S Fl Galloping Gardeners 12/20/05

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

This is the continuation of the adventures of a little group called the Galloping Gardeners. All are welcome to join us while we explore, share etc.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi, and good Morning....

I will be at Sylain's at 8:45 tomorrow and ready for that Long Ride...lol I will bring a snack for the trip.

Hap

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hello, everyone.

Woo Hoo, this impromptu GT is going to be so much fun. So it's confirmed: we are going to Cassandra's "jungle" on Wednesday morning.

Val, you are more than welcome to join us. The van seats 7 or 8 people; the more the merrier. As Art was saying in the previous thread, where could we arrange to pick you up? Please advise.

Does anyone else wish to join in? I know we have picked up a new member recently. All are invited, although with all due respect, it's really not my place to invite people at large to someone else's garden.

Nancy will be driving over to my place, where she will be leaving her car. Then it's on to get Art, then we'll pick up Val somewhere off I95. .

Art, I have looked and stared at that picture of some kind of yet-unnamed creature until I got cross-eyed. I copied it to Photoshop (my favourite tool) and enlarged it. I have turned it into a black and white image, tried negative colours, etc. I just can't find anything in there except grass and what appears to be mulched grass. Am I the only one with this problem? So far, all I can tell from your post is that it has wings.

Here's an idea for the Wednesday between Christmas and New Year or the first Wednesday after New Year. Gail and I could throw a barbecue here at lunch and take advantage of the pool in the afternoon. That would be fun. Nothing fancy: salads, hamburgers, dessert, etc. Gail hears about you all the time and you hear me talk about her. Everyone could meet and have a good time. Please let me know which day you prefer. I will be flying back to Montreal on Jan.11th (Snif & BooHoo). I hope I won't have to stay there too long. This is really beginning to feel like home.

Sylvain.

Thank you. To make it easier on everybody, I'll drive directly to Cass. I will contact her for directions. I'll meet everybody at her house at 9:30. I really want to see her "jungle".

Val

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Morning all.
Sorry about the confusion of the panorama picture. It's not the picture at fault, it's my narration or explanation. I'll take it one picture at a time and include another picure I didn't have in the panorama.
This is the first part of the panorama. The part of the picture on the extreme left.
In this single shot, look for the largest piece of debris on the right side of the picture near the middle. On the left end of this debris it's pointing to the body of the creature. In this shot the head is not visible, but it's back is.

Thumbnail by artcons

Val, your message came up as I was posting the first part of my panorama explanation of the creature.
Why waste your time and gas making a seperate trip. Why not meet us someplace near I-95 and the closest connecting road to your house, like Sheridan or Sterling roads. There has to be a Publix or Winn Dixie there. Or how about the Penn Dutch parking lot off Sterling RD.
Think about it. It just makes good sence.

I'll continue on with the explanation.
This picture is the middle one in the panorama. In this shot the large piece of debris is coming from the lower left corner. As the debris points to the middle of the picture, it's also pointing at the creatures head. The body is no longer visible in this shot.

Art

The explanation continues.
In this shot, the right side of the panorama, the creature is just below the long curving brownish colored piece of pine needle. It's head is just below this pine needle and the rest of the body is clearly visible as are it's wings.

Thumbnail by artcons

Thank you Art, It does make sense, but I need to get back at a certain time. I have to be flexible to leave at any moment and that would inconvenience everybody. I'm carving a small chunk of time for this because I really want to see Cass' s garden and I don't know when we'll have the opportunity again.
Val

Oops, I missed attaching the picture (don't you just hate it when that happens.)
Ok, here we go again. This is the second shot you were supposed to see above. It's now out of sequence.

I'll continue on with the explanation.
This picture is the middle one in the panorama. In this shot the large piece of debris is coming from the lower left corner. As the debris points to the middle of the picture, it's also pointing at the creatures head. The body is no longer visible in this shot.

Thumbnail by artcons

Hi Val, we did it again...crossed during messaging.
Ok, now I understand your situation. Is there anything I can bring for you.
I have a close to complete listing of plants. All that is missing is what is growing in the nursery. I will email you a message after this with the file attached. If you see anything please just ask.

Art

Boy did I just screw that up. Wrong picture. Well rather than do it again, I will just go out and cut the grass. LOL... Then it's gone forever.
You should be able to see it in the pictures above. I didn't mean to make as big of a deal as it turned out to be.

I thought it was an interesting creature. It's probably some kind of wierd (to us) moth.

No mistaking this picture. I call this one "who needs poinsetta" when you have hibiscus like this blooming. It kinda goes along with visiting the beach on Christmas day.

Enjoy!
Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Art, you may find this helpful http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/lepid/moths/fl/toc.htm

As you know I have been organizing my plants in a file some of you received by email. If anyone wants this file, which includes all my identified plants to date, just send me your home email address. In future plant swaps I can make plants for you, since you will know what I have.

At any rate, I came across plants growing in my nursery that I figured out where they came from. The picture attached is one of those plants. If anyone can id it for me, please do.

