Wiry Grey Hair???????????

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

No telling how grey my hair really is underneath the color! LOL I've noticed that the grey hairs have so much more body than the rest. My hair has always been very fine and hard to deal with but now that much of it is grey it's a lot easier to manage. It all seems to have more body. Anybody else find this true?????

Lin

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

For those who do color their hair do you do it yourself and if so what brand of product do you like best. Or do you have it done at the salon?

I have mine done at the salon but don't have to have it done very often. I few streaks of grey doesn't bother me too much but I just can't see myself totally grey. Bah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lin

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I have mine done at my salon. I keep a body perm too and I'm afraid my hair would turn to mush if I used an over the counter product on it.

My gray just needs highlighting about 3 times a year...I'm a dark blond and the lighter highlights make me look more awake.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I used to keep a body perm too when my hair was longer and cut in layers. I wear it short now and my hair seems to have more body all the time. I used an over the counter color one time many yrs. ago and that turned out to be a disaster on my hair.

I bet your hair is very pretty with the highlights. I am a brunette.

Lin

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Leave it to the women to turn gardening into something having to do with HAIR !!!!!!! lol
If I didn't know better, I'd have thought my sisters had started this thread...

"Hi...how are you?"
"Oh...I'm ok..."
"How's your hair?"

Why is everything and it's outcome based on the daily status of womens HAIR???????

"Oh no...my Delphiniums aren't good this year. I KNOW it's because I used a differeent conditioner the day I planted them. I didn't leave the hot rollers in long enough and my hair went all straight. I should have gotten that new curling iron...my perennials always do better when I blow dry just slightly, do a humidity test, watch "Days" and THEN plant my Dahlias...THEN i have just enought time to hot roll, spritz, crunch, smooth, spray, back comb, add time release mousse, ............................................................................"

SHEESH !!!!!! lol

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

this is one of my favorites:

"Honey...come in the house .....HURRY"
"Why...whats going on?"
"There's no electricity in the bathroom...."
"Well...what did you do?"
"NOTHING!!! I was just drying my hair....hurry up and fix it..."
"Alright...hang on a second...I'm fixing the mower..."
"NO...come NOW....HURRY"
"OK OK OK...maaaaaannnnn...."
"HURRY...MY HAIR IS FRIZZING"

later...

"I've told you a million times, you CAN"T run the microwave, washer, dryer, coffee maker, TV, hot curlers, contact lens cooker, the iron, AND that 5000 watt blow dryer ALL at the same time!!!!!!!!!"

"Well why not? GAWD !!! You don't have to get so MAD"

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I can hear the wife now ... "Honey why aren't you fixing the mower?"

I'll get to it in just a minute dear.

That's what you said two weeks ago. The grass is two feet tall and I can't find little Jimmy in that mess.

OK dear ... I'm just about finished.

Finished with what? What are you doing that is more important than fixing the mower, and cutting the grass so we can find little Jimmy?

I'm busy in the Home Talk forums Beauty and Fashion tips section on DG talking to the ladies about hair.

Well why don't you check out the Garden Talk forums and learn how to fix the stupid mower the right way?

OK OK! You don't have to get so mad!

ROFL!!!!!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

"OK Ok I mowed the lawn.
We don't HAVE a kid named Jimmy....(DO we?)
By the way, your sister came over when you were out shopping...she borrowed your hair dryer..."

"...AND YOU JUST LET HER TAKE IT?"

"...uh...yeah...what's the big deal?"

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU JUST LET HER TAKE IT. SHE TOOK MY BEST ONE...NOW I'LL NEVER SEE IT AGAIN."

"...there's a whole drawer full of hair dryers in there...get over it. How MANY do you need anyway?..."

"YOU LET HER TAKE THE ONE WITH THE 15 SETTINGS, THE AUTOMATIC MIST INFUSER, FLAT IRON ATTACHMENT AND BACK UP EMERGENCY GENERATOR..."

"so..."

"...SO?... SO? ...HELLO...THIS IS W-I-N-T-E-R-.......I NEEEEEEEEED THAT ONE...
OK......FINE.....NEXT TIME YOUR BROTHER COMES OVER I'LL JUST LET HIM TAKE YOUR DEWALT MAKITA CRAFTSMAN 350 HORSEPOWER ROUTER SELFGLIDED TIMING BELT VARIABLE SPEED RADIAL ARM ROBOGRIP KEYLESS OTTOGRIP DREMMEL PRECISION DIAMOND TIP NORM DEVILLA ABRAMS....THINGY."

"....whatever...wanna go see a movie, get a bite to eat?"

"SURE...LET'S GO....I LOVE YOU HONEY.......FIRST I GOTTA DO MY HAIR..."

(suggested reading for all: Men are from Mars...Women are from Venus. )

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

My "gray" is just as fine as the rest of my hair. I do find though, that for a few weeks after I color it, it has more body. A really good shampoo is needed for my hair also. I can't use anything that weighs it down.

I color my own. Husband does the back for me. I use L'Oreal Feria. I notice no difference from having it done in the salon and me doing it....except the price. $10 for a box of L'Oreal, or $100 at the salon? L'Oreal wins out every time. I need to redo mine every 3-4 weeks. Since I only do my roots, I can split the bottle in half and get 2 uses. I keep an extra applicator for mixing. Mine is light brown and about chest length.

I can't have a perm and color also, way too hard on my hair. I have naturally curly hair anyway, so a perm was just to get the curl at the root. I also don't blow it dry, I use no products in it....and for the 2 joksters above...I don't watch 'Days'.......

