Chapped hands?

Waaaay Down South, GA

Hi y'all
My hands are very chapped and red. I would like to know what kind of lotions you have found to be useful that can be purchased at home without ordering over the internet. I need something that won't make my hands feel greasy. I've tried the "standard" ones. Any suggestions?
... Elaine

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi Elaine, if your hands are also cracked I recommend Zim's Crack Creme. It comes in a tube and a plastic bottle. The stuff in the bottle is like a thin transparent lotion. It heals the crack in about 2 days. I especially use it at night. I don't think the cream in the tube works as well. I buy it at Walmart.

I've recently started using Gold Bond Ultimate Healing lotion in a pump bottle. It is very thick and feels good but might be a little greasy for you.

My favorite is mixing sugar and olive oil in a jar. I use a teaspoon full and rub it on my hands. I think it feels really good. Then rinse your hands and leave the film of oil on your hands. Yes, this is greasy, but it really feels good. I keep the jar in the shower and use it on my elbows and knees.

I hope some of this will help. Loretta

West Warwick, RI(Zone 6b)

Hi Elaine!
Long time no talk!
I have some good ideas for you. I have kids, cook, clean my house and I have my own house keeping business. I mess up my hands pretty bad, and although I try to wear gloves...well lets just say that only happens when I'm cleaning someone elses tiolet and tub. With that said, and the fact that its winter, my hands can get so dry they crack, and look so ladylike. HA!

I find that udder cream, found at the drugstore works if your not cracking yet.
Bag Balm works if you are cracking but smells kinda funny and is greasy so I use that at night.
My Favorite: Burt's Bees beeswax and banana hand cream found it at Walgreens coast maybe four bucks smells good enough to eat and works great! It is my newest in the arsonal to keep my hands from looking like I stuck them in a meat grinder. I also like Burt's bees lip balms, and sheer lip tints, they have one called rhubarb! How cool is that?!
Hope this helps.
I hope you find relief!
Dena

Waaaay Down South, GA

Thank you all so very much for these tips. I've never had this problem before but it's very severe. Will get started tomorrow with these wonderful suggestions. Hmm, I've heard my Mother talk about the udder cream all the time but never thought about it for my hands. I think she uses it on her feet. :) Thanks again for these suggestions.
... Elaine

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Dena, that Burt's Bees is so nice. I bought a couple of their kits. One is the Hand Repair Kit - it has small sizes of the hand products to try and a pair of cotton gloves. I like the banana creme and I also like the Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Creme.

West Warwick, RI(Zone 6b)

Elsie, I bet that Almond Milk cream smells great!
: )
Dena

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Dena, it does smell good, it has sweet almond oil in it. I think that is supposed to be good for your nails.

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

I use the Burt's Bees products also. The Almond Milk hand creme is real nice. A small amount does the trick and not particularly greasy.

Waaaay Down South, GA

I got some Bert's Bees last night. Found a wonderful sample kit that had a variety of products in it. Slavored myself with the almond cream, foot cream, lip balm and body lotion. Ooooh, wonderful! Thanks for the tip. If my hands improve ... I'll go for the big container. :)
... Elaine

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

DH has extremely dry skin and uses lotion every morning after getting out of the shower. I can't begin to tell you how many different lotions we have gone through. So far, the best that we have found is Gold Bond Ultimate Healing lotion. It doesn't leave either of us feeling greasy. I do hate a lotion that does not rub in. We've used all the Gold Bond products, but the Ultimate Healing seems to be the best, and the best part is that it is unscented. Good luck with whatever you try!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i think i have tried every single hand cream on the market, from really cheap to really expensive. i always come back to Curel. for me it just works the best. on my lips? nothing but Burt's Bees, the original, not the skinny tube colors. they break off and are made cheaply. i have tubes of Burts all over the house, in every pocket and purse. it puts chapstick and all the others to shame. it's also the only one that stays on, those other ones (flavored esp.) you just end up licking them off. the one other hand cream i love, but it's hard to get, is Barielle. i haven't had any for years, but i do remember loving it.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

this has SAVED MY HANDS... i bought it at my local health food store...

Seven Wonders Miracle Lotion Formulated for Dry Problem Skin with Aloe, 7 natural oils, and 14 herbs... Manufactured Exlcusively for Century Systems Inc., Atlanta Georgia. 1-800-The-Woman www.thewoman.com Sold by Professionals A cruelty free product, no animal testing, $9.00 8 fl oz. pump

I have only been using it once a day, somedays lately i forget because my hands are so much better!