The plant came from the community gardens Val and I visited a few months ago. The picture is community gardens 0437.

Thanks
Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Another plant for id.
This plant came from the Community Gardens Val and I visited.
Looking at these community garden pictures this morning, the light bulb came on again. Remember those seedlings I included with the terrariums I said were Strongbark seedlings. I could be mistaken. Looking at this plant I remember taking seeds. The leaves in the picture, especially the smaller leaves, closely resemble the seedlings in the terrariums. Thing is, they resemble the Strongbark tree seedlings as well. I had many more Strongbark seeds than I had of this plant so chances are those seedlings are Strongbark trees, however there is a possibility they could be from this bush.

Anyone able to id it. The picture is community gardens 0438.

Thanks,
Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Hi all,
Val thanks for the moth link.
I was visiting a different type of site on Monday, trying to id my newest weeds. Some of the information I came across was a plant I purchased a few months ago is listed as a weed. That plant was the Maypop passionflower. You could have knocked me over with a feather. Our beloved Maypop a weed...
Another one was the Cork-bark Passion Flower. I also purchased that one a few months ago. Since then I have found them growing in the wild under my overhead utility lines. I have probably found 5 or 6 of them this year alone. I am wondering how many i have pulled and thrown away because I thought they were...uhhh bad weeds, for lack of a better term.

Perhaps my wandering off looking for weeds isn't such a bad idea after all.

Hope to see you at Cassandra's "Jungle" today.
Art

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Art,
The first one reminds me of yellow 4 o'clocks (mirabilis jalapa). I don't know what the second is but if you find out let me know because I am always pulling it up out of my yard.

Hi Jan, thanks. I have some 4 o'clock seeds from MollyMc. I started them earlier this week. Once they begin to grow I can compare the leaves.

The second one was a good sized bush. As I remember it was better than five feet in height. I am attracted to plants with berries as they keep birds coming back to the yard.

Art

Hi Everyone. Val, Sylvain, his dad and me GT'd at Cassandra's home and garden "jungle" this morning. Of course we arrived with empty shopping bags and left with them overflowing (at this point it's all right if you get green with envy.)
Except for the chilly weather it was perfect. From the expresso coffee through the narrated tour and of course clippings and pull up's of whatever we wanted.
She has a great sized yard, in both front and back and it's full of "you name it & she has it" plants, trees and bushes.
We had a great time and a lot of fun.
Here is our group shot of the day.
Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Another picture I took just to show the lushness of her yard. This was taken in back. Her yard is so big you just can't get a picture of it all and I wanted desperately to show the lushness and why I call it a "jungle".

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Hi to all, we had a great time today. Cass's jungle is beautiful. I felt like a kid going through a chest full of treasures. Came home with a car full of cuttings and a Pony Tail Palm which I've wanted for the longest time. Thanks Cass!!! Plus, I got to drive through my old neighborhood. It has changed so drastically that I didn't recognize anything. Wow that was something!!

Val

Hi, everyone.

What a wonderful group I found when I joined Dave's garden a few months ago. I still can't get over it: the visits, the camaraderie, the shared knowledge, everything!

First and foremost, many thanks to Cassandra for having us at her place, making espresso and making us feel so welcome in her "jungle". Even more thanks for allowing me to dig up so many wonderful plants which, until today, I could only dream of in the frozen North. Today's GT was just awesome, even had I not come back with my father's minival full of plants.

When we got back home, I packed everything nicely into a huge industrial Rubbermaid bucket with a little water at the bottom. They are waiting for me to get them into the new bed tomorrow morning. I'll be out there at daybreak (pursuant to my habit) and I can't wait to get digging.

I'll post pictures of the project before, during and after I am done. Of course, I'll make dreadrul mistakes but this morning's outings taught me that if you don't like a given plant in one spot, you just uproot it and move it. Everyone here at the condo is very excited to know there will be new plants to look at in a near future. Although we employ a team of gardeners, the administration doesn't go out its way to have them plant anything too exotic. That's a shame.

Art, the pictures you posted look great and I know my father was highly impressed by the pink powder puff bush. I printed a copy of each for him. Although he is not a gardener, he's always pleasantly surprised by my gardening accomplishments. He certainly enjoyed this morning's event.

Val and Cassandra, I always listen closely to all you say because I learn so much each time we get together.

Nancy, it was such a shame that you couldn't join us today. Looking forward to counting you among us next time.

Remember everyone, we have a date on Jan. 4 for a barbecue lunch at my place.

Take care, all of you.

Sylvain.

This is the last unidentified plant from the Community Garden Val & I visited. This is probably as difficult a plant to ID that i have posted here. It's been giving us trouble since the day of that visit.

Anyone got any idea's about where to start on this one to find it's id?

Thanks

Art

Thumbnail by artcons
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Good Morning All....

I'm still sick...was in bed all day yesterday and I don't think I will be up too long today. So sorry I missed the trip to Cass'; maybe next time.

