Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

Tooth Whitener

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

What is the best tooth whitener that you've found???? And which ones are easier to use? My teeth have never been real white. I've used a whitener that I got over the counter at Wal Mart. It's pretty good but sure doesn't last long. Of course I'm a coffee and tea drinker so that doesn't help.

Lin

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

Opalescence 15% gel solution. You have to use it with custom fitted trays from your dentist for it to be successful, leave them in for about an hour. I have never found those over the counter products to work very well. I think they are too diluted and they just don't follow the actual contour of your teeth so it's hard to get good coverage. Just don't use too high a percentage for too long or your teeth will become very sensitive. You probably know this, but over time too much bleaching makes your teeth more porous and more susceptible to staining.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Really! No I didn't know that bleaching over time would make your teeth more porous and easier to stain. Thanks for that tip! My teeth are already porous enough. I agree that over the counter products don't work very well and sure don't last very long.

Lin

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I bought the WalMart brand of whitener - the strips that lay over your teeth for 20 minutes. They are all about the same - if you use them once a day for a week, your teeth look very nice. The results are not permanent, & your teeth will indeed absorb stains more readily. My teeth are opaque, so this method works well for me - but I wish I had something more permanent - within my budget! Pains to be beautiful - so they say:)
Julie

Mesilla Park, NM

The crest whitestrips work really well. There is some sensitivity with their use, but instead of using twice a day, you can use them once a day and use sensodine toothpaste. After you get them the color you want, you just need to use them twice a week if that for maintenance.

Costco sometimes has the 30day supply kits (2 for the price of one) or they have coupons .. that is the time to get them. If you store them too long, they do dry out some.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I use the Crest Whitestrips and they seem to work. I have been using the latest, more expensive ones. I think it says in 7 days instead of 14.

Whitener strips usually can't get inbetween your teeth very well tho. I read in a magazing to dip dental floss in hydrogen peroxide and floss with it to get those spaces. I think you are supposed to do it for a week or so but not too long because it does make your gums sensitive. It sure makes my teeth feel clean afterwards.

Rapid City, SD(Zone 7b)

I'm going to get the expensive ones. Thanks for the tips.

Rapid City, SD

Rapid City, SD

Rapid City, SD

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Like you galega, I don't think the over the counters nessesarily work. I asked my orthodontist about caps and he cringed! He suggested bleaching (I guess so I wouldn't have to get a new retainer made....I still wear one a couple times a week almost 10 years later...can teeth go crooked again....hmmm...maybe for another post?).

But you've said bleaching is no good so I guess I'm at a loss.....

This message was edited Feb 27, 2006 4:58 AM

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Is the in office bleaching better than the home kits? I have heard good thingd about the method that has a special light that activates the bleaching compound. I know the home kits are not great & do not last a long time, but I assumed the dentist treatments were a LOT better. Is this wrong?

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

They had better be A LOT better because they are A LOT more expensive. I'm lucky enough that my ins. actually covers (discounts) bleaching but it's still $250 on my part, thus I use the Creststrips. I guess it might depend on your teeth, but these work on mine. I have a friend who used to get bleach and trays from his dentist to do at home and they worked great. I don't know how much they cost, but am sure they were more than the store stuff.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Your insurance sounds very good! I used to have the trays & gels, but it was a few years ago. The gel was strong, & it hurt my teeth after I used it.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

My sister used to use some that you can order online that worked with trays and gel. It worked good but she finally had to stop using it because it made her teeth hurt too.

It's funny how everyone is obsessed with straight, white teeth now. Braces used to be something that you got IF your parents could afford it. Now braces are something you get even if you have to get a 2nd mortgage. It's defintely more pleasing for everyone, the person with the nice teeth and the people looking at them, but sad in a way that we've become so vain. I can probably only say that because I have fairly straight teeth. lol We are working on paying for my husband's lack of inheriting good teeth.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

But the people on TV are just TOO white... they are mostly bonded. When was the last time you saw anyone with bright white teeth? There was a newsanchor woman on the other night, & I swear her teeth were GLOWING. It really looked ridiculous, & totally unnatural!

Mesilla Park, NM

My teeth are straight also, but there is nothing wrong with wanting them white. Some places did not have chlorine/flouride in the water which did not help anyone. If you want white teeth and it makes you feel better, you should do it. It is not just being vain, it gives you confidence and just plain makes you want to smile more. When you smile more, everyone smiles with you. It is not always about looks.

I found out in the past three years of using Crest whitestrips that my teeth have not gotten more porous, but, I do have to maintain once in awhile a couple of months inbetween, but they whiten right up. And you use less strips.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

There are times when it becomes almost abnormally white. My friend with the dental quality trays has glowing white teeth! A few years ago when my sister was using the trays we went to a club that had blacklights (to see the glowing white teeth friend play..lol) and her teeth looked like a vampire! LOL!!

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting our teeth white. That should be something you strive for anyways, like having no cavities. It's just that teeth have become such an obsession in the last few years. The obsession over it makes those who don't have perfect teeth feel even worse and less willing to smile.

I have seen some people on tv shows (I guess those makeover ones) and their teeth are so bad. It makes such a huge difference when they get them fixed. If they had been fixed early on in life they wouldn't have gotten to that stage. I guess without insurance, and sometimes even with it, that's one of the expenses that not many people can afford. It's more the luxury item and you just live with yourself otherwise.

My older son is in his 2nd set of braces and has a future of major dental surgery to split his palet and move his upper jaw out. We could just ignore it all and let him go thru life with a very narrow mouth and crooked teeth, as his dad did, but his dad and I now feel like it's what needs to be done for him and his future. Times change and how much we put into our appearance increases.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

They begin working on the children's teeth at a very young age now. My niece has been seeing the orthodontist every year since she was 2! They can sometimes avoid the bigger procedures later, but doing some fine tuning when their teeth are just coming in. It has become part of their dental care. My older niece chose black & white zebra stripes for her retainer, & red & blue for her braces. No longer do they have those big metal braces - they have ones that are invisible now! Also the protective coating they put on children's molars - I wish we had all this stuff when we were young.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

My 19 yr old has been going since he was about 7 to the orthodontist. We tried an appliance to spread his mouth and she also put a set of braces on him, but once he really started growing it just reversed what it had done. Then it made sense, now I'm wondering. Oh well... he has braces but not clear ones. I thought we would get those but his step-brother had just got some silver ones so he went with that too. They do get funny colored bands!

My 6 yr old just started going to the dentist last year, and that is late compared to some classmates! He doesn't have any problems tho. The last visit they put the protective coating on their molars. I had no idea they did this. If we did it on my older one I forgot, but knew they didn't do it when I was young.

But think of all the things WE had when we were young that our parents didn't have! :)

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Does anyone remember those disgusting purple tablets that they gave to the kids in school to chew? They supposedly stained the teeth where there was plaque buildup. I can still remember the taste fo them - it was gross! And that horrible pick gel flouride treatments that you would sit with the suction tube in your mouth - for about an hour! It burned & tasted awful too! They have come a long way in tooth care for certain!
Checking into the site you provided...

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

That's funny that you mention those tablets because they just sent some home with my 1st grader this week. I hadn't seen them in years. I don't remember using them tho so I don't remember a taste. Surely they've improved it, or at least I hope so. I won't tell him you said it was gross! lol

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I can't believe that they still use that horrid stuff! I just remember that we all had stained teeth that day in school - we thought it was funny. I don't think we got the message that it was meant to convey...
How I wish they had that molar protecting treatment when I was young!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.