S Fl Galloping Gardeners 01/04/06

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Our new post for the New Year. We are a group of S FL gardeners that meet regularly to exchange information, trade plants, explore our area, and to just have fun. All are welcome to joins us.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

art, in your email you asked for the plant out by the pool is this the one that you were talking about.

Thumbnail by candela
Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Cass, yes, that's it. A small piece would be great.

Thanks, see ya in the morning. If you have problems just call.

Art

I would guess that most of us that garden in Florida are fans of butterflies. With that in mind,
I was looking at a thread I began here many moons ago on a trip to the Key West Butterfly Conservatory http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/509700/ The last post made yesterday by TexasPuddyPrint noted the following Butterfly Bait and the recipe for makeing it. Once again, this is courtesy of TexasPuddyPrint.

"Will let you in on a secret we use down here - we use Butterfly Bait to attract the fruit feasters. We find a large variety of butterflies eating at bait stations - Blomfield Beauty, Gray Cracker, Guatemalan Cracker, an assortment of Leafwings, Question Marks, Hackberrys, Emperors, Blue Waves, Red Rims, Band Cell Sisters, Red Admirals, Banners, Malachites, Satyrs...oh, I can't remember them all...but the stuff really pulls them in."

"The mix is simple: Mash a few pounds of ripe bananas, a pound of brown sugar and 1 bottle of Guiness Stout beer. Just put everything in a blender and mix it up. Use it fresh or let it ferment in an old milk jug for several weeks to a year! I keep a gallon of it in my south Texas garage (temperature warm up in there!) and open the lid every couple of days or to vent it so it won't explode. As I use it I mix up a new batch and add it to the jug."

"I have several pieces of firewood (with bark) hanging from my trees. I used a saw to cut out some grooves into it so the butt-bait will stay put and run off. Many of the folks out at the butterfly gardens just pour it on old tree stumps or fence posts."

I mention this because I did find my plastic champagne glasses I will use for butterfly feeders with the recipe from another poster in that thread. I am bringing along a couple for each of you at Sylvains today.

Will fill you in on today's "adventure" later on.

Art

We had a nice GT today. Nancy and her DH Bob, met Cassandra, Sylvain and myself at my place. We took a quickie tour of my yard then headed off to the community gardens/park or whatever it's called. The weather was outstanding. Nice bright sun with mid 70's tempratures and a mild breeze.

The place was pretty much as I remembered it, minus a few major trees. For the most part of the trip we had the place to ourselves. It's a bit overgrown and needs a little TLC, but that didn't seem to bother the us or the many butterflies there.

I came back with a bag of cuttings for Val and three bags for myself.

We left there and went to Sylvain's for a tour of his newly established garden by the lake. We met his wife Gail then went poolside for a outdoor lunch at the condo's poolside cook out area.

We were joined by Val and her DH Mark and Sylvain's father for lunch. Sylvain did all the work we did all the eating. Ahhh, life is good here in sunny South Florida, burrrp!

After lunch we went back to my place for out customary plant swap.

Before they left, the girls really helped me out by id'ing a bunch of plants in my nursery.

I only have one picture for the day, Val's DH Mark took it. From left to right Nancy & Bob, Val, Sylvain, Art and Cassandra on the end.

Enjoy!
Art

Thumbnail by artcons

An off thread topic for a moment.

This morning I posted in a thread I started a week or so ago. The thread was about a data base I use frequently. I updated the thread with what I think are the five best Florida data bases, not including the first data base i mention at the top of the thread.

If you have need of good Florida plant databases, these six are great. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/564383/

Enjoy!

Art

Hi everyone. We had a very nice lunch at Sylvain's on the 4th where we met his nice wife Gail. He did all the work while we got to enjoy the finished result. Talk about being spoiled LOL. Thank you Sylvain and Gail for the nice lunch!!

Now it's time to decide where are we going to go next. During the lunch Cass mentioned going to Excelsa Gardens in Loxahatchee and then going to Tropical Bamboo. Is anyone interested?

My schedule is very tight right now, but I have a few days here and there to spare. Sylvain will be gone on the 11th until ??? As it stands right now the only days I have free are the 9th, the 18th, 21st thru the 23rd, and 25 thru the 29th. There is the trip to the Everglades if anyone is interested in going. There are quite a few gardens and parks we haven't yet visited. What do you all think?

