Dallas Plant Swap - Working out our date and place.

Dallas, TX

Some of my Cannas have really taken off. The Wyoming, King Hubert and something else, I will look at the names if they are still on the pot. I guess they are about 3 or 4 ft.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

nothing here is even close to that... ... .. ... there are a few that might just lose their place here if they dont get up there this year!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Mitch, the older the plant on the cannas it seems the taller they get. Ones that I have in semi-shade are also getting taller than the ones in direct sun this year. I have some burgandy leaf ones that I traded for last year that didn't get tall until later in the year, but this year they are taller than my garden variety reds.
This is going to be another hot week ahead. Mid-90s and no rain!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I here you no rain... I have been watering like nuts... if Esther knew how much water went out there i would be in huge trouble!

Older cannas - maybe that is it seeing the bigger ones I got from TA are already bigger then the rest I have... those root are huge. I get it - I got some little babies there then!

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Debbie, the area that I was talking about is 25 miles from Arlington and Veternas park, so that could be workable if you want to do those things.
Josephine.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Debbie it is in my stomping grounds. I will get you some brochures from our visitor's center. Are you in the addy section? If not email me your address and I will mail them this week.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes--I'm in the addy. Thanks Sheila!

I can't wait to see the expression on their face at work when I tell them I have to go to Fort Worth for a vacation.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL! Well you know we don't see sites in our own state enough sometime. There is so much of it I would love to take time to see. We have a very diverse State from one end to the other!

Anybody got any summer phlox they can root? I'd espiecially like that variety David something or other that's supposed to be good in Texas. Or some white...I'm sure I got something you miught want.

I have the Carolina phlox it is bright pink and smell wonderful.

Does that variety hold up to humidity?

I really don't know, but it does great for me and it is native.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I have heard that the David Pholx can taek your area fine... finding it that would be the problem. I have no idea who grows it.

Then I'll try it--I just got some white Texas Star Hibiscus--if I can get some seeds this year I'll start you some. I suspect you might already have the white variety. Also got a red crossvine coming in the mail--its only coming from La. next day mail so I'm hoping it survives. Have any of that? I'm betting I can do cuttings of that before long...lol

I've heard some folks in San Antoine have it--but I can't remember the name of the place.

How far would you guys think I need to seperate the 'Alba' variety of Texas Star to keep the seed true? Like if the reds in the back would the front yard be enough didtance. There are a lot closer 'bee magnets' in the back. Like my vitex and clerondendrum ugandense. The plants and the seeds of the 'Alba' are hard to come by---I definitely want to propagate this plant

O.k. I will pot some up for you after it finishes blooming.
I don't have the white Texas star hibiscus so it will be nice to have one of those.
Thank you very much.
Josephine.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I dont have those... sound great .. now I have to find things to start? Lantana for sure... not sure what else!

Do you have red Mitch? I'll try to start you a white too. Don't you have canna's? Folks like those!

I guess putting it in the front yard would be enough distance, I don't think the bees are very excited about texas star, there are other flowers the are a lot more attractive to them.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I do but T.A.Rodgers always brings cannas - shoot that is where I got most of mine! I do have some brass pots and odds and ends to bring again... just need to get some plant started. I do have some canna with the bright red leaves thatpeople love.. oh and Rosemary I can start that too... got to get the brain working.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

My cannas 2 year are about finished blooming. Will be dividing them this fall.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

These are in the shade and have not bloomed yet,

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

That always looks so good... a little like home...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

This is my first orange/yellow that Ted gave me at the Arlington Swap last year. Isn't it georgeous??!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is a close up. Photos are the work of the DH of course. :-))

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

canna lily 'florence vaughan' (canna x generalis)
I have more of those to give away in Oct. Plus some different ones.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh thanks Ted, I didn't try to look it up yet. Great!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

You have blooms? arg... 3 foot some of them but no blooms here... arg...

Wow--that was fun. Just locked myself out of the house for 2 hours--amazing how long teenagers can stay at the nail salon. That'll teach me to want to get out there and water the turf grass...lol

Ted that's some nice place you got there--but I knew you must have a beautiful place with all those plants you had at the spring RU. My Magilla Perilla loves its new home.

Nice pictures Sheila--those look great too.

Mitch; you can start me some lantana--mine are not in a good draining location (underneath the Cypress Trees...that love water) and will probably perish there in August. That plant doesn't much like me--when I was younger I never had the patience to leave it in one area for 3 years so it would mature.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

standing or trailing and what color - trailing - yellow and purple, standing pink and yellow, red, white, and some orange. LMK what ones to start ya - Mitch

The only kind I have is the 'run of the mill' orange and yellow type--so any would be nice.
Maybe pink, red, white?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Ohhhh do I have a world for you... I will bring a little of each to swap and let you pick them... so many colors - Dallas Red Lantana being my personal Fav....

Dallas, TX

Mitch the Cannas I told you about are King Hubert red, King Hubert orange, Wyoming, Red Stripe and Cleopatra. These bad boys are huge! I got to try and read what the other five are. Then again Mitch you should have some of everything I have! What about the Robert Vaughn and the City of portland? Do you have them labled? Because I dont ... oh well we can always look them up.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I dont know about Robert Vaughn but I do have city of Portland when they bloom I will see them in the row.... I planted my cannas in row around the gardens and well.... bad thing is that they are not marked like everything else sooo i know what I ahve out there just not until it blooms need to write it down this year when they bloom....

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

I cant find my list of the ones I have. Know two of them are Pretoria and Stripped Beauty. Would likel to trade.

Dallas, TX

I think I have a Pretoria too???? Here are some pics. I have them shading my Hostas

Dallas, TX

I think this is Wyoming

Dallas, TX

Two more
Ted ... one of these is your Florence Vaughn:) Mitch , that other Canna is not Robert Vaughn, its Robert something else...its some man's name! LOL

This message was edited Jun 7, 2006 10:01 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Are you sure the red one is not Tropicana? Looks like Tropicana...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.