Gardening with Texas Native Plants & Wildflowers, part 11.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

This thread is continuation of parts 10- 9- 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

To reach the other theads click on this link http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/566495/

Hello Everyone,

The people on this thread are interested in discussion, seed and plant trading, and learning in general about native plants and wildflowers.

We are dedicated to plant conservation and love to demomstrate what can be done with the native plants that have been ignored by the nurseries in favor of the exotics. Many of the plants in our yards are native and we are always looking to improve. We are sure there are others out there doing the same thing and loving it as much as we do. Please let us talk about what you are doing and what you have accomplished.

We hope to hear from all you dedicated gardeners. Let us have some fun.

Sincerely, Josephine.

Well, I guess I will start with the wildflower slope as it was an early May.

A view from yhe other side.

A patch of Oxeye daysies.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful daisies Josephine. Thanks for the pics. Did you have the usual turnout of wildflowers this year that you have gotten in past years? My mother has an open lot behind her house that always is full of wildflowers in the spring. This year they just didn't come out. Is that another sad sign of drought?

Hello ms-merae. The flowers on our slope are allways different, no matter how I try to have a certain look or design, they do what they want, so all I can do is take care of them and let them do their thing.
I have noticed that this year there have been very few bluebonetts, but the primroses have been very nice.
Here is a nice patch of Yarrow.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Well guys I have a bunch to post of pics from my field... I have the names all written down but not with me soooooo if you want to know what it is I can track it down.

Josephine - I was able to dig 2 foot deep and move one of the milkweed - I left a ton of dirt still on it and it moved fine, it is still a baby and should be ok and bloom next year!!

1. Black Eyed Susan

This message was edited May 10, 2006 5:37 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

2 Queen Annes Lace

This message was edited May 10, 2006 5:38 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

3 Cedar Sage

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

4 Blanket Flower

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

5 Correct me Josephine but I think this is Antalope Milkweed

This message was edited May 10, 2006 5:39 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

6 Sorry non native - but I found this on the native rack oh well... bad pic to boot! Bulbine frutescens

This message was edited May 10, 2006 5:40 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

7 Texas Yellow Star (Lindheimera texana).

This message was edited May 10, 2006 5:41 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

8 Non Native I found in the field growing... had to go to the ID forum - Linaria purpurea

This message was edited May 10, 2006 5:42 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

9 Physalis unsure what one..

This message was edited May 10, 2006 5:43 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

10 Gaura lindheimeri

This message was edited May 10, 2006 5:43 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

11 Glandularia bipinnatifida - I think.

This message was edited May 10, 2006 5:44 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

12 Tick Seed

This message was edited May 10, 2006 5:44 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

13 Another Blanket flower

So I got to them all before anyone asked! Not bad flower hunting for one afternoon right?

This message was edited May 10, 2006 5:45 PM

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Josephine, thank you so much for starting the new thread!

Mitch, I thought bulbine is a native.

I saw something coming up in one of my beds and waited to see what it turned out to be. Queen Anne's Lace! It's very pretty, and I noticed that the very center of each flower (or collection of tiny fowers that make up one flower?) is one tiny flower that is a deep purple. Very interesting!

Do blackfoot daisies need to be cut back during the growing season to encourage more blooms, a bushier habit? This is just the second year for mine, the "creeping" year.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

IS it!! Where I looked up it said South Africa... Josephine do you know?

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes mine are in the "creeping year" too. They look so good next to the rosemary. Do you think it's ok to have them growing next to a rose though? I don't know if it's an antique or not, but it is a very hardy one.

I have bulbine too. I don't think it's native in zone 8a, because mine froze one year and I had to replace it.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I worried about that... might just have to try to dig it up and keep it in the house. Love the flowers.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Several nurseries in Houston and the surrounding area that are known for natives call bulbine a TX native.

Hmmm... I googled and found several references that said it is NOT a TX native, but is adapted. Darn! I first looked at it strictly because I thought it was a native, and I've been counting it as a native in my garden.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

That is the way they sold it here - under Texas Natives.... but for a buck what can I say?

I wonder where it is native? It certainly likes the heat.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I got a native fall blooming aster (please don't make me look up the spelling-lol) you know, something oblonfourus? that has decided that now is the time to bloom? What's up with that? Perhaps decent spring rains for a change?

And now that I'm done "ranting" thanks for the new thread Josephine!

Debbie

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

South Africa from what I found.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Our Texas Sage is blooming very nicely right now. I tried to get a close up picture of the blooms, but they all came out fuzzy. I'll get my DH to do it tomorrow. :-)

Look's fantastic to me Marylyn, its huge! Here's my aster, bad pic...getting late and wants to storm (all around me anyway). I need a good rain to settle in those RU plants I got done on Sunday....but I am being careful what I ask for. The weather's been wild again today around the state, huh?

Think it has seasonal affective disorder or did we skip summer and no one told me?
Debbie

Mitch the cedar sage and antelope are beautiful....oh no, more plants I have to get, and ones that probably don't like Katy Prairie Clay either...lol

This message was edited May 10, 2006 8:05 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

They grow in my clay sooo dont be so sure. The milkweed is everywhere in the fields here so I will save you some seeds - send me a Dave mail to remind me in about 5 weeks and the first pods should be ready, I need to get some from Josephine anyway!

Wow! you guys have been busy while I was looking the other way.
Mitch, that was a wonderful catch you made in the field. Yes that is the Atelope horns milkweed, it sure is beautiful, and so are all the others, was the Cedar sage fron the field too? Sorry about the Bulbine, it grows well in texas but it is from Africa, but that is o.k.
It looks like you have been very busy, good for you Mitch.

Marylyn, your Texas sage looks great, I have one but it rarely blooms, I think it doesn't get enough sun.

Debbie, the Aster oblongifolious, is supposed to be a fall bloomer, but sometimes it will put out a flower here and there, some of mine have been doing that too, but just wait till september or october, they are amazing, totally covered with flowers.

Mary, yes it is fine to trim back the Blackfoot daisy if they seem to need it, that is another plant that I have'nt had much luck with, but I guess we all have our plusses and minusses.
Josephine.

Josephine--they are gorgeous in the fall. When do you do your last "shearing" before fall bloom? Mine are in a bed so I would like them a bit orderly, but don't want to disrupt the bloom cycle.

Mitch I would love to try the antelope milkweed seeds. Does it rebloom all summer like regular milkweed or only a spring bloomer?
Debbie

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Milkweed - I dont really know - this will be the first year for it in the garden but it does grow in the field...so I will keep a better eye.

Josephine - Nope the cedar sage from you loves it spot and is blooming!! I wish I could find cedar sage in the field.. no such luck but some stunning plants anyway!

Hello Mitch here is the Red Yucca you gave me, doing great!

Debbie these three blossoms fell of my Desert willow with the wind, so I thought it would be a good way to show you what yours will look like. Aren't they beautiful?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

No blooms here... maybe this summer i will see some on mine here too.

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Debbie, once the Antelope Horns is an established plant, it should bloom again after spring (I'm basing this on what I've seen in the wild). I think when it might bloom again mainly depends on rainfall in the wild, might be summer and fall both if it gets rain. I'm trying to establish some on my property, but they are still small..if the drought comes back they won't grow very well, because they are away from my yard, so watering would be a problem. BTW, I've got a number of Red Yucca plants lined up and blooming very well this year. The Hummingbirds can just fly from one to the next and so on down the line if they want to!

Very pretty Linda, this is the first year I have had the red Yucca.
Josephine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.