Shopping/ Sales 2006

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi,

Does anyone mind if I start a thread for requesting/reporting garden related items that we all are looking for/finding in our areas? I am always looking for something and hoping to find a great price. [g] I don't get out shopping very often so I like to check in with others that might be out and about more than I am.

I am in Eastern Massachusetts and I have started going through the weekly circulars and have a few online email notifications set up, so I can report that the Big Lot stores in my area have a few things for sale right now. Foam planters in different colors, styles and sizes. $20. for the 20inch size. Solar lights for $8.98, Outdoor fire pits.. $70.?, and a metal gate archway around $90.
I bought one of those foam planters and attach a photo of the 20 inch size.

Right now I will be looking for bamboo stakes, tomato cages/stakes, new varieties of coleus, flat rocks for making a pathway, steppable plants, some ilex glabra and taxus shrubs, when any of the seed racks go on sale for 50% off, and I am always looking for containers.

Anyone else that is looking for something, please feel free to post it here too.

Thanks,
prairie
:-)

Thumbnail by PrairieMoon2
Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi Prairie,

Good idea. I was at Job Lot's last week and I picked up a portable cold frame for 24.99. It was easy to set up and I have it out already. I also posted this in another link somewhere, but garden stakes are only .89 cents each there. They are the ones with the loop at the top for your tall flowers and some stores are selling them for 10.00 each. Job Lot always gets the bags of bamboo stakes but it's around the same time they put their bulbs out for sale and I don't remember when they do that there. I also noticed there seeds were 50% off. If anyone is looking for caladiums and if you don't mind which colors you are getting, Home Depot is selling bags of 18 for $6.96.

Megan

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Hi Praire!
You can get tomato cages at Home Depot but you have to time it just right. They seem to get them in and then they are gone. They usually carry two sizes. Get the bigger one. I'll keep my eyes open for them. One year I needed an extra one and I ended up getting a product called something like 'ultimate tomato cage' at HD when they were sold out of the wire ones. It was a green plastic tower but was about $5 or $6 each.

Hi Megan!
Yes those stakes are excellent price. I can't believe what the other stores are charging for them. Highway robbery for a piece of twisted metal! I would like to try some caladiums in some mixed containers. I was just thinking of getting the plants. Are the bulbs easy?

Sue

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Hello Sue, :)

I'm not really sure how easy the Caladiums are to grow because this will be my first season with them. I have an area at the foot of the driveway on an incline and I think they would look good there and it would be one less area for my DH to mow. See how I always think of him first, and not my own selfish gardening desires? Okay, well it sounded good even if it wasn't completely true.

Megan

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Sue! Nice to see you. :-)

Thanks for that tip on the large tomato cages. My problem is Lowe's is more convenient for us so I rarely hit HD, but I will have to try to get over there a few times this spring.

Megan sounds like you hit a good bargain there. Hope you enjoy your cold frame this spring. Great timing!

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi all,

Where is there a Big Lots around here?
I'm on the lookout for peony rings, but I heard tomato cages work just as well. I need something for holding up my hibiscus too.

Does Bldg 19 ever have gardening stuff? I've only been in there a couple of times and haven't had a chance to really explore what they carry.

Megan, aren't caladiums annual here? I though you had to dig them up each fall. Ahhh, never mind. I just saw you were planting in containers.
Is Job Lots the same as big lots? I'd love a cold frame.

Thanks everyone,
LoraB.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Just want to say HI to you all from MA, wonderful!! We have a job lot near by, I always check it out on garden supplies

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

LoraB,
I don't know if there is a Big Lots. We were talking about getting garden stakes at Ocean State Job Lots which are located mostly on the south shore. See this link for locations:

http://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/locations/Default.asp

The closest to Billerica may be Norwood.

Sue

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Oops I am wrong, there are some Big Lots in Mass. Check it out here:

http://www.biglots.com/aboutus/storefind_adv.asp

Sue

PS Hi Maria welcome to the Northeast forum!

This message was edited Mar 10, 2006 11:58 AM

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Hi Prairie!
For the tomato cages, one year I got some at KMart when Home Depot ran out. Isn't there still a KMart in Billerica? Or has it been converted to one of those 'Sears Essentials' stores? If you're nearby to KMart sometime you might check there as well for the tomato cages. So I guess the closest HD to you is Waltham or Reading? You're right not too convenient! It seems like Lowes has about 80-90% same goods as HD so they will probably have them there. The problem is they put them out and they go quickly... May be if people go to Lowes -- post here if they have the tomato cages in.

Sue

Edit: too many typos!

This message was edited Mar 10, 2006 11:59 AM

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, the Kmart is still here in Billerica. It actually has a good little garden center for the everyday stuff.
There is a HD in Tewksbury. just off of 495. It's super easy to get to.

