Please Welcome a new recruit: Pitimpinai!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

To add to the dahlia fiends and friends here, I hope you will welcome Pitimpinai who is a most excellent gardener and supreme floral arranger! She has shown time and again that she knows a thing or two about flowers and about cramming every possible living thing into her beautiful yard!

Welcome, Pitimpinai- we look forward to seeing the fruits of your labors and hearing how your dahlias grow.
Pooch

Thumbnail by Poochella
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome to Dave's. Hope you have a great time here. Lots of intelligent and kind people on board !!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Welcome to Dave's Garden!

Glad you came here to join us.

Al

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Ah Pitimpinai, Good to see you
Welcome to the forum! Pooch was right ,a supreme floral arranger. Take a look........

Thumbnail by willow22552
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Ooh that is one of the best ones Willow, great choice. I'd love to see that on my kitchen counter, only there'd be 5 cats batting at the tallest grass fronds LOL.

Chicago, IL

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so very much for the warm welcome. Many thanks to Poochella for making this happen. It sounds so much fun already. It's like a breath of fresh air for me.

Thank you, willow, for remembering that photo. Hmm. That was last fall. Last spring I was dithering about where to order Dahlia and which ones. You folks have any of those in the photo? The top lilac one is Lavid from Corallitos, the middle one is Remmel Mountain (sp.?) from Connell's or was it Camano??, and tada.... the bottom ones are Karma Sangria..... Gorgeous, huh? :-) The Karma was a great producer. I cut and cut and cut. There were still many buds when frost hit. :-)

Eureka, CA

Welcome Pitimpinai!! You'll find a wonderful group of folks here, not just at the Dahlia forum, but at all of Dave's Garden!!

Sanna

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Glad to see you, Pitimpinai (I may have to give you a nickname - for some reason I am having a hard time keying Pitimpinai. LOL). I hope you will give some tips on flower arranging - your arrangements are gorgeous. All I know how to do is cut 'em and stick 'em in a vase. Do you have a link to pictures of more of your arrangements? I would love to see them.

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Yeah, can we call you Piti or your real name? Pit, is rather abrupt. You tell us your preference Pitimpinai- and I know that means something wonderful; tell us what it translates to again and what to call you for short.

Candy, I get shivers everytime I see that bouquet of colors: and little Kingston! So cute! And the pink ruffly one to its left..... Ah, how I wish it were August.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, welcome, Pitimpinai.
That sure is a nice bouquet. I am just like Candy, I like to cut and toss into a vase and look at all the nice flowers. LOL
Hope to see what dahlias you have growing in Chicago.
Carol

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

hiya Pitimpinai,

Welcome to the neighborhood! Nice to meet you.

Hope to see a bunch of you as your collection begins to show off this summer.

best,
don

Thumbnail by drdon
Aptos, CA

Ditto Piti!

Welcome aboard...Hope to see lot'sa of picture of your arrangements!!

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hello and welcome aboard! You guys ever seen the movie Pay It Forward. That's what I love about Dave's - so easy to Pay It Forward and share the fun!

Have fun!
Mina

Delhi, IA

Hi from ne Iowa. Arrangments is something I really have to learn. Yours look so neat. Welcome to the forum.

Green Bay, WI

Welcome PIT - I just joined in March so I am having fun just reading tips and clues

Chicago, IL

Hiya, everyone & thanks. I am loving being here already. What a wonderful gift from Pooch or should I say another gift?

Pitim or Pinai is a ok. Both are my pet names. :-P
Pi (pronounced "P") means an older sibling - since I am long in the tooth. LOL So actually you can call me Tim or Nai. I like them both.
Hmmm. Sudhira sounds mighty familiar. :-)

I love to stick flowers in a simple glass or jar just like yours. How pretty and natural looking. That's what I do at home. This year I take a lot of flowers to work. I stick them in vases & jars and place them all on top of the cabinet. Make the workplace look very cheerful.

Here are some more arrangements. I need to upload more to photobucket:
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/pitimpinai/My%20Flower%20Arrangements%20Attempts/

I might post more here later.

