The Baggie Thing is yielding results

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I am liking the practice of putting slow-to-show tubers in a baggie with a bit of dampened soil or planting mix. Eyes are showing up in just a few days in their little enclosures including Dr Don's BAW!!!! whoo hoo!

However, I recommend starting with a fresh bag of soil because some little varmint obviously got into my open bag in the garage over winter. Now I'm growing quite a few of these in my little plastic greenhouses:

Thumbnail by Poochella
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Looks good Pooch.

You really need to build your varmints their own shelter from all that rain I think.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, Annie, guess I need to get DrDon's BAW in the baggie too tomorrow. Thanks for letting us know that it really works.
Carol

Green Bay, WI

Pooch - tried some of my tubers in baggies - not seen any eyes as of yet.
But I have some as tall as yours and I just planted them a week ago Sunday in pots
Now I am getting excited - I just love reading the garden ideas since I am
new to these beautiful flowers. I ran out of pots due to the fact the clumps were so big
and in other packages they were all separate so that is where the baggies came in
nice. So my little greenhouse is full of dahlias! Keep the great ideas coming because
I can use all you can give me.
Sue

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Sue,
I think the combo of heat/light/dampness really jump starts them. I found about 3 more with little green or pink eyes bulging today. Really a great trick I am glad to pass on. I'm busy picking so many sunflower sprouts out of my baggie or milk cartons of dahlias, it's amazing the birds got anything to eat as some squirrel has been busy storing away. Or Mouse?

Big city Al, I HAVE built them a varmint house: it's called 'the garage!'

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Knock on wood they have not been in my garage in a while.
I get chipmunks that 'plant' clumps of sunflowers everywhere during the year. They certainly don't come back to eat them later.

I have checked on some of my tubers in their pots, most of them have eyes, some above the surface now.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

That's so great!

I've also got some news. I have shoots emerging from the ground already from Poochella's amazing dahlia shipment. Here's the evidence. I guess that rain Friday and Saturday, followed by high 70s weather was something it couldn't resist.

Thumbnail by drdon
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

and here's D. imperialis doing its' spring thing....The shoots are a little thicker than a half inch so you can see from last year's trunks how bloody huge the stems get on this giant dahlia.

hope everyone is well,
don

Thumbnail by drdon
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh! Little Rothsay Reveler! It's so cute as a Californian! I'm going to run out and check my D Imperialis now.

Okay, it's still cold and wet and doing nothing. Can you hear Daisyruffles snickering? LOL It has hailed here 3 days running- not very hospitable dahlia weather. Give me until early May for a sprout and I hope to deliver my own photo then.

Don, that expanse for dahlias is just most impressive. And I want to thank you for sending so many wood shavings as packing. I have sent them to all corners of the country as lining for boxes of my own tubers, so they went for a good cause. Very handy indeed.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Poochella,

We're a horse ranch....Shavings we have....lol. And yes, poop...lol.

I'm jazzed to see eyes on BAW. I'll be dividing BAY this winter for you guys and hopefully will have D. palmeri and D. excelsa to share with you. But for now I'm just as excited as I can be about the Washington Connection garden. It's about 1000 sqft of space I kind of saved for dahlias and salvias. Now it appears that it will be dahlias and two or three salvias....lol.

Grateful to know you guys,
don

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

SNICKERING................. all the way to the bank, hehehehehe
Yes, I went outside today after work and looked at mine. Is getting bigger very slowly but getting bigger! Nothing like Don's but is growing slowly..............
But yes, we have had hail here too, Annie. So nasty rainy, windy, and COLD!!!
But it is to be nice tomorrow.
My Thomas Edison is really coming up now. Can't believe it!

Don, 1000 sq' just for the WA conn. and salvias? Sounds great to me.

LOL on the shavings. Always recycling, right, Annie.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya daisyruffles,

I still don't have shoots from many of my established ones, including Thomas Edison, which was the only name I remembered. I kind of like making up my own names for them. Yet out of respect, I've labeled all of the ones that Poochella sent. I do have two favorite names though. The one she labeled 'Not Gerry'...I thought that was pretty funny and I wondered how Gerry felt about it...lol. The other I read off of the tuber and although on the enclosed sheet it said Blackberry Ripple, I read '85 Ripple' off the tuber and thought, woohoo! vintage....I don't know how many here are old enough to remember the favorite fortified wine of winos in the 70s, but '85 Ripple is Blackberry Ripple's new name...lol.

best,
don

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

OMG, I remember Ripple from the late 60's. 99 cents a bottle. Strawberry Ripple and that other fine wine-- Boonesfarm. Here we go down memory lane. Nasty headache time..... How 'bout Thunderbird, made even more famous by Bob Seger's old time Rock n Roll.
Back on topic---the baggie sprouting experiment is far out pacing anything in pots/jugs. And it sure takes up a lot less room.

