Dallas Plant Swap - Working out our date and place.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

CHANGED TO READ -

We have the date!! October 8th, 12 P.M. at the wildscape at Vetrans Park!!

Thanks everyone who helped this far - now to get out there and get this thing moving. I will start posting threads with all the info, plants we have to swap, food to bring, and help needed towards the middle to end of Aug so be on the look out!

Mitch

This message was edited Jul 20, 2006 5:44 PM

McKinney, TX(Zone 7b)

My vote is the last weekend of October. The 1st 3 weekends (Saturdays) are already filled with some kind of marching band competition. Sundays would be kinda rough for me. We don't usually get out of church until 12:30, followed by a long drive since I'm north of Plano.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I should add my vote here I guess - I love for the 28th at Kidville Park or Vetrans Park.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll be there, for sure, where ever you guys have it! :)

Oh...I'm so excited! I'll go to a Dallas swap anytime anyplace! Tell me where the good motels are close by, I'll just stay the weekend.

I vote Veteran's Park--Josephine's pics make me want to see it.

Now, who wants what plants where I can get started from seeds and cuttings? lol
Debbie

This message was edited May 15, 2006 9:10 PM

This message was edited May 15, 2006 9:12 PM

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Mitch, October 28th would be fine with me, but it just dawned on me that may be we better check with Dave first about the date for the College Station r.u. before we set a firm date.
Would you like to dmail Dave and ask about the date?
I think it would be prudent.
Josephine.

I was hoping for 2 DG swaps in Oct! :)

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I think starting with a mid October date would be good then if we needed to move it because of weather there would still be a couple of weeks. The weather usually changes suddenly around Halloween. I'll just plan for whatever gets the most votes.

Veteran's Park is fine with me BUT I don't want to drag things that far to the tables again. Any idea if there is an area with closer parking? What are the other parks like? A setup like Trinity would be nice where the tables are close and/or there is a shaded place near the cars.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Vetrans Park - here is the thought I had - lets do the plant swap in the parking lot there... I just do not want to head any farther west of Arlington! I will email Dave and see if he kows the date.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I understand, I wasn't suggesting Trinity, just using it as an example. Sorry, but if you know what Trinity is like you'd know why that's the perfect setup.

I'm not opposed to driving further east than Arlington but don't know anything about those other parks. The parking lot at Veteran's wasn't shaded either tho so I'm not real hip on that idea. Cement + sun = not too much fun.

Josephine, wasn't there another park you had suggested last year?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Alright after talking to the Great and Mighty and Powerful Dave one of the days in Early Oct would look like the best.... so what do you guys think?

Shade.... ummm good question there... so anyone know a good park in Dallas co or East Tarrent co that would have good shade?

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

White Rock Lake has many shady picnic areas. It's been a while since I have been out there, but I bet something could be found. Audubon Park in Garland is very nice and shady too, but that may not be central enough.

Mitch, do I understand you to say that Dave doesn't know what date he wants yet?
but he thinks it might be late October?
I will check around for other parks in Arlington, the nice thing about Veterans park is the large pavillions in case of rain, but the trek to the parking lot is not fun.
I would like it to be a place with cover in case of rain.
Josephine.

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

The pavilions at Veterans Park are lovely, but they're not only a long way from the parking lot, they're very uphill!

Everyone was very nice & helped me with my stuff last time, but I thought I was gonna die from heat exhaustion anyway, (& I'm even older nowthan I was then!)

& I'm with Paige about concrete & heat.
Just pour me onto that parking lot & fry me like an egg...

How about everyone posting their "home" location on here
& maybe we can map out a centralized target zone & go from there?

There are bound to be parks that we just aren't familiar with, & I bet Mapsco & Mapquest will show them.

sylvia

ps: Heritage Park in Ovilla is about 7 miles south of Interstate 20 on Cockrell Hill.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Sylvia - Great to see you on here again!!

Frostweed - No, not at all the Texas RU might be early Nov... All dates pending God and High Water but early Nov. I was thinking about giving people time between the two so early is better...

Park - I found a great park that might be great - Kiest Park in Dallas. I will look at the park for a good place if there is intrest... Hampton and Kiest in Dallas.

Mitch do you mean early for ours, like maybe September?

The timing sounds real good to me...I'll show up anywhere.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Early Oct would give us 4 or 5 weeks between the two - it will still be HOT but I was thinking of an early swap... (getting there that is!)

I am sorry i missunderstood, yes early October would be fine with me.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

What do you think of it in Dallas - at Kiest Park? Really close off 1-35 or 67

That would be fine, have you checked to see if there is some kind of cover?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I think so - all my kids at school have thier parties over there and there are TONS of trees... it is an older park... I will take a look and see what I can find. (Oh should add off of I20 take the Hampton exit and you will see it before long on the right.

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Just made a call:

Kiest Park Rec Center has a large room for $48 an hour & a small room for $22 an hour.
The picnic areas are $20 & $15 per hour, *with a 3 hour minimum!*

Aaack!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

They are free the way we do it! Just show up and find one not reserved - worked so far!

bumping here--I really like the time line ya'll are working with...with the last swap in Nov it won't seem quite so long until spring RU. I need help with motel reservations close by...food and stuff could be stored with me there. I plan to just "sit" in Dallas/surrounding area for 4-5 days and "see the sights"....

I'll help organize any way I can--I need lots of projects. Keeps me on an "even" keel and gives me a good excuse not to take on more projects at school--which I need to do. lol
Debbie

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

City Sylvia might be able to help the best there with hotels...

We will more then welcome the help! Please do . . . .

Josephine is it just me or was there not a table set up in the shade by the wild scape gardens at Vetrans park?

Glenn Hights park does have a HUGE covered area not to far from the parking...

Mitch I will check the tables at Veterans park tomorrow, and we shall see what we can figure out. It seems that we have a lot of good choices.
Josephine.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I think soo - I think we have some great choices and just know this year is going to be better then ever!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm still looking for a wagon, no matter what, lol!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

wagons out there would make anywhere good - a few good wagons and some trades in the parking lot would make even Vetrans park area we used last year work perfect.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

The only thing about trading in the parking lot, is that the plants will still need to be protected from the sun and heat. I won't put mine in the car and then let them bake, I've learned my lesson. So, I would still haul them around in my little wagon.

Can't wait 'till the grandgirl will want to be pulled around like Buela's plants.
:-)

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

You know I felt some in the car with the windows down and they did ok (looked wilted when I got home but all are growing now...

Mitch we went to veterans park this evening and found that there are 5 picnick tables under the trees by the playground just off the parking lot.
That is only a few yards from the cars, of course the pavillions in case of rain are 250 paces from the parking lot, I counted them.
So there you have it, you guys think about it, I don't mind going wherever you guys think is a good place.
Josephine.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

That sounds perfect to me - unless anyone else here does not like it close to the cars and under the trees it is!

Please people, let us know what you think, and let us have fun.
Now we have to work on the date, early October, so as not to make it too close to the all Texas R.U. in early November.
Josephine.

That sounds good to me--if it rains, we run to the pavillion.

Dallas, TX

I am just getting here... so I will just go with the flow.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Lets say first Sat. in Oct. at the wildscape entrance at Vetrans Park starting at 9 a.m. ? At least that is my idea...

That sounds good to me, Mitch, that would be October 7th, right?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Right Oct 7th.

Oct 7th is good for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.