Florida Tree Climbing Plant

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

When I was in the Keys In December I saw this plant in top of tree at LargoLodge in Key Largo and on #1 at Duck Key. It is 3 sided. My question is this orchid, epi, or cacti? Thanks for your heip.

Thumbnail by larrycook
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I call that ;my Florida snake cacti...lol

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks. What color is bloom?

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

That's a Hylocereus or Night Blooming Cactus. The flowers are usually white and fragrant.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I had one plant that climbed the side of my townhouse when I lived in Davie. The flower is so large and beautiful and only blooms at night. I would sit out at night and just admire the bloom. I would watch it open at dusk and after it was open I would shine a light on it and the flower would actually shudder as if it were in pain and slowly close it's flower. I thought I was hurting it and never did that again.
It doesn't look like much without the flower but it sure makes up for it with it's bloom.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I have some cuttings of these; anyone interested?

Ocoee, FL(Zone 9b)

I would love a cutting of this. I also saw this and am looking for my pictures of it in bloom to share. . It was all over the in Marathon.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

here was mine in key largo.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

That's it! Isn't it beautiful?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i think the most beautiful bloom i ever personally saw!!!

(Zone 9a)

It is beautiful, but will it grow in zone 9?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

nancy, i think it would with protection and since these are tree climbers i would think the trees would offer some protection. i see so many plants up here that i thought would only grow in the keys that i am pretty convinced that i am not pushing the zone near as much as i could be. on the other hand, the next couple of nights make me glad that i left so many behind! debi

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I grow mine in pots and hanging baskets, take them in in winter. The ones that I've left out usally die when temp. gets into hi 20's They root so easily I protect my large ones. This season I'm going to try hanging basket in my office.

(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the information. It would probably live on the oak tree pretty well, but the hanging basket sounds pretty, too.

Dutchlady, I'll take a cutting. I don't have anything to trade, but I will provide SASE or SASBE, if that's right.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

yep will grow in zone 9.....amazing how oit loves to climb palm trees here

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.