Val

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Good AM and yes, Sylvain and Gail, thank you so much for your hospitality.

I have nothing doing all month so any time is good for me. Given a choice, I like Weds and Fridays best.

Excelsa Gardens sounds good to me too, especially the trip to the bamboo gardens.

Hap

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Oooooh, 'tis a cool one in South Florida today. Hey, I'm not complaining. It will be way colder in Montreal next Wednesday. I'll endeavour to be back as soon as possible. If I could carry out all that business from here, I wouldn't fly North.

Gail was very pleased to meet everyone and finally associate a person to a name. She sends her best to all.

Here's a good picture of Art tending the community gardens on Wednesday, LOL. Although I am beginning to the idea of "pruning" while visiting, I still feel like I really shouldn't be doing that. I'll get over it, like iguanas, lizzards, etcaetera but it may take me a while yet.

Take care, all.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Call the Plant Police.......hehehe

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Art!
You've been caught. Green handed!!!!!

(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the link, Art. It is helpful.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Attention, Attention.....Sugarweed is coming.......Party time.

She will be here on Jan 27 and 28.......Let's plan supper here on Friday and then an outing on Saturday. Yes?

I'm so excited I can't stand it.......

Hap

HI everyone!

Val, I have you and Cass available on the 21st. Nancy and I are available most of the time so that would be at least four of us on the 21st. Cass said she would let us know as her schedule is posted what days she is available after the 21st. I have her down as available the 14th next week. We should consider something for the 21st for at least four of us. We should also get Nancy out to Excelsa gardens and Tropical bamboo so she can pick out a bamboo for her yard.

I have a coleus from Nancy that got left behind at my place, or I grabbed two of them by mistake. The coleus is pictured below. It is a single plant although it looks like two different plants.

Sylvain, I have a begonia Cass forgot to give you. I took the liberty to chop it into several pieces. It should be ready to go into the ground by the time you are back.

Nancy, on the Sugarweed weekend, I probably won't be able to make it Friday night, but I am available during the daytime both days.

I potted all my cuttings and swapped plants on Thursday. I even managed to clean up my nursery area a bit. I am totally out of one and three gallon pots. I am thinking about calling (what's his name) at Alexander's and ask if he will swap a bunch of his pots for a bunch of my strongbark seedlings. He wanted the seeds badly so perhaps he will go for it. It's worth a try.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Art, I'll do a one and 3 gallon round-up for some pots before I come. I took quite a few to Molly Mc, so I don't know what's left.
Nancy is so sweet to have me and we'll be plant shopping I'm sure.
Sidney

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

What'd ya say there, Sidney?

hehehe

Sydney, it will be wonderful to have you here. I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Nancy, dinner sounds good. The next day we could take Sydney plant shopping or to one of our galloping excursions to see something neat and exotic. What do you think?

Art, the 21st sounds good. I would have prefered a week day because those days I try to get my DH to help me with my garden redo. But if it's not possible then Sat. is fine. I have to find out if Excelsa is open on Sat. Tropical Bamboo is open from 12 to 5, but we must call ahead to let them know we'll be going. As soon as I find out about Excelsa I'll let you know.

Val

'mornin all.

Couldn't sleep. Went out for a walk around the pool patio. It's not that cold out there (said Art in his jammies) I don't have a thermometer out there, but I wasn't cold. There is no wind either.
I posted in a thread by MerryMary about cold affecting their plants, that perhaps in late Feb or early March we could have a round up down here and replenish their gardens with fresh S Fl plants. What do you all think about this?

Sidney, it will be great to finally meet you. You were one of the first persons to communicate with me after I joined Dave's. It's going to be good to have you among us even if it's only for a couple of days.

Val, I thought on the 21st, since at least four of us are available we could visit a place like the everglades or whatever, but something other than a nursery. We can take Nancy to Excelsa & Tropical Bamboo any weekday you are available. Nancy and I are free all month.

We need to find a place not too far away to take Sidney, so we won't be wasting too much time riding in a car. Val and Cass seem to know all the places...What's a good place for a day trip that's not too far?