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

I remember that old Redd Foxx show Sanford and Son and he was always talking about Ripple. I used to see it at the stores and wondered. I only wondered once, you are right grannymarsh, the headache was unforgettable...lol.

The baggie thing seems economically feasible as well. No broken glass or broken toes from dropping a jug on a foot....lol.

best,
don

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

POOCH had her baggie OPEN. After placing the tuber in the bag, do you close it tight??, tiny bit open, half open, fully open......Just wondering.

Regards,
bluelytes

PS Is there a reasoning behind the baggie trick, or is it just to get the dahlias growing a bit faster??

Beachwood, OH

I'm giving up and going to the bags today Poochella. I've had my tubers from last year in a warm sunny window in pots for a month and only 2 have sprouted. I've also lost 3 that just dessicated away!

On the other hand I'm wondering if Mother nature knows whats best.

On the other hand I WS'd dahlias and those seedlings are looking very good, totally uncovered for 2 weeks now outside at night in the 40's - talk about hardened off.

When these fellas go outside I'm going to have to water something really unappealing into them to deter the raccoons. I used an 'organic' bulb dust last year that had garlic powder and blood meal in it. My local expert nursery sold it as an antifungal in place of the rat poison they used to sell. And the coons are getting very saucy - last night one was up on my deck to get an orange one of the kids had left out and he would not leave despite my clapping and yelling. That big old hat-to-be just sat there and looked at me.

Last year every dahlia that I bought from one nursery in GA I think had that garlic based dust on it and the coons just went wild tearing up the containers till every last tuber was destroyed. Very very very unhappy :(

BTW I lightly watered all my tubers from last year with [email protected] solution and several have rooted with no eyes. I think the [email protected] helped.

Centerville, UT(Zone 6a)

Okay, I'll bite. What is [email protected]?

I googled it and came up with a rock group and an age prevention system. I could be wrong but I really don't think these will help tubers. LOL. Although some tubers might appreciate some get-up-and-go music or some wrinkle alleviation, what we need are eyes and sprouts.

alyics, please enlighten those of us who need it.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

You guys are all up really late or early!

Bluelytes- The baggie thing was passed on by a dahlia fan who uses it to get her tubers started showing eyes or sprouting. The baggies are left open or you'll have too much moisture accumulating inviting mold or rot. Here, they're crammed together in a deep window sill or on a table nearby, the bag tops sometimes get folded over, especially the gallon size. I just check them every morning, rearrange bag tops and squirt water in if more moisture is needed, open them wide if too much condensation has formed. It's working wonders so far. If you've got a lifeless tuber to start with, nothing is going to work though. Even the commercial growers can make a mistake guessing at an eye.

Alyrics, you might not have had eyes on the non-sprouters. Are you keeping the soil in the pots a little dampish? Some thin tubers will just dry out and blow away, unless they get planted just right: too much water, they rot; too little they dry up. I've got one skinny little monster from the Dahlia Association sale that I want so badly to grow, in a baggie. There are pompons (real ones, not dahlias) nearby in a box and I'm not above putting them to use to cheer the little fellow on to grow LOL.

I believe I recall your organic bulb dust discussion, Alyrics. Saucy racoons need to be faced head on with this little tactic placed on your head or strategically placed as a garden adornment!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8276630262&category=105398#ebayphotohosting

As wilderness-y as our yard is here, in 16 years we've only had one racoon that we know of: crawled right into my 'kitty corral' and was mad as heck he couldn't get out again easily. It's a shame the little monsters tore up your garlic dahlias. Same thing happened to me the year I used bone meal- except it was dogs that did the digging.

I'm with Jolene, is [email protected] H2O2 peroxide?

Thumbnail by Poochella
Beachwood, OH

Sorry I meant H2O2 - its a dilute solution of hydrogen peroxide. It's supposed to encourage oxygen uptake by the roots and stimulate growth, as well as kill or discourage fungal infection. That should make it good for seedlings.

From memory... I found the following in my WS containers - in general the annuals didn't like it and the perennials, esp those with fleshy roots did. The dahlias did like it quite a bit. I sort of eyeballed the dilution ratio. There are some who use 1 Tbsp to a gallon of water, some who use 1 tsp to a quart, some who use a 1:20 and some who use a 1:10 ratio. I used approximately a 1:20 ratio which may be too strong for some seedlings. Although the dahlias, delphiniums, sweet williams, polyanthus primroses, nepeta, and violas greened up and grew immediately, I killed some poppies, Shasta Alaska and seem to have halted or damaged purple and sweet basil - they still have not made true leaves yet - altho that could be the oustide temps as they are uncovered. Interestingly, the cilantro seemed to like it a lot.

