UNSCENTED SWEETPEAS

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

I bought some perennial sweetpeas last year, now they're blooming but they have no scent. That was why I really wanted them. Is this normal?? or are only the annual varieties scented???
Thanks,
Becky

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Becky it's the old sweet peas that have the most scent - the early varieties. There has been so much inbreeding that the scent has been lost on the new varieties in a lot of cases.

Perrysburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Lousia,
So are there old perennial varieties, as I'm really not good with annual seeds. Anything you might recommend or any good sources you know of???

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

The annuals are the ones with all the fragrance. They're not too hard to grow. You can sow the seeds direct in the garden in early spring just like snap peas. I grew "Painted Lady" last year and it was wonderfully fragrant with pink & white blooms.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

poppysue, one thing I have been trading for is sweet pea seeds. Now, when you say in the spring, do I have to wait until after my last frost date??

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

tiG ~ sweet peas can be planted a few weeks before the last frost just like garden peas.

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

A great sweet pea website is fragrantgarden.com. What a variety! They also have loads of planting advice.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks Verdesign, I really love them. I started out making them in sugarpaste for cakes, and just fell in love. I just don't have enough yard for all I want to grow!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.