Dallas Plant Swap - Working out our date and place.

Dallas, TX

Sheila, I have no idea. Did you give me the plant or Mitch?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I had some at the Arlington swap last year, but I am not sure if I gave you any of it. I know I gave you a start of horsetail. But my question is, don't you have a small water feature? I thought you did and had put several of the water plants in there. Anyway, Pickerel really takes off in water.

Dallas, TX

No I dont have a water. my intentions was to make one, if I could ever stop planting stuff. I bought a barrell ... but I planted a tree in it. ... need more shade for my Hostas. The city or someone came out and cut the trees back so far I hardly have any shade... which reminds me I need to go to the Dollar store and see if they have any more pots. I got sixteen Hostas to pot up ... in all this heat. I am so bored in this house.:)

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mitch---
Do you have enough of these happy Tx Star's in red? I was going to start some seed tomorrow--how many might you be needing to keep your Canna's Company? I know you want that orangish/pinkish hyssop too.

Anyone else need any?

I started some other seed but I'll keep my mouth shut until I see them germinate....
Debbie

Dallas, TX

Debbie that is soooo pretty....I will be glad when mine grow up. how big does it have to be to bloom?

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Debbie, Mitch will be back Monday, he is on vacation, I am sure he will love to have the plants.

Mine started at about 3' Sylvia. Got 2 white ones yesterday for an area I want paler colors.

Dallas, TX

Debbie is it time to look for the baby Vitex?

Sylvia--I noticed a fairly good sized one under mine yesterday--will get out there and dig it for you today....I would think anytime after about now up that way. Mine's kind of 'in between' blooming cycles but is growing by leaps and bounds. Seems like that plant never did need time to 'settle in' and started growing the minute it hit the dirt. How was your luck with the cuttings?

Got an interesting, very aromatic salvia yesterday called salvia clevelandii.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/261/index.html
One of the most aromatic plants I've ever seen. Beats most sages for smell. Cost all of a dollar...lol. I'm going to get it in the ground by this weekend so it will be big enough for cuttings soon. Very interesting plant.

Got two semi-tropicals that I guess I will have to pull in the winter but couldn't resist. One is clerondendrum incisum and it was on $6 for a good sized, soon to bloom plant.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/67699/index.html
One cool plant huh?
The other is mussaenda luteola for a $1. There isn't a picture of it in the PlantFiles so I will get it in there as soon as it blooms. I intentionally did not get a blooming specimen so it would grow a bit first.

Also found a trailing scutellaria which is completely different from the pink Texas skullcap.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/76981/index.html

Also picked up two mexican oregano plants--pollomintha longiflo.

All of these plants look really easy to propogate from cuttings after a bit of summer growth.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 8:07 AM

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 8:09 AM

Dallas, TX

Debbie where do you find these natives? I never seen them in a store ... I dont think. That purple one and the tropical is to die for. I am waiting for cuttings...:)
Please dont ask me about my cuttings .... I forget to water them. I got to start over...:(

Sylvia--
The aromatic salvia (I assume that's the purple you are talking about) should be easy to start from cuttings--I just need to get it into the ground today so it will get some good growth by the end of August. I always shop at the non-chain privately owned nurseries.
The mexican oregano:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2586/index.html

I'm using to fill in part of an area that held tomato plants because the flower color blends well with the rangoon creeper growing near it, its also short for near the front of the bed, its perennial; and most importantly it will handle full blazing sun!

Hey, I just looked out the window and rain is falling from the sky. Oh happiness! My 2 mexican oregano's, 3 John Fannick summer phlox's, and my two white Tx Star's that I planted late yesterday afternoon will get watered in well and hopefully shaded a bit by the cloudy skies. I can't believe I actually timed something right. lol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Really, Debbie?!? It's sunny here!! LOL You'd think we lived 50 miles apart instead of about 7.

Its a light rain--but at least its cloudy!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It is actually cloudy here now. There is a 70% chance of rain today, 60% tomorrow, and 50% on Sunday - I hope we get it all three days!!!

I hope we get an inch each day...I figure while we are dreaming, may as well dream for exactly what we need!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I sure would love to have some!!

I had a great time in New Mexico but we are soooo glad to be back in TEXAS!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The weather is just teasing.. it thunders and the wind picks up and the sky gets really dark and scary looking - and then it all goes away and now it is back to being bright and sunny and hot. Maybe I should turn the sprinkler on after all.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome back Mitch! I think we are suppose to get rain in DFW area tomorrow, did you not get any today??

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I thought we would - not a dear drop... clouds but nothing else.

So good to be back.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

It looked like it was threatening to rain this morning, but the skies were clear and sunny as I drove home after work. What a pleasant surprise to find a little water standing in several places!

Debbie, I got one of the salvia clevelandii's about a month ago, still haven't gotten it into the ground! I bought it because of the super fragrant leaves, what neat flowers they have, also. Do you know anything about water requirements? PalntFiles didn't really say anything, and I've learned that not all salvias like to be dry.

Mitch, what part of NM did you visit?

Dallas, TX

Mitch would this have been one of those trips where you would bring back the garden saints? ;)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

God watered my yard and plants last night!!!! Yea! By the looks of it we will have a big one this morning too. There is a cell moving in from out west that looks like a thunder storm, just hope if there is hail that it is little.

