tacca, bat flower

Lone Oak, TX

Hello,

Can anybody help me with finding this plant? thank you.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Are you talking about bat faced cuphea?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Try Park's! I just last week received a specialty catalog in which it is featured. Wow - it is beautiful and exotic. I've been tempted to try it, but I've read that it can be very finicky about blooming, and my "green thumb" is too often just a sickly chartreuse. I had another link re bat flower a couple of years ago. If I find it again, I'll edit this post. Yuska

The other source I was thinking about is sleepyoaks, but when I checked just now, he isn't selling them anymore.

This message was edited Apr 21, 2006 1:37 PM

This message was edited Apr 21, 2006 6:11 PM

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

If you're looking for bat-faced cuphea, try Schumacher's nursery in New Braunfels. I think it's also called Bob's Hill Country Nursery. Or the Antique Rose Emporium in San Antonio.

Lone Oak, TX

Hello Yuska,

thank you for the info. I checked their website and found that they have both the maroon and white. So, I ordered one of each @ $14.95/ea. They are going to be shipped within the next 10 days. Too bad, these are bulbs and not plants.

Yes, I read the "sleepyoak website" and felt bad that he decided not to sell that anymore. Very nice of him to leave all the information on the web, though.

If you find another source of PLANT (not bulb) please let me know and thank you again.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I see them every year in the local nurseries quite a bit--but usually later (June-on). Check your local private owned nurseries a little later in the summer after the spring "rush" is over...that price seems kinda high to me....
Deb

Dallas, TX

Thompson & Morgan carry the seeds. I would love to have it too, but i am not a seed person, dont have the patience. One DGer in Pakistan grows it, but I dont remember who.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Should have thought of this earlier! I looked in Plant Scout for Tacca and found Eldon Accessories - http://www.eldonaccess.com/ - offering plants. The company has a good rating in Watchdog.
Yuska

Lone Oak, TX

Yuska,

thank you again. I went to that website and they have both the black and white tacca in 4" pots. The white one is cheap $14.50/ea, the black one is $30/ea. She said the black one takes almost two years to germinate, while the white one about 8-9 mos.

She also has gorgeous tropical palms, esp. the licuala, which I ordered,too.

I am now awaiting my plants with great anxiety, wondering whether I can actually grow them. After reading all the trouble "Sleepyoaks" had to go through, one can't help but being apprehensive. Wish me luck. I'll post whatever result I get. Thanks again.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I do indeed wish you luck. My sense of adventure is nudging me now to take the risk also. Will have to ponder the choices. Who needs to go to Vegas to gamble...when there are such thrills to be experienced at home?

You should have no problem growing it...it always did good for me, I just didn't have any last year. I think it froze on me the winter before when I was in the hospital...but it was in a pot.

Lone Oak, TX

Hello dmj1218,

thank you for the reply. The reason for my concern is all the info on "Sleepy Oaks" website. Have you looked at that site? If not please go to www.sleepyoaks.com. Share with me your opinion.

This site is down....What could possibly be alarming about bat faced cuphea? If you wait till it gets a little furthur into the season--all types of cupheas are easy to find in nurseries...what state is sleepy oaks located in? It's really an easy plant to grow if that's the plant you are referring too.
Debbie

This message was edited Apr 26, 2006 7:46 PM

Lone Oak, TX

Hello Debbie,

that's just it. I am not looking for bat-faced cuphea, I am looking for TACCA, the bat flower (see above). Yuska directed me to two sources, of which I am most grateful.

If you are interested this is the link http://www.sleepyoaks.com/tacca_chantrieri_bat_plant.htm

Do take a look. It is quite an interesting plant.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

sitabrothers, how goes the tacca experience? I just got a message from rareflora that the black tacca is available - 4 inch pot for $12. Yuska

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Are you looking for Tacca nivea (bat lily)? You might check the tropical forum. Someone posted a pic there of his. He could possibly be a good source.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks! I'll look for the posting.

Lone Oak, TX

Hello Yuska,

sorry for not replying right away as I was busy with cleaning my greenhouse. Yes, yes, I did buy 4 taccas, 2 in 4" pots and 2 rhizomes. They were doing fine until temperature reached above 95. I had several weeks of 100-115F, and to my surprise very low humidity. At around 10 am, humidity got as low as 11-16%. I thought my place was hot and humid, but it is actually "very hot and DRY".

I followed growing instructions of bat flower suggested by "sleepyoaks". The only thing I didn't check was my humidity. I think the very high temperature and the very low humidity killed all the plants. I tried the tray with pebbles and water and also putting them in bathroom, nothing helps. Maybe, by the time I realized the problem, it was just too late to rescue them. If you are interested in growing this plant please check this link: www.sleepyoaks.com When you get there, type "tacca" in the search column. You will find an article called "Growing Bat Plant" and many, many pictures.

Yes, I did get e-mail from RareFlora about some more tacca, but I am not going to get it right now. I am going to order some more in the spring, and be better prepared to take care of this plant. I have a spare 12x10 greenhouse that hasn't been used for years, which I can put a misting system in and dedicate it to growing tacca and similar plants.

A lady DGer, who manages not only to grow but also to propagate tacca, agreed with me that my main problem was the humidity. She lives in Texas, somewhere by the coast I believe, and she said her place was "hot and humid". That's the key to growing tacca. You have to give it the correct environment and "very hot and dry" certainly doesn't suit the plant.

Sorry the experiment didn't go well, but I hope to have better luck next time. Wish me luck and thank you for taking interest in my endeavour.

Sita

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.