Request time...I am looking for palms to grow for my yard. Keep your eyes out for seedlings coming up in your yards of palms that don't get too tall. Twenty to thirty feet maximum would be great. I am in no hurry so seedlings are great for me. I already have Areaca's and Cass is going to get me some Alexandres.

I think I forgot to show you girls the yellow bush I found in the wild. I took pictures this morning in good light so they came out pretty good. Take a look and see if you have any suggestions...This morning after the pictures I thought they resembled several verbena types I had seen when researching the Nashia. I spent several hours looking through verbena and found nothing. If you could point me toward a family here, here it would help a lot. The main plant is about 18-22' tall. It has four branches, three that you can see clearly. The flowers produce in little clusters as shown. It is really beginning to bloom now. The inset is a close up of the flowers, which are actually shown about two times their real size, which is no more than 1/8 inch across. I have an extra one of these potted.

Thanks,

Art

Thumbnail by artcons

Well Art, you are not the only one with insomnia tonight. Here it is 3:40 AM and I'm still wide awake. It's one of those owl nights....

I would love to make it to the Everglades on the 21st if you all agree. The weather is perfect now and all the northern birds will be there. Plus, there is a lot of winter flowering natives that grow there. I'm sure you will all enjoy it a lot, I promise that you won't be dissapointed. If not then we can think of another place.

When Sydney visits us we can go to the Bonnet House in Ft. Lauderdale by A1A. It's especially close to you Art. The gardens suffered some damage with Wilma, but that's everywhere else too. They have interesting tropicals, orchids etc. Here is a link with a little visual tour http://www.bonnethouse.org/garden/garden_1.html

I don't recognize that plant at all, but it resembles some weeds I've seen.

I think I'm finally getting sleepy. good night all

Val

Well Guys,
It's currently 39 degrees here in St. Pete. I'm keeping an eye on the forecast but will probably take the day and spend it more more cold fragile plants into the unfinished shade house and put some plastic up around it for the rest of the winter. Times like these that I miss zone 10. Guess I'll bring in some of the newer seedlings I just put out and get out my tote of old sheets and blankets I keep for these times just in case we get a freeze warning.
Jan...

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Good morning all,

My weatherbug says it's 34 in Gainesville right now. It's usually 7-9 degrees colder out here in the sand hills. Darius has the indoor/outdoor thermometer in her room, so when she wakes ups, she'll let me know the lows outside.

We have water trickling from the pump house hose and from the hose on the main house as well as in one of the bathtubs. We don't want any frozen pipes. We still have several days work on the pump house before it's finished. First have to buy the roofing and siding.

I put all the potted citrus trees in my van to help keep them a bit warm. The feed and seed had a sale on these trees. I got some for $2 and $4. They stand from 2-4 feet tall.

My coffee pot outlet has no power this morning, nor does the GFI plug which is the next one in line. We just had the GFI changed out yesterday. At first I thought the coffee maker was dead. Don't know what's going on with that.

We are going up to see Amaryllisgal this morning for a bit. Waiting for it to warm up so we can get some work done outside.

We got the cold weather veggie plants put in this week. Broccoli, mustard and onions.

Monday Jeremy and I are driving down to Lauderdale for a job. We'll be staying in the customers guest house while we do some painting. Coming back on Friday so we can get the siding and roofing ordered for finishing the pump house. Have you seen it?

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

You gals are amazing. What do you do in your spare time? Do you hire out? ROTFLMBO

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Good AM..

I would like to take Sidney to Living Colors and J. Durko's. Bonnet house charges to get in and there isn't much "rescuing" for us to do there. Also, I think that she wants to be able to buy some plants.

How far a ride is this Everglades trip?

Hap

Hey Molly,
I've been painting the out side of my house for 3 yrs now. Since I know how I procrastinate, I did buy a commercial pressure washer so I wouldn't throw money away and constantly renting it. Got 2 sides done and part of the front and back. Need to replace some of the fascia board but I thought I'd wait till I get the money to replace the roof this year.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Jan,

Molly and Jeremy did my house just before they left and did a great job. Nice people too....hehehe

Jan,

Hap's house was the last house I did with my pressure washer. I sold it to my computer man when I left Lauderdale. I didn't have a spare space to put it in the move. Now we have to do some pressure cleaning when we go down next week. I wonder if I should borrow it back from Gordon. :^)))

When we finish the pump house, I'll be needing to paint that. Haven't decided what color yet.

