Wewahitchka, FL(Zone 8b)

I planted seeds 2 different times, from 2 different sources and never got one to sprout.
I don't have any info.
Good luck.

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

They take a long time to flower. Not sure how many weeks but I know in my zone5 I'm lucky to get a couple of blooms before a killing frost. You will have a much better chance in your zones.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Poppysue
about the same here. It was in the late summer before it bloomed for me too. You have to plant the seeds on their ends, leaving the tip barely below the surface of the soil or they will rot.
Cala

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

"HARDINESS: Half-hardy Annual. A Victorian favorite, this annual flowering vine, also called Cathedral Bells, is grown for its unusual blooms that are cup-shaped. The flowers turn from a yellow-green to a deep rosy purple and look like a cup and saucer together. The foliage is dense and forms a privacy screen for the summer and early fall. Pollinated by bats in their native lands of Central America. These plants grow readily from seed and you may have a better germination rate if you lay the flat seeds on edge when sowing them. Soil must be warm. These plant are hardy to Zone 9 and will continue to bloom into the fall in warmer climates. If your flower production begins to decline, here are some possible reasons which can be corrected: poor drainage, underwatering, overfertilizing. "
home and garden encyclopedia.
I'll be trying these next year, it's on my never-ending list.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I grew some last year,over a very large driftwood.It took over,covered the whole thing.But it was late in summer that they bloomed .I had the purple and white mixed.Trying it this year but I started them late so I doubt I'll get any blooms this year.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I can't wait to see pictures of it in bloom. I've learned so many new plants from you guys!!!

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I sow some seedsin spring, I soaked them first for 24 hours, then I sowed them to a little pots... Now they are outside and growing.

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

I read somewhere that you can take cuttings of these to overwinter and get them started blooming much earlier. I'd given up on the from seed, since they ALWAYS got frostbitten just as they started to flower. Now I want to try some cuttings--anyone willing to share? I'd really love to have both the purple and the white, but purple the most. I'll try to go back and find where I read about the cuttings and make note of how to do them.

Woodbourne, NY(Zone 5a)

First, forgive my not writing my comment in Latin and referring to the plant as a cup-and-saucer vine.

I'm having the same experience. I received my two cup-and-saucer vines from a neighbor who started them from seed. Our summer has been very cool, and they are barely a foot tall. They seem to grow quickly when it is really hot and stop completely when the temperature drops back down to the 70s in the day and 50s at night (as it is now).

Since I've heard that they need very long seasons to bloom (if they hardly start blooming before frost in TN and AL, they don't have a chance here!), I'm planning to try to take them up and winter them inside in a container.

When I was working near one of the plants, I managed to snap the stalk a couple of inches from the ground. I was inconsolable, since I find them quite special. I propped it back up, stacking little lumber scraps around it, and it took off again, as if nothing had happened. This makes me think that it may tolerate the abuse inherent in being moved to a container.

Any thoughts on this?

Wewahitchka, FL(Zone 8b)

It seems I have the right climate for them, but can't get them started.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey Cazique,
I am in zone 6 and have some that I grew from seed. There are 2-4 of them growing in a three inch pot. I simply forgot about them and they are still in the pot. It is way too late for me to do anything with them here, but if you would like them I would be happy to mail them to you. They are only about four inches tall. To make the postage worthwhile, I can also throw in some other things if you would like. E me if you are interested. Since you are down in Florida, you should have plenty of time and warmth to see them grow and bloom.
Michele

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

If Cazigue doesn't take you up on this, let me know and I will!

Wewahitchka, FL(Zone 8b)

I really do want some, but I would share with you, Judith.

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

Cazique, I just e-mailed you and Badseed---let me know what you think.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images