Dallas Plant Swap - Working out our date and place.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll put it on the calendar!

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Me too! My younger son and his sweet wife are moving from Lubbock to Dallas between now and then, and we will pay them a visit!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I will put the date on my calendar and hope for the best. Not sure what I will be able to do at that time of the year. I will at least come visit if I am able to.

Great Pat, it will be good to see you!

This message was edited May 21, 2006 10:02 PM

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow! things are warming up, thank you every one. It will be great to see you all again.
Josephine.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Sounds great I will ear mark the date - lets get cuttings going!

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Got it posted on my calender. Will be great to see everyone again. Ted

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I put the date in my phone calendar. Hopefully, I will be able to make this one!

I hope so too Stacy, I haven't seen you for a while.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

OK--did ya'll settle on a place for Oct 7th?

By the way the Houston Bulb and Plant Mart (a very good source for unusual plants) runs this year from Oct 12-14.

Dosn't look like they will see much of me at work from Oct 5-Oct 14.

bump--

Yes Debbie, Veterans Park, October 7th, nine am.

Dallas, TX

all I will have is Hostas... I wanted to try proper gate some stuff like that Vitex an my Fringr flower. I just been so down under with my hip and the Sciatica... I could not do anything. But I am getting back!:) Slowly but surely. Hmm I might just do that this weekend. Mitch/Josephine ...please tell what was the componets of that soil mixture again?

Sylvia, thae mixture is 2 parts plain potting soil, 2 parts peat moss, and 1 part perlite.
Keep the plants wet, and in the shade, and it should work.
Josephine.

Dallas, TX

Thanks Jo, I am on it! :)

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I have this on my calendar and hope to attend!

Great! its looking good.

Do we need to start a thread to see what folks want propogated or just post it here?
Debbie

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

What so you think ya'll? If people are ok with doing it here this would be fine with me - if not I will start a new thread let me know!

I just need to get started--esp. on seeds. Don't want to grow things thru the heat unless folks want them.

Making me a list of "things to do" now that I've survived this year...lol

Did the RU fall, November, in College Station ever get confirmed? April says she'll come up to Dallas Ru with me--she's the 'adventurous' type too.

Any of ya'll know somewhere maybe 'scenic' with a lake or something like within 20 miles or so of Veteran's Park that might be more interesting than say a motel to stay at?

By the way the southern magnolias are blooming down here after all this rain....smells like Heaven; even if it is Houston..lol

Debbie, are talking about a campground or a motel by the lake?
At this time nothing comes to mind, but I will do some checking around.
Josephine,

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Cedar Hill Park is nice if you girls are the camping type.

Not a campground--maybe nice cabins by a fishing lake that you can never get reservations for in summer? Rocks and canyons would be nice...kinda flat down here.

I need to google state parks and surrounding areas...

Dallas, TX

Sweezel ... are you Linda who was at the RU in College Station?

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Most of our scenery is like yours - flat. There are hills that run between Dallas and Ft worth, but don't seem to be any adjoining getaways. Cedar Hill State Park on Joe Pool Lake is the is really the only thing like that within 20 miles, but there are no cabins at the state park or lodging on the lake.

There are other places with hills etc, but no where within 20 miles. You would have to drive at least an hour to Weatherford, Mineral Wells, Granbury to get anything hilly with a nice lake, etc. If you want to do the drive, Mineral Wells state park has cabins has beautiful

Lake Grapvine is not too shabby, but the only lodging is the Gaylord Resort and it's pricy. Lake Worth & Eagle Mountain Lake are pretty and about 30 or so minutes from there, but I don't know if they have any lodging or cabins. Can't seem to find any online.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I took forever to hit send on the last post and just saw the question Sylvia.

Nope, not me - my name is Staci and I missed the roundup due to a conflict.

I'll do some looking during the hot part of the day tomorrow...I may be asking the impossible, like that would be the first time..lol

Debbie, if you don't have to have the lake and cabins, you could stay at a motel near the Fort Worth Botanical gardens, they are beautiful, and they also have a gorgeous Japanese garden.
There is the Trinity river park right actross the street with a little train that goes all through it and you can ride it.
The Fort Worth stockyards are nearby, with a great big country western nightclub, and downtown Fort Worth is really nice to walk in the evenings, it is very safe and a lot of people walk.
They have little white lights on all the trees lining the streets and it is beautiful, you can also ride a horse drawn carriage in downtown Fort Worth, so it can be a lot of fun.
Have I sold you on it yet?
Josephine.

Now that sounds pretty good--is veterans park near Fort Worth?

Dallas, TX

Hey Debbie if you do all that I want to hang out with you? LOL
Debbie do you remember Linda who was at the RU in CS? I have been trying to remember her screen name. I never did tell her I was gone because I fell asleep in the car.....:)

Sylvia-
I guess if there's not enough local 'scenary' to take in local 'culture' will do. You're always welcome to join the fun. lol

Maybe Linda Tx8 or something like that?
;)

Dallas, TX

I just feel so terrible, she was so nice to me when my hips were hurting ... went and got me a chair everything ...sigh. Wasnt she the one that was giving out the ferns or was that you?

Sheesh! I hope I never need a pain pill again! LOL

Smockette had the ferns--I know, because its this first fern that hasn't died on me. Who knows...maybe hostas next? lol

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Ferns in TX.... how deep of shade would we need for those?

A closet for me--I have a little, but not much more than you do Mitch.

Dallas, TX

Thats Linda ... Smockett! Now I remember! Those are the hardiest ferns I ever had... I just put them in the soil about a week ago and they were still growing... what kind ferns are they anyway? I would love to have some more of them.
Mitch mine was in the sun all the time...then again its not as hot as it was then. I am having shade problem myself, the city cut my shade trees way back ... it going to take two three years before it come back the way it was ... my poor Hostas .... now I have the Cannas around them .. hopefully they will help to shade them...Lord Knows I got enough ... about nine pots ... would have more but the city of Portland has not shown up and that robert something or the other.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Makes it hard, it is not the temps that get things it is the blazing sun.. I even (forgive me) planted corn this year in my new flower beds to give the babies some shade thier first year... Dont guess corn would work for a fern...

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Cannas... just love them... how tall are yours mine are only 1 - 2 foot tall right now this year. i thought they got taller then that already but I might have been wrong... just feels like they should be taller by now.

sword ferns I think she said.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

And they take some sun... sounds like a dream come true....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.