I can't locate the thread - have to run - but here is a little bit of info
http://www.agriorganics.com/products/hydrogen_peroxide.html

People are using it to soak seeds to improve germination, and also to water seedlings to prevent damping off.

Beachwood, OH

thats a might skinny raccoon!!!! The one I had in front of me last night was so fat he could only waddle. They raid my bird feeders so I have to bring them all in every night. He was mad at me apparently because I had tossed boxes on the deck to take to a new lasagna garden and he ripped them all up in little pieces. Weird raccoons. I think he also urinated somewhere in the yard because it was a bit odiferous this morning. He must be a boar coon in rut marking his territory.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey, guys, raccoons are very brave. In the old house I lived in, the raccoons would just sit there and stare at you. You had to go outside with a broom to really touch them with it to get them to disappear. Nasty little buggers!
As for the hydrogen peroxide, it works wonders on getting seeds going in pots by watering from below. I used it this year to get petunias, snapdragons, and some other top soil sown seeds and they didn't get dampening off at all. I have never used it for tubers tho.
The baggie idea works well with me too. I do put some into soil too. But hate to pot up so many that don't have eyes so just lay/stick them in flats of soil tho.
Nice pic of coon, Annie! Am surprised that you don't have more in the woods you live in tho.
Carol

Beachwood, OH

Buy it now for only $65? Are they completely nuts?

How about I get my son and his newly minted interest in Indian ways, to make a bow and arrow, shoot a few, skin them and stake the skins out in the yard. that might discourage them. I can just hear the howls of protest now from PETA. We have coyote, coons, opossums, skunks, hawks, great horned owls, and about 14 miles away last year there were 6 black bear sightings. Just so long as none of them get rabies we can all live in peace.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

ALYRICS, Ummm, I must take offense at your PETA crack, that is NOT true, as I AM a member of PETA.

Regards;
Bluelytes

PS. Ummmm, PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals, does it not?? Hmmmm

Beachwood, OH

bluelytes - way OT, but I would have thought PETA would find the idea of shooting a raccoon and staking its hide out in the yard offensive, even as a really bad joke. I wasn't serious you know, my son is too young and wouldn't hurt anything intentionally. But back to kidding around - don't you think $65 for a coonskin cap is a bit pricey? Who would want a coon head hanging over their face anyway? - yuck. I mean I can definitely see how the pioneers needed to create clothing to stay warm, but these days it doesn't seem necessary for the average eBay user unless they are using so much electricity running the computer they can't keep the house warm.

alyrics

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

ALYRICS,
Note my PS at the end of my post, lol. Who CARES WHAT PETA finds offensive, NOT ME!! lol 65?? OMG, WHERE!! Thats CHEEP!!, well, only if its a REAL one, and actually, the face is on your forehead when you wear it. You much be too young to have watched daniel boone / davy crocket on TV, lol

Best Regards;
bluelytes

Beachwood, OH

Ha! Thats where you are wrong! I grew up on Fess Parker and Old Yeller, Gunsmoke, Festus, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. Not to mention Tonto and Kemosabi. I even saw the first time the Beatles were on TV - and remember it. Diana Ross was my idol - I always wanted thin arms. Nancy Sinatra - those charming white go-go boots with the tassles are made for walkin?

Soo - friends for life? I thought I had hit the PC button when you replied. Ya had me confused for a while. I am SO relieved!!!!

If you knew how I had to fight to keep my mouth shut when a woman PETA member actually moved into the town next to us so she could fight that city on reducing their deer population. It was absurd. They had undisputed helicopter counts of 50 deer per acre - yes folks, per acre in the city limits. There was an average of 1 deer hit and killed on the roads per week in the city limits for 5 years. There were traffic fatalities due to deer crossing the roads. One might say the city was over run with them. This one woman stopped the city for 4 years by bringing lawsuit after lawsuit saying the deer had a right to live. Which of course is true - but there is a limit to everything. I don't know the exact cost of fighting her lawsuits but I heard it ran into the hundreds of thousands over the 4 years. I'd be one ticked off taxpayer. When it was all over and she lost, she sold her house and moved again.

Oh well, back to dahlias and raccoon hats.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Sadly Alyrics I must report that my brother would go absolutely beserk, totally mad and make me sole beneficiary of his scanty estate if I gave him that racoon hat for his upcoming birthday. He thinks he IS Fess Parker and Daniel Boone! Quite an eccentric character, one might say. I remember the Beatles on Ed Sullivan too- quite an event.

