Gardening with Texas Native Plants & Wildflowers, Part 10.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

This thread is continuation of parts 9- 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

To reach the other theads click on this link http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/546233/

Hello Everyone,

The people on this thread are interested in discussion, seed and plant trading, and learning in general about native plants and wildflowers.

We are dedicated to plant conservation and love to demomstrate what can be done with the native plants that have been ignored by the nurseries in favor of the exotics. Many of the plants in our yards are native and we are always looking to improve. We are sure there are others out there doing the same thing and loving it as much as we do. Please let us talk about what you are doing and what you have accomplished.

We hope to hear from all you dedicated gardeners. Let us have some fun.

Sincerely, Josephine.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Made it over here - can not wait for Spring to get here to see what made our crazy weather!

I think it would be good to start with a clean slate.
Here is the wildflower slope, all shaven and shorn, can't wait for Spring, it is always so exciting to see whar happens, no two years are alike, so there is the element of surprise.
Show us what you are starting the new year with, and the progress later on.
Let us have fun.

Allright Mitch, I see you are on your toes.
Here is another view.

And one more from the other direction.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Here is some of my new beds.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

And here is the main part of the older beds, I am now up to half of the lawn! It took two years but with the berm in place I can see the rest filling in very very soon!!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

what are the little blocks?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

These are my zones with a what I am planning for each one... will see if I can keep it right! I know natives are going everywhere but so are some veggies and my Daylilies...
8 is now all natives and there are natives in every one of these.. I just planted 4 Arroyo Lupine in zone 8.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2006 3:35 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Bricks standing up 1/3rd in the soil 2/3s out to mark my pathways and keep the hose out of the beds! Wife hates them so they might come out once things get growing... but only to mark off a new bed... hehehe

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi y'all! I haven't been over here in months! The holidays have kept me so busy. I hope you all had a great Christmas! Our weather is so strange and I'm back working outside, so I should be stopping in more often.

Do you all have stuff coming up already? My cannas are, some seeds are, some bulbs, and a lot of other stuff has already started new growth. And I'm back to watering again.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Mitch, I must be slow today. I was referring to blocks standing upright

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I have things up and Yarrow is blooming! All my bulbs are up and my trees are budding... I am not sure but I dont think any seeds are up yet.. Any idea when yall plant your radish and greens around here? I was told by one guy around here to do this next Monday but that is a little early right? Any ideas on these non natives?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Yep the ones laying down and standing all both brincks.

Mitch! that is a vey ambitious plant you have there, if it all works out the way you planned it is going to be amazing.
I can't wait to see it, be sure to keep us updated on the progress you are making.
Thank you for showing it to us.
Josephine.

Page! it is so good to hear from you! I had been thinking about you and wondering what might be the matter. I am glad everything is O.K. and you are back.
Some of my plants are starting to grow, but my trees are not budding yet, and I hope they don't because we are sure to get more freezes and loose the fruit, or damage the leaves.
Of course there is nothing we can do about it, so we'll just hope for the best.
Josephine.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

If I get it growing it is going to look great, kida like your slope with paths... and one day my little sticks will turn into trees and I will have shade at last and I will be able to grow even more.I will keep posting on here what is up and when.. only if you, Josephine. keep us up on that slope.

BTW - Manihots that you gave me are up and I have all 10 all in the foot tall range! I should have some nice blooms for spring!

Mitch, I am not sure about radishes, but I do have Kale planted and it is a few inches tall and looking good.
I suppose you could also plant collards and mustard greens at this time too, they are all quite hardy, I know the kale will go through freezes without a scratch, and it is extremely nutritious and delicious to boot.
Tthe elephant garlic is now abour one foot tall.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

My Garlic, Garli Chives, and Walking Onion all for you are going strong, you can see them in the second pic in the tallest tier of the raised bed.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone, this is a nice start to the new year. Can't wait to see the slope as it changes throughout the year, Josephine.

Mitch, wowza! You are really going to town! I know how that feels, it was the same for me after the pines were removed from my back yard. I marked off the pathways with landscape stakes - they sell them at HD & Lowes by the bundle, pretty inexpensive. They are pine stakes, about 1x2, and you can get them in 12", 24" & 36" lengths - just pound the pointed end into the ground. It really made a difference in helping me to visualize everything, and was super easy to move around to make changes. Be sure to document your progress in your garden diary. It helps to look bad at your progress, and others could benefit from it, too.

Josephine, I have a huge bean pod on one of my crossvines. I have just left it there to watch, but am wondering how long it takes to ripen. It's brown now, has been for a few months, but doesn't look like it plans on opening anything soon. Have any idea? Just curious.