We had one decent rainfall yesterday morning--stayed cooler (about 88) all day--I even managed to put up the supports for a vine and will plant the vine today. Hopefully we will have more today.

Sylvia--have you thought about bamboo in a pot for shade? I don't know anything about bamboo except some are invasive but they can grow tall fast, huh?
Debbie

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I was near Santa Fe and Taos. Just a stunning area but nothing I could take so little grows there!

No saints on this trip - I did see the shrine to St Rosa de Lima there and what a stunning view! They had some of the best retabulos out there but 500-5000 dollars they are a little out of my budget! But I did take great pics because the retabulos look really easy to paint so i just might try my had with some and see what you all think on here... They are some stunning churches that are just stunning.... sooooo stunning. We had to go up to the shrine to our Lady of Peace - she came to Santa Fe with the Spanish stayed to go to Mexico and they to the New Mexico we have today.

It was a great trip, and being a plant man I have a bag full of cuttings to try to get rooted....

Mitch

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

From Santa Fe to Taos, you were in my in-laws' area! You probably didn't take hwy 75 through Penasco to Taos, but that's where my mother-in-law lives, and two of her grown children & a grandchild. Since Albert died in February, she is going to sell her home and move either to TX or OK. Albert is buried in the National Cemetery in Santa Fe.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I went right by that cemetery everyday. We stayed in Chimayo, but went and saw Pueblo Ruins, Tent Rocks, and so many of the little cities. We traveled up and down the Sangre de Cristo Mts. and almost made it to Los Alamos (if we had not went on to Tent Rocks we would have made it!). Such a great area just sooo dry.. but some of the flowers there I am just going to have to see if they are Texas Natives too!

Dallas, TX

Mitch your trip sound fascinating! Did you drive to all these places?

Debbie I did think of Bamboo a while a go, a friend of mine bought a house where it is plentiful. Thanks for bringing it up. :)

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Sure did - 12 hours there and day trips each day between meetings... and then after they where over and then a day back to get here... very long trip!

I have a bamboo growing in a kiddie pool in the back yard - looks like it is in the ground but I know just how big it is going to get.

Dallas, TX

Wow I would love to make a trip like that.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Fun to make but better to just be home. So many plants to care for and work to do now... but you know I would do it again in a heart beat! So much history there, saw homes from over 4,000 years ago all the way the the modern Pueblos... just a great trip.

(Nothing when you look at Rome - I cannot fathom what that must have been like... )

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You will have to post a thread on the photo forum for us to see so we can live vicarariously!

Frisco, TX(Zone 7b)

Newbie here ...

... I am in Frisco, and will be attending the Oct 7th swap. This is really an FAQ type thing, but (being a newbie) how should I approach the swap ... what to bring, etc. - Just looking for some veteran guidance.

(and keeping with the current thread)
Also, we had six drops of rain at 10am here. The iPod is coming in REALLY handy now that I have to hand water in Stage 3 restrictions.

Cheers
W Jones

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Greetings fellow gardener! All new and old and friends are welcome, glad you are attending this fall. Sounds weird calling it this fall that's less that 4 months away! I am definately not a veteran, last year was my first swap, but I don't mind jumping in first.

Wear comfortable cool clothes We will discuss snacks and drinks later on this thread, or a new one with a link on this thread. Then we bring cameras too, here is a link at the bottom with pictures from the one last year.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/548842/ Last Dallas (Arlington) Swap in 2005

You don't have to bring plants to swap, but they are always welcome additions. You will go home with more than you bring as a rule, LOL! Label your plants with a marker, tape, etc. Use the common name or more if you know it. Some will bring cuttings in wet paper towels and foil, but most people have rooted starts of items in small foam cups, butter tubs, or small 4" pots, or grocery sacs. We also, before the swap, offer up items that we are bringing and do some swapping on the thread before we get there. You may want to make a list of what you want or what you have and post it later. It is a fun bunch of folks that will be coming, and you can put a face with the online ID. After that we tend to call each other by the "real" names. LOL! Look forward to meeting you.
Sheila

This message was edited Jun 17, 2006 3:31 PM

This message was edited Jun 17, 2006 3:33 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

That really sums it up - bring what you can with you and just wait for your car to be full of way too many plants to come home with!

Dallas, TX

WJONES WELCOME!! I dont know how much space you have, but be prepared to start filling it up with plants from the RU's. I have been to the last two and I cant put another thing in my courtyard, I hardly have enough room to move around out there. I am not going to be asking for anything. lol Except for what Debbie is bringing. lol
I hope to be giving on this trip.

MITCH...Do you need any Beneficial Nemetodes(sp ?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Never even heard of them.. what do they do?

Dallas, TX

I know you have looked it up by now...:) its some sort of microscopic worm that kills insects that lurk in the soil. I got three Hostas that something is eating them up ...maybe grubs. I was going to share it with my DG buddy in California, but the stuff has to be kept in the refrigerator. I got enough to cover 8000 sq ft.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Sure would.. do they need shade plants or do they do good with sun plants too... Dave mail me for details..

Dallas, TX

Mitch are you talking to me? if you are ... you are totally lost. lol

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Yes I am - Dave mail sent - sorry

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.