OK, foal watch, mare's 2nd night waxing......

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

In an effort not to continue to deter drdon's thread on the current state of madness with the weather, just an fyi that I'm delirious from staying up all night watching for the foal to come last night (didn't come) and am going to be completely insane by the end of this night of foal watch......I will bombard this thread with photos so beware! My first foal, and I'm looney tuney. So no one hold anything against me until after OK? :D I may very well be insane right now, yet I can't take a nap for excitement.

Watch her wax for weeks.....I'll lose it.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Just remember we're all hanging in there with you! (We may even be looney tuney, too, lol.)

YAY! It's a filly! Of course at 8:30, I figure I'll nap and set the alarm for 11. I wake at 11:30 and blinking trying to clear my eyes I see mom standing. OK, go potty, get some sprite.....go back to look and...do I see a little shadow? Holy cow, she's already done it! Isn't she cute?

Thumbnail by Jenks

Mom was great! She let me go in and squirt Betadine on the navel!

Thumbnail by Jenks

Then I rubbed her neck, head and ears. Dad was watching for any ear pinning.....NONE at all from mom! She is such a good mom too!

Here she is earlier eating! Excuse the mess!

This message was edited Jan 15, 2006 3:02 AM

Thumbnail by Jenks

Here she is after a roll in her blankey, down for a nap.

Thumbnail by Jenks
Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

What a little sweetie! You can probably get some sleep tonight now, except you're too excited! Do you have a name for her?

Nope! No name! It's a full moon, so I am thinking of a barn name Luna. And she may go grey as mom's grey, but she's heterozygous for grey as her sire was a chestnut, so she may not go grey.

But either way I like Luna, or some moon name. I don't know what her registered name will be. Dad is APHA Shoguns A Fire Bar out of HF Superchief and a 3rd level dressage Appendix mare with a jibbah like and arab! and Dam is AHA HV Gydnias Silverado (which I'm not too fond of but is of a halter(grandsire Can. National Reserve Champ halter, jumper and hunter), performance and endurance(sire) line of arabs Polish and Crabbett). She'll be registered half arab at least.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Congratulations! and a Filly too. I bet she will be grey like her Mom. We had two out of our Grey 1/2 Arab Mare and our Chestnut Arab Sire. Both babies were born chestnut and turned Rose grey at two.

The pictures are great especially the one in the blanket. Thanks for sharing.

Betty

The only thing I like more than grey is a chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail! Of course whatever color she is will turn out may favorite ;) I really love bays too....LOL you name it, I love it.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh Jenks, what a beautiful baby! You have an audience of 7 here, ooohing and aahing.

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow - how cool! My heartiest 'grats to momma and baby and Jenks too!

YES! I got my gelding (later of course) but I was wrong, it's a boy! Sorry, I was tired and it was dark! I thought I saw 2 holes (sorry to be blunt) but it's just one! Now what on earth to name him......

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I know! Start a contest...Name the foal and the winner gets to take him home. Yea! That would be fun! LOL

Lyndonville, NY

What about Moon Shadow? Or Luner instead of Luna? I don't know the proper spelling of that....but what an adorable baby! Gonna be well loved by everyone! Blue Moon is also another my daughter just came up with since Mom is a "grayish blue" she said.

Best of luck to you!
Debbie (who is a closet horse lover)

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Artemis or Diana: goddess of the moon. And many more:
http://www.20000-names.com/moon_names.htm

Lovely baby. Congratulations!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Congratulations! That was a short foal watch (miss) compared to some. Cute little guy, can't wait to see more pictures when he starts to run around and makes you hold your breath when it doesn't look like he could possibly miss getting in a wreck!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Sorry, double posted.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2006 12:31 PM

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

How cool! Congrats!

I like Artemis!

Thumbnail by Jenks
Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Congrats to the cutie...............how about """"Moon Blaze""""" since it was born under the full moon.
Janett

Thanks Janett!

His little head.

