S Fl Galloping Gardeners 01/21/06

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Continuation of a group of S Fl gardeners that get together frequently to exchange plants, have fun, share information, tips, and explore the gardens and parks of S Fl. All are invited to participate.

Tomorrow we have another exciting get together at Everglades National Park. Stay tuned for pictures and tales of our excursion.

Val

I'll post some pictures of the TPIE that I attended yesterday. Some interesting things although like I mentioned before it was mainly geared to the trade.
Here is one of the many oriental style gardens that seem to be very trendy right now.

Thumbnail by jnana

Here is another more Zen like.

Thumbnail by jnana

This was quite unusual, it's a new cultivar of the trusted and overly used Liriope. This one is called "Cassidy". I think it's pretty neat.

Thumbnail by jnana

This one was a Moroccan influenced gazebo. I don't think this would work well here with our humidity and rains. I can see the fabrics getting ruined in no time.

Thumbnail by jnana

Today I went to the Ft. Lauderdale Orchid Show. Wow and double Wow, I thought I was in heaven. Such beauty everywhere. Here are a few selected pictures. This display got first place, notice the clouds above it. What a great idea!!!

Thumbnail by jnana

This one was really beautiful. I don't think the pictures I took really make it justice.

Thumbnail by jnana

Here is another display that was equally beautiful.

Thumbnail by jnana
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I love that curly liriope. I am coveting some of it, as a matter of fact. Just how much would my covetousness cost me per plant?

Nina

Nina, I have no idea. The plants were for sale only to the wholesale industry. I would really have loved that one too. I imagine that in the near future it will be available for retail. I'll be buying it when it is for sale.

Val

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Val: Your orchid pix are really great.....Joanne loved them....Thanx......Sheldon

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Val,

I went to the TPIE 2 years ago. At the end of the weekend, many of the companies that have plants in their booths will offer the entire booth for sale at a flat rate. This way they don't have to pay shipping to take them back home.

I bought a whole booth when I was there. Although many of the plants I got were quite common, there were a few unusuals. The rosemary that I still have was trimmed in the shape of a Christmas tree. I sold off a lot and some I traded for other plants.

There were a few vendors that were offering individual plants for sale, but you had to be there at the end of the show on the last day.

I wish I had been there.

Molly
:^))))

Have a great time in the Everglades.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Val: regarding vines...
You can alway grow them in pots with a mini trellis and keep wrapping them or keep them pruned back. I have been growing a snail vine in an 18 gal rubbermaid type storage container with drainage holes and a trellils. It looks great when it's in bloom. You just have to move it occasionally or put screening over the holes so the roots don't grow through the holes into the ground. You can grow morning glories in containers also. Check out the morning glory forum.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

HI Val. You sure do know how to shake an old "lurker" out of the shadows! The pictures of the oriental style gardens are just beautiful.

When I was planning my little shade garden last year, that was the look I dreamed of. Of course I was planting under shedding Oak trees, and my plants grew to be giants....and totally out of control, so it looked like an English style garden on steroids! LOL

I bought several beautiful books on Japanese gardens and continue to HOPE I can capture the feeling. I love how orderly and tranquil that type of garden always feels.

Can you tell I'm a "neat freak" Virgo? LOL
Pati

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Good morning everyone...

We had a great outing yesterday at the Everglades National Park. Four of us made the trip, which took a little under an hour from Val's. The weather was very good for a trip to the Everglades, where even during the winter, it can be hot and humid. We had none of that. Nice billowy clouds kept the heat down and a constant breeze kept the humidity at bay.

Here are pictures.
Of course when visiting the Everglades you expect to find aligators. So the first picture is of gaters at our first stop.

Thumbnail by artcons

I forgot, the group yesterday included Val and Mark, Sylvain and me.

This shot is one of four great finds we made during the trip. It's a Climbing Aster. In the picture there is a closeup inset of the flower. This closeup picture is not mine.

The shot shows the Climbing Aster as it was growing naturally in the Everglades and the close up inset.

