Ode to the French for curb appeal- TooLooseLaTrek.

Novato, CA

I gotta watch how I say things on this particular board..... ( bear with me while I try to go GP -13 )

Well, I have a new piece fresh out of the easy bake oven.
He's been named a couple of really good titles by a few of my friends and neighbors , none which could be reiterated here.

Most people seem to think he has a decidedly French flare , ( think The Bird Cage ) .

I kinda see him as a cross dresser between Toulouse Lautrec at the Moulin Rouge and Carman Miranda.

He's such a happy gay little fella.

Thumbnail by deviant_deziner
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Michelle, The Bird Cage without a question, the butler/maid per chance?

It looks like the green jello is gone.

Pauline

Novato, CA

Jello still abounds in the shady part of the garden.
This area is in full sun all day long so it did not jellify.

Zen, you are so perceptive !
When I was assembling Frenchy in its bisque stage of firing I broke one of his feet and didn't bother to make a new one intime so he is in essense, 'barefoot',... just like le maid/butler in the movie The Bird Cage.

Now I have a good excuse to use in regards to his naked peds.
" shoes just mess up his footing".

voila !

Clyde/Fines Creek, NC(Zone 5b)

The Rhinestone Cowboy may be a more current nom de guerre. Just a touch more brim to the hat. A small Kalanchoe thyrsiflora perhaps.

ilima

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Michelle, sorry the jello is still there, I still have the whipped cream topping although it is sinking fast. Was he a maid or buttler I can't remember?

Pauline

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

deviant deziner, Did you design the path? It's quite lovely.
Your "boy" has a fey quality, reminds me a little of the animated movie " Dark Crystal". The color is perfectly balanced and brings out the sweet whimsy. It's the face and turn of the head that makes him look elfin. I love that you planted his head - very deviant.

I'm new to Daves Garden and this site, hope you don"t mind me adding my .02 cents
Pixie

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Pixie-I will add my .02 cents welcome. Another voice is always fun.

Pauline

Far Northwest 'burbs, IL(Zone 4b)

Pixie, "Dark Crystal" is really on the spot. Something about his face. I like him. I also love the succulents he is surrounded by, and that path looks like it was a lot of work. Gorgeous.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pauline
Thanks for the welcome.
Meig
You saw the "Dark Crystal" too.
Pixie

This message was edited Mar 22, 2006 5:10 PM

Chapel Hill, NC

Pauline--

s/he was a bit of both...no matter whether we're talking the original or the remake.

Your Deviance--pg13? OK--I'll do my best to behave myslf as well. Is there a succulent that has a banana feel to it? To my mind he seems more Carmen than Tooloose....

Another great piece of mud!

melanie

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

mjsee I did see both, but several years apart. Must be time to see them again. I thought the first was the best.

Pauline

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

The traveling Knome needs a vacation. Maybe you could get Travelosity to give him a job!

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

Did you name him Frenchy? I think he looks more like a LeRoy. I love the headdress!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Deviant I always get excited with your garden shots. You have the coolest stuff and plants and walkways and..... But I agree with mjsee he needs a hat full of bannanas, apples, and a chin strap of lace to hold on the hat. Hee Hee

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

I am really disappointed that you all did not recognize Carmine Meranda's grandson. Some family ties struggle endlessly to deny DNA but the anomaly of "top of the head growth" is hard to hide. And lets be fair clothes don't always make the man or ...the woman.

Chapel Hill, NC

runktrun--

But I DID! That's why I asked about banana-like succulents! ;~)

melanie

Novato, CA

..... and the silliness continues here at my little shop of horrors and borderline delights.

Some may be familiar with my larger than life size topiary woman named Buxom Bottom Busty Betty.
Well, she finally got some company from not only Carman Miranda's grandson but from a four legged friend made in her own likeness.

Yes, she has a dog. A Jack Russell Topiary Terrier Terror planted up with Sedum hispanicum ( should have gotten a Mexican Chi-wow-wa) and Echiveria.

Will have to take a portrait photo of the happy couple and post later.

arf arf.

Novato, CA

Buxom Bottom Busty Betty with Toto

Thumbnail by deviant_deziner
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

It looks like Toto doesn't want to play ball. both Toto and BBBB are great what is Betty made of?

Novato, CA

Yup, Toto isn't very playful much to Mr. Peabody's disappointment.

BBBB is planted with creeping fig - ficus pulima- and has echiveria nipples.
She too boasts a Carman Miranda like head dress of savory succulents.

It took me about 3 or 4 hours to make BBBB's chicken wire frame and about 3 years for her to fully grow into her skin.

Toto on the other hand took me about 5 minutes to fork over $ 28 dollars for a pre-made chicken wire frame and another 36 dollars for 3 flats of sedum hispanicum + about a hour and a half to stuff and plant the pooch.

I'm hoping that with weekly Miracle Grow fertilizer douches that the sedum will fully cloth Toto for his big 'reveal' at the Garden Conservancy open day party on May 21st.

just gotta keep Mr. Peabody from lifting his leg and 'going on' Toto.
.. .. guess it's a terriorial thing.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

B4 looks even better than she did last year. And I'm in love with her new pal on the leash. But alas, it looks like Poor White Poochie is in for a big disappointment.
Careful with the new addition (the grandson) - we might have a case of hanky-panky in the Midnight Garden of Good-'n-Evil!

