Our 19th Annual Photo Contest is now open for entries. You can submit your best images HERE

highlighting your own hair?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Any of you highlight your own hair? well, maybe you have a friend help you? The cost of cut, and 2 colors is just too much for me. I want to add a bit of highlight so have the cap, needle, and all the supplies including friend. Advice? I

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks like no one has advice because we're all afraid to do it ourselves. I just stretch my highlights out as far and few between as possible. It actually costs less than my husband getting his hair cut every month.

I would LOVE to do mine but am just not willing to let anyone play with it. I have a neighbor that is always doing hers, but she colors her whole head.

Marlton, NJ

Hi! I have my Husband color my hair and put in highlights. We use Loreal, it comes in the maroon box. Its very easy and he does a great job. Its around $16 much better than the $70 I spent at the Salon.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I had my daughter help me this past week end. I used the cap and needle from the beauty supply store. We left the bleaching/lightening solution on for 3 and 8 min and nothing! I just wanted brownish highlights so may try again.

Rapid City, SD(Zone 7b)

I die my own hair. I am just too frugal to pay $35.00 for someone else to do it. Get a Sally's Card so you can get thier discount. Buy the Wella Brand Hair Color $3.77 each bottle. Then you buy the 20/20 developer perioxide a huge bottle for $6.00, this last a long time. Make sure you get some gloves. I buy those big yellow dish washing gloves, which look awful with all the die on them but they last for ever. I do not have the guts to hi-light my own hair.

Rapid City, SD

I die my own hair. I am just too frugal to pay $35.00 for someone else to do it. Get a Sally's Card so you can get thier discount. Buy the Wella Brand Hair Color $3.77 each bottle. Then you buy the 20/20 developer perioxide a huge bottle for $6.00, this last a long time. Make sure you get some gloves. I buy those big yellow dish washing gloves, which look awful with all the die on them but they last for ever. I do not have the guts to hi-light my own hair.

Rapid City, SD

Rapid City, SD

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

I do my own highlights. When I have the time and patience, I use blond brilliance from sally beauty supply. I bought the foil wraps too. I usually do the crown and around the face. HOWEVER, it took a few times to get it to come out well so realize that you will need to practice.

I have used the highlighting kits from the pharmacy. They have one that you use an applicator and kind of brush in the solution. It came out okay, but also took a little practice.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

are you blond using blond? I am brunette wanting just lighter brunette highlights.

Mc Call Creek, MS

Hubby and I have been doing mine for years. Just use the stuff from Walmart (usually Clairol). He pulls it through the cap and I put the stuff on, etc.

It comes out fine.

Kay

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.