Those large arrangements are for a Buddhist temple. I do them in exchange of the use of its land.... sort of a lease. Tee heee hee. That's where all my extra plants go. LOL. I really don't know much about arrangements. I just borrow books from the library. I also bought a few that I like. I want bold and bright arrangements. I prefer to make an asymmetrical arrangement. I think it gives a flowing effect - sorta. People said I arrange flowers the same way I plant them in the garden - all mixed up and jam packed. LOL You should see my garden. I can't set foot anywhere without stepping on something. :-P

I have been making those arrangements for about two years now - three large ones every Friday & additional ones for big events at least once or twice a month. I am still learning. Sometimes the arrangements come off well. Other times, not so. Let's learn together. How about giving me suggestions how an arrangement could have been done differently to make it look better? Yeah, how about a thread on arrangements?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh no, I don't think we need any more arrangement talk! Those are drop dead gorgeous. I have to ask: number 8 of 15 at the photbucket link-- how on earth did you get the swirling "S" of the flowers? I know you said you use Oasis, but those are just incredible!

Those are simply stunning Nai! Beautiful, beauties! I hope your efforts are appreciated by all who visit your temple.

Mvespa: Pay It Forward is a wonderful movie- great concept and message; one of our favorites here.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Pitim,

Thanks for the link. I loved looking at your arrangements - gorgeous!! I have some questions....

I have never seen balloon flower used as a cut flower. It is stunning. Does it require any special conditioning?

In picture #8 the autumn crocus is so beautiful. I have never seen it used as a cut flower either. And the curving arrangements on either side - WOW! How did you do that?

Picture #10 - what is the name of the dahlia in the center? The large pink one?

Picture #14 - what is the name of the cactus type dahlia that is pink and yellow?

Just so you know....there will probably be more pop quizzes every time you post pictures of arrangements. LOL

Here's an arrangement made from flowers snapped off by a thunderstorm. The lilies had been between 7' and 8' tall until the wind broke several feet off. How do you stake 8' tall trumpet lilies? Answer: you don't. At least I don't. I can't reach higher than about 6 1/2'.

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Centerville, UT(Zone 6a)

Welcome, Pinai. These are beautiful! And do you grow all these flowers in your garden? You are one amazing artist! I'll look forward to seeing more of your arrangements.

Hooks, TX

NoH2O.
I bought tubers this year that supposed to look like the
cactus dahlia in Picture #14. The name of mine is
Nenekazi. I hope the bloom lives up to it's photo on
the package.

Louise

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Louise, I have seen pictures of Nenekazi and have it on my wish list (along with about 100 other dahlias LOL). So many dahlias, so little space. **Sigh**

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Candy, there is always room for another dahlia! You know that, LOL. Just cram it in.......
Carol

Chicago, IL

Hi,
Pooch will have to put up with these arrangement talks now. LOL. Sorry about that. :-) Come to think of it, you actually started it. :-P

Thanks, Everyone, for the comments.

Candy, that is a sumptuous bouquet you've got there. Stunning. A 7-8' Lily? Which one is that? I used to have an orange tiger that tall, but I stepped on its shoot by accident. Sigh.... I am hoping that one day some of my trumpets will be that tall. I received 4 huge Scherazade late last fall. I planted them very deep. Haven't seen any shoot. They'd better not freeze or I will be very mad at this trader who shipped them so late I had to dig under the snow to plant them.

Re the S curve, I don't know how the Japenese do it. Supposedly they use the warmth of their hands to curve a twig. I have not been able to bend any twig then make it stay curved, so I just choose a vine or a stem that is already curved to use as the backbone. Then add flowers and stems. Not all of them are curved, but if staggered, they give you an illusion of a curve. Sometimes I use a fishing line to hold the stems in place too.

Colchicum does not last long in oasis, but holds itself very well in water. Very pretty, huh? The pink laciniated Dahlia in the middle of #10 is Marvelous Mans. The pink/yellow cactus in #14 is Karma Sangria late in the season. The sun was already low on the horizon so the colors were less vibrant.