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

ROFLMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In a woman's world everything is about HAIR Jasper Dale. LOL Doesn't matter that this is a gardening forum. LOL

Oh and by the way when I'm working in my garden I wear a CAP!!! ;)

Lin

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Lin don't tell him you wear not only a cap but two flower pots and a 24x fig leaf in keeping with garden theme fashion. (In fact don't encourage him at all cause he can't even remember his own kid little Jimmy that is still lost in the grass somewhere! rofl)

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

ROFLMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor little Jimmy!!! I guess he's still lost somewhere out there in the tall grass.

Yes we ladies do love to stay in the garden theme fashion! And I bet the woman of the most famous garden of all had a way of keeping her hair looking nice. ;) You'll notice a lot of hair products even have 'nature' names. Strawberry shampoo, Herbal scents, etc. etc.
Even yesterday my darling 3 yr. old granddaughter said, "Smell my hair MeMa!!!!! It smells like strawberries! LOL

Lin

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i have very fine, thin hair, always a mousy blonde/brown. now that i have a lot of gray, i love it! more body, more shine, it's even perked up the color of the ones that aren't gray. btw, jasper, this isn't a gardening forum, it's a beauty forum, and yes, hair IS that important! LOL edited for spelling error.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2006 9:25 AM

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

OK Ladies..it is now time for me to eat my words. Having just started to get gray hair in the past 5 or 6 months I now understand the hair obsession...well, sort of...
You are all right. My gray hairs are like barbed wire and poke through the normal ones at all kinds of weird angles and it looks strange and I hate it. It is now starting to happen with my face hair as well.
As much as I hate to admit it, I have to start using "product".
I should have known this would come back to haunt me...what is it they say..."Revenge is sweet" ????????????
I'm never going to live this down....

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

oh yeah, you will, in 10 or 15 years! LOL

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Jasper ... ROFL! Couldn't happen to nicer guy! To bad yours will probably fall out before you get very many! I guess you could paint your head a garden color? Bless your heart! Silly boy. :)

Mesilla Park, NM

I need help here, my hair is 30 % gray, and I really like it, love that silver... but....

my hair is also naturally half curly and some parts straight, so it looks like a really bad perm. So about a month ago, out came the scissors and now my hair is about 2 inches long all the way around from a long braid down the middle of my back. Can't believe I did that and to top it off it is a bad haircut. I know that I really need a professional cut, but there is not much left yet to fix it up.

Question: How the heck can I make my hair grow (as fast as possible). Any suggestions.. also the white hair is wiry too.

Yes guys.. HAIR is very important, especially when you see your shadow in the garden..lol and when the wind blows

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i have really, really short hair. a good stylist can fix what's left of yours and you can go from there. who knows, you might like it short! i think silver hair looks better short anyway. nothing like long, gray hair to age you. good luck and find a good stylist to help you. check out some work they've done and it's always a good idea to bring in some pictures of what you want your own to look like.

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh boy, I would love to find a good stylist here in Moreno Valley.. usually I have to be bound, tied and dragged to a salon. After so many bad expierences with bad stylists, now I am so leary.

Thank you for the advice and encouragement, so far, my hats rarely come off.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Before my husband's hair became gray, actually white, it was curly and like wire but once his natural dark blond hair changed it became as fine as can be. This seems to be just the opposite from some of your hair..Strange about the difference,
My hair was always very naturally blond, I have never used any color, now it is silver but extremely fine, Due to terrible stress I have already lost at least half of it, I don't think there is anything I can do about it, Now I could never wear it short, i would definately look bald, lol, so I keep it long but wear it in a twist, just wish I would stop losing it, if that keeps up I shall have to wear a whig.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Marie there are products on the market that are supposed to help your hair to grow. Can't remember the name of the one I used many years ago but a good hair stylist could tell you. The product I used was not a quick fix but it seemed to help over time. At the time my hair was long and in layers and it was my hair on top that seemed so thin and sparse.

Lin

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Boy am I in a fix right now. My hair stylist that I have used for about 20 yrs. had closed her salon. sigh She is a writer and is now devoting all her time to her book writing. I am thrilled for her because this has been her lifelong dream. Her first book came on the market in December I think.
Anyway I am now looking for another hair stylist. I went to one shop this week and got my hair cut and I haven't really decided if I like it or not. My hair is real short and in one of those 'flippy' dos. I think I'll know more whether I like the cut or not when I wash my hair and do it myself. I've always done my own hair and only gone to the shop for cuts and color. I used to have my hair permed but not any more. The older I get the curlier my hair is. Yippeeeee!! It used to be straight as a stick.

Lin

North Adams, MI(Zone 5b)

Finding a (good)new hairstylist is like trying to find a (good)new doctor, or dentist and they are a dime a dozen, just because they have a license doesn't mean they are any good! Ask around see who your friends and co-workers use. If you see somebody on the street and you like their hair ask them where they get it done, you'll make them feel good and you might just get a new stylist. Make sure they give you a good consultation before they even shampoo your hair, if your not comfortable at all don't let them cut it maybe just have them style it or just leave. Remember if you spend nothing on a haircut you get a nothing haircut, I am not saying you have to spend $100 on a haircut but 9 times out of 10 you will get a better haircut at a regular salon then one of the chains.

Lin,
Maybe you can call your hairstylist and ask her for a couple recommendations of other good stylist in your area?

Have a great day,
Mindy

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Mindy I finally got to talk to my ex-hair stylist and she gave me the name of the color she used on my hair and also recommended two hair stylists in my town that have a lot of experience. I will go to one of them from now on. I'm so disappointed in my recent hair cut that I will probably make an appt. in a week or two with this new lady and get her to re-cut my hair. That will give me a chance to get to know her and talk with her about the hair style I like.

Mindy I found out a long time ago the chain shops were not for me. :(

Lin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.