Mary

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks Mary - When we got here we saw the huge pile of 200 bricks - wife wondered what to do to get rid of them I just keep moving them over into the new beds to mark them off untill the plants get big and then I move them on a little farther to the next garden. When I am done with the rest of the beds I am going to use them to build a short wall coming out of the berm (thanks for the idea!) to the back to mark a path.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Josephine! I've been fine, just busy. Hopefully things will slow down a little now.

I've been watching my trees too. I just said the same thing to my husband yesterday as we were bagging up dead things, that our trees are growing and have buds and hopefully they won't bloom too soon. A few years ago we had that late freeze and it killed the blooms on my Altheas and it took them forever to rebloom.

Mary, I think that the Crossvine seedpod stays closed untill you break it open, at least that has been my experience, but I have never grown it from seed.
I think the seedpod should be ready to harvest since it has been brown for a long time.
Let us know how it works out if you do plant it.
Josephine.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mitch--I'm amazed and impressed by your organization ability!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Konkrete,
Missed you and TXMEL too. Glad you are back. I can't wait until Spring but I sure need to be busy now getting organized like Mitch is!
Sheila

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I will not tell you then that I have maps of each area with the plants numbered out so for exanple I know that in bed 1 plant 40 in a native daylily, picked up in Ellis county at a road dig in 2000.... every plant is that way. Then I cross it with a list that lists the plants in ABC order and have the info the other way - so I want to find the Red Salvia in winter I bought at walmart - bed 4 plant 2 .50cents.... I might be a little tooooo ordanized... it drives my wife nuts but it is the only way I can keep it all strait.

Good going Mtich, you really have it all together. Pat pat pat, in the back that is.
I wish I was that organized myself.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Sheila! I'm doubting many are as organized as Mitch! What are you needing to do? I wish I could be and keep records, but I'm lousy at tracking things. I've got several garden journals and never remember to write in them. It just depends on what type of person you are. Mitch must have a little OCD. ;) LOL...just kidding Mitch!

I started out with beds that were sort of organized, but when things reseed, volunteer, or I just plant something in a vacant spot, it's hard to keep track.

I have started early on some of my chores since the weather has been so nice. I've already cut down everything except one clump of grass, and trees of course. Now my beds are just flat and empty looking other than a few tiny little green specks. I was sure glad I could do it when it wasn't freezing.

Next I am going to do what I almost did last year, which is run soaker hoses thru the big back bed. After fiddling with several types, I finally just blew it off. It got so crowded that I couldn't get to the back and I wished I had used them. I'm going to use the flat ones that spray up and down rather than the round soaker hoses. Hopefully it will work!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I have thought about using soaker hoses but getting all the beds figured out is to much right now... Keep us up on the thread and let us know how they did.

You know the other teachers at school whould all claim I had a touch of OCD - I tend to keep all the school paperwork the same way. I just have to stay on top of everything or I go nuts trying to figure it out... oh well keeps me out of trouble - most fo the time!

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I would think that your "problem" is actually very useful being a teacher. I can imagine how much you have to keep up with and how easy it would be to get confused. If you can keep up the journaling your beds after a year then you deserve some sort of award! I might harass you but I truly am jealous. Wanna come organize my desk here?? ;)

I'm really not sure how this soaker hose thing will work, but it's got to be better than nothing. The back of my bed was staying too dry this year and with this year starting off with no rain it will be just as bad. I got lots of recommendations on the drip system but I don't have plants organized enough to have this type. My entire bed is on it's own, like Josephine's hill. Things just pop up!

btw Josephine, that ONE pink Primrose that I planted on the side of my house (my slope) is taking over!!! I surely don't want it anywhere else but it might actually be a useful groundcover on that side. I'm waiting to see if all the other seeds I threw out over there will grow!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I was glad to have some nice weather to do maintenance in the beds, too. I already have drip irrigation in the rose bed, and it's the bed that did the best last summer. So... I am determined to get irrigation going in the salvia bed and the river birch bed this spring, before things are grown up too much. There's no way I can keep those beds sufficiently hydrated by standing there with the hose - it sure didn't work this last year!

KK, The flat hose does sound like a good choice for some instances, I may just use that in the salvia bed. thanks for the idea!

Josephine, I noticed that you have started to document the wildflower slope in your diary. am so glad! As soon as it starts to bloom, you'll have to invite people for "tours" on the new Garden Tours forum http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/seemygarden/all/ . Start a thread inviting people to tour it on your diary, and post a link to that particular "tab" in your diary.