Jolene, yes, I grow all of those flowers at the temple. I planted so many things that usually we don't have to buy any flowers from April through October/Mid November.

The balloon flower lasts very well in oasis. I tried to singe the stem, but it never worked. I just let them sit it warm water for a while. I really am annoyed by any milky sap, but a lot of the flowers are just too pretty to exclude from arrangements.

Carol, how close can you cram them together? An inquring and greedy mind wants to know. :-)

This arrangement was made from bought flowers:

Thumbnail by Pitimpinai
Chicago, IL

Carol, I just read the thread on spacing. Hmmmm. I am tempted. :-)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, I just planted some tubers today in the sunshine and wind. I did plant a lot of them close together. I have new bed behind but don't want to get into it right now. Doesn't have good mulch on it yet and probably won't until the fall.
But they have air in the front and back tho. So....
Carol

Beachwood, OH

HI Pitimpinai - welcome to DG! What a gorgeous variety of dahlias you are growing in Chi-town. Looking forward to hearing more about it this summer!

Chicago, IL

Thanks, alyrics. I just got started last year. Thanks to Pooch, my collection is growing. I wish I had more room to grow them all. :-)

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Hello Pinai!!

Nice to see you here! Your arrangements are gorgeous. I do remember seeing them, but didn't remember that they were your photos. If these are your arrangements, I can only imagine what your garden looks like!

Looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

Thanks!
:)
Dee

Chicago, IL

Ah ha! Hi Dee, Am I glad to see you here!
Now, you are asking. And I love to show off my garden. Today a respondent from Freecycles came for plants. Boy was I happy. I love to show off and share plants. LOL.

Carol, I have not planted my Dahlias yet. I still don't trust the weather. I had to move all my Dahlias into the garage on Tuesday because the temp dropped. Whooey it tied the records low of 30F with windchill in the 20's. They are back on the sidewalk now. Shouldn't drop below 40, I hope.

Here's my front yard last fall, Dee:

Thumbnail by Pitimpinai
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, what a front yard!!!
Looks beautiful!
If you get that low of temps, I wouldn't plant either. So hope you get to plant soon tho.
Carol

Chicago, IL

Thanks, Carol.
Here's another angle of the front yard:

Thumbnail by Pitimpinai
Chicago, IL

Have I shown off this arrangement?

Thumbnail by Pitimpinai
Chicago, IL

And this one?

Chicago, IL

Sorry, my finger went too fast on the mouse:

Thumbnail by Pitimpinai
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Another knockout. What roses are those? They are gorgeous.

Chicago, IL

Thank you, NoH2O. That rose was bought from Cosco, I believe. I don't know its name. Sorry.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Pinai, it seems you have a mix of sun and shade plants there. Am I correct in assuming you have half sun/half shade in that area? And what is that purple bloomer?

Your walkway is gorgeous. You sure do have a green thumb!

:)
Dee

Chicago, IL

Hi Dee,
Thank you, Dee. Yes, that spot in front of my house receives about 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. of afternoon sun in summer. That's why the hostas got a bit of sunburn. The purple bloomer is an Aster novi-belgii - a New York Aster. I bought it a long time ago. It did not have a variety name on it.

My front yard is getting shadier since the trees on the parkway are growing quite big now. I think, though, that one of the tree is dying. If it does die, this spot and particularly the spot in the next photo will be greatly affected. I have tried for years to get this effect. I'll take a new photo tomorrow. It's looking very pretty right now.

Thumbnail by Pitimpinai
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

You have created a lovely front yard, lots of texture and interesting plants/leaves/flowers to look at. I'm sure that all your neighbors enjoy it also.
Marsha

Chicago, IL

Thank yo, granny. The majority of neighbors, especially newcomers like it very much. Only a couple old stalwarts definitely don't. They are very much stuck with their Chemlawn or other lawn services who use something of the same nature. Every once in a while my eyes would tear horribly. Someone must have applied chemicals on his lawn nearby. What a shame. The city of Chicago is encouraging its citizens to change their gardening habits, though. I think the idea is slowly taking roots. I am seeing more and more plants in front yards besides a few shrubs and grass.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.