Molly

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

good morning everyone,
my cable tv/internet were pulled out by mistake by the neighbors ficus hedge (or i should say trees). so i had to wait til i had a day off so the guy could come and fix it. it is so crazy how only 3 days without cable i feel so like i went into withdrawal from not having daves garden to go to.

sylvain and gayle thank you for a wonderful day! i really enjoyed your bbq and it was nice to see you progress in the garden bed.

i brought in all my orchids, hoyas, and potted plants two nights ago. at what temp.do you guys bring in you plants. it is chilly but not that cold.

i also brought in kiwi my canary. he is singing his little heart out. probably an attempt to stay warm.

i would be up for the everglades. it is the best time of the year to go there.
my days available are jan.22,27,28,30,31,3,4,5,6,7,10,13,14,15,18

Thumbnail by candela
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Art, while I was visiting your yard last Wednesday, I snapped up this picture of a very interesting clump of yellow flowers. I just thought I'd share it with you guys.

As to Sidney's visit, you know me: I'm not difficult to get along with. Your choice will be mine. If I'm back from the Great White North, I'll go right along and enjoy myself tremendously.

As to how far the Everglades are, it's not so much a matter of distance as to who's driving and how fast we cruise along. I've been known to really cruise. Ah! Ah! Just kidding (not really).

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

Aw, what a pretty birdie!
I am sure anywhere ya'll pick will be great. I leave it entirely in your hands.
Sidney

Wow, Art what flower is that?
Sidney

Art, would that be one of the Honeycomb Butterfly Bush?

Molly
:^)))

Hi Everyone!

Molly, seems your place is coming along nicely. Yes, it's a butterfly bush and I got it from you. I have a few more of those Cuban buttercups for you. If you can drop by to pick them up, I will pot them for you, let me know so I can get them ready.

Cass, I already had you off on the 21st is that correct?

Sylvain, will you be in touch with us here while you are back in the "Great White North" or do we just speculate on when you are coming back?

Nancy, Living Color and Jessie Durko's sound good to me. I think Sidney will enjoy both of them. How's the green and beige copperleaf holding out? I have another ready if you need it. This week I will be trimming all the copperleaf's and will save cuttings of all of them, just in case.

Sidney, don't forget to bring your "sample" bag. Living Color disposes of bunches of their plants "in the back" where no one can see us stash their throwaway's in our "sample" bags.

Val, I thought I was supposed to call them Florida Wildflowers, not weeds anymore. BTW, what was that bush you gave me? I thought it was a caper?, but I forgot already. The blue flower and unknown strongbark from the community gardens/park I cut last Wednesday are holding up good so far. Being hardwood cuttings, one never knows, especially after being in the car all day, but they look like they came back nicely. All the other stuff I cut there looks like it's doing ok too. So far no problems with any of the plants I got from everyone on Wednesday.

I found another corkbark passionflower growing wild under the night blooming jasmine. It was just about four feet from the one I showed you when you were here on Wednesday. That's the fifth one I have found here since I became aware of what they were.

My Cape Honeysuckle are making seed pods.

It looks like we have at least four of us for the Everglades trip, yea! I'll book the wife's Explorer.

Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Art,

You still haven't answered me.......how long is the trip? Are you not going to tell me??? hehehe

Nancy, not sure, but I would guess about the same time as it took to get to Plant Creations in Homestead, or perhaps 10 or 15 minutes more. It's not that far from there. Val would know more since she has been there before.

