Length of Pants?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

What's the general rule for length of women's pants? bottom of hem touch the ? or? I notice on What Not to Wear the jeans, worn w/ heels, are so long almost touching the ground. I wear my jeans w/ flats or sometimes my clogs w/ a small wedge.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

the backs of my jeans just kiss the floor and the front just shows my toes.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

w/ heels or flats or both?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

either one. i have different jeans for all my different heel sizes. the hardest (because i'm so short) is finding the ones to go with flats or tennies. i always wear a flare cut, not huge like the kids wear, but flared more than a boot cut. this allows the pant to come down and hang properly, at least for me. i agonize over this, i really do. i can't go out of the house in a pant that looks too short.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

On tonights What Not to Wear tv show, Clinton said hem should be 1/2 in from the floor. That is soooo impractical here in the rainy pacific northwest.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

that's why i stick with jeans. i don't care if i have a frayed, soggy hem with those. i have dress jeans too though and i don't want them messed up. what's a girl to do?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

tracks', you could write a real long sad novel on this subject. Is that why you live in FLORIDA and not the pacific northwest?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you got it!!! LOL

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm short too so pant length is a real 'pet peeve' with me. I can't stand pants that are too short. Mine are just hair from touching the floor.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

that's what i'm talking about! lol debi

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

General rule for length of pants in my world?

Whatever they are.

Oh my gosh, if I had to pay attention to fashion rules, I'd
be in jail forever. I know what to wear and what not to wear.

Whether I care is another matter. LOL

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i care, but only in the real world. when i'm home then anything goes.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

I just did an online search for info about fashionable lengths for pants and found this wonderful site! I'm 5'3", weigh 108 lbs. and usually wear a size 2 or 4. Petite sizes in pants are sometimes a tad too short, and regular sizes always need hemming. It seems these days that you need a "slanted" hem, touching the shoe in front but almost covering the heel in back.

And what about capri's? I like mine just below the bottom curve of the calf, but some of the ones I buy are much longer and just look like pants that are too short! My husband calls those "expecting a flood pants"! I sure seem to be spending a lot of time hemming these days.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

what site did you find? or are you talking about this one? you have the same problem i do! LOL

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

A slanted hem? I just don't think that would work here in Pac Northwest where rain is the norm and puddles are life. Actually, I think some stylish pant lengths are almost sloppy looking they are soooo long. Where is the site you are talking about?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

My Google search for "correct pants length" turned up the "Dave's Garden" web site and this forum on Length of Pants.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

that's what i thought! leave it to dave to be on the cutting edge of everything. lol

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Length of gauchos? personal preference or is there a rule? coming soon: Mr Dave's best and worst dressed gardeners!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

gauchos right under the knee cap. oh lord, i know i'll make the worst dressed list. it ain't a purty sight!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

tracks dear, is that your opinion or is that THEE WORD? ok, how about this: what color, pastel maybe, can I wear w/ my goucho's that are dark sludge green? The green is p/u in the light of day but from some lights it looks dark dark brown.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i would go with something like a jcrew tank top because you always want to balance the look. in other words, baggy gauchos-skinny, sleeveless top, otherwise you get into that whole baggy lady look. as far as color, it depends on what colors look good on you! i prefer an allover color, so i would go with a shade of olive green or coffee brown, but if you want light, i like khaki or a sky blue. i love blue with brown or green. even a pale pink looks great with brown, but when you have a dark with a light of anything, the eye jumps from one to another and it can pronounce the less than perfect parts. just my opinion here!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I thought of the issue re: light top and dark bottom. It tends to be kinda choppy cut in halfish. I do not want to go sleeveless so maybe something 3/4 length pullover in light cotton blend.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

yes, that will do, but not a baggy top and not skin tight either and not fancy! the gauchos are way on out there enough without shmutzing up the top half.

This message was edited Jun 25, 2006 9:16 PM

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I really don'tcare what the rule is about the length of pants , all I know mine do not drag along the road to get dirty and wet, it looks slopy and even slovely as I see some women walking down the street.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm really thankful that there IS NO LENGTH set for pants anymore. The only thing you don't want to do is wear the wrong SHOE with the length pant you have. hahaha....now you're puzzled all over again, yes??

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

it would look kind of strange if one wears white , decorated with rhinesones, high heeled shoes with a pair of sloppy jeans

ha ha is right

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, I never quite know what to do, but when my daughter is here, she quickly tells me what doesn't look right! *smile*

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

As long as you feel comfortable and think you look presentable, what does it really matter what others think, I just want to look decent when I am going some where which is usally to the market or the drugstore, lol
other times I work in the garden with decent jeans ( no ripps or tares0
or shorts and a gardeners apron that keeps all my small tool I may need

Deatsville, AL(Zone 8a)

I am also short and have a problem finding jeans that dont drag the floor on me, so I have to shop carefully. I really like them to touch the top of my shoe, though. During the summer I dont even wear jeans because the Alabama Heat and Humidity factor makes you feel like you are melting in them. I try to stick to shorts and capri pants in summer. And by the way- MY husband calls capri's "Tom Sawyer pants" Ha, Ha, !!!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

or Huckleberry pants?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Does anyone call pants that are too short ''high water pants?'' I cannot wear short pants, being a 70's child.

To me, Capris will always be my Mom's pedal pushers.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

high waters or floods! lol yes, they are pedal pushers to me too. anything above the ankle or below the knee just looks ridiculous on me.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I haven't even tried either length. No interest. Course, I'm beyond short shorts, but that doesn't mean I don't have a pair way under everything in my bottom drawer for the day I get skinny again!

When I was about 10 I had a pair of black stirrup pants. The next year I tried to get them on, and boy did I try, but to no avail. (Lucy pants.)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I like 'em!!! And you can't make me stop wearing them!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

ok, we won't try! LOL that reminds me of a saying between an old friend and me. we'd put our hands on our hips and say, "don't tell me what to do"!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ROTFL!!!

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Tom Sawyer pants. ROFLMBO My oldest dd is 5'7 and looks good in the now called 'capri pants'. I'm barely 5'2 and I look so silly with a pair on. My legs are too short and they make me look 'frumpy'. I need pants with a 'long and lean' look. ;)
Lin

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i'm with you, 5'2". if i had a big hat on with them, i'd look like a push-pin.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ROTFL!!!!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

and big big dangling earrings to finish off the push-pin look. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.