Art, that looks like the "weed" that grows all in the grass. I see it a lot in the medians. It must be a hardy little sucker for it takes the mowing like a trooper.

Jan 4th sounds great, Sylain, because I will be back from Rochester by then. Does this party include our spousal units?

See ya later..

Hi Hap...Don't cha just love it ...spousal units LOL.

Hope you feel better for your trip. When ya leaving? Were gonna miss ya.

That's not the same weed that grows in the grass. This one was over five feet tall and thick as a....never mind. Just look at those great looking flowers.

Later all. Gonna try to get all those plants and cuttings put away asap, before I loose 'em.

Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Art, I leaver next Tuesday, AM and will be back New Year's Eve. Can't wait to see my babies....

Nancy, It's always nice to go back home for the holidays and visit with family and friends. We'll miss you here.

You and your spousal unit have great holidays and the best of new years. btw, Merry Christmas

Finished my cuttings and pull up's from Cassandra's. Boy am I in trouble here. I am out of gallon pots, out of spare dirt (from diggings around the yard) and out of room in the nursery.

I decided to take some pictures of my nursery, at the expense of you knowing I don't have a real nursery, and show you how buisy I have been with cuttings and pull up's lately.

The following will be a series of posts showing you what's going on here.

Picture 736 under the windmill

Thumbnail by artcons

picture 737 walkway to nursery.

Thumbnail by artcons

picture 738 lowest big unit shelf.

Thumbnail by artcons

picture 739 middle big unit shelf.

Thumbnail by artcons

picture 740 top big unit shelf.

Thumbnail by artcons

picture 741 top small unit shelf.

Thumbnail by artcons

picture 742 middle small unit shelf.

Thumbnail by artcons

picture 743 lowest small unit shelf.

Thumbnail by artcons

picture 744 South side of nursery showing plants on ground and two shelving units I call my nursery.

Thumbnail by artcons

picture 746 my newest project, the relocated arbor and it's planted already. Some plants directly planted into the ground some climbing up from hung pots. You can see some of the nursery shelves in the background and the shade cloth I use to shade the top shelf of the big unit.

I am outta here.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Hi.

I planted that bed today. First order of business was remove all that was growing in there. By that, I mean all that I could tell was growing in there. No telling what roots will generate new plants in a few days. Then, I had to enlarge it so it would be better positionned with the building's balconies.

I planted the Mother-in-law's tongues, the elephant ears, the banana, the white bird of paradise, and so many other plants whose name I can't remember. The neighbours are very happy someone is finally taking care of that bed. I have planted the large philodendron by one of our nice trees and it should start climbing it eventually. As a matter of fact, I think them philos would look good climbing a few palm trees over here. More on that later.

Art, you've been busy, I have found another lot of pots for you and trays too. I'll drop those off at your place tomorrow. I can't say when but if noone's home, I'll leave by the front door. I can't imagine anyone making off with used plastic pots and trays. Hope you can use them. Apparently, if you need more, I just have to give the gardeners a nod.

Family and friends will be congregating here on Dec. 24 for an evening of cards, carrying on, fun and games, etc. Then at midnight, we'll wish each other a Merry Christmas, open a few gifts and sit down to a cold buffet. Gotta go to Costco tomorrow to stock up on munchies and other delights. Also, I need another gift for someone.

I'll be making a traditional french canadian fudge called sucre à la crème (sugar and cream). My father wants to learn how to make that. Why couldn't he learn while his mother was still around and he was younger? Family and friends all fondly remember eating that way-back-when but very few people can still make it these days. It's definitely not health food: sugar, cream, nuts and vanilla!

I'll cook a huge batch because we enjoy giving that fudge away at Christmas. Also, it wouldn't be Christmas without a few cranberry loaves. I'm going to be cooking and baking most if the day on Saturday. Thank God, it only happens once a year.

Nancy, sorry to hear you're not feeling any better. Get well soon. Re that Jan. 4 BBQ, I don't see why your spousal unit (LOL) couldn't come. As I always say, the more the merrier.

Take care, everyone.
Sylvain.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks Sylvain......I will be in touch with what I can bring. Going back to bed...

Hi Hap, sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I hope you get well soon.

Val

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Gosh darn you guys have all the fun down there. I'll have to see if there are any party animals like you guys around this area to hang out with up here. Maybe start a Bay Area Galloping Gardeners. LOL
Jan...

Hi All.

Sylvain, I will be gone Friday. Saturday or Monday would be better since we could go out back and see if we could find something you want.

Everyone I have a listing with pictures of my plants. If you will send me your email address via dmail I will attach it to a message. I made it so people will know what I have and I can make plants for them for trades or roundups, etc.

Jan, I think it helps that three of us in Broward don't work. I also think throwing out days that those that work are off, as Cassandra did above helps. We found a few gt's ago that by getting a date everyone is available, we have bigger turnouts.
Something else is the galloping gardner thing. People that like to travel around see and do different things and don't want to do them alone.

Art

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.