Woodworkers unite!

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya fellow woodbutchers....lol.

Let's see how many of us there actually are here.

For those of you that don't know me I'm drdon, I have a small shop and do some woodworking and woodturning. I'm still a bit of a novice, but hope someday to be able to do some cool stuff.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Here's a couple of bowls I recently turned. The taller one is made from a single billet of Bubinga, an African hardwood, the darker, smaller one is from a single billet of the Mexican hardwood Cocobolo.

The Bubinga bowl

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Cocobolo

Thumbnail by drdon

I'm raising my hand!! I've always been into construction (barns, chicken coops, and such-like) and very recently I have started getting into building finer items. I even got a router last month.

Over the last month, I've read several books about fine woodworking and I'm close to getting my feet wet. My first project will be a hand-made dove-tailed carcass box.

On my want list is a jointer, planer and a table saw. A lathe would be fun but that's for later. :)

I hope to participate and learn a lot in this forum!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

My gosh Don, is there anything you can't do or make? I am a very versatile person also, although not great at anything special. I love to work with wood and also refinish wood projects. I've always wanted to learn to carve wood like balvine, but haven't had the time to learn, with all the other projects I have going.

The bowls are beautiful and I love the wood you used. Are these the projects you were trying to finish before Christmas?

Donna

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya SoCal,

great to see you!

Yes, these are a couple of projects that I was hurrying to finish prior to leaving town for the holidays. As far as if there is anything I can't do....well, I've thought about that at length and the answer is Yes. If I tell you all the things I can't do it would certainly ruin this lovely ego trip I've been on for decades...lol, so in order to maintain my rather fragile self-esteem I'll refrain from listing them here...lol.

Super to see you over here already. Isn't this whole evolution of DG amazing?

best to you always,
hope the Salvias are doing well,
don

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi ya Don,

Oh don't worry about having to tell me about the ones that don't do well, just keep trying to do the things you "enjoy". That's how I look at it. lol

Yes, this new area is going to be wonderful, I just have to remember to come over here to check them out once in a while.

Many of my salvias are doing well, although a few haven't made it. I can't remember which ones they are at the moment. The one salvia that is tall with yellow flowers has been blooming for 2 months now and it is about 2 ft. tall. It is growing straight up and not getting full yet, so when we had the big rain storm last week, I noticed the wind was bending it over. I ran outside in the rain and put a stake it it immediatley. Phew, saved another one.

I will dmail you soon about your package for our trade, ok?

Donna

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya SoCal,

No worries about such things. I've got more going on right now than I can handle...lol. As far as replacements for the ones I sent you I've still got all of them and will be rooting a bunch of them prior to the RU so I can replace the ones that were killed in packaging and transit then if that works for you.

As far as the yellow one, that's Salvia madrensis. It will be lanky until you get new spring growth. It gets pretty big and next year will probably top 6ft in your climate with the great gardens you have it could get even bigger.

always the best to you,
don

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

Love the cocobolo bowl. My first lathe project ever was a cocobolo bowl. Holy cow what a project. LOL Suffice to say it isn't as delicate as yours. Mine could kill a man. It has a knot that caught one of the tools and the bowl broke off the base plate and went rolling across the concrete floor. 6 screws broken off and not a dent in the bowl. lol Props to the D man. :)

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Hiya ecobioangie,

good to see you!

Yes indeed it's a very hard wood, but didn't you love the texture of it once you'd sanded it and the oils had a chance to emerge. Smooth like polished marble and about as hard...lol. Sharp tools, sharp tools, sharp tools. I can't even recall how many times I went back to the whet stone to hone dulled gouges. Have you ever turned snakewood?.....it's so hard that it takes a finish right from the tool. I couldn't believe it the first time I turned a piece with that would.

best,
don

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Don, beautiful turnings. Your skills are endless. The grain on the cocobolo is spectacular.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

All I know is by the time I was done I had nubs for tools. lol Or well, the shop at school did. LOL I've never been so grateful for a full face safety mask than when that thing started throwing tools. Nope, never tried snakewood. I don't have the luxury of a lathe any more. Those were the college days. :)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

How about a wannabe woodworker? I built a couple of birdhouses in Dec '04 out of some cedar fenceboards, and immediately dubbed myself a "woodworker", lol. I have downloaded plans for some simple garden benches and tables, I have a few tools, and now I need some encouragement.

So glad to see this forum!

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Go for it Maggiemoo, all the mistakes make good kindling so there's no way to fail.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

That's an excellent point! Too dry around here to light a fire right now, but maybe we will have had some rain by the time I get my first hundred mistakes behind me, lol.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, Don,
I want to brag here too along with you all.
This picture is a bowl made by my younger son a few years ago (he was in 8th grade) in a lathe class that he took. I thought it turned out pretty good for a kid.
Carol

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya daisyruffles,

It turned out good for anyone. Heck if I showed some of my first ones you'd laugh at how silly they looked. I'm self-teaching, so I make lots of mistakes. And so far I'm just learning how to hollow out vessels like pots and vases. I think he did a marvelous job, but then I'm partial to woodturners. This year I'm getting a new lathe so that I can grow into the machine. The lathe I have now is basically a little hobby lathe. It'll be neat to try out bigger projects.

This one was done from African Padauk and the lip is of Venezuelan Snakewood.

please give your son a good pat on the back from another woodturning novice.

best,
don

Thumbnail by drdon
Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Carol, really neat bowl, especially for one his age. Is he still into woodworking?