Cass, you were right about that mystery plant picture I took at the Key West Botanical Gardens. It's a Variegated Pandanus Pandanus sanderi. Plant Creations sells them. So far it's the only place I have found that does. It appears this plant is more popular on the West coast in the Naples are than over here. While visiting Plant Creations site to check out the Pandanus, I found they also sell Copperleaf's. The correct name for the green and beige Copperleaf is a Java White Acalypha Acalyphya wilkesiana Here's a link that shows their miscalenous plants page where you can see the Pandanus and Java White. http://www.plantcreations.com/misctropicalplants.htm

Last entry. I went to the Regional Conservatory data base and did a look up on what plants are available at the Everglades National Park. It's a long list so I just included the link. Take a look and you will be drooling just as I was. Got to get a bigger bag for this trip. The place is chock full of natives. http://www.regionalconservation.org/ircs/database/plants/ByConsArea.asp?SiteID=319&SN=Everglades%20National%20Park

Enjoy!
Art

Hi everyone, it's been a busy day for me.
Molly, your place is looking good. It seems you've done a lot in short period of time. I'm glad that things are finally working out for you. I got a question for you, it seems that my pond sensitives are dying. Some just have the runners with no leaves. Is that normal or is it that my goldfish are eating the roots? What do you think?

Living Color and Jesse's sounds great to me. Sydney will surely like those nurseries. I was just at Jesse Durkos the other day and they got no shade left. The big trees where they had all the shade plants are gone. They had fewer plants, but it could be too because it's winter now.

Cass, I usually bring my orchids, tender tropicals and others when we have some wind coupled with chilly temp. usually below 45F. Because I leave far West I'm usually a few degrees cooler. Last night we got to 40 and tonight it will probably be the same. I brought everything in and cover those tender ones that are in the ground. i left them in the garage because tonight it'll be cool again.

Art, ye of little faith. I was telling you how much you would enjoy the trip to the Everglades. We will all have to bring big bags and of course cameras to record all that we see. We would have to pack a lunch too.

Nancy to answer your question it will take a little over an hour from my house to the entrance of the park. From here we would take I 75 then the turnpike to S Dixie Hwy and then a short distance west to the entrance to the park. My car can sit 4 or 5 comfortably. I don't mind doing the driving. If is just the 4 of us then we can go in my car. I'll leave to you guys to decide what you want to do and from where you want to leave.

Val

Val,

I am going to take a guess here on the sensitive. Let's hope that it is going into a semi-dormant state due to winter being here. I was at my brothers' house last Monday in Orlando. He has some of my senstive and there was still some foliage on it. Much colder there than where you are.

Remember, it isn't the cold so much as the daylight hours that inspires dormancy periods.

Driving along the turnpike, look over at the canals on the sides. Notice they don't have as much greenery on the water surface as you saw in the summer?

I wasn't able to bring my pond or fish with me t his time either. :^((((( So these are merely guesses on my part.

But, if they die off, you can get more at the Dania pond place on US1 just south of Stirling Road, a couple blocks, that old 2 story white house with a big fence around it.

Molly

Thanks Molly, hopefully that's what it is happening. The few leaves that they do have are yellowing. Although, I feed the fish once a day, they like to munch on the vegetation and I was afraid that they were eating all the roots. By the time the strong sun and heat returns if I don't see more growth then I'll have to replenish them. The fish will fry in the pond with no vegetation to cool them off. The sun cooks that area especially now that I lost all my trees.

Are you coming to visit us soon? If you do come we should get together. Maybe we can go to a nursery or just get together for lunch or such. What do you think? Anyways, keep up the good work. i've been following your progress closely and I'm quite amazed as to how much you 3 have acomplished. It's going to look great once you complete all the projects.

Val

Val,

Jeremy and I are leaving tomorrow morning to come down for work. We have 2 or 3 people to do some work for. I'll let yall know when I find out exactly what. If nothing else, maybe we can get together later in the day after work or something.

Molly

Val,
I got some sensitive plant from Molly at the swap at her house. They did really great and are still alive but appear to be dormant at the moment. Lost a lot of there leaves but I don't belive it's dead. I'm leaving it in there till spring. The water lettuce gives them enough cover and I have a small lake near me there is loaded with anacharis that I can harvest anytime.
Jan...

Oh Jan that's good to hear that it's just dormancy. I'll just wait for spring (which in here should be just around the corner). I would have hated lo lose them because they are so pretty and provide a good cover for my small pond. Molly gave me an anacharis, but I need to get more so they can help oxygenate the water for the fish.

Molly, we could meet after you finish work. Go for a drink or something. It'll be great to see you again. You have my number just give me a call. My DMIL changed her schedule and arrives Wed. so I'll be busy with her until the 17th. So if you have time then we can meet on Tuesday.

Val

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.