Thumbnail by artcons

The Everglades, in case you didn't know and I didn't, rests on a bed of limestone. In the area of grasses you can't see it, but if you get in a shallow area of clear water you easily see the limestone bottom. Often we came across trees blown down by the various hurricanes over the last dozen or so years. In looking at the root systems of the overturned trees it's easy to see why they blew over. The roots were unable to penetrate the limestone so the roots were just a few inches deep.
This shot is of a small sink hole, one of many that can be found on many of the hammocks. As the hammocks dry out the water between cracks in the limestone evaporates and occasionally the limestone collapses creating a sink hole. Because there is a very deep limestone base the holes are not that deep. The sink holes resemble a hand made shallow well you might find almost anywhere in the country, except here in Florida.

This is not a great shot, but I found the idea of sinkholes throughout the woods of the hammock area fascinating and I wanted to share a sink hole picture with you.

Imagine this area during the hot steamy summers when there is lots of shade and these sink holes are filled with bromileads and other plants. In this shot there is just a palm tree growing out of the sinkhole.

Thumbnail by artcons

This shot is one of our other great finds in the Everglades. This is not a great shot. The plant is native Blue Eye Grass. Perhaps one of the others has a better picture and will display it here. By the way, Blue Eye Grass is a misnomer. It's neither grass (it's an Iris) nor does it have a Blue Eye (it has a yellow eye.)

Thumbnail by artcons

Break...I need to get ready to head out for breakfast with Domenic. When I return I will finish my postings and pictures.

Art

Back from breakfast. I caught rain several times coming back from breakfast.

On with the pictures, etc...

This is a mystery flower and another bad shot. The flower was hanging over like a brug so it was difficult to photograph. Several of the others have shots of it probably much better than mine. The flower is open on the top, which is shown in the picture on the bottom. It's almost like a vase up side down. It was very unusual looking, take my word for it, which is what you have to do since you can't see it.

Thumbnail by artcons

We saw bromileads of every size, leaf shape and color everywhere we went. Here are some pictures that came out pretty good.

Thumbnail by artcons

More bromeliad's. In this shot notice the small red one's just above the large one's in the lower center of the picture. They are on the left side of the tree.

Thumbnail by artcons

Here is a better shot of a group of the red one's.

Thumbnail by artcons

Hi everyone, Jan thanks for the tip. I'm planning something similar to what you've suggested. This way I can grow my vines without chewing too much real estate. I have 8 of them in pots right now. I saved a few stumps and pieces of cut up trees for that reason. I'll put them in my beds sort of like shelves where I can stack them up vertically. This explanation isn't too clear LOL. Anyways, when I'm done I'll take pictures.

Pati, I love oriental style gardens. I would love to have a big place where I could do that, but in the meantime like you I just dream. In the 70's there was a little Japanese garden around the Mac Arthur Causeway in Miami that I used to frequent often. I worked around there then and I would go there for lunch. It was very simple, but quite peaceful and beautiful. I don't know what happened to it. It probably was bulldozed to make way to all the buildings that are there now.

We had a great time yesterday. It was a beautiful day with a nice breeze and we got to explore quite a few trails. We didn't see as many birds as I was hoping for. Maybe the hurricanes have disturbed their habits, who knows... We got to see plenty of alligators instead and a (I think it was) a black racer snake just as we were entering the Visitor's Center. It ran across the path right in front of us.

While we were at the Mahogony Trail, we smelled smoke. We couldn't figure out what it was and as we walked the smell kept getting stronger and stronger. Thanks to Sylvain (our hero for the day) for spotting the fire. It could have been a really nasty thing if he hadn't seen it because it seem that some MORON put out a cigarrette or something like that on a stump. The dry stump was already smoking and with the breeze it could have been spread throughout the Everglades. Art took out his bottle of Gatorade and quickly put the fire out. So a big thank you to both our heroes for saving the Everglades from what it could have been a nasty fire!!!!!! That in itself was an adventure.

We found a few interesting wildflowers, some that I have yet to identify. We saw plenty of Tillandsias all over. A few were blooming. Art and I were thrilled to have found the Climbing Aster. It's hard to find.

My DH took a lot of pictures of birds and one of his great finds was a shot of some nests of Anhingas. Last night he was all excited to show me a shot of the nest. When he zoomed the picture, we could clearly see 3 baby Anhingas with one of the parents. I'll see if I can post that one.