Don, beautiful sinuous vessel, the snakewood rim adds a lot to the flowing lines
of the grain. (Not meant in a negative way,but the profile reminds one of an elegant
cuspidor, though too gorgeous to use of course. lol) Surely not the work of a
'woodturning novice'.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

lol balvenie......it's okay amigo, you can call it a spitoon...lol

When I took it off the lathe, that's exactly what I thought as well...lol

I do like the way Padauk colors up, but I probably won't turn it again because, kind of like mahogany the grain requires filling.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hello all. drdon, you do it all. I love the bowls. I have always loved to work with wood. I even helped build our barn, board fences and built my own deck on the house. Not bad for an old grandmother. DH is sweet but isn't sure which end of the hammer to hit the nail with.

I have all of the toys that the big boys have, a lathe, routers, saws drills and I even know how to use most of them. LOL

I even quilted the pillows on the swing and built the purple pottingshed in the background. LOL My friends say I am NOT your average Grandmother. I guess that is a good thing. Look forward to getting to know everyone here.

Betty

Thumbnail by picabo
Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh my gosh, Betty, you're an inspiration! I'm trying not to have tool envy, as so many of you have all the tools that the big biys have, lol.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Wonderful work you all it is so gratifying when you take a piece of wood and turn it into something so beautiful. I only get to do some of the finish painting or staining but my hubby does scroll art and turning, he has let me practice on his scroll saw but I have found out it is not as easy as it looks..Here is one of the clocks he cut a few months ago..

Thumbnail by SnowBird56
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful scroll saw work on the clock. I have seen it done and it really takes a craftsman.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Whoa,

that scrollsaw work is very intricate and nice indeed.

picabo, you're another 'do it all'...lol, nicely done on the swing....huge props!

keep those projects coming, this is very exciting,
don

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks I love it but I really need to get a better picture now that he has added the pendulum to it and I have watched him and so many of the pieces he does are so detailed especially his portraits, he cut my son's military picture out and it was so amazing how he captured all the details of his face.

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

V, marvelous work. I've seen similar work at craft shows and am amazed at how intricate these pieces are. It hardly seems possible, and the length of time required to drill and reset blades for each little cut boggles my mind. Your DH sure has a great talent. Can we see more?

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Don, The swing support was built with the intention for it to be the end supports for the floor of a tree house for the g kids (OK, Grand Mom too). After the swing was built I decided that I don't want the treehouse attached to the deck, just in the big Maple tree beside the deck. Worked out OK, now if the horse comes on the deck I have No Worry if she sits in the swing it will hold her. LOL

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

There truly is a lot of time consumed in a single piece with some pieces needing 100 or more holes drilled as was the case in this portrait of my son. He has done a few of our family members and a lot of country music and race car drivers portraits. But if I see something I like I have gotten him to cut out some things for my garden as well and he just finished our greenhouse a month ago. But as you can tell I am very proud of him and I think he is very talented artist.
Here is the one of my son..I really need to get my other digital camera to take better pictures.

Thumbnail by SnowBird56
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I would be proud to, he is a great artist. That portrait is beautiful.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

This forum is so exciting and so glad to see it and I know I love seeing everyones work and Betty that is my next project I want him to build for me or maybe teach me to use all the tools but I love just doing the finish work myself..but on some pieces I am not even allowed to touch that part of it..
Here is one piece of Intarsia that he just finished for our newest grand baby's room.

Thumbnail by SnowBird56
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

The bear is so cute. What is Intarsia?

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Intarsia is like a mosaic and the design is cut out of different colored woods and then put back together, routing and sanding each piece. It's so hard to describe but it's really just like putting a puzzle back together after you have taken it apart.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Really pretty!!

Royston, GA(Zone 7b)

*Raises hand* Getting into it myself. I have created several wells, birdhouses, etc for friends and family. Husband just bought me a table saw, a router set, and several hand tools. *smiles* I hope to do enough of this to start my own buisness (side business of course).

DrDon: I LOVE the bowls. I want to be able to do that, but its going to be a while. I saw the plans on how to make bowls like that, but I just don't have the tools yet =D

Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

I have a great shop. My husband, who is a cabinet make gets a lot of teasing when he buys me a tool because no one quite believe him when he says it's for me. I do scroll work, have built some furniture, installed moldings, made frames, etc. Made this barn for my grandaughter for Christmas. It really helps that I have a teacher readily available.....

This message was edited Mar 13, 2006 8:44 AM

Thumbnail by bseddon
Pittsfield,, MA(Zone 5b)

Here's another picture of the barn. Nailed my finger with the nail gun at one point because I did things a little out of order...but a lesson learned. The barn is in 3 pieces for ease of moving. Also the roof on the 2 end pieces are hinged.

Thumbnail by bseddon
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Such marvelous work. Intarsia is fascinating to me and the work you are doing is very nice. Steve and I both work in wood, building decks, potting tables, trellis and those types of things. Nothing quite as exquisite as the bowls, they are striking. This is an example of some of the wood works of art that we sell locally.

Thumbnail by haighr
Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Everything looks so wonderful. THere is such a talented group here! I just have to participate vicariously though my DH. He is the woodworker in the family. Although I take full credit for getting him started.. after all..was it not I who first walked up and dumped a load of boards into his lap and said. "Make me a medicine chest"! ?
From there he went on to do several projects including making all the kitchen cabinets in our old house from ash wood.. just lovely. I really miss the pantry..sigh

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Making cabinets, whew we wouldn't know where to begin. Would love to see a pic jazz.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

hmm.. well I am friends with the people who bought our house.. maybe they would let me come over and take some photos. At the time I was finishing up my nursing degree and so I didn't take any pics.. shame on me!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images