Cameo Elegance

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

I was recently given 'Cameo Elegance' from Thompson-Morgan. The pictures look like 'Mini Rose Bar.' Does anyone know if they're the same? Or has grown 'Cameo Elegance'? I'm curious as to how large it gets.

Thanks, Denise

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Hi Denise,

The marketing names of "Cameo Elegance","Mini Bar Rose", "Beni Chidori"(Takii) and "Tsubame"(Sakata) often cannot be relied upon to produce fully consistent results regarding the features of the plant(s) they produce...

My experience with the consistency of the plants produced from the above mentioned types is that the flowers will be a 'reddish' color usually with a white margin,but sometimes lacking a prominent white edge...the leaves are usually trilobed and variegated...

The main differences seems to be in the size of the flower produced,the size of the leaves and the habit of the plant in general...that is to say that some plants seem to be more of a trailing dwarf type with a smaller overall leaf size as compared to the larger plant that readily climbs,has larger leaves and often a somewhat larger flower that usually has a white outer edge to the corolla...
the size and shape of the seeds can sometimes be used as an indicator as to what type of habit the plant will take...the larger seeded type(often more angulated) producing the plant that tends to be more of a climber with overall larger features...
the smaller seeds(often more rounded) producing the smaller plant that has more of a tendency to behave as a trailing type ...

The only surefire way to know what you are going to get seems to be to grow the seeds and see what develops...

The seedpods on these plants most closely match those of Ipomoea nil in overall characteristics such as the size,shape and upper section of the sepals which usually do not bend downwards and if so, doing so only slightly...in contradistinction to the sepals of Ipomoea hederacea which display a pronouned downward curving of the upper section of the sepal...this curvingh of the upper section of the sepal may not present until the seedpods are almost mature...

The climbing 'Minibar Rose' plants that I have grown have exhibited a cold tolerance almost matching the wild strains of Ipomoea hederacea common to my local area and growing to lengths of over 12+ feet long ...the stems of the smaller leaved trailers will often seem to be self-limiting to about 3 or 4 feet and then prefer to produce fresh vine stems from the main stem,rather than continue to elongate the more mature growth...

These plants using the marketing names such as those mentioned above may be hybrids of Ipomoea nil with some admixture of Ipomoea hederacea but the sepals display the dominant features of Ipomoea nil...

While observing Ipomoea hederacea strands growing wild in my area,I have noticed that the plants seem to be of a 'stiffer' construction as compared to either I.purpurea or Ipomoea nil and often behaving more like trailers in response to the immediate environment,although readily climbing if a suitable support is available...

I prefer the larger type for my own growing enjoyment and have tended to focus on continuing to work on a large seeded line that grows well for me in my area...

TTY,...

Ron

This message was edited Aug 29, 2007 10:40 PM

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Ron! That explanation helped alot. I saw 3 or 4 similar varigated MGs here and was wondering what was up. I bought 'Cameo Elegance' from Thompson-Morgan to use on our hillside. I'm thinking now it's better off in a hanging basket. I'll have to find the 'Minibar Rose.' Do you know where it's being sold, off-hand?

Thanks again, Denise

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Once again, Ron, you contribute to our education! Comprehensive, factual information will always helps us sort out the details of what we grow. Thanks! - Arlan

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Denise and Arlan - You are most welcome...

Denise - I haven't purchased any of the types in question for several years and couldn't vouch for the accuracy of what is currently being marketed...The size and shape features of the seeds may be a useful guide,but since I've seen dwarf types produce some large seed,and the larger plants sometimes(but not usually) produce some smaller seeds,the seed key is not completely consistent...

There are seeds on e-bay and perhaps the accompanying photos(if accurate) combined with a few questions to the merchants may yield favorable results...

Good Luck...

TTY,...

This message was edited Mar 23, 2006 5:43 AM

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I have a spot in my yard that I may use to experiment with the various varigated MGs. That area needs a vine longer than 3' though LOL.

Of course, I've been very fortunate in my trades, plus seeds given to me. I have plenty of other MGs to choose from.

Of the I. tricolor, I. purpurea, I. nil, can
you think of particular cultivars that seem to stay open later in the day than others?

Denise

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Denise - The Ipomoea tricolor cultivars are inconsistent,but some shade in the afternoon will help in prolonging bloom life...

The darker colored Ipomoea purpurea seem to stay open for most of the day and the Ipomoea nil Early Call mix,"Hatsu Arashi" and the "Cornell' usually stay open for most of the day...

The Ipomoea indica stays open all day as does the Merremia dissecta...

TTY,...

Ron

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for sharing your MG wisdom. You're extremely knowledgable on this topic!

Denise

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Denise - Well,,if you 'hang around' for awhile you pick up a few things 'here'n'there'...glad something I mentioned is of help...

TTY,...

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

Ron, you're too modest LOL!

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

I do like the look of I. nil 'Cornell' (have been looking for it) and 'Hatsu Arashi.' Do you know if there's a place that these are commercially available?

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Denise, no worries, there will be some of those in your package leaving saturday :)
Good luck with them!
Laurrie

Zanesville, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Laurrie! I'm definitely getting spring fever LOL. I'm ready for the warm weather and wonderful flowers :~)

Denise

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

You are most welcome!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Denise, Park Seed Comp has mini-bar rose mg on their sale page.
Just 1.35 for a pack. www.parkseed.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.