i did it!!!!!!!!!

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay i am so excited I sowed my first m.g. seeds from 3 different colors this week. I think 3-7 and 3-8 to be exact....i took the advise on the peroxide and water 50/50 and soaked them for 24hrs. before planting and they are up as of yesterday!!!!!!! wow my head is spinning that was so fast. now my only problem is that.......i know i know but i started them indoors. now i have heard they don't transplant well so is now the time to do it or how do i handle this? the only reason i sowed indoors is because i have never planted m.g. before and wanted to see how long it too etc. for them to sprout. i planted them in plastic cups with drainage holes and put them in covered containers to help speed germination. any help will be appreciated!

Kelly

Phoenix, AZ

Congratulations! This is my 1st year with MG's too. I started mine back in January. 1st they went into peat pellets in a 10 gallon aquarium with a glass lid and plant light. Then they came out into cups and in the windows. Most were planted outside 2 weeks ago (I'm in phoenix) I have a Kniola black that is actually going to bloom today! I had no problem transplanting outside. I would jsut make sure your temps are warm enough ;)

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Kelly - I've never had any problems transplanting MG's...water the plants alot the day before you transplant and keep the plants well watered for several days after you transplant...do the transplant in the evening after the sun goes down and it is not too hot,this will give the plants more time to accomodate before they see hot sun...if the plants are going to be in direct sun,providing them with some partial shade for a few days may be helpful...I sometimes cover the plants with a piece of burlap or muslin to provide partial sunblockage if it is very hot and the sun is very intense...

TTY,...

Ron

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay i transplanted them today. Cross your fingers for me and hope they do well.
Fish- Congrats. on your first year as well.
Ron you have been a help!

Kelly

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

I have seeds that came up about four days ago. The plants are about 4" high and very thin and spindly. No new leaves yet. I planted them in peat pots and have kept them under flouresent (sp) lamp. Will they get new leaves and thicken up soon?
This is my first time planting seed

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

purplepetunia - if you can manage to give them some good direct sunlight,that can work as well or better than the electric lighting...sometimes the peat is a bit too lean on nitrogen to give the young plants a good start...a very low dose of a fertilizer with an NPK ratio of about 3-10-3 might help them out a bit...

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

update: they are growing like crazy. i have put them outside during the day and bring them in at night. we had a light frost here last night i am glad i did! this past weekend it was 80 and now frost! they have new leaves already! i am so pleased with their progress. good luck with yours purplepetunia!

Kelly

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

I have moved them to a sunny window. I put them outside this morning in a somewhat shady area, thought the breeze might be good. Within 45 min. they were almost laying down. Brought them in, sprayed them with H202 water and they are standing again.
Daylilies did yours get 5" before getting there secoond leaves?

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

not really. they are about 3 inches tall right now.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Way to to, Kelly!!! It is very exciting seeing the seeds you've planted sprout!
:) Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.