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Michelle,

Really great to see you are expanding your topiary collection. And, I was wondering if the Peabody was still terrorizing the yard, He HE. What do You use to stuff the figures with before you plant them? Moss? Great Job, and I really like that bench! Is it new? Looks like your yard is going to survive the attack of the green jello and be faboo for the Garden Walk in May...

Patrick

Novato, CA

You want my stuffing recipe ?
' sure about that ?
usually people run when I embark on anything that resembles culinary preparation.

I've always been mo'betta at mudpies than apple pies.

Nothing really that special.
The frame of Toto was pretty small so I just used ready made flats of sedum hispanicum and stuffed the green side out and the root side in .
There was a void in the stomach and I used just plain old super soil mixed with a little of that soil gel granular stuff.

When I made Betty I did not stuff her with anything.
She was just a skeleton of a woman ( chicken wire frame ) and I planted a 5 gallon size Ficus Pumila in the ground over where she stands.
As the ficus grew, it covered the frame.

Now all I have to do is shear her bush to keep her tidy. ( evil grin )
( Tony Jefferies always liked that joke !, by the way , you might want to zip him off a well wishing email, as he just survived a heart attack .... It's going take a lot more than a heart burp to put 'Inkoginto' in mother earths' compost pile ).

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Yikes, that's terrible news. yes, I will definitly send Tony a line when I get to my other computer at home where his email addy is. Thanks for the heads up. Probably Eric's fault! HA. And he just became a Grandad again, no traveling for him for a while...

I am sure Tony enjoyed your bush shearing comments. Did you tell him you had to stuff the dog? Maybe you should wait. Is it bad to laugh after a Heart attack...

Clyde/Fines Creek, NC(Zone 5b)

Well if my lurking suspicions and Erics are correct Tony doesn't feel so bad that he isn't up for a little drama, so a laugh can't hurt. Send him my Aloha if you could Patrick since my knowledge of him is post e-mail exposure.

ilima

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

If anyone feels like sharing his address could you dmail me?

Thanks,
jb

Novato, CA

JB.
Just D-mailed you with Tony's email address.
If you did not receive it, zip me a line and I'll try to get it to you.

I think that he would appreciate hearing from those who enjoyed his gardening contributions over the years on the GW.

michelle

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

I got it. Much thanks. I never met the man and yet I'm saddend as though a dear friend has fallen ill.

jb

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Whoever is communicating with Tony, please extend my best wishes for a super-fast recovery. I'm relatively new to both forums & don't know him like some of you, but I miss his comments on GW and didn't know if he had migrated over here or not.
E

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

I got an email from INky. He says the heart attack was a surprise, but that he's able to think, and that's great news! I have asked him to come here and play with us. I hope he does...

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

The name Tony/INky doesn't ring any bells for me, I assume he hasn't been posting lately. In any event I am glad to hear that he is doing better.

Chapel Hill, NC

zenpotter--

He has been a frequent poster over on GW. Those of us who are LD Forum refugees have a history with him.

melanie

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I will have to check, I still go back to GW for the MN site and Garden Restoration.

Pauline

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

I love the dog and the Frenchman.

The Frenchman looks great in that environment...cool plants and path.

That dog being on leash is also marvelous! I just went back to look at that dog again and noticed the LADY holding the leash...ROFLMAO! That is hilarious! What a fun idea!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I knew you had a Jack russell because the distinct downward locked on focus of the ball is a Jack's most common look. Well done Deviant.

Novato, CA

food, ball , dog park, car ride,
food, ball, dog park , car ride
food, ball, dog park , car ride.

those are the four basic words that he has trained me to know.
In that order.

He is 14 years old now and really has slowed down a bit.
He is pretty much deaf , I used to think it was selective hearing (and it probably was at one time ) but have figured out that he is infact deaf as a doornail.

Now I catch him red handed on the couch, where as before he would hear me arrive home and jump off before I opened the front door.

I have already caught him peeing on the topiary dog's legs.
Oh well, maybe that will give BBBB feet a chance to grow in.
She use to be the shrubbery of peeing choice.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes at 14 you don't have to respond to the "catch me as you enter the door" phase. Though I have known several Jacks that lived to almost their 20's. One even was 24 before my best friend had to put him down. My Jack kayaked with me out on the west coast of Vancouver Island and I never had to gather fire wood cause she just kept bringing me logs to throw and they became fire wood. I also never had to worry about sealion attacks cause she kept them at bay. I so love their energy.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Your photo reminded me of the garden at a small inn in Provincetown, MA, that was decorated with all sorts of Barbies and Kens. Some were traditional, some were cross-dressers, and some were engaged in "R" rated behavior.

It was called "The Barbie Garden." I wish I could find some photos for you!

Novato, CA

Oh my! How fun !
R- rated behavior !

reminds me of the prank we pulled last Christmas with my neighbors two twinkle light reindeers whereas we re-arranged their 'positions'.
It was hilarious cuz one of the reindeer's heads was motorized and actually moved back and forth.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

That leaves much to ones imagination doesn't it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images