Pampas Grass

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

What's the best time to cut back and divide the pampas grass from last year?
Jan...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey Budgielover,

This is my least favorite grass and I had never thought of dividing it. I cut them back in my area in Feb., so in yours, I would do it now.

Larry

Hi Larry,
What don't you like about it?
Jan...

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

I love 'em because when they bloom, they look like giant Q-tips to me. My Ohio mother calls them "That Q-tip plant." (Isn't she cute?)

I cut 'em back and divided in early spring, after last frost but before they fully go back into new growth mode. Usually, they bloom so late in the summer or fall, I'm afraid to cut them back right before it frosts again.

I think I'll wait till the end of February as we have been known to get an odd late freeze.
Jan...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I call them 70mph plants cause thats when they look best. If your are not careful, you can get very painfuls cuts, they get too large for small landscapes, have tendency to die back in center(probably dividing would help) and are very hard to prune back, I use gasoline powered hedge pruners. I like Maiden grasses better, same plumes, same appearence but smaller and none of negatives. Just my thoughts. Larry

Thanks, so far mine isn't giving me any problems and I probably will divide and share it.
Jan...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.