I thought this was cute..

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Sun's up and I got my coffee - let's go fishing

Thumbnail by bigcityal
West Warwick, RI(Zone 6b)

mmm, fishing!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Trying a 2nd time. On the correct thread this time.
Cute little guy outside our vacation house.

At the end of our last coffee thread is a Chinese plum.

Thumbnail by Dave47
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Need help on what this is. Orchid family??

Thumbnail by Dave47
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Another view

Thumbnail by Dave47
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

landscaping

Thumbnail by Dave47

looks almost like a Red Hot Poker

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hey Dave that looks so wierd to see your name on a photo - way to go. I was out of scanned photos too.

That orchid is nice, the other ones almost look like torch lily.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Its much thinner. The leaves were orchid-like. The stalkk looked like miniature bananas.

Some bougies

Thumbnail by Dave47
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I did it!! I think the white flower is an iris. I wonder if the little "bananas" open up to someting more orchid like.

I took seeds off a tree that had caster bean looking seed pods. It flowered profusely in lavendar- purple flowers that looked like individual foxglove blossoms. These trees seemed to blossom before any leaves came out. Anyone got a clue?

Dave I think this is your ? plant...
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/818/index.html

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Gena(formerly Dena) You must be right (Al too). I've even grown those but I never saw one all yellow before. Man, it amazes me how wrong I can be.

Dave, I think it has something to do with how much sun they are getting or not getting, what color they turn, I grow Red Hot Pokers and they are beautiful, bright red and yellow, I dug up a huge clump and planted some in less sun than they had been used to and the next year they were all yellow, and never had any red in them at all.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

due to sun or soil changes do you think...

Here's a pic for you. Last weekend I took forsythia cuttings for forcing...

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2

and they are so beautiful!

Good morning everyone!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Very nice Anita

you guys are out of luck - I scanned more old pictures

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Anita, Nice Forsythias. In a collage, no less....

I had a tense moment this afternoon. Sidekick Sarah was barking up a storm in the yard, I yelled at her to be 'quiet' but she kept barking. I went out to check and there was a sickly looking raccoon hissing at her (on the other side of the fence.) Raccoons in daytime = Rabies to me.
I called Animal Control and 10 minutes later he showed up but the coon had disappeared.
The terrain has been torn up with the construction next door and may have disturbed it, plus it was warm and sunny. Hopefully it is just waking up and not sick.

Andy P

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Good luck with that Andy. Has Sarah had her shots?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dave (ND) Yes she is up to date with her shots.
Never the less I didn't want her tangling with it. The animal control guy said it was not unusual to see raccoons out in daylight in Spring if their territory was disturbed.
It didn't act normal to me, though. Hopefully it will move on to greener pastures.
Sarah cornered a wood chuck a couple of years ago and got all bloody. Fortunately she listens when I call her off.
She is such a good girl.
She doesn't like to get her pic taken, though.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

aww..she's a good girl...

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

So she doesn't like to get her picture taken huh? Yeah right :) Although she does have that look - "Geez, do I have to pose again?" LOL Your raccoon story reminds me of my "panic" last week. Had been seeing a fox crossing the road around here quite regularly - always seemed like I'd spot him about the same time of day - mid morning. One day last week I was returning home, got out of my car and heard what I thought was our dog barking on the edge of the field but it sounded like she was hurt. I kept calling her and she wouldn't come, so I walked over to find her and there she was just sitting there staring across the field - no barking. But I kept hearing the "barking" - looked over to what she was looking at and it was a fox "barking" at her! I've heard fox before, but not one that sounded like this! When I hollered at him, he took off and a huge crow that was sitting above him in the tree took off after him, swooping down at him. He stopped a short distance later and the crow found another spot in a tree above him. A few more minutes and he took off again with the crow in pursuit. Okay, I'm thinking - good he's gone! Then when I came back home a couple of hours later for lunch, my husband looked out the living room window and there he was again, on the edge of our property - maybe 150-200' feet away. He had his 'catch' (maybe a rabbit) in his mouth and was circling around the back of our pond. (Panic set in thinking it was my cat in his mouth!) We went out on the deck and hollered at him and he took off again but that was just a little close for comfort for me to have him hanging around. A friend told me that she had heard if crows are chasing an animal, it usually means they're sick or injured - anyone heard of this? We've had fox on the property for years and see them occasionally but not this close - heck we've even got coyotes, but we never see them. Just makes me uncomfortable having the fox hanging around this close - husband says not to worry - what do you think?

Debbie

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Hey Debbie, maybe she's got pups in the area?

Yeah - it's Friday. This week at work has given me such a headache! I have my nieces for the weekend, so that should be fun. Hope everyone has a super weekend!

gotta get ready..gotta be in by 8am today.