Edited for spelling.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2006 11:54 AM

Thumbnail by jnana

Last shot of mine, and of course it's the traditional group shot. This one is the first picture taken with my camera using the self timer. The shot was made possible thanks to Sylvain's mini tripod. He noted he paid 2 bucks for the mini tripod at big lots.

If you don't know who we are by now, i will refresh your memory. Left to right Sylvain, Art, Mark & Val, ever notice Val is always on the right end of our pictures...Hmmm! I wonder why.

You know, we post our "adventures" as we take them, and we take them at least monthly. For those of you that visit with us and those lurkers that chose to remain silent, it's almost like viewing your own copy of National Geographic, South Florida Style.

Thanks for looking in. I look forward to seeing the other pictures the rest of the group took.

Art

Hi Val, you posted just as I went to preview mode.

Thumbnail by artcons

Art, what do you mean? LOL. I think I have pictures were I'm on the left side. Here is one that Mark took.

Thumbnail by jnana

More pictures. I have to credit my husband for most of these. He has a way better camera than mine and he's also a much better photographer than I am. This alligator looks so content and placid than one is tempted to go pet it.

Thumbnail by jnana

This is a Wood Stork. They are rare and endangered, so what a treat to get to see them.

Thumbnail by jnana

This is a beautiful shot he took of a Great Egret. This one will go up on my wall one day.

Thumbnail by jnana

This is a Little Blue Heron.

Thumbnail by jnana

A Tillandsia bloom.

Thumbnail by jnana

A nice shot of the Pinelands Trail.

Thumbnail by jnana

The river of grass.

Thumbnail by jnana

A closeup shot of the Climbing Aster.

Thumbnail by jnana

Ok, I'll take a break. Nancy and Cass we really missed you. I wish you could have been there with us. Well, there is always a next time. Cass, I hope you are feeling better.
When the guys started talking guy stuff, I felt outnumbered LOL

I'll post more pictures later.

Val
Oops I forgot to include this. This is some sort of thistle.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2006 12:33 PM

Thumbnail by jnana

Val, I meant in the pictures I take you always seem to be on the right.

Mark's pictures look really good. He did a very nice job.

Lakeland, FL

Help! Can anyone tell me the proper name of this Lily? I was told it is a queen lily-- but-- not in botany section as that. Thanks, Corky

Thumbnail by corky59
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi, everyone.

We had a wonderful time in the Everglades yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. What a great group we have. I wish more people could have come with us.

As Art mentionned, we were greeted by what appeared to a black racer when we arrived at the Visitor's centre. On our first stop, we saw fish, turtles, birds, unbelievable vegetation and alligators.

Now, you all must understand I'm from the Great White North and we don't have aligators in our environment. The first aligator we saw was right next to the trail's entrance, at the bottom of a wall. I thought to myself: "How touristy, they installed a plastic aligator for the visitors".

Then, the darn thing blinked at me. I blinked back, not wishing to offend it. Here it is. I'll never forget that aligator. Here's its picture. At the end of the trail, I had gotten used to their presence. Nonetheless, I was happy that they were down at water level and I was on the elevated walkway.

Sylvain.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2006 4:02 PM

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

hey guys it really looks like i missed out. i pretty much slept all weekend. i feel alittle better thanks too homemade chicken soup.
great pictures of all the wild life.

corky i think your lily is called a crinum lily. i love them. they have a wonderful sent. but you have to watch out for grasshoppers in the spring. they can devour your plant in a day.

i recently sent some rangoon creeper to pudgymudpies and she sent me some corkscrew vine and clitora seeds. i am going to put them in arts handy little terrarium. wish me luck.
there are quite a few so hopefully i will have quite a few to share this summer. val is the corkscrew vine the same as the snail vine you were talking about?

i don't think i showed you mine new thatch palms they are three in the container. the picture doesn't reall do it justice though.

sorry i missed everyone.
cass

Thumbnail by candela

Hi Cass, glad to hear you are improving. I think I may be catching a cold. My chest hurts, I ache all over and I have a cough. Tomorrow I'll just vegetate all day.

It seems that the snail vine and corkscrew vine are the same (Vigna caracalla). Art gave me a cutting and so far so good.

Those thatch palms look nice. Were did you get them?

Depending on how I feel tomorrow, I'll post a few more pictures of wildflowers we found along the way.

I'm going to bed now.

Val

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.