LoraB

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi LoraB,

Do the Job Lot and Big Lots carry the same things? I haven't been to a Big Lot for 2 years and that was in New Hampshire where they carried a lot of fabulous garden supplies which I stocked up on. Yes, you are correct, the Caladiums are annual here, but I don't mind lifting them. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of lifting with the Dahlias and Glads I am putting in this spring. I know that Job Lot has the Peony rings and they are around 2.99 or 3.99, I forget the price, but I saw them when I was just there. If you're up for a road trip, there is a Job Lot in Medway on Main Street. Directions are 128/495/126 in Bellingham which turns into Main Street in Medway a couple miles down the road. You probably don't want to go from Billerica, but with this nice weather a road trip might be fun and you could stop for lunch at the Irish Restaurant next door. They make home made Irish meals, yummy. I used to live in Holliston before I moved here, so that is why I know about that Job Lot.

Good luck.

Megan

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

I've never been to either of the "Lots". But it's starting to sound like I need to find one!

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

This is so great! lol Someone on another thread mentioned CTShops, so we went to Christmas Tree Shops today. I was able to pick up a number of things I was looking for. They had cedar 1/2 whiskey barrels 24" for $16. and I was able to find those branch teepees someone mentioned on another post. They were 4ft tall and $7 each. They also had a 30" one of those black metal hanging baskets that you can line with spagnum moss and fill with plants for $13.

I will have to save the trip to HD/Lowes until later when they have their stock out. Maybe they will advertise in the Sunday paper when they do. I know Building 19 1/2 always does.

Welcome Maria, nice to see someone new from Massachusetts! We need all the New Englanders we can get!
Thanks

:-)

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Prairie,

That's so great you got to shop at "the Tree" as we so fondly call it around here. Doncha just love a bargain? I joined a windchime swap in the Round Robin Forum, and that is the first place I am going to look for a cool windchime. I love the Tree, and have been addicted for mucho years now. Great prices.

Megan

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

Hmm..Megan, what a fun idea. I am going to have to go check out the windchime swap.
Yes, I enjoy the Christmas Tree Shop too. The closest to me is 30 minutes away which can be a good thing..lol.

Wilmot, NH(Zone 4a)

Hi
Great idea for a thread - I just wish one of you was from NH. Not that we have ANY good shopping in the whole state.
megan I was wondering do you ever get containers at the brimfeild fair? A friend suggested that to me for containers and garden statuary. Its probably a sin to say this, but I am not that into antiques:) but I would definitely make the trip for garden items.

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi dirtyinnh,

Well the good news is that it is not just antiques. They have everything you could possibly imagine under the sun. And, no I haven't purchased containers, but other garden items. Well worth the trip, trust me. :)
Megan

Wilmot, NH(Zone 4a)

Sounds like I have to make the trip! I am always looking for garden items. Any tips for exhibitors to visit or times to go?

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Well, it will be very worth the trip. I suggest parking on Route 19 in someone's yard. The adjacent houses offer parking for cheaper than the fair. The 4th house up on the left has a port a potty installed for each fair. They have them at the fair, but this guy keeps things neat and clean. Any of the houses on 19 are good to park in because you can walk through the backyards and be right in the midst of the fair on that side of the street. There is free parking on 20 if you don't mind walking. It is busy from start to finish, but there is always plenty of parking and easy access if you don't mind parking in someone's yard versus waiting to get in the fair lots. There is so much there and so many acres to visit with such different items the imagination goes wild on gardening ideas. There is so much to see and it's great they don't charge admission. Also, there are places to eat from inexpensive hotdogs to fresh Rhode Island lobster. I wish I could give you a better explanation of what is there, but it is so amazingly varied I've never seen anything like it in my life. A great spot for the family and everyone. Sigh, I can't wait until May for the first fair. If you decide to go, feel free to d-mail me and I'll give you my adress on Route 19 (a few miles passed the parking). You all can visit my gardens, but me, hub and the girls (ages 2 and 3) have only been here 2 years so it's not as great we want yet. But then again, are our gardens ever finished?
Megan

Wilmot, NH(Zone 4a)

Mine was almost finished, last year, so then we decided to move to a new house. Now I have 12 overgrown acres! I tamed about 50 square feet last fall - only 11.95 acres to go! but my intention is to have a lifetime project - never finished. Girls ages 2 and 3! you really have your hands full for someone who finds time to garden too!! I have a boy and a girl 9 and 11. I think its good to have them close together, at least they entertain each other. do you think it would work bringing them to brimfield? My daughter might like it, Maybe i should leave my son with DH. I am not sure about the crowds
Has the ground begun to thaw there yet? We are still frozen solid here, although the local farm stand is getting calls every day since there is no snow. i am so impatient.
Oh yeah back to shopping - don't want to get too off topic - I love christmas tree shops - do you have favorite places to purchase plants?