I hope more people will post "tours" of their native gardens in their diaries. It will be nice for people to see that natives make lovely gardens, and the diary allows for commentary about how the garden evolves, etc.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My, my Mitch, I didn't know you were that organized! Even after I retire, I don't think I will ever get to that point. I would like to keep track of where things are planted, and how they did in that area vs. another area of my yard, etc. But right now I think I am like Paige when it comes to planting. If I can't remember anything being there, it's a place to stick another plant, or scatter seed. (Mitch is shaking his head now, saying tsk, tsk) LOL!
I didn't do much last year since I wasn't on Dave's and was 'toting' garden hoses in the spring. Then I got some of the soakers you are speaking of Paige. The pink striped ones Lowe's has will hook end to end and worked better than the green striped hose's from HD. But then I got an early Christmas present in the fall, we got a sprinkler system. I just have to be careful where I dig new beds now. But I hope to have more butterflies this year, and more time to enjoy my gardens, and be a little organized.
edited: Too slow, this late at night. Hi Mary!

This message was edited Jan 11, 2006 12:15 AM

Hello Paige, I hope the Primroses will cover your slope, it would be so pretty in the Spring. You will have to show us your garden too.

Mary, thank you for noticing my diary, I took your advice and it works very well.
As you said, when I have more to show, I will be sure to post the link on the Garden Tours
forum, it will be neat to see each other's gardens.
Thank you for the advice.
Josephine.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Sheila, my garden is a surprise every Spring! I watch things come back and wonder "what IS that?"! As I was cutting down all the dead top growth recently I realized that once again I am going to have nothing recognizable for most of the plants until they've grown a bit, so I'll have to refer to old pics for identification. Thanks for the hose tip! I have one green striped one from Wal-Mart. The reason I didn't use them is because the starting end sprayed water everywhere, but I'm going to tape it and seal that. I will try the one from Lowe's instead. Lord knows I'm always there!

Dave has made it really easy here to keep track of things (diary etc) but Mary is a writer and Mitch and Josephine are so organized. I try to be organized, but last year that attempt had me documenting things in 3 different calendars. lol And as I write this I realize that I forgot to write down what day I watered this week, and that was one of the things I was going to do this year for sure. lol

I haven't seen this thread for tours. I will have to check it out this weekend.

Mary, I know this is the wrong forum, but I want to know if you tiled your birdbath! ?? I'm repainting my birdhouses outside so they will weather better, and was thinking how fun it would be if my lattice was purple! :)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, Paige, I keep looking at the tiles and thinking that now is the time to work on it! For some reason I am seized with this fear that I will completely ruin everything, and won't have even the bland birdbath when I'm done! Then, while I was in NM, I picked up some more tiles (cheap because they were broken.) I need you to hold my hand, or cheer me on... or start this thing for me, lol! maybe I'll try to get started Saturday. It's a long weekend for me.

A purple lattice, lol. I think it would be great!

Here's the Garden Tour forum: http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/seemygarden/all/

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh Mary, you can do it!! I want to do mine so bad! When I get my birdhouses finished I might attempt it. I have to find that thread tho and really read how to do it, and what kind of plate to buy. I have never done any mosaic type stuff except a little on a stepping stone. I'm sure we can get support from others!

China Spring, TX(Zone 8a)

Mitch, I'd drive you crazy. Just when you finished your "draft", I'd move everything around because I wanted to try another color combo. Everything I have gets new spots when it's time to divide. I renew the soil and try it somewhere else. I'd be spending way too much time at the puter if I drew it out. I do journal at least once a month, but I guess I spend so much time out there I seem to know where everything is anyway. I just married Thanksgiving and my DH just experienced the "chinese drill" this month. He asked "why are we moving everything?".. I said "get used to it" Nothing but trees have a guaranteed spot around here. Everything is apt to get moved. I even move my roses IF they aren't prolific trying to find them the "Perfect" amt. of sun/shade. Gardening is ever changing and I take that literally.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Quoting:
Nothing but trees have a guaranteed spot around here

So true here too. LOL! If I spent half the time I have spent moving stuff on planning my garden, I would have a superb yard by now!!!! But I do love change and each time has been an improvement, so Mooove on! LOL!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

That would drive me up a wall - everything must live in its little part of the garden and everything needs to stay where I asked it to - or have have a darn good reason!.... I have been known to move things - that is why I take a copy of my maps with me outside when I am digging and playing around so I can mark all my changes.

I do not keep a chart of where the plants are located, although I pretty much know where they all are.
I do move some things, or add things here and there, because let us face it, there is allways room for improvement.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.