photograph. You can see Edithcolea grandis behind this plant. I think she looks a bit anemic.

This message was edited Dec 1, 2005 12:04 AM

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Here is my other one. It appears to be doing well.

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Here's a better shot of Edith.

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Your plant is completely okay, dont worry for leaves, In winter leaves can drop. The plant on the left side is Acheveria? Very very beautiful.
Kaleem

Freeport, Bahamas(Zone 10a)

I think they both look fine, wish I was there though, it would be so easy if I could just palpatate the trunk. The big one looks like it could be gorgeous. It is a lot bigger than the other one so it may just take longer. Don't worry about the leaves.....adeniums are very well known as easy shedders. One small thing changes and they drop everything. I have a generic pink coming into bloom soon, I will put a pic on here for you! All my others right now are either not blooming or too young to bloom.

Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, all. Yes, Ipakosh, I wish you could palpate the trunk, too! Because I'm not really sure how it is supposed to feel. The big one is Adenium 'Thai Socotronum'. Hope I spelled that correctly. Don't know the cultivar or species of the small one. I just think they are extremely cool!

Kaleem, the plant on the left with the purple bloom is actually a carnivorous plant of the Pinguicula genus. It apparently loves sharing the space with all the succulents. I love the pretty pink color of the leaves, and they are very sticky. You can see a closeup on the carnivorous plants forum. It is keeping that area of the greenhouse gnat-free!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.