Elaine, notice the company is from Georgia, so you should be able to find some here. If what you got is working, that is great, maybe this info will help someone else. this is a lotion i will want to always have!

tamara

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I use CampDry or Kiwi milk oil. You can only find it in the shoe department now. I can remember when mink oil was the wealthy womens skin treatment. I also like the udder cream. I use both products on my face, hands & arms and feet and lets. The rest of my body doesn't seem to have dry skin.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula hand cream (do yourself a favor and get the unscented) is the best I've ever tried. Get your hands damp and then rub in a little bit of it. I keep it on the backs of my hands only, or where I have little dry-skin cracks on the sides. It isn't shiny-greasy like vaseline, and if you use it for a few days you'll see a big difference.

Amarillo, TX

Extreme Repair Hand Therapy by BeautiControl! It is the best! You can wash your hands up to 3 times before the lotion will completely come off. It is a great lotion for chapped hands. This lotion won't make your hands feel greasy either.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2006 6:24 PM

upper hicksville zon, Canada

A lot of skin problems are due to deficiencies in the diet. Do some research on the healthy fats and if you are deficient you can modify your diet or use supplements if necessary.

Gives new meaning to "beauty is more than skin deep".

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

there was a great discussion here at DG's on this subject a year or so ago. will try to find it.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Hi MacNs, welcome to DG, from a Panhandle neighbor!

tf

still loving my Seven Wonders stuff...

Mayfield, KY(Zone 7b)

I just bought something I loved for the Bath and Body works store. I bought an Almond scrub. You scrub all over with it and then put the Shower cream on with one of those fluffy scrubber things and wash off with that. After you get out of the tub you apply "Lay it on thick" body cream. The brand is True Blue Spa. It has done WONDERS for my dry skin and hands especially. I can't tell you how bad they were. The scrub is important to get rid of all the dry skin. The lotion is very thick. All products have shea butter in them. Love all three products and they smell very clean but not over powering.

Sharon, MA(Zone 5b)

Two other things to try that are supplemental to lotion: Increase your water consumption. My fingers used to crack form the cold(Crazy Glue or a similar product works for this- the dermo recommended!) until I increased my water consumption. 6 cups a day, or a couple water bottle's worth.

My brother-in-law had the grossest, dirty looking dry cracked hands until he started washing with CO Bigelow "soap free" Chapped Hands Cleaner.You get it at Bath and Body Works. Leave it at the kitchen sink. You don't need to use much. You'll feel a difference immediately!

Gazelle, CA

A dermatologist recommended Epilyt lotion. You can get it at a drugstore, but not out on the shelves -- you have to ask the pharmacist, and sometimes they have to special order it, but you don't need a prescription. It is unlike anything else I have ever used -- really heals my hands, which (pre-Epilyt) used to get so dry and cracked in the cold weather that they would bleed.

Averill Park, NY

[spam deleted by admin]

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

The tops of my hands get all chapped and itchy. By accident, I discovered that the Cortasone creams, like Cortaide, or even the generic Wal-mart Equate brand seems to reduce the inflamation almost immediately, then the lotions can do their thing better.
BTW, I am a compulsive hand washer...........work in the garden, have chickens, do housework.........wash my hands a zillion times a day it seems. They get really chapped and dry, especially in winter, and this seems to be the best thing I've found for when they get really painfully dry and chapped.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I use to wear cotton gloves to bed in the winter after applying generous amounts of Pond's hand cream to them. This helped my problem alot.

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

Get a bottle of mineral oil. While your hands are still damp, apply a little to a palm and rub it in. It works wonders on your face and feet also. Have used it for yrs. and yrs. Also use baking soda for underarms. Keeps them dry even when you have sweat running down you. Cheap also. Liz

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

mineral oil to be added to shopping list. thanks.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

I just discovered a fantastic product at Bath & Body works, it's C. O. Bigelow's "Chapped Hand Cleanser"

One of the things that really drys out my hands is that I wash them a LOT in between dirt-digging and being allergic to my cat (still gotta love him!) My hands get miserably dry and the cuticles dry out even worse, sometimes they crack in winter.

Anyway, my hands are softer after washing and rinsing with this product than they normally are after applying hand lotion. It leaves a film on, probably similar to the mineral oil idea. And it smells good. The ad says fragrance free but it has kind of a light minty scent, nothing strong.

