Jackpot!

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm just outside of Tampa, and I found a riding stable that has tons of manure - the owner told me to let all my friends know. She's in Tampa, and she's trying to get rid of it. The stuff on the bottom of the pile seems well composted. The stable is in Tampa. D-mail me if you want to get some.

Steve

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I wish I was closer to Tampa! I wonder if the post office would object to shipping manure??!! LOL And if I could buy insurance on the valuable shipment and refer to it as "brown gold"??

Jeremy

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Jeremy.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

I think this thread would be much more effective if you'd named it, "Free Poo!" and let our imaginations run wild with what that could mean. (Is someone holding Winnie hostage?)

LOL

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I learned something today about "Hot Beds" and Darius tells me this has been discussed somewhere here in the garden.

We have been discussing getting horse manure for amending the soil and have determined not to use fresh manure as it is too "hot".

A lady today suggested making a "hot bed" for lack of having a greenhouse. She said to get green manure and layer it out on the ground. Top it with potting soil and spread the seeds you want to grow for spring. Place plastic over it at night and if sunny, remove the plastic during the day, if cloudy, leave the plastic on. She said the seeds will sprout and grow and be ready for spring planting.

Or, you can build a pump house, wire it for power and put in grow lights until you get around to building a green house.

Molly
:^)))

Molly,

If you find a pile of manure that has ben there for a while, like I did, the stuff on the bottom is well composted. Had to dig for it, but it was worth it.

Steve

pensacola, FL(Zone 8a)

when i needed some and didnt know of a source,i went on freecycle and put in a request. i got so many offers...i settled on well aged goat manure.
good as gold.

carol

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

carol.

The source for horse poo is always the same.....LOL

Hi Steve,

I just got a deal with a freecycler for some horse and rabbit poo. I bring the bins and a shovel and take all I want. doing that on Tuesday.

The sand hills out here need all the amending I can get.

Molly

Molly,

Good deal!!! Everybody seems to get a response from freecycle - I put an ad up there, and haven't had one bite.

What's your trading status lately? Have any tropicals up for grabs? I have some Giant Upright EEs I need to trade. I'm trying to find some colorful gingers, but I'm open to others.

I'm hoping the roundup in March (the one being organized by Corky) will let me trade for some of the plants I want. Things seem to be kind of dead on the board here.

Steve

Steve,

At the moment all I have done is take, take, take from freecycle. I need to change that status as soon as I find something around here I need to get rid of.

Giant EE's, hmmmmmm. I could probably use some of those in some of my forest area here. I was in LaBelle last week and found a home grower selling plants. I got a pot full of Blue Gingers that I could divide a little by the time of the roundup.

Later today we should see a new thread so we can start our trade lists going.

Molly

Molly,

Is that the name of the plant - blue ginger? I want to look it up.

Steve

Yup Steve,

And to make it easy, go lookie here: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1238/index.html

Molly

It's beautiful, Molly. Trade with me? Please please please please please???

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh that is breathtaking!!

I think I gotcha Steve...LOL

I just talked to Corky on the phone and she will be posting the roundup thread this afternoon. I will start a trade list now and put you on it for a division of the blue ginger.

When she gets her thread up, feel free to go over there to post what you have to trade and you can put a wish list there too. That way people can check their gardens for your wishes.

Have you been to a roundup before? It's always great to meet people you have been "talking" to but never seen and to see those again that you have met.

Molly

No, never been. I'll be looking forward to meeting people that I've talked to and traded with.

If you want, I'll reserve a Giant Upright EE for you, in return for some of that Blue Ginger. I also have a nice looking Barbara Karst Bougainvillea, growing in a 5 gallon pot. I'll make a list of everything elase I can trade.

Steve

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.