What 'spin has been up to

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

This is something like crafts and something like decorating. A former fellow-classmate of my husband's (in medical school) and his wife-who-is-his-office-manager recently relocated their office to a building that was build in the early 1930's. The building is being restored, and they jumped on the boat: they decorated in the theme of Los Angeles-1930's. When they called to invite us to the openhouse, I thought, "Why not give them something classier (and longer lasting) than a bottle of wine?"

My next thought was, "What the heck is LA-'30's???" Well, thank heaven for the Internet! -- Los Angeles in the 1930's was ArtDeco, specifically 'Skyscraper Deco' -- despite the fact that LA had no skyscrapers until the 50's -- and the first big flush of Hollywood and the talkies.

So with 14 days and counting, I hit eBay and Michael's big time and, voila, I was quite pleased with the shadowbox I was able to produce.

Here, all-but-done (before putting behind the glass):
~'spin!~

Thumbnail by crystalspin
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

And here, after presenting to the new owners, on his desk next to the "period" radio!

That is a copy of the Maltese Falcon peeking over the box.
~'spin!~

Thumbnail by crystalspin
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

P.S. It is titled, "Nina in California"...reflecting on Nina Mae McKinney, "discovered" in Harlem/NYC in 1928 and the first black actress to be offered and take a contract with a major movie company (MGM) in Hollywood.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Spin, that's so cool -- I love the little light fixture and the pillow on the chair. Great little details, those.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks GW! I made the sconce lamp from a 1" mirror, the loop part of a toggle (jewelry fitting), and a white snail-type shell.

The pillow is part-n-parcel with the chair; it/they are entirely hard resin! -- looking ever-so like soft fabric (or maybe blue suede?) and peacock feathers. The artist is Ann Raine; her line of "Take-A-Seat" miniature chairs was produced by Willitts Designs, and all are retired.

I took the peacock as a sub-theme ('sub' to ArtDeco-L.A. in general) by printing the one on the wall (cut-n-pasted from a vintage enamel ladies' compact c.1927, London), and the shiny things on the right side of the table are peacock feather appliques or embroidered patches.

It was loads of fun, if a tad stressful because of the deadline and my everlasting clumsiness!

~'spin!~
"Life is in the details!"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images