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

You Burlington and Billerica-ites need to check out the Christmas Tree Shop. They already have a bunch of great gardening stuff out. I get plant stakes, plant tags, ceramic flower pots, plant scissors and clippers, kneeling pads, pocket gardening aprons, large plastic and foam flower pots, hoses, seeds, all kinds of gardening statues and what not. It is kind of hit or miss, no really good potted plants and you have to check in a couple of times during the season.There's a new store in the Assembly Square Shopping Center at rt 28 and rt 16 in Somerville. you can get there down I-93. We're lucky here in Saugus, they are just up Route 1. dirty, I don't know if you are near a CTS in NH, but I know they have them up there.
I have used tomato cages on my peonies, and the large ones work fine.
I also have never been to Brimfield and I have been here 23 years. Maybe this will be the year

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Yes there are at least two Christmas Tree Shops in southern NH that I know of. I am lucky I work in Salem NH and there is one about 1.5 miles from work. Just a quick lunch time stop there to see what is new. There is also a large (fairly new) Christmas Tree Shop on Rt 3 N Exit 6 technically in Nashua but on the Amherst line. It is in the plaza next to the LL Bean Store and Babies R Us. There's also a Home Depot in the plaza. This one often has different stock (more stock) than the Salem NH store. If you go to their web site you can use the store locator and also they have the flyer online.

Sue

http://www.christmastreeshops.com/frames.html

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Home Depot in Salem NH has tomato cages in. Large one 56" is $2.47. They also have the smaller one. Not sure about the other Home Depots.

Providence, RI

i live in providence, ri. can anyone recommend a place to get a lot of soil for cheap? my contractors, after fixing part of my garage wall--trucked away a good amt of my dirt by accident and i need to replace it before starting to plant things in the garden. i'm thinking i need at least 20 of the big 40lb bags that they would sell at home depot/lowe's..

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

I wish I had an answer too for my area. I called a place about having 6 yards of screened loam delivered and he said for 50.00 delivery, he would charge me 53.00 a yard!!!!!! Needless to say I didn't bother asking how much he charged for mulch. Guess he thought there were gold nuggets in his products ha, ha, ha.

Megan

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

South shore people, the IKEA store in Stoughton has some gardening items. Just got back from the CTS in Lynnfield on Rt 1. Got some flower votives and mugs with iris on them for a raffle for my garden club. A great wire pink flamingo with a battery glow ball as its body. My neighbor has PF's in her yard and we try to find her something interesting every year along this line for Mother's Day and Easter. Last year it was a wire PF that had wind chimes as the body. They also had garden and flower themed paper napkins. My daughter bought a tree face to put in our maple tree. I know this isn't really practical gardening stuff, but they did have a great looking small clipper set that looked really good for flower arranging. I already have a set so I passed those by. I got some good small earthenware flower pots, about 6", though, with cobalt blue and a light green outside glaze. They had larger companion pots, too.
Homey D's has an 8 pack of daffodils or tulips or muscari for 9.99. they have a large daffodil and small tete a tetes. the daffs have 2 plants in each of the 8 sections. I bought the tete a tetes to use in a dish garden we made for a present and for hanging baskets and some window boxes for my deck. of course, since I planted the window boxes with pansies and daffs, the snow came. sigh. I just love new england weather!

Norwalk, CT(Zone 6b)

At Ikea in New Haven, CT I bought a good size ceramic pot with a white glaze--looks lovely but reminds me of the bottom half of a golf ball, for $16. (Don't remember the dimensions, big enough for 4-6 4" annuals.) Also some fun glass vases...wavy shaped so they fit together for $0.99 each. They hold a few stems each.
Tamar

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

great thread. i'm over here in western mass, but we have all the stores you have mentioned. and i do just "love a bargain"!!!! i also got the faces for the tree. One man with a mustache, for my dh and then a woman, for me. well they were $2.99 each and i haven't seen them elsewhere for anything less than $9.99. i've been a xmas tree shop phanatic since they only were at the cape. i bring out of state guests to shop there. most are a little apprehensive about going but once they are there......well most end up shipping home a box or two of things. i brought my sister n law, most recently. she is all set for round two when she comes back. :-) i've had good luck with there bulbs there, and they have a huge selection of gardening decor, pots & such. if you've never been, it is well worth the trip. IMHO
this may be untimely by now, but i purchased the caladiums at home depot and i had to return them because 75% were soft. they do not like temperature below 65.
big lots can have great statuary. i always go at easter to see what bunnies they may have. i bought a 10" x 9" resin bunny for $5.99 and a terra cotta 3" pot painted to look like a bunnies head with pom poms for the eyes and nose, with candy inside for $1.49 each. a package of there 10 seeds and it was a great easter gift for the grandaughters.
there plastic planters are also very inexpensive. i needed one gallon containers and found them there for 99 each, with a bottom saucer. i purchased there steel, faux painted verdigris arbor for $69, 5' solar light posts for $10 each, a 10' windmill for $40, a cedar arbor and bench for $70.? or there abouts, a small 2 shelf green house with clear plastic cover for $20, fertilizer spikes (jobes) for $2.99 each bag of 10 spikes. and a whole lot more. you have to keep your eyes peeled and go early sunday mornings too.

ace hardware, rocky's here, has some good rebates going o, for the month of april. preen with or without fertilizer is $9.99 a jug - rebate of $4.00. can get 2 jugs. they have a lot of lawn care system products and much more. go to http://www.acehardware.com/home/index.jsp?clickid=topnav_logo_img rebate link is at the bottom left. or try this http://www.acehardware.com/corp/aprilRebate_0406.pdf
or http://www.acehardware.com/corp/MayRebate.pdf

thanks for everyone's input.
debi z

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.