Thumbnail by Jenks

He was much friendlier before the vet came. Now mom is not wanting anyone to touch....we'll work on that though for a few days. She is not so trusting of me now as she was before vet....The practice I use had a new grad (8 mos in the practice) who had trouble with the vein.....UGH. Next time demand your old vet with experience do the blood draw....I understand they have to learn, but I was ready to hurt her after 15 minutes of trying to find a vein.....both sides of neck. Maybe never the same.....

Thumbnail by Jenks
Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Artemis Is a godESS (female) of hunting and animals and protector of young girls and of childbirth in the greek mythologi. The romans renamed her to Diana and added the prefix Moon Godess. But its a beautiful name

Didn't I say goddess? The Greeks did associate her w/ the moon, and with successful hunting/birthing when the moon was full. They sometimes called her "Phoebe" (Greek: bright one) for that reason.

Jenks, a little guy! Shiva?

Well, Artemis is still very masculine sounding....I can't help but think of the men's aftershave. I like Ptah too, and Anubis was my pick prior if it was going to be a boy. He's half arab so all the egyptian gods are what I was looking at, but Anubis is taken. OK, stud owner is studying the bloodlines again to see what she'd suggest, and Shoguns A Fire Bar is the sire, and I don't like my mare's registered name, Gydnias Silverado....but she has a ton of neat names in her pedigree..I'll go throught them tomorrow if y'all'd like to hear. Going to sleep real well-right now.

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Look what I get for being on the run all day!
Reminds me of my friends Arab who had a chestnut colt with white socks and a comma-shaped star just last year. She watched 24 hours a day and finally went to get some dinner, when she came back he was there!! She named him Tadpole, since the star looks like a tadpole. I LOVE that name, there's never been another that I know of.

THANK GOODNESS it went well and he looks very sturdy and healthy and straight legged!!

How about Orion?

I love his face markings and could see a Luna related name, just don't know what.

CONGRATULATIONS!! HOORAY!! Pass around the carrots!!

Orion's good... the only lover (maybe) Artemis had, right?

I wish you had a webcam on that foal.

I just got a digital camera for Christmas-I'll have to check it out to see if I can have it feed a live shot. I've taken 2 weeks off from work (I saved 2 weeks for each foal) and it would make it easier for me to return to work if I could check on them. Here's my husband's attempt at photography-if he would only listen to me about how to focus! Here's one that got zoomed in too close, but cute

Thumbnail by Jenks

Here's one where the mare is out of focus.....

Thumbnail by Jenks

I'll take some better ones today. Yesterday was a mass of visitors and trying to clean the stall inbetween. I put a bit too much shavings and it took at least a dozen wheelbarrow trips to get the wet /damp shavings out. My paint mare(not due until March) is unusually content to watch the mare and foal. None of her usual ear pinning and bossiness. It had me in tears last night to see her moved to kindness.

his head

Thumbnail by Jenks

I like Orion too...
this is how friendly he is, I'm glad, mom's headshy and stand offish. The vet ruined it for the rest of the day trying to take blood yesterday, but he's back to normal.

Thumbnail by Jenks

Thumbnail by Jenks
Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Im sitting here giggling at how stinkin CUTE he is!! Look at that little face!!

Mom looks pretty accepting of cameras and visitors.

I'm so glad you're not here where the temps went from 50 to below zero in a little over 12 hours! He looks quite happy outdoors there!

I'm so happy for you that he's healthy!!

Me too (glad he's healthy)! It's such a relief! I'm off to turn them out and clean the stalls! And take more pics too!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Lovin' the pictures, he is such a cutie!

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Zeppy, the comment wasn't tor you. It was to Jenks for liking to give the stallion a female name. If she wasn't aware that Artemis was female :0))
Janett

Anubis is also female (right?) and I was still going to name him Anubis....He's going to be gelded, so (LOL) I don't need to make him out to be a big stud or anything! LOL Something will hit me that will fit him perfect. Still getting to know him. He can move really well for a young one. The stud owner has been freaking out about that, but they don't normally turn theirs out in the first 24 hours like I did.....

Thumbnail by Jenks

:D

Thumbnail by Jenks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images