It's soap free, so if I feel like my hands need to be super cleaned first (ie if I 'm digging in mushroom compost or something) I wash them with regular antibacterial hand soap, then use this.

Bath & Body works has sales every month, I'm hoping to see this one come up on the list!

plantnutga

(just saw donnadonna's post, so this might not be new news, but I can tell you it's great stuff!)

This message was edited Sep 12, 2006 9:34 AM

Thumbnail by plantnutga
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

101 - How are your hands? Better? I agree with Elsie about the Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Lotion - best daytime lotion I've used. Too greasy for daytime, but Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream is an amazing product. I keep it in my bedside table and use it on my feet, heels, elbows, cuticles, lips - even my whole leg when needed. A little bit goes a long way.

If you try different products and continue having cracks, consider seeing a dermatologist. Sometimes a yeast infection can set in cracks to hands and lips and prevent any product from helping until the yeast infection is treated with antibiotics.

Hoping you are smooth and hydrated!

Debra

Waaaay Down South, GA

Hi Debra
My hands have been doing fine lately. they suffer worse during the cold weather. I've actually tried quite a few things on this thread. I'm sorry I haven't come back to thank each and everyone for posting all these wonderful suggestions. :-) The problem I have had with most things have been the greasy feeling left which I just can't abide during the day, but like I said ... I have mostly had problems in the winter months and sometimes the "big guns" have to be resorted to. LOL

Thanks again for all these wonderful suggestions. I keep this thread marked so if the problem comes back I can come over here to see what to try.

Southern, CA(Zone 8b)

I`m the queen; of dry hands 'lol', I have tried every lotion on the shelf, and nothing works.
Lately I started using plain 'Shea butter, and it seems to be helping the dryness.. I don`t know if you can find it locally, but I order mine from online.

New York, NY

I hate it when my hands are dry, I avoid touching everything. I just put a thick cream on my hands, sometimes even vasaline.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

When my son was born, a neighbor told me what she used for diaper rash on her baby.
She was a very particular and meticulous type person, so I was totally surprised that she used a stuff called Corona that you buy at the animal supply store. It's a salve for horses and cows udders etc. Since I knew that she was such a picky type and wouldn't ever use anything that was not up to her standards, I gave it a try on my new baby.
AMAZING ! It is a VERY thick salve that contains about half lanolin. I had been down the baby routine before and never saw anything like this for diaper rash ! It literaly healed it over night. It works wonders on chapped lips and hands too. The biggest drawback is that's it's so THICK and is a little greasy. But, if you put it on your hands at bedtime and wear the cotton gloves to bed..................soft as a baby's bottom next morning. I guess it's the lanolin that does the trick.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I'd heard of using udder cream before, but have never tried it myself. Sounds like it's worth it though!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

There are several products that go by the name "udder cream" but this one is the one named Corona, and I've only seen it available where animal supplies are sold. It used to be sold in a square can, but now I've seen it in smaller tubes.................people are getting wise to this great stuff. A little goes a long way, and it lasts forever.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the info. I will check into it.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Well, call me goofy ! After all that talk about chapped hands.........I was out of anything to put on my own. LOL Last night I noticed they were getting dry and rough on top, went to the cabinet to get stuff to put on them and "Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard was bare ! I was out of my favorite Corona.
I remembered reading a beauty tips article, that Preparation H was good for puffy eyes, because it is made for reducing swelling and inflamation, etc. I got to reading the label and guess what it's made of ? Petroleum jelly and cortesone. Since I was out of my usual and this was an emergency, I rubbed some on the tops of both hands before bedtime. It worked. Relieved the dry itchy skin and moisturized too. Woke up the next morning with soothed and smooth hands. Who woulda thought ? Worked great in a pinch.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

For me- Shea butter- It's amazing, and it lasts for a very long time.
This place on the web has a good description. http://www.naturessheabutter.com/category_s/74.htm
Happy hands!
Rj

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I just found another thread with the same topic. I thought I would post the link since there might be different info on it.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/673748/

Waaaay Down South, GA

Thanks so much for posting this link. :-)

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

Wash my hands (along with face and chapped legs) with GOJO with pumice in it. Then while my hands are still wet, pour a little mineral oil in them and pat on face and use rest on hands. Use a good lotion with mineral oil as 2nd ingredient in it. If you can find a lotion called SOFTEE, which is made in Memphis, TN it is really good.

Have a happy new year and a great gardening time. LIZ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.