That deer thing is so bizarre. 50 per acre in city limits! I don't like to see animals shot, but my husband assures me it's for the overall betterment of their life, avoiding starvation from overpopulation etc. Where did the one woman pro-deer force get all her dough to support the lawsuits?

Beachwood, OH

Remember the signs going down the road that said " The Beatles are Coming" ? And then Ed Sullivan announced that this was not a bug but a rock group from Liverpool. I think they played 'I Wanna Hold your Hand'. If only I could get my hair in those cute pigtails again - ha!

I don't know if she personally received money but it was reported in the papers that the attorneys were from PETA. It was a hot topic in our little burg last year.

Not only was Daniel Boone one of my favorite TV shows when I was a kid, I've introduced my kids to the 3 Davy Crockett movies that starred Fess Parker from the 60's. My son can't get enough of it. Tom Sawyer is next.

Does this sound silly or what? I watered all my dahlia tubers very well and set them out for the day. I think they actually plumped up.

Centerville, UT(Zone 6a)

Oh, girls. Now you've got me going thru so many memories! I believe Fess was my first crush! Followed by Dr. Kildare. Silly me.

Beachwood, OH

I took a cruise with my mother a few years ago and Consuelo from Marcus Welby, M.D. was our dinner tablemate all thru the week. She was a hoot.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, I had a big crush on Fess Parker too. I also remember riding around on my tricycle while I waited for my mother to call me in to watch the very first episode of Howdy Doody!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Jolene, you keep your wandering eyes off Dr Kildare- he's mine! I carefully typed him a fan letter when I was 7 or 8 professing my undying enchantment with his good looks and manners. My sister who found the letter will still tease me about it to this day, if I remind her LOL. I don't.

Cruisin' with Consuelo. How cool is that? I think Fess Parker caught my youthful eye too. Oh the confessions are endless....

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

You were typing at the age of 7? A child genius......

Beachwood, OH

Davey from the Monkees was my crush. My sister liked the tall thin one.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Don't even bring up Davey! LOL!!!!!! I forgot about him.

No genius Candy, very late last child of a newspaper owning Dad. Everybody types in my family. I typed up a storm as a youngster to entertain myself while the sibs were in school. "Dear Dr. Kildare......" LOL! Still remember going to the newspaper when they used a monster machine called the LinoType that made lines of lead molds of what you typed. ( What would OSHA say about the lead content nowdays?) Those lines o' type were set into wood frames, ink rolled on, and voila- a newspaper was printed. Delivered quite a few of those suckers in my day too... Before retiring my Dad was one of the first small papers in the state to go 'computerized' and I recall being completely amazed then by the ability to tell a machine to type in different fonts, sizes, etc That was in the 70's! How time flies...

Back to the baggie thing: I'm raising my right filthy,dirty hand and swearing by it to start slow tubers. One of the tubers I bought at the PSDA sale was slow to show eyes. I put it in a baggie of damp soil two days ago, plunked it on a black 'boom box' in the sun outside the garage. Between the heat, the sun, and the moisture it is showing an eye today. Darn efficient.

Beachwood, OH

You KNOW it was the boom box. Don't give us this baggie story Poochella - we know you've been holding out on us all this time!

Chicago, IL

:-) Yeah. The boom box. :-D

I was rather stubborn and didn't put mine in baggies at first. I potted them. When Pooch went on and on about the baggie thing, I thought why not.... ... so I slipped all the tubers, pot and all in a plastic bag. They are showing eyes right and left. LOL. Next year I'll just bag them like Pooch said and do away with pots. :-)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Alyrics what I listen to on the radio would put any dahlia straight to sleep! I think it was heat, heat, heat sitting on that hot black plastic.

I had plenty of luck in pots too Nai, but for those slow ones, the baggies are so flexible and easy. If you get a shoot developed you can just pot up that dahlia, if you want, cross off the name and replace it with another one that's disappointingly slow. No matter what I try, I cannot get Hamilton Lillian to sprout and am wondering if the thingy I've been watching is really not an eye at all.

Does anyone grow or know if Hamilton Lillian is very slow to start?

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Annie, I ordered Hamilton Lillian this year and it has sprouted with no problem.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Well Candy, you lucky dog! I eyeballed mine as well as I could this a.m. and think I see a hint of pink/purple on the nurdle I think is supposed to be an eye. Even the baggie thing isn't helping it out. You know what that means?

Hamilton Lillian's heading for the boombox LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.