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

Debbie:
Hi, I'm kind of new here, so I hope you don't mind my just jumping in. I love foxes, but I am also kind of scared to have them so close to the house. We have small dogs...it really worries me. With your cat, I'd be worried, too.

We had one come right up about 20' from the house the other day.

We also have coyotes (hey, if Central Park can have them, we can, too!) and one early morning recently, my husband and I watched astounded as a HUGE dog-sized cat like thing with a low slung kind of body and a real short tail slinked across the stone bridge of our pond. He swears it was a bobcat, and the folks at the Agway say they keep hearing about bobcat in the area from others!

Yikes! It's gittin' wild out there!

Daisygrrl

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Debbie, Last Summer I witnessed something similar but with a cat and robin.
The cat had caught a baby robin and the parent was harassing the cat. Lots of frantic chirping, to no avail I'm sorry to say.
Maybe your fox was bothering the crows.
Andy P

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

WELL, Everyone must have had a very active Friday night.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Lookie here, I just found a whole bunch of very strange animal pics.
Someone has been manipulating the pixels.
Andy P

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Busy in the Garden today?

I spent a lot of time fishing 3 trash barrels of wet leaves out of my pond. I think I woke up my fish!

This message was edited Mar 25, 2006 11:43 PM

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Good morning,

it's looking like it will be nice enough to work outside today.
I've made some good progress on my wall, here are some artifacts I found

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Al, where those behind the paneling?
I like finding 'time capsules'.

Here is another weird manipulated pic.
Andy P

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Andy,
Most of the things I found this time were in an old half wall(now removed) and slid into the duct work. This house had a major remodelling in the '50's. There wasn't anything left on purpose. More than one person I've talked to has rumored that there was money hidden in this house somewhere.

Dena - I just acquired another bed from my neighbor - the wormophobe. About 6 x 12 out in front of her house.

This photo was altered to make my hair look grey.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Al, Many old houses have that rumor attached. The builder who took down the shack next door mentioned how often people ask if he ever found anything during demo. He said he had never found any valuable stash.

I have tomorrow off. The floor guys are stripping and poly-ing the old wide pine floors in that antique I'm working in.
I have to set up and plant a new strawberry bed. I got the plants Friday but it's been cold and damp so they are in the fridge to keep them dormant.
The new bed is going in the old 'nursery' bed. Lots of things must be lifted and potted up. The weather is expected to be OK.

I finally got my seeds planted in flats today. 3 Tomatoes, mixed bell Peppers, broccoli, kohlrabi, Pac Choi and 3 Petunias. Next week will be 4 Hardy Hibiscus, Amaranthus Tricolor oh too many to list.
I think this week will warm up enough so I can get started with Spring clean up.
Andy P

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I got in some work outside today. Some good signs of life out there with sedum,tulips,columbine and helenium poking up. Now I can rework my plans a little bit with some plants I can move out but still enjoy. I got the dry half of my lawn raked too. Supposed to be warmer with a little rain this week that should really get things going.

I can't believe the money story either - why would you leave money at a house when you move? I can say the remodelling they did was not cheap work - lots of 'real' 2x4's and thick boards.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Hey guys.
I think those girls must have kept Anita busy. Want to start a pool on when she surfaces on DG. I have 10:48 pm.
Well, my guys team is eliminated from March madness. Overcoming depression here.
But I still have the women's team.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2006 8:10 PM

This message was edited Mar 26, 2006 9:12 PM

This message was edited Mar 27, 2006 12:05 AM

This message was edited Mar 27, 2006 12:06 AM

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Sigh. My team got beat in the first round.
I call it my delusional pick. Never gonna win. Sigh.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Hi GM. Where is Saugus?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Dave - the UW women won hockey, the men are in the final four - does that count?

Hey I like your editing, sort of reminds me of 1984 where the goverment was never wrong because they rewrote history.

If Anita's rentakids are like mine they wanted to be on Disney.com the whole weekend.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Actually - I had to play nintendo the whole weekend!

Had a great time..they cried when they had to leave saying they like it better at my house! My brother and sister-in-law spent the day today. I kicked my brother's bumb in golf on nintendo! I got minimal sleep as my nieces decided that they had to test out my new bed with me...3 of us in a full size bed...needless to say, I'm crooked! Michaels' craft stores had a family craft day Saturday which was fun - good marketing move too! I got about 30 minutes of gardening done today. It was nice as my older niece [8] was into helping, but my brother arrived and ended that.

I just finished getting some of the second job's work done and now I'm shot - so it's off to bed and some normalcy. Talk to everyone tomorrow!

Anita

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

WOW! I nailed Anita's reemergence to the minute!
Overcoming my men's NCAA basketball depression due to an amazing win by the Uconn women.
I can go to bed at least half happy.

PS:Al, hockey counts. The men in the final 4 of what?? Hockey too?
PPS:Anyone else around here have a pond?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.