Dallas Plant Swap - Working out our date and place.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

UHH excuse me, SHE?

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Sorry I did not know. LOL
Us guys need to stick togather.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

There are so few men on here I guess I am talking to a woman most of the time myself..

On a side note - How do you guys feel about a Sunday late afternoon swap? I was accepted to grad school and looks like it will have Sat classes so if it cannot be moved for ya'll I will just help Josephine the week before get ready and head over to her the week afterwords for any plants and such. Just an idea I am throwing out there!

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes we do TA.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Congratulations, Mitch!!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you - I just got the news like 5 mins before I posted for sure.. you guys got to know before my family! best part they are going to take some of my old hours at the grad level and let me use them - to much good news for one day.

late Sat afternoon/evening would work great for me too... I soo want to go this year can you tell?

Waxahachie, TX(Zone 8a)

Mitch-

Yay!

I'll stop by to see that grass-free garden/yard asap!
I love to hear that there's less grass & more plants, & I love to hear about growing trees.

I forgot about redbuds, I have a bunch of them, too, that I can pot up for the swap if anyone wants one/some.

How many Indian Chiefs would you like?
I have bunches, & they have to be moved within a month.

also have
2 Pat Austin roses,
1 maybe 2 Sun Flare, &
some yellow or white or both irises that have to be moved within a month.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

I am hoping to come, along with my DH Robert. Any day or time is good for us and we'll be camping at our younger son's house (unknown location in the Dallas area as DS and DDIL are house-looking at this time).

We've had a couple of bumps in the road in the last few weeks, but Robert is recovering from a light stroke in June and last week's heart attack followed by angioplasty amazingly well. We are both ready for a few quiet, calm, and boring weeks.

Mitch, what do you think about a separate thread for have's and want's? The one for the fall RU in College Station helped me so much in being organized.

Looking forward to seeing many of you again and meeting others,

Patricia

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes please Mitch, I have gotten so confused so I decided to wait until closer to the date before listing anything. Just today after work, the thread has been so busy!

Oh and I also missed what the opportunity was that others are congratulating you about too??

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Sylvia - dont come over with out an email I have to go sign the final papers and everything this week!! I will take all the Iris you got - in fact I will even come and dig them up if you want. I have to work on a school garden too - so i can take all you can give me!

Patrob - I will start those threads now I guess, I was going to wait but we are in full swing!

Sheila - today I found out I am in the graduate school I start class the first of Aug!! So much to do to get ready!!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Here is the thread - please post all lists over here -
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/625768/

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, that is great Mitch, I know you are excited, and feeling the pressure too. Congrats!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks - the goal is to go on after this for my PhD... I hope everything works out for that!

Nevada, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi, sorry to butt in. I am a new DG subscriber and somewhat newbie gardener. I saw this thread, and though I have never been to a plant swap I'm very interested. I would love any pointers, etiquette, etc.. that anyone can offer. I could bring vitex/chaste tree, Mexican elderberry, sweet autumn clematis, winter honeysuckle, French hollyhock and crinum bulbs. (Probably some other things, have to look.) Thanks, Dawn

Mitch - don't know you yet, but Congrats!

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Welcome to Dg Dawn! Congrats Mitch; thinking about administration?
What kind of crinums? I have these:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/64366/index.html
I would like to trade for something like other varieties of crinums or Louisiana Iris varieties I don't already have.
Debbie

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

DawninTx, You can come to a swap even if you don't have anything to trade, we would love to meet you. Usually people will have extra plants and be happy to give you what you need.

We normally start a thread for( haves) and (wants) and that way we can assign the plants ahead of time and make it easier at the Swap, most people do bring some extras.

All of us bring some food to share and each person brings a small item for a door prize.
Good things to bring could be a gardening book or garden related items or something just fun, but nothing expensive.

We have a lot of fun seeing friends we saw last year and meeting new ones, it is nice to put the names and the faces together.

We look forward to meeting you. If you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Josephine.

Dallas, TX

OH BOY MITCH! HOW COOL CONGRATULATIONS.! YOU ARE GOING TO BE ONE BUSY PERSON.

[email protected]

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome Dawn, look forward to meeting you at the swap! The link for the haves, and wants is back a few posts, Mitch has set it up. The Chaste Vitex tree is something I am interested in for sure. As for what I can offer, that will be a later project, not ready to list yet.
Glad you found DG!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

No admin,,, not even close...

I will be working on my Masters of Divinity - a fancy name for 72 hours of theology, Greek and Hebrew... sounds like fun right? But it will open so many doors that we would like to move into... there is a chance that the US Army, University teaching post, Hospital, Police,.. the list goes on and on will pick us up and they might even pay for the whole thing. The job changes from place to place but sounds like something really enjoyable and a change of pace... I must confess that being around little kids all day is not what I want to be doing in a few years... I cannot say that education in any way shape or from is what I want to be doing in a few years.

So this is the Fitzgeralds phase two... with more education and more pay we hope!

Longview, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey mitch, if you're interested in anything pastoral when you're finished, let me know. My husband owns a pastoral staffing firm and we place people all over the US.

Mitch--I'm just happy to see that your not going into administration...You know what they say; Those that can teach, teach and those that can't....
;)

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Trust me I know all about the ones who cannot teach - I have three of them right now. I am just learning that I will never be able to go back to the gym and I am not interested in staying in a classroom to be really honest. When it comes time to test I go nuts - the kids do great (the best in the firt grade here, but that is not saying much) but I get myself sick with all the worry and work to get them there. So time for a change of pace - even at this it will take a year or two to really have something worked out.

green - you have Dmail

If you are reading this thread--please go here and vote on the proposed date change:
[[email protected]]
Thanks!

Longview, TX(Zone 8a)

I can't click on the hyperlink...why are we proposing a date change?

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

It is in the process of deciding whether to change to Sunday because Mitch can not be there untill late, because of classes. Let us know your opinion, please.
Here is the link, I hope this one works.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/626197/

Longview, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Josephine...I voted. =)

That's because I got lazy and cut and pasted it--sorry.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Nothing wrong with cut and paste. Just remember to hit the space bar after you paste the link.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, Mitch, you might wanna check out some of the private nurseries around. Have you ever been to Monday's in Garland? Not as big as, say, Northaven, but great selection.

I've also heard Weston Gardens in Bloom is great. I used to work with Randy Weston years ago, until he left to start the nursery. Haven't ever made it out there, but I keep thinking I'll make a visit.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I haven't seen the whole garden myself. I only live a few miles away. It was so hot when we went a couple years ago that I only saw what was up close to the main building. Maybe we can have a nursery tour next spring when it is cooler, and see Weston and maybe another, then have lunch.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I'd be interested in seeing some really good nurserys. Haven't been real impressed with the ones I've seen so far.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I would love a tourt of some of the better ones here in the spring - Shelia maybe you could get that together for next March or early April?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I will be happy to put it on my scheldule and try. January would be a good time to start talking it up, everyone will be so anxious for Spring about then. LOL! I was really impressed with Martha's Bloomers when we had the RU in April. I don't know that we have anything that exciting up here, but we can check around.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Great - I will be really ready to see what comes up from this one!!

Dallas, TX

OOOOOOOhhhhhhhh Sheila that sound Greattttt! ... then you can come vist Sylvia Hostas, they should look good at that time. I would love to see this Weston place, never heard of it. There is also a place at Inwood and Lovers lane that really interesting. And there is another shop in the Knox/Henderson area my boss keep telling me about. I donr know if they sell plants but they wonderful plant paraphnelia. Probaly expensive if he goes there. There are loads of nurseries going far north and far west. I will help you dig up some places Sheila. Martha's Bloomers was very nice, not many plants, but oh the paraphenalia! I got my fifty dollar blue strawberry pot so protected outside, you cant see it! lol

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sylvia, you and Mary sat and talked, while I walked around at MB. You didn't see all the plants I saw. LOL! There is one on the west side of FW called Archie's that has a lot of plants. It has been there a long time. I haven't gotten to look around the whole thing because I usually run there at lunch time. LOL!
I only live a few minutes from Weston Gardens, so you will need to come to my house if we go to that one. In fact we could meet at my house and car pool from there. But that is next year, let's take it slow, we still have time to plan that one.
Now back to the Dallas (Arlington) Swap.......

Dallas, TX

Sheila remember I could not do a lot of walking anyway. :) I sure wish I had gotten that red passion flower ....

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I wish you would have gotten it too Sylvia; I would be asking for a rooted cutting about now! LOL!

Here is link to the plant lists:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/628687/

And for the Food and help:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/625768/

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Those who have lists on this thread should cut and paste in into the plants list. above. I